High mountain climbing

+
High mountain climbing

Do you try climbing on highest mountains in the world of Witcher 3?

Which one is the highest, which one was the hardest to climb?

I spent some time on climbing and reached most of the summits. I've started on Spikerrog but wasn't able to reach highest summit at the time, so I went to Undvik and reached it's highest peak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3kiDnMBZkc

Then I've been traveling around Skellige, reached the ship from Last Wish quest and every single mountain summit including Kaer Trolde Mountain and that one on Spikeroog which I've failed to reach previously. Then I climbed Kaer Morhen mountain and then tried to reach what looks like the highest mountain in the entire game placed east to the Kaer Morhen mountain - I needed "Explore everywhere" mod to be able to get there, but after hours of trying I eventually gave up (I've been almost at the peak, but realized that I won't be able to go any further from that point). I wonder if anyone succeeded there.

EDIT:

HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJj9H2fBNK0

Anyone can tell me if there is a way to go there without any teleport cheats?

Last edited:
Since I love mountain climbing IRL the first thing I do in any game when I see a peak... I try to climb on top of it. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

I couldn't even make it to the ship. I kept sliding off the mountain, which was awesome in itself though! :D

Highest is probably the Kaer Trolde mountain, or the one on Undvik. Hard to say.

Best place for an awesome jump from a mountain top into the sea is the island-side twin mountain of Kaer Trolde. It was an accident the first time, but I went back there just to do it again. :D

Last edited:
Well I always jump from Kaer Trolde bridge when I am leaving the castle :)

Highest is probably the Kaer Trolde mountain, or the one on Undvik. Hard to say.

Well, I dont think so. Sliding down Undvik mountain takes less than 30 seconds (look at first link), just compare it to the second link with sliding down from the mountain on east side of Kaer Morhen map. It is way higher than Undvik, and I suppose it's also higher than Kaer Trolde.

I couldn't even make it to the ship. I kept sliding off the mountain

Press <space> for a jump, and hold it. Helps a lot. But even when doing that I was still unable to climb that damned mountain from the second link :/

Last edited:
Well I always jump from Kaer Trolde bridge when I am leaving the castle :)
Same. Sometimes I then maptravel quickly back up there for another one. ;)

I meant the mountaintop (Ard Skellig isle side) though, not the bridge. That's an extra height of about as high as the bridge is, and it's a clean jump without high probability for a broken neck. :) I found that spot accidentally when looking for a path up to the ship. I kinda got side tracked there and fell off when trying to climb up to the highest spot of that area.

Well, I dont think so. Sliding down Undvik mountain takes less than 30 seconds (look at first link), just compare it to the second link with sliding down from the mountain on east side of Kaer Morhen map. It is way higher than Undvik, and I suppose it's also higher than Kaer Trolde.
Ah, I thought you meant just Skellige mountains. Never got really into mountaineering Kaer Morhen much, mostly because I don't run an "explore everywhere" mod (yet). Kaer Morhen mountains do look like they've some extreme heights, I give you that without any discussion. :)

On Skellige, Undvik or Kaer Trolde (keep side) seem to be the highest though. From Undvik mountain, I could even see 3 corners of the world. Or maybe that was just a limit of the visibility range. :p

Press <space> for a jump, and hold it. Helps a lot. But even when doing that I was still unable to climb that damned mountain from the second link :/
I can't even say what keys I keep pressing... :D Forward, sideways and the space keys at the very least. The sprint key in addition seemed to help another bit, but that's the same finger as the jump key. The keyboard tends to make upset sounds, my fingers cramp up, and then Geralt starts sliding once again. Spikeroog mountain tried to make me lose my faith a few days ago, and it remained elusive, too.

I think Spikeroog was the hardest one on Skellige. But I've done it :)

In fact <Space> is enough (if you hold it), you don't need to press anything else (at least until you slide down - then you need to o something to stop it). That's the easiest way to reach most of the peaks in the game. Of course you need to find right places to start jumping.

mostly because I don't run an "explore everywhere" mod (yet)

You can climb Kaer Morhen mountain (the one with the castle) without any mods.

Unfortunately some of the highest mountains on Kaer Morhen map are unavailable even with the mod because of invisible walls.

Oh, and "Fall damage off" mod is also fun :)

Last edited:
Did you approach Spikeroog mountain from the place of power side or from another side? I thought the place of power side looked most promising, but some steep slope stopped my progress there very forcefully.

Exploring for alternative options, I was happy to find another rock troll on the wild shore side of the mountain (yay, cave troll livers), and that side looked somewhat promising as well. At least up until the nasty top bit.

