High heels vs character-believability and respect

+
*sigh* Someone makes a slight mention of Anita Sarkeesian and the thread is filled with an angry mob with torches and pitchforks.
This isn't about what A.S. thinks about The Witcher, because spoiler: nobody cares!
I don't even agree with her points most of the time, any valid point she makes is always immediately buried beneath a mountain of nitpicking and misinterpretation.

This is about a character that although being new to many, is already loved by many others (hated by some) from the books for many years now.
I think she deserves proper representation!

I read somewhere in a different thread, that someone said, those heels were originally invented for riders, so maybe that could have something to do with it. I am cautionary currently, but maybe, we will get a good explanation.
But is it just me, or do all sorceresses + Ciri have more or less the same body type. I know they are supposed to be attractive (sorceresses), but different body types appeal to different people. There could still be some variance. Also wasn't Ciri a bit skinnier, physically fit (in German drahtig). I seem to remember that...

My main point about the high heels being removed isn't about avoiding criticism, that would just be a nice little bonus. It's about respecting the characters and not compromising the credibility of the universe, which is one of the most notable parts of The Witcher franchise, the fact that it is a believable fantasy.
"respecting the characters and not compromising the credibility of the universe" my sincere respect and thanks to you for this post! Many seem to forget about such things - not devs only. I support and totally share your point of view. Because I don't want a medieval batman. I want The Witcher. Believable, true, harsh, cruel world. Realistic and brutal as the life is. And I know they can do it. If only....

PS I used to attend horseriding for 6 years and participate in conctests let's call it like this. Trust me - those heels are deadly for a horserider. First of all because they'll drag you along with the horse if sth goes wrong. Heels must be there for sure. 3-4 cm. Not more!

Last edited:
I read somewhere in a different thread, that someone said, those heels were originally invented for riders, so maybe that could have something to do with it. I am cautionary currently, but maybe, we will get a good explanation.
But is it just me, or do all sorceresses + Ciri have more or less the same body type. I know they are supposed to be attractive (sorceresses), but different body types appeal to different people. There could still be some variance. Also wasn't Ciri a bit skinnier, physically fit (in German drahtig). I seem to remember that...

You are thinking of riding boots, which have heels that are considerably shorter. I think Lara Croft wears those types of boots in the Tomb Raider remake, at least in the CG announcement trailer for the sequel.

I have to say choice of shoes is very far down on my list of things that I get concerned about, but everyone has their own priorities.

Is it going to be ridiculous if she wears and fights in the heels? Yes.
Will it matter after a few hours? No.

I think for as much as I will find it silly and have a good chuckle the first time she fights (If it happens) with the heels, I'll very quickly get over it and just get caught up in everything else that's happening (Story, Characters, Dialogue etc) and it'll cease to matter.

Agreed <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
@<a href="http://forums.cdprojektred.com/member.php?u=3709987" target="_blank">Percival_Dickenbutts</a>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
I'm against oversexualization of female characters. Especially Ciri. Plus Geralt keeps on trying to save her but she manages to overcome adversity very well, I think.
However, That size of heels can be actually more comfortable than sneakers for long walks. Depending of the shoes quality and its weight of course.
I know what I mean ^^

[video]http://tinyurl.com/nyom99z[/video]

Last edited:

German "drahtig" = English "wiry", bit-for-bit. That's the same impression I had, noticeably tall and definitely wiry. Somewhere along the way, she grew into broad shoulders and breasts that I can only presume are much more comfortable in that bra she picked up somewhere in her time travels.

The heels are still too much, even for Western riding heels, which top out at about 5cm (and the higher ones are more for riding than for walking). But a few women actually favor (my older daughter is one) the feel of high heels and have learned to get around just fine in them.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the heels on any of the ladies. Not only do they put a dint in plausibility ( no running through Flotsam's forest in those heels, Triss) they're an artistic convention best left for a more stylistic approach.

Sacred has an exaggerated,.highly whimsical look, so the Seraphim's heels and bikini armor don't bother me. The Witcher's realistic world makes it much harder to adopt similar cliches, even in small doses. Another reason I don't like them is they are too anachronistic. They feel like a modern element, and out of place. There, I'm done. No more whinging about the heels. :)

Last edited:
First and foremost, this is fantasy. This is the fantastical we are talking about. Anything and everything can happen here because of it.

I mean we can have teleportation, magic powers, interest creatures, monsters....and the thing we worry about is...High Heels ? Eye Candy treatment ? Give me a break, the pungent smell of hypocrisy is getting on my nerves.

