Historical Origin of Witcher Swords

+
Historical Origin of Witcher Swords

I think that the Witcher silver sword may have been inspired by 15th century Scottish single handed swords. You can just look that up on Google images to check. The steel sword just appears to be a standard, also 15th century, two hander, maybe inspired by Scottish Claymores, but I'm not as sure with that one.

Mittens said:
I think that the Witcher silver sword may have been inspired by 15th century Scottish single handed swords. You can just look that up on Google images to check. The steel sword just appears to be a standard, also 15th century, two hander, maybe inspired by Scottish Claymores, but I'm not as sure with that one.
I found this screenshot:http://www.armsofvalour.com/miva/graphics/00000001/SH2060.jpgExcept for the wolfhead-pommel and parry-cross it looks quite similar :) I believe I will order one and ask our local art-smithy to replace the pommel with a wolfhead.I know that a Claymore is a two-hander - yet the style is similar, or not?

Total ripp off http://www.gothicfantasy.com/Gen2/17IP030.jpgnaah joke, might be inspired though.

To the first reply, make sure that if you want to buy a sword that isn't a piece of crap that it is made of High Carbon Spring Steel NOT Stainless Steel.To the second reply, I actually recognize that picture, it is from a company called "generation 2," and that sword came out long before the creation of The Witcher game (In fact, that sword was brought into production and subsequently discontinued before The Witcher game was released). As for whether or not it was somehow copied from the books of The Witcher, I cannot be sure. I think the design comes from an historical standpoint, not fantasy.Thanks for the replies.

somehow, almost every sword in games has it's origin somewhere in the real world ...and swords almost always look the same, basically, a grip, a blade, done

justify said:
somehow, almost every sword in games has it's origin somewhere in the real world ...and swords almost always look the same, basically, a grip, a blade, done
Personally I've never seen a sword that wouldn't consist of a grip and a blade...CDPR went for, shall we say, "historical realism" when making the visual side of the game and I'm glad they did. Geralt wielding a spiky glowing WoW or L2 or FF monstrosity would kinda spoil the whole thing.

Aggravaar said:
Aggravaar said:
Personally I've never seen a sword that wouldn't consist of a grip and a blade...CDPR went for, shall we say, "historical realism" when making the visual side of the game and I'm glad they did. Geralt wielding a spiky glowing WoW or L2 or FF monstrosity would kinda spoil the whole thing.
I totally agree.Would be quite unrealistic when Geralt swings a sword twice as big as him and a blade to shovel two pizzza with at once. One reason why I don't like all those super-fighter-uber-funky-flamboyant-whatnot asian cartoons and animes where they swing swords with blades as broad that you could use them for a two-row bookshelf.

Rhian said:
Rhian said:
Rhian said:
I totally agree.Would be quite unrealistic when Geralt swings a sword twice as big as him and a blade to shovel two pizzza with at once. One reason why I don't like all those super-fighter-uber-funky-flamboyant-whatnot asian cartoons and animes where they swing swords with blades as broad that you could use them for a two-row bookshelf.
Same here. Remember FF7 and Cloud's Tsurugi sword... Or Sephiroth with a 3 meters long katana...That's something ;DAlthough I would like to find original Geralt's swords (from the books) in the game.. His steel sword looked rather like an elven saber and his silver one was also very different from the claymore we have in the game.

Darth39Mael said:
Darth39Mael said:
Darth39Mael said:
Darth39Mael said:
Same here. Remember FF7 and Cloud's Tsurugi sword... Or Sephiroth with a 3 meters long katana...That