Kaer Morhen mountain I only tried once, and that was a couple of playthroughs ago. I did not make it very far then, mostly because I started to worry if I could go back into the keep instead. I had found Keira there, next to the funeral pyre spot, which was weird. Then I found some slopes that seemed to block my lazy exploration attempts. And then it hit me that I might have done sloppy save management without being sure that I could get back into normal territory without falling to my death, so my exploration was cut short and replaced by keep-climbing. It's really been a while. I didn't even know how excellent Geralt is at sliding.

Well, given that I just arrived in Kaer Morhen in the current playthrough... *rubs hands* :D

--------------------------

Edit, hours later at home:

Oh my, I just had the breakthrough at last! :pride2:

So, the key is to just press the sprint key and the jump key and to keep them pressed down. Only use forward / left / right keys to gently steer the direction, and they need to be tapped very gently to not to interrupt the sprint+jump movement.

I just made it to the Kaer Morhen, Spikeroog, and ship mountains. The latter two on the first attempt.

Kaer Morhen mountain was the exercise ground, so it took a few more horrible deaths. I also cratered into the landscape 2 times, dived into the heart of the mountain one time (like in the guide to escape a bugged Bear School scavenger quest, in the ruins of Tuiserach castle). I started it from where the funeral pyre would be. Then I had to move eastwards at some point and approach it coming from an angle about near the chort-cave entrance. There is a nice and easy plateau from which you can almost just walk to the top.

That is without an "explore anywhere" mod.

Kaer Morhen mountain is definitely the tallest of the lot, though it's dwarved by the surrounding mountains. :D

When I finally found a promising location to slide down, I was prompted to fast travel though, haha. :)

Last edited:
Did you approach Spikeroog mountain from the place of power side or from another side?

nah, from south-west. Going along the ridge, straight to the top.

So, the key is to just press the sprint key and the jump key

I only used a jump key.
I think you can climb every single mountain on Skellige that way.

That is without an "explore anywhere" mod.

yup. But when you're on top of Kaer Morhen mountain, look to the east. Now, that's a REAL challenge :) The mod is, unfortunately, needed, but almost whole mountain is available, when you activate it. I've even walked around but, unfortunately, I didnt find a way to climb it yet. I was almost at the top.
Almost.
The problem is, when you're out of map boundaries, you cant save your game. So without "Fall damago off" this is hardcore. I've eventually activated that mod too, so I was able to make some progress, but when the summit was almost at the reach of hand... still sliding down...

Last edited:
After some climbing on the tops of the mountains south and southeast of the "tiny Kaer Morhen mountain", I realized which mountain you speak of. :)

I climbed a bit, and also only almost hit the peak of it. The most promising path seems to be a bit more of "tiny KM mountain". If you start on top of "tiny KM mountain", slide east and north off it until you hit a forested area. There is a quite straight line to hop up then. But the last parts around the top seem to have been trapped with extra slithery rocks. So mean. :D

That more northern path seemed by far more promising than approaching it straight from "tiny KM mountain", which I tried at first.

It is weird that the awesome mountains to the west of the map are blocked by invisible walls, while this one, except the soapy rock segment, is quite accessable.

I made a video, climbing to the top of the mountain of the second youtube video of the O
P, the East mountain:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3iy0m5

I suggest grabbing a cup of coffee and watch the video in its entirety.
It's been epic to get there but not too difficult when you know where to start.

I had to record the video a few times to get it how I wanted, and since you cannot save when being off map, this took forever.

Of course, I used the "explore anywhere" mod.

Now there's another big mountain I want to tackle at the South of Kaer Morhen. I got close to the summit but always sliding near the top.

Last edited:
Yeah, after countless attempts from south-west, west and north-west, I also tried the same way, but keep sliding down somewhere between 5 and 6 minute mark. Will try it again.

Last edited:
Do you try climbing on highest mountains in the world of Witcher 3?

Which one is the highest, which one was the hardest to climb?

I spent some time on climbing and reached most of the summits. I've started on Spikerrog but wasn't able to reach highest summit at the time, so I went to Undvik and reached it's highest peak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3kiDnMBZkc

Then I've been traveling around Skellige, reached the ship from Last Wish quest and every single mountain summit including Kaer Trolde Mountain and that one on Spikeroog which I've failed to reach previously. Then I climbed Kaer Morhen mountain and then tried to reach what looks like the highest mountain in the entire game placed east to the Kaer Morhen mountain - I needed "Explore everywhere" mod to be able to get there, but after hours of trying I eventually gave up (I've been almost at the peak, but realized that I won't be able to go any further from that point). I wonder if anyone succeeded there.

