Hideo Kojima

+
I'm going to post an unpopular opinion here--

*reads thread*

OH THANK GOD! I thought I was the only who didn't think much of his games!

Yeah - look, not my jam at all. Hard pass.

It'd be a fustercluck beyond belief. The guy was hardly the one writing the (pretty good and polished) engine of MGSV. He was responsible for why i never finished it. Let's see:

- 7 missions, all other missions are literally the same 7 - and i do mean 'same missions', not 'very similar missions' - with additional objectives added.
- The story is worthless, up it's own arse pretentious drivel with no point to it other than to show how 'unpredictable' and 'original' the author is - aka cheap artsy. Masking its total inability to convey a message with a 3rd rate 'mystery'.
- Gratz it has the one single absolutely most uninteresting companion in any game i have played to date, with the most boring, lazy and infantile concept behind it too. Seriously, a character that can't communicate and can't wear clothes? Was it written by an insecure teenager WHILE masturbating?
- Other NPCs aren't even cliches, they're images from ciggy packages and B-movie dvd cases.

And it goes on, i could add more - but do i need to? In what world an author of a game with no story to speak of, no missions to speak off and no NPCs to speak of even remotely could be considered to be a part of the creative team of a top5 rpg/adventure?

Considering what Kojima did with MGS 5 (Not only did he screw up Konami, he shit on all his consumers) to force Konami to fire him I wouldn't trust him for anything other than drinking a cheap beer.

Death Stranding, that game is classic Hideo Kojima. So bizzarre. So excellent.

Tedious, and yet serene. It does a really good job at making you feel terrified, and isolated. A few hours in I realized it was actually as much a horror game as it was a walking simulator.

PLUS. It brings something new to gaming with it's physics/hiking/carrying mechanic. It actually felt like I'm hiking over uneven terrain with a crazy backpack. Innovation, and offering new ideas and new mechanics to the industry and pushing it forward is really important. It's not just a game but a proof of concept. I do a lot of hiking, and it FELT like hiking carrying a massive weight. You lose your focus and you'll trip over a rock and eat crap.

It has it's own vision, it has it's own message, it innovates, it plays well, looks great, and is consistent with itself and it's world.

That's really important, I'll say it again. Plays well. Looks great. Is consistent. Innovates.

So yeah, a lot of people could learn from his quality.

Last edited:
Hideo Kojima, Badass game Dev. for all you haterz out there only one thing to say ..... put the crack pipe down and GTFO!

Rudo_

Forum regular
Yeah no...I used to think that he was talented, but let's be honest here; the man is really only known for a single franchise.
Kojima strikes me as one of those guys who found decent success, and then crawled all the way up his own rear end and now thanks he a genius, when in reality he's nothing without someone sane to keep him tied down. Let the man run wild, and he promises an industry redefining revelation, and delivers one of the most boring games of the decade.

Kojima is just the Japanese Peter Molyneux. There; I said it.
For you, maybe. For quite a few million people, death stranding is a masterpiece.
Nothing to do with Molyneux bullshitcube... Or that fucking weird kid-friend-videogame he tried to do.

For you, maybe. For quite a few million people, death stranding is a masterpiece.
Nothing to do with Molyneux bullshitcube... Or that fucking weird kid-friend-videogame he tried to do.

Didn't they turn out to be nothing but a pre-rendered pitch for Kinect that he convinced microsoft was real?

Rudo_

Forum regular
Your higher logic, your heavy use of dialectics, and your "I'm not a multi-account" aura have definitely convinced me.

Right now I cancel my account, i'm going to quit drugs and I will not participate in this forum again.
Very fan of dialectics here
Post automatically merged:

Didn't they turn out to be nothing but a pre-rendered pitch for Kinect that he convinced microsoft was real?
Not sure, but it was creeppy AF

Yeah no...I used to think that he was talented, but let's be honest here; the man is really only known for a single franchise.
Kojima strikes me as one of those guys who found decent success, and then crawled all the way up his own rear end and now thanks he a genius, when in reality he's nothing without someone sane to keep him tied down. Let the man run wild, and he promises an industry redefining revelation, and delivers one of the most boring games of the decade.

Kojima is just the Japanese Peter Molyneux. There; I said it.
This is patently false. Firstly, with maybe the exception of MGSV is respected for making truly unique and yes, industry defining games and is not known just for MGS as you claim. You may have found Death Stranding boring but enough people consider the game to be an interesting and markedly different game that your opinion isn't really the mainline view of the game. I have never played it so I can't comment. Going beyond that, Snatcher, Policenauts and Zone of Ender's are incredibly highly regarded and respected for their ingenuity, so much so that people are asking for sequels to those games to this day.

To suggest he is anything like Peter Molynuex is laughable. There are criticisms of Hideo Kojima that I think can be considered valid, like his infantile and frankly sexist depiction of women and sexuality, but to dismiss the scope and influence of his work on video games art and culture would be a mistake.

He certainly does live up his own asshole and considers himself a genius though, I will agree on that but I don't really care what his personality is like in that regard. Maybe if he were an abusive person I might look at his work differently but just being a bit of a conceited weirdo isn't the biggest crime in the world.

As for the OP, I don't see why Kojima would ever work with this IP, but if he did I think he could create something interesting with it. CDPR's idea of cyberpunk already has the juvenile sexuality of a Kojima game so that's already something to work from. I'm sure Kojima could probably handle the philosophical and political themes of the game a lot better than the writers of CDPR, though this isn't saying much.

Guest 4375874

Don't let him make a CP-like game. CDPR should invite him in as a "guest designer", give him a team, the tools, and like 6 months and let him go to town. That would be sick to let CDPR flex the tools and let some heavy weights craft a tale or two.
LOL No thanks. I've yet to play a Kojima game I liked. They are too long winded, cinematics go on for far too long and the story ....just no. It's his style and I'm sure some ppl like it but just no.

