High heels vs character-believability and respect

+
If I can accept Quiet's design in The Phantom Pain, I can accept this minor, albeit rather bad design. The heels are too big. Shorten them, and problem solved.

Based on ReptilePZ's and shinobi2u's comments, I withdraw my previous claim that the heels are too high. They are exactly as Ciri the former Rat would dress and apparently does dress. Statements that they are not practical, when contrary to canon that states without uncertainty that that is how it is anyway, cannot stand. There is no more cause for controversy here than there should be over Geralt carrying his sword on his back (it's a wonder he still has ears).

And there is no more cause for accusations of disrespect than there would be to go up to Ciri and say "Girl, you could run and fight a lot better in flats. Why don't you ditch those high heels and get yourself some practical shoes." To which the answer probably would involve the application of one of said boots to a sensitive part of the questioner's anatomy.

Last edited:
Because Zorn and I descend into madness on Facebook, I joked with him the other day that people could just mod the heels and make them invisible and it'd be ok because 'Ciri has to stay on her toes to stay ahead of the Wild Hunt'.

Regarding the Tower of the Swallow thing, just calling something high heels is a pretty vague description, it could very well be referring to riding boots.
I have a hard time imagining the dudes in the Rats gang to be wearing catwalk level high heels, if it was just the girls wearing them it would've said "Mistle and Iskra" but it said "The Rats"

Also, remember that the Rats got utterly destroyed in that fight despite having a 6v1 advantage.

To elaborate even further, if all Rats were wearing high heels boots on daily basis, it's not surprising that Ciri wears them too, especially seeing how much they affected her fashion sense. So there is nothing strange about the fact that she's wear them even nowadays. Saying that REDs are sexualizing Ciri by giving her heels is ridiculous, as Sapkowski established it as acceptable type of shoes for the warriors and it actually fits pretty well in Ciri's backstory.
So the heels are actually an influence of Ciri's past? Huh. This just changed from Reds not paying attention to detail, to them paying more attention than us.

Well played, Poles. Well played.

Still, 'high heels' can be understood differently. I would like for Ciri's to be shortened regardless :)

Also, on a more general principle - forgive the blasphemy - I'm not against CDPR changing (small, in this case) things that Sapkowski wrote. If he made a decision the Reds can improve, I'm up for it. If they don't adhere to canon about the fashion preference I won't really bat an eye. Then again, I'm not batting one to begin with. It's a minor issue, and there are commercials in The Voice right now.

maybe you #yesheels need to look at how the heels look from a different angle to see how absurd it is to fight with these on
@sidspyker so we'll either be distracted by this shit for a long time or a short time doesn't make me feel any better. Ciri is supposed to be a vagabond she doesn't look settled by the looks of things. It doesn't matter how much time she spends onscreen she'll still have jarring design since it doesn't serve her character.

Yeah, but you know, one of the main issues people have is that it's apparently ruins the believability of this world, However, the quote provided by ReptilePZ indicates that all Rats members were wearing high heels boots, even in combat and yet they still were effective fighters. In other words, Sapkowski himself didn't had any problem with that.

To elaborate even further, if all Rats were wearing high heels boots on daily basis, it's not surprising that Ciri wears them too, especially seeing how much they affected her fashion sense. So there is nothing strange about the fact that she's wear them even nowadays. Saying that REDs are sexualizing Ciri by giving her heels is ridiculous, as Sapkowski established it as acceptable type of shoes for the warriors and it actually fits pretty well in Ciri's backstory.

I said my piece.

Yes I'm sure Asse, Reef and Kayleigh(who were all men) also wore high heels on a daily basis

I'm sure they all had horses too and they ride them frequently...yeah...

Don't try to rationalize this. I want to hear a real expert swordsmans opinion on this (Maciej Kwiatkoswki) and I'd be content if he said they'd be effective in combat but I doubt it. This is CDPR being a little too romantic in their designs and it's damaging the integrity of this character.
@Guy N'wah we all have different threshold for what can be superficial and our sense of disbelief. This is something I think I can't shrug off when I see it I want to focus on her story too and without distraction. Well I'm not accusing CDPR of anything they probably did it by accident like Geralts face in W2.
@Gilrond The Japanese fellow you posted earlier was Utagawa Toyokuni III (Kunisada) who was just an artisan no mention of him being a warrior and his footwear Geta which "Merchants use(d) very high geta (two long teeth) to keep the feet well above the seafood scraps on the floor."

Nothing will change. Man will continue looking like a alpha male and woman will continue looking like a Victoria's Secret supermodels.

If Ciri is Geralt's daughter, and Geralt has an eye for attractive females, then genetics would deem Ciri to be a beautiful woman more often than not. That being said, the sexualization of females is often done in a twofold attempt to engender an emotional tie from the player, and to simply serve to the male primitive lower function. Is it less realistic? Yes. The female psyche in western culture is constantly bombarded with imagery of faked, unattainable beauty, and are advertised in a way to capitalizes on insecurities and simplifies the issue down to men valuing women simply on beauty alone.