This the realm of the fantastical where imagination goes wild, where artistic vision comes to life and where we can make any character that wear whatever they wear and look however they like.

Just because CDPR makes characters that look beautiful and wears high heels, does not mean they are anti-believabilty or pro-objectification. This is their artistic vision, it is not harming anyone and its main purpose is to entertain people. CDPR is not perpetuating some "women are weak" social justice agenda.

All in all, this is a fantasy interactive entertainment. Characters can wear whatever they like, behave the way the writers want them to and have abilities and powers the writers want them to. Because its fantasy, not reality. Also, wearing high heels is not a sign of disrespect.

I am of the opinion that CDPR is having a mix of the fantastical and of the real nitty gritty, which is perfectly fine by me.

@slimgrin : Yeah, it's a bit ironic, since otherwise CDPR tried to portray her clothing as functional:

Her new clothes were to be equally elegant, functional, and comfortable for traveling. We based them on a 15th century doublet. Its skin-tight cut underlines the sorceress’ shapely figure perfectly, especially when coupled with trousers and high topped boots.

Also, her heels are at least not those cliche type but they still look out of place:

Last edited:
@Gilrond Actually, they're more out of place than Ciri's boots. Wedge heels are not even practical for riding the way Ciri's would be if they were a mite shorter.

Unless Triss has a purpose more important to her than getting from one jerkwater town to another in those boots...

It makes no sense for Ciri to be wearing heeled boots or shoes. It increases the chances of her twisting her ankle or tripping, it puts her weight in the wrong place. Not to mention that wearing heels every day for an extended period of time will damage her feet, legs and back.
Of course you could argue that she needs heeled boots/shoes for horse-riding, but speaking as a girl who has done horse riding for almost all her entire life, I can tell you that horse riding boots are different to fashion heels. Horse riding boots have to have very small heels aka:

which are not nearly as high as Ciri's boots shown from the pictures of her so far. Ciri's boots would actually be dangerous to ride in, because the heel is too high, and is likely to cause the stirrup to get stuck (and if you fall off, this is not something you want).

So yeah, these boots are not practical and they could also be dangerous. I'm not saying CDPR should necessarily change Ciri's footwear because we're in a universe that has dragons and elves, so unrealistic things are often okay! But at the same time, if we want strict realism when it comes to footwear, Ciri's boots have to lose that giant heel.

Different boots for different riding, too: historically, riders in the American West wore much higher heels. Possibly for the same reason as the geta: you get less shit on your feet that way.

Different boots for different riding, too: historically, riders in the American West wore much higher heels. Possibly for the same reason as the geta: you get less shit on your feet that way.

Indeed, but from what I know, those boots were used for horse-riding only, and once they knew they would be on foot for longer periods instead of riding, they changed into shorter heels.
Here you have a photo of the riding boot and the walking boot. Since we haven't seen Ciri on a horse yet, and even her heels are rather tall for a riding boot, it seems strange to offer that as being the reason for her high heeled boots. (Also, since when was the Witcher based in the American West?)

One of many reasons i love the witcher games are because it combines realism and fantasy in a very believable way.And Ciri's heels look completely out of place for a witcher to be wearing.It breaks immersion and its unfortunate as i think Ciri's design is fantastic otherwise.

Indeed, but from what I know, those boots were used for horse-riding only, and once they knew they would be on foot for longer periods instead of riding, they changed into shorter heels.
Here you have a photo of the riding boot and the walking boot. Since we haven't seen Ciri on a horse yet, and even her heels are rather tall for a riding boot, it seems strange to offer that as being the reason for her high heeled boots. (Also, since when was the Witcher based in the American West?)

Couldn't say better myself. Here you go a cookie

Attachments

• Cookie.jpg
    Cookie.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 75
Anything goes in the fantasy genre. I personally try not to over think cosmetics/fashion in the fantasy realm; a losing battle indeed.

I feel sorry for the OP accusing CDPR of being a bit sexist turned everyone against this important issue

This isn't about sexism but believability, how much time will Ciri be spending on a horse!? will she be fighting with those heels!?
Someone should ask Maciej Kwiatkoswki Swordsmaster Stuntman - Stunt Forces! make him fight in those heels
@Cyber Death I'd argue stuff like The Hobbit would lose a lot if they weren't so keen on the details. This is a small detail but it's the difference between Witcher turning into something like Lords of the Fallen. LoF just goes all out with coolness with the excuse of fantasy genre so it appears rather juvenile.

Top Bottom