I dont think its own devs can save this game. These massive updates for this and next month +the next gen upgrade better bring some serious polish and improvements or this games more than likely dead.
Hate to break it to you but Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't need "saving". Polish and improvements, sure but certainly not saving and it's not a debate or an opinion. The games performance speaks for itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rudo_

Forum regular
LOL No thanks. I've yet to play a Kojima game I liked. They are too long winded, cinematics go on for far too long and the story ....just no. It's his style and I'm sure some ppl like it but just no.

Hate to break it to you but Cyberpunk 2077 needs "saving". Polish and improvements, sure but certainly not saving and it's not a debate or an opinion. The games performance speaks for itself.
Indeed its not an opinion. Ask sony, and any ps player, for that matter, if needs saving

It'd be a fustercluck beyond belief. The guy was hardly the one writing the (pretty good and polished) engine of MGSV. He was responsible for why i never finished it. Let's see:

- 7 missions, all other missions are literally the same 7 - and i do mean 'same missions', not 'very similar missions' - with additional objectives added.
- The story is worthless, up it's own arse pretentious drivel with no point to it other than to show how 'unpredictable' and 'original' the author is - aka cheap artsy. Masking its total inability to convey a message with a 3rd rate 'mystery'.
- Gratz it has the one single absolutely most uninteresting companion in any game i have played to date, with the most boring, lazy and infantile concept behind it too. Seriously, a character that can't communicate and can't wear clothes? Was it written by an insecure teenager WHILE masturbating?
- Other NPCs aren't even cliches, they're images from ciggy packages and B-movie dvd cases.

And it goes on, i could add more - but do i need to? In what world an author of a game with no story to speak of, no missions to speak off and no NPCs to speak of even remotely could be considered to be a part of the creative team of a top5 rpg/adventure?
Sure! Solid snake? Revolver ocelot? Psychomantis? Who the fuck are those guys? Never heard of them

top 5? Rpg? Cyberpunk? In which universe?

Last edited:
Indeed its not an opinion. Ask sony, and any ps player, for that matter, if needs saving

Sure! Solid snake? Revolver ocelot? Psychomantis? Who the fuck are those guys? Never heard of them

top 5? Rpg? Cyberpunk? In which universe?

The problem is, in Cyberpunk Kojima Johnny Silverhand would in fact not just be a construct of a terrorist taking over V's mind. V would a reincarnation of Johnny that was made by the Arasaka Corporation using AI created nanomachines that utilized time vortexes to get Johnny's gene's from the past. But unbeknownst to Araska an AI construct known as Big Blue Screen has actually tweeked V to become the sentient CPU core for a giant walking tank that fires nukes once he is activated with the biochip containing the original Johnny consciousness. Why a walking tank firing nukes you say? To start a war between the humans on the space station and the Arasaka corporation when it goes berserk.

They can't do this themselves obviously because on the space station are cyberborgs that are also psychics known as the Majestic 7, who are like all women in various animal themed cybersuits that have immense power and can read AI's minds because the AI also have souls. But because V is a living being who has had his mind rewritten by Johnny, who is a construct of a once living being subjected to Soul Killer, he would not have a soul and therefore the Majestic 7 wouldn't be able to predict his actions thus giving him the edge. ect, ect, ect.

Rudo_

Forum regular
S
The problem is, in Cyberpunk Kojima Johnny Silverhand would in fact not just be a construct of a terrorist taking over V's mind. V would a reincarnation of Johnny that was made by the Arasaka Corporation using AI created nanomachines that utilized time vortexes to get Johnny's gene's from the past. But unbeknownst to Araska an AI construct known as Big Blue Screen has actually tweeked V to become the sentient CPU core for a giant walking tank that fires nukes once he is activated with the biochip containing the original Johnny consciousness. Why a walking tank firing nukes you say? To start a war between the humans on the space station and the Arasaka corporation when it goes berserk.

They can't do this themselves obviously because on the space station are cyberborgs that are also psychics known as the Majestic 7, who are like all women in various animal themed cybersuits that have immense power and can read AI's minds because the AI also have souls. But because V is a living being who has had his mind rewritten by Johnny, who is a construct of a once living being subjected to Soul Killer, he would not have a soul and therefore the Majestic 7 wouldn't be able to predict his actions thus giving him the edge. ect, ect, ect.
Shut up and take my money

You need a hundred times more nanomachines, plot twists that make no sense, characters that change personality from one game to another because yes, characters that do not change at all from one game to another despite having experiences that should make them change even a little (yes, Kojima does both at the same time, a feat of to be proud I guess). Villains who are good guys but then they go back to being villains and then they go back to being good guys and then they are hypnotized by putting Saburo's hand and they think they are Saburo. Villains who are good boys but then they become villains again (more of this ad nauseam) and then it turns out that the villain is a doctor who was there by chance and not the real protagonist, flamenco dancer vampires, emo-cyborgs, femme fatale with magic powers because yes ( I'm talking about you, Miss-Fortune), plot holes the size of a mammoth, hours (literally) of cutscenes and codec conversations where you don't touch the controller and you watch a little girl fry an egg in high definition while talking to a guy who wanted to have sex with his stepmother and stepsister (or something like that)... I could go on to infinity with this.

THEN and only then, will you have something like a game made by Kojima.

Cyberpunk has its own flaws, I don't worship it on an altar. But one of its good points is precisely the story and characters. So I want to see Kojima as far from Cyberpunk as possible.

PS: I don't like Kojima, just in case it wasn't clear.

Top Bottom