High Stakes Gwent tournament - tips, strategies

+
High Stakes Gwent tournament - tips, strategies

I just completed the tournament, and I thought some people may want to as well. Below find a list of matches and strategies.

All the opponents have multiple Hero cards, as well as Spy cards, etc. They are good, although not as good as that bloody merchant selling you potion to refund your points. The Nilfgaard deck of that guy...

1. The Farmer (Bertrand Tulle) - plays Northern Realms, uses Foltest Steel-forged leader card (destroy strongest siege unit as long as your siege row has a power of 10 or above), as well as siege units. Has weather cards for the front row, also Commander's Horn. Also has a lot of spy cards, so you need to match him, otherwise he will draw way more than you. Reward for winning: Foltest Steel-forged card. Difficulty: 4/5.

2. Sasha - plays Nilfgaard, special ability allows her to take one card from your discard pile. Has Dandelion, who buffs all the units in the front row, so take some weather cards to counter it. Reward: Emhyr, Master of the South (same ability as described). Difficulty: 3.5/5

Note: You cannot save between second and third match.

3. Elf - plays (wait for it...) Scoia'tael, with leader ability allowing him to destroy any front row unit if the power exceeds 10. Take weather cards for both the front, and the second row, as he can switch the rows when he plays most cards. Reward: Francesca Findabair (same ability he uses). Difficulty: 3/5

Note: If you win the third fight you get into a brawl with the elf. I do not know what happens when you lose the brawl, but you might want to practice your hand-to-hand combat skills.

4. Count Tybalt - the final opponent. As you can guess he plays the last deck in the game, the Monsters deck. Those that were to Skellige know what the deck is about - lots of front row monsters, which means taking weather card for the front row is 50% of winning the match. His hero card lets him take a card from his discard pile. He has Dandelion, as well as Commander's Horn. Bait him to play everything for 130 power, then cast one weather card and make it go back to 15. As a reward for winning you get his leader card. Difficulty: 2/5

For winning the tournament you will also get 4500 coins.

That's it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
The farmer is THE ONLY deck in the entire game I had trouble with. Putting in some decoys and anti siege cards solved that problem however.

Also a general observation regarding Gwent is that Scoia'tael is bugged for the AI. The AI always chooses to go first when going second is CLEARLY better. They should've added a mechanism that the player that has x amount of power more simply wins that round. That would also buff those horrible swarm decks a bit and nerf the spy mechanic - which is way overpowered.

Last edited:
I only have problems if the opponent has a lot of spy cards, which is the Farmer and the guy selling you the potion. Both have at least 3-4 spy cards, meaning you have to have an equal amount of them in your deck, as the drawing power is just too strong.

It's a shame that a lot of this is left to chance. If you draw no spies, horns hero's or weather cards you basically done for. I realize at this point you have the best deck possibly but it is possible not to have some of the above.

Knowing the enemies and picking the best deck against them is definitely key. I found this out the hard way the first time I entered the tournament and went against the farmer. I had chosen the Foltest leader that doubles siege units attack.

Not drawing into a frost card is also painful when facing any monster deck let alone Tybalts.

Curious as to what faction the OP was using?

And a side note you can still get the 4500 if you lose the tournament if that's all your in it for. Obviously no achievement or gwent cards needed to complete the sets.

Very useful post for those first entering the tournament.

What decks are people using in general?

In my experience (I have have virtually all cards), Northern kingdom with siegemaster wins agaist everything. As mentioned above I only had trouble with the farmer.
Cards I'm using(from the top of my head, so I might miss a few):
2x frost
1x rain
1x decoy
all spy cards
All(?) medic cards (there is only 1 I think :p)
All hero cards (including Triss because I like her :p)
All siege cards with power 6+ (I think)
That dragon
3x dragon hunter
1x horn

PS.
The Triss card needs a buff so it's equal to the Yen card. Something in line of the power that dragon has(kill strongest unit if power >10) only for the ranged row would be cool.
As Triss range bombards enemies in the Kaer morhen siege.

Last edited:
What decks are people using in general?

In my experience (I have have virtually all cards), Northern kingdom with siegemaster wins agaist everything. As mentioned above I only had trouble with the farmer.
Cards I'm using(from the top of my head, so I might miss a few):
2x frost
1x rain
1x decoy
all spy cards
All(?) medic cards
All hero cards (including Triss because I like her :p)
All siege cards with power 6+ (I think)
That dragon
3x dragon hunter
1x horn

I'm using a fairly similar deck and as you've said have never had a problem. I've only lost a few matches and mainly against the one innkeeper with his various spies and Yennefer. This was without a complete deck though.

However I find most games completely trivial if you draw at least two spies and they don't decoy one immediately. I've had games where I draw all my spies in the starting hand. The AI just doesn't seem to handle this well. Once they see a 15 point lead they pass. At which point your free to win the round using the bare minimum cards. Or pass and crush them with card advantage.

Curious as to what faction the OP was using?

The deck I was using was the following:

Default Foltest

Frost x2
Fog x2
Clear Sky x1
Geralt of Rivia
Cirilla
Yennefer from Vengerberg
Triss Merigold
Vesemir
Avallac'h
Vernon Roche
Jan Natalis
Esterad Thyseen
Philippa Eilhart
Catapult x1
Detmold
Siege Tower x1
Keira Metz
Prince Stennis
Crinfrid Berserkers x2
Medic x1
Sigismund Dijkstra x1
Blue-Stripped Commando x2
Talar

The units all stay the same, if necessary I adjust the weather cards. I do not use Commander's Horn, as with this amount of Hero cards it is not very useful.

Top Bottom