Hideo Kojima

+
Kojima is overrated.
See him for who he really is, objectively: a creative guy who sometimes comes up with great ideas, and sometimes with crappy ones (even within the same game).

Just... no. After the post-apocalyptic fed ex delivery simulator, I'll HARD pass on that notion. Hideo is badly in need of being managed to pump out something sane and [...].

I mean Death Stranding was amazing IMO. Not everyone's cup of tea but he had the balls to try do something different and honestly he did an insane job. Started with no studio, to having a complete and incredibly imaginative game out the door in around 4 years. I think people really don't understand just how insane the work Kojima and his team did to push that game out.

As for the point itself, Kojima has his own studio, he does his own thing. He makes the games he wants to make now. I don't see him doing collabs or working for other dev teams unless his studio is bought out. Cameo's and such sure, if you know Kojima you know he loves that kinda thing.

Sure! Solid snake? Revolver ocelot? Psychomantis? Who the fuck are those guys? Never heard of them

top 5? Rpg? Cyberpunk? In which universe?
I know one of them, if i remember correctly he is a literal clone of the main char from an 80s action film on par with Rambo. My best guess about the rest - they're words chosen from oxford dictionary by RNG

Kojima is a crazy man so he needs a team that can give him some fewer ideas. so we don't end up like what to the not the do let's do. love him by the way. but cdpr and Kojima don't work in my opinion.

I know one of them, if i remember correctly he is a literal clone of the main char from an 80s action film on par with Rambo. My best guess about the rest - they're words chosen from oxford dictionary by RNG
LOL
So sorry you missed MGS. One of the Best games ever.
Psychomantis, is the character all arasaka ninjas are based on. He could read your memory card and, while fighting, talk to you about the other stuff you play, mocking you, in a sort of psychological warfare. He was impossible to beat until you change the controller to slot 2, cause he could read your mind.
Like 937383927 times more cool and interesting than any boss in CP77.
Who is rambo? Snake? Pff, alright. But no, you dont remember correctly.
You probably were underage when msg, so you played the fourth one as your first, unferstanding nothing.
Didnt get what you meant with the rng thing, but you shouldnt shit on things you dont know.

Don't let him make a CP-like game. CDPR should invite him in as a "guest designer", give him a team, the tools, and like 6 months and let him go to town. That would be sick to let CDPR flex the tools and let some heavy weights craft a tale or two.
In game development there's not a lot you can do in 6 months on a AAA title. Maybe if they want to involve other game designers let them write some quests or design some characters. To have them develop a whole new part of a game start to finish as if its a fully formed "mini" is not feasible.

But to play along with your thread, as much as I like Kojima, even though most of his games are ridiculous, I think the most practical way and even the best way for him to contribute to this game at all would be to write a single quest line.
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:
LOL
So sorry you missed MGS. One of the Best games ever.
Psychomantis, is the character all arasaka ninjas are based on. He could read your memory card and, while fighting, talk to you about the other stuff you play, mocking you, in a sort of psychological warfare. He was impossible to beat until you change the controller to slot 2, cause he could read your mind.
Like 937383927 times more cool and interesting than any boss in CP77.
Who is rambo? Snake? Pff, alright. But no, you dont remember correctly.
You probably were underage when msg, so you played the fourth one as your first, unferstanding nothing.
Didnt get what you meant with the rng thing, but you shouldnt shit on things you dont know.

No i was not underage but coming from PCMR background, building my own rigs etc. being familiar with it only from 4th is correct. And yes i admit what i said in theory is guilty in painting it too black-and-white - i actually do kind of realise that 1-3 had an actual story and it was semi-coherent and was not solely contrived to make the next random cutscene fit in. Even in an ideal 1-3 scenario the 'semi' part might not be up to CDPR standard of writing though.

We are all talking pure hypotheticals here - but no matter what, without time travel we would NOT get the guy who wrote 1-3. We would get someone who wrote 5 and Death Stranding which is an extreme opposite of both what C77 is and what it should be.

Yeah no...I used to think that he was talented, but let's be honest here; the man is really only known for a single franchise.
Kojima strikes me as one of those guys who found decent success, and then crawled all the way up his own rear end and now thanks he a genius, when in reality he's nothing without someone sane to keep him tied down. Let the man run wild, and he promises an industry redefining revelation, and delivers one of the most boring games of the decade.

Kojima is just the Japanese Peter Molyneux. There; I said it.
Well, Kojima and Molyneux put something (genre defining / pioneering) down on the table. They have decades of great games behind them, but certain individuals are keen on digging graves when something isn't 110%, just 85%.

I really love Kojima. Guy watched "escape from new york" in 1981 and 6 years later came out with Metal gear. Stole the major character basically (as well as ideas for others) and added some neat gameplay around it.

Guy gets hailed as a hero albeit most story's he tells being absolute messes and overly convoluted, bending the "suspension of disbelieve" attitude with each game further.