EDIT:

HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJj9H2fBNK0

Anyone can tell me if there is a way to go there without any teleport cheats?

Nice sliding! I was going to ask if you used a mod or console to reach an unreachable area (stupid invisible walls) but you answered in the video description. Well done nonetheless! Without using mods/console I could reach all the mountain tops that were possible and got the Sliding achievement too. I loved Gothic 3 where we can see the highest mountain top from a far and then, we can go there without any blocking walls whatsoever! Great video!

I made a video, climbing to the top of the mountain of the second youtube video of the O
P, the East mountain:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3iy0m5
Oooh, I would have expected that the ground isn't solid that far east.

I fell into the floor when derping around at the smaller hills south of "tiny KM mountain", so I expected it to be a general feature of the far out wilds. ;)

It's lovely how you climb one mountain and when on top of it, you always right away see the next which is higher than the one you're on.

And it's crazy how easy the hopping method is to how I approached the mountaineering before.

Last edited:
Oooh, I would have expected that the ground isn't solid that far east.

I fell into the floor when derping around at the smaller hills south of "tiny KM mountain", so I expected it to be a general feature of the far out wilds. ;)

It's lovely how you climb one mountain and when on top of it, you always right away see the next which is higher than the one you're on.

And it's crazy how easy the hopping method is to how I approached the mountaineering before.

Yes there's generally quite a bit of solid terrain in every direction before you fall off (which means dying and having to reload a save).
Since there's no clue of where the limit is, it's always a surprise :p.

The hopping climbing is easy to initiate from the start but if you happen to slide while climbing, it's difficult to put Geralt in hopping mode again, as pesky Geralt refuse to enter it if he's not a minimum stable.

I want to explore the mountain west to the lake but there's a big invisible wall along the west side that prevents going there. Is there a mod that suppress invisible walls ?

Last edited:
Nice sliding! I was going to ask if you used a mod or console to reach an unreachable area (stupid invisible walls) but you answered in the video description.

Well, that one is not mine, unfortunately :p
I have not reach that peak yet.

I also tried to reach the highest mountain north from Kaer Morhen and I was near it, but I just fell from the map into the abyss before reaching it :(

I bumped into that invisible wall as well when i ventured there after a moment of "why bother with this mountain here, if there are higher ones in the west" after a look at the situation from the hills southeast of "tiny KM mountain".

(One of these hills had a funny tiny and steep bomb crater trap like the swamps or the caretaker's most lethal weapon, by the way @RageGT .)

Can we maybe circumnavigate the invisible wall from north or south?

It may be that the invisible wall just blocks a huge patch of unsolid ground though, so that all the exploration would be in vain anyway. :(

Last edited:
I also tried to reach the highest mountain north from Kaer Morhen and I was near it, but I just fell from the map into the abyss before reaching it :(

Yeah I got there and fell probably at the same place. Must try again. Who thought off map mountain climbing could be so fun, with its unexpected terrain holes, inability to save and meditate ?

In fact, I'd like to have a climbing simulator with that good-looking mountains like those in W3 :)

I bumped into that invisible wall as well when i ventured there after a moment of "why bother with this mountain here, if there are higher ones in the west" after a look at the situation from the hills southeast of "tiny KM mountain".

(One of these hills had a funny tiny and steep bomb crater trap like the swamps or the caretaker's most lethal weapon, by the way @RageGT .)

Can we maybe circumnavigate the invisible wall from north or south?

It may be that the invisible wall just blocks a huge patch of unsolid ground though, so that all the exploration would be in vain anyway. :(

Yes it can be reached via the North: go the the northest grotto above the lake, then go east for a short while until you can go north again (no wall) where you reach a pine forest. Then you have passed the wall and simply go west towards this huge glacier and to the bottom of this huge West peak. Beware of the terrain though: there are holes (and distant terrain bugs) sooner than elsewhere (it's best to stay not too far of the west lake side) and I already felt 2 times, so couldn't fully explore. I doubt the west lake peak can be climbed (it seems as high as the east one). Maybe from the North but really doubt it. However the huge glacier (that can be seen from afar in the video I posted) is impressive in scale although I doubt it is possible to go up very far.

---------- Updated at 01:33 PM ----------

In fact, I'd like to have a climbing simulator with that good-looking mountains like those in W3 :)

I'd love that has well! The Witcher: mountain simulator. Without terrain holes if possible.

Top Bottom