The only thing I can say to women regarding that fact is: (a) I'm truly sorry if the world today has put you in a position where you feel like beauty holds the majority of importance in a relationship; sadly, many men reinforce that stereotype, but please believe that not all men are that way. And (b), a women can not now, nor ever, truly understand the primal sex drive that men have. A more baser instinct that rivals survival there simply is not. It is a craving that does not go away for a LONG time, and many developers and advertisers know this, and in order to cater their product into something that they can be assured the played will "bond" (emotionally) with, they often sexualize female characters.

For a self-respecting woman, being constantly bombarded with this has to be tough to resist. I can't apologize for this act, but women can't ever understand just how amazingly beautiful a creature they are (in more than just physical beauty, but in the female spirit itself). It's no wonder so many men, even great men, have fallen to the beauty of a female. It's a deep-seeded emotion, and as one I'm sure many women will attest to, one of the few emotions we show. Let's see, there's horny, hungry, sleepy.... I think that's about it!

Last edited:
maybe you #yesheels need to look at how the heels look from a different angle to see how absurd it is to fight with these on
As absurd as Geralt carrying two swords on his back with full sheaths and being able to draw them, or as absurd as Geralt fighting plated, well armoured knights by swinging his sword because "he attacks the weak points of the armour" pfft or as absurd as him fighting a spearman or worse, TWO.All three the tasks being downright impossible with the latter a bit less as a single swordsman. It's not even a question of being 'difficult' like you could say for heels, it just falls short of a miracle.

If Ciri is Geralt's daughter, and Geralt has an eye for attractive females, then genetics would deem Ciri to be a beautiful woman more often than not.

Ciri isn't Geralt's biological daughter, so this isn't relevant.
Neither was the rest of your comment. Stay on-topic please, and do NOT turn this into a "men vs women" discussion.

As absurd as Geralt carrying two swords on his back with full sheaths and being able to draw them, or as absurd as Geralt fighting plated, well armoured knights by swinging his sword because "he attacks the weak points of the armour" pfft or as absurd as him fighting a spearman or worse, TWO.All three the tasks being downright impossible with the latter a bit less as a single swordsman. It's not even a question of being 'difficult' like you could say for heels, it just falls short of a miracle.

Yes all armies with spears and armor were invincible...

It isn't the same thing though, those quandaries are all explained in some way, Geralt is a badass,Geralt is a mutant and has magic tricks and bombs. It's convincing that Geralt can do all this shit because the story says he's not an ordinary dude, everything about his design is stylish but practical and contributes something to his character. (I do prefer the old design from W1 where the silver sword was on the back while the steel on the hip)

Ciri's heels on the other hand do not contribute anything to her character at all. It tells me that she's impractical and that she's not suited for swordsmanship. She's more interested in looking good than actually wielding a sword and slaying her enemies.
@Marcin Momot please ask Maciej Kwiatkoswki (Swordmaster Motion Capture dude) and maybe an art director or two for their opinion on Ciri's heels. Are they practical in a fight? Can Ciri move around in them effectively? What're CDPR trying to say about Ciri with wearing these?

Moderator: The forum does not countenance discussion of whether a member may persist in a train of posting when a moderator has directed the member to cease posting on that subject or in that manner. Posts will be deleted, and members may be warned or banned when this occurs. If your post has been deleted, you may assume that this warning applies to you. If you wish to dispute moderator action, either do so by PM or keep silence; do not attempt to use the forum for any such dispute.

those quandaries are all explained in some way, Geralt is a badass,Geralt is a mutant and has magic tricks and bombs.

I doubt anything can satisfactory explain the trick of pulling a longsword from a scabbard on one's the back. Unless it's some sort of a miracle ;D

I doubt anything can satisfactory explain the trick of pulling a longsword from a scabbard on one's the back. Unless it's some sort of a miracle ;D

I just said I prefer the old design. Geralt doesn't need to hurriedly pull out his silver sword because monsters normally don't take him by suprise (at least in the books). I imagine a lot of people carry extra swords they don't use often on their backs, maybe Geralt just prefers them there because they're so damn heavy. If Geralt is taken by surprise he can use magic first and then take out his sword. He probably practiced a lot and modified his sling scabbard thing to make it easy.

AND It doesn't damage Geralts character that much I can let it slide. Ciri however has no excuse.

also does anyone notice Ciri's sword is aligned with Geralts in terms of animation rigging. I speculate that we can play as her for a short time in the game.

is #teamyesheels read to play as a highheeled girl warrior? because I'm not

I agree with the posts of the OP, high heeled shoes are a nightmare to walk in, and you can forget running in them. They cause pain and really are not appropriate or practical for someone who is very active. Boots are a great option and provide more treading and comfortable for covering distances. But whatever the developers decide that is their choice.

Top Bottom