Atleast the metal gear games all had neat gameplay. Death's stranding was a narrative mess as well as a gameplay let down.

30 years later he still hailed as one of the greatest.

I really love Kojima. Guy watched "escape from new york" in 1981 and 6 years later came out with Metal gear. Stole the major character basically (as well as ideas for others) and added some neat gameplay around it.

Guy gets hailed as a hero albeit most story's he tells being absolute messes and overly convoluted, bending the "suspension of disbelieve" attitude with each game further.

Atleast the metal gear games all had neat gameplay. Death's stranding was a narrative mess as well as a gameplay let down.

30 years later he still hailed as one of the greatest.

I'm currently playing death stranding, I love building trails and exploring. Its some how a relaxing and exciting game at the same time.

Japanese RPGs and a lot of video games have these wild metaphysical stories. I don't see it as a narrative mess, there's a lot of depth to it, and Kojima has a lot to say in the game.

But some people might see emotion in a painting, while the other sees a barn and a tree. We all have our own interpretation.

The game is whole in its vision, purpose and presentation, not pieces of systems hacked together. Kojima vision is pretty clear in the game, the game is consist with itself, that's how you can tell he's a great designer.

I'm currently playing death stranding, I love building trails and exploring. Its some how a relaxing and exciting game at the same time.

Japanese RPGs and a lot of video games have these wild metaphysical stories. I don't see it as a narrative mess, there's a lot of depth to it, and Kojima has a lot to say in the game.

But some people might see emotion in a painting, while the other sees a barn and a tree. We all have our own interpretation.

The game is whole in its vision, purpose and presentation, not pieces of systems hacked together. Kojima vision is pretty clear in the game, the game is consist with itself, that's how you can tell he's a great designer.

Reading this I had the urge to get me some monster energy, to wash it all down you know. Its nice that you do not see it as a narrative mess, yet it still is. Just like any Kojima game is pretty much. The writing is absolutely atrocious. Its just so funny to watch everyone trying justify the game's "greatness" because it was made by Kojima and teased for years with a rather cool screenshot. But if you subtract all the fancy actors and pseudo intellectual vision he tries to sell its just a boring walking simulator filled with commercials. Anyone who is not named hideo kojima would have gotten a trash rating for the same game. Metal gear solid 5 was a terrible game story wise, but the gameplay was so refreshing and open ended that its a blast to play. Atleast it had that going for it, so you could ignore all the mumbojumbo idiocies the characters vomited out on a frequent basis. But Death Stranding has just the cringe dialogue, in between an abominational narrative without any decent gameplay.

Well, Kojima and Molyneux put something (genre defining / pioneering) down on the table. They have decades of great games behind them, but certain individuals are keen on digging graves when something isn't 110%, just 85%.

And lets not forget they both have a nasty habit of promising their latest games will be some sort of revolutionary advancement of the industry in spite of having next to nothing to back that up.

And lets not forget they both have a nasty habit of promising their latest games will be some sort of revolutionary advancement of the industry in spite of having next to nothing to back that up.
Ah... Yes, broken promises.

I remember Kojima promising that MGS4 would have Spanish dubbing, and when it came out it would only be in English. Then to Kojima apologizing for not being dubbed in Spanish, and saying that in the double layer Blue Ray there was not enough space for voices in Spanish... :facepalm:

No , Kojima was good because Konami was the bad a guy and shut off a lot of his crazy ideas , now he has no restrains and look the pseudo movie he created , heck Kojima wants to make movies not games

ya1

Forum regular
Kojima is overrated.

Mostly by himself or so I heard. Genius artist complex. Guy has some truly awesome ideas but not enough filter. Death Stranding was creatively awesome. The amount of fresh SF themes (this is extremely hard to achieve these days by any author) is staggering for a video game. But Kojima's obsession with semantic alignment, word games and explicit emotionalism makes is all so painfully pretentious. (Like the guy who gives himself heart attacks, lives by a heart-shaped lake, and his name is Heartman). Narrative and setting elements characteristic of teenage emo manga are not fitting for such a production. Would be even less fitting for the "cool and mature storytelling" of CDPR.

But it doesn't change a fact that Kojima is a great game designer. He and his team made a perfectly playable mainstream AAA game out of the theme of... walking. After all.

And in case it wasn't mentioned in the thread, Kojima is in Cyberpunk. He's a semi-interactive NPC In Konpeki Plaza bar before the Heist.

Last edited:
^ Exactly. Story wise am prepared to be much more lenient with infantility and emo in episodic unique encounters in a walking simulator leaning towards conceptual art and arthouse cinema - than i will ever be with the main storyline of an espionage thriller or a mil sim lite. Which is why Death Stranding is hardly an indicator of inferiority (both general and Cyberpunk setting specific) - unlike MGSV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom