Higher dice stakes?

+
Higher dice stakes?

Is it possible to create such a mod? I remember in TW1 I could bet up to 80 or more, I don't want something completely over the top but 40 orens [Which is usually the case the players never raise unless they win] just not worth the hassle

Gotta agree with you there... the only reason I played dice at all in TW2 was to do the related "quests" (you call something a quest, I have to do it, because OCD), but it always felt pretty pointless, and since the stakes are so low, I didn't care if I lost or won. Farming Harpy feathers is a far more effective way to make money, but if the game is meant to discourage farming/grinding, it would be nice if the dice minigame was a suitable alternative.

Dice poker in the Witcher games doesn't make sense in more ways than one.

1. Why does the game have "player notoriety" and "skill levels" when the only skill involved is luck?
2. How does beating a sharper in a luck-based game *once* prove you a superior player?
3. Why do "sharpers" refuse to play someone who hasn't proven himself to be lucky enough?

Now, we can probably disregard all of the above if we pretend Witcher's dice poker is supposed to be a parody, and characters taking it seriously is tongue-in-cheek humor. But we're still left with:

4. In Witcher 1, character "skill level" at dice poker had little to do with the amount of money they wager. In fact, with the exception of Foltest, all "sharper" games had some of the lowest stakes in the game, whereas some entry-level players like Thaler put ridiculous sums on first bet.
5. In Witcher 2, absolutely everyone, from the dirtiest peasant to the "professional poker players" have equally awful stakes. What's the difference between playing a newbie and a sharper, then?
6. In Witcher 2, you play "professional" players for awfully low stakes, and by losing a game you lose only your stakes - but win just once, and they give you rewards completely disproportional to the low stakes you both put out. How does that make any sense whatsoever?

Probably the only redeeming feature of Dice Poker has always been the aesthetic appeal of the dice board - the various backgrounds, the dice, the sounds they make, and the catchy music (TW1 only). Otherwise it only serves to waste time and break one's suspension of disbelief.

They should just bring back the poker system from The Witcher. That was fun, fun, fun...

Best of all was that you get three round instead of just one. One round throws any 'skill' that could be involved out of the window, because if you have one unlucky throw, it's game over.

Although everything Emberstrife said is correct I still enjoy playing Dice Poker regardless. It was much better in the original game however, going from just learning about the game to beating the King at it was very fun and rewarding (and Profitable!)

Top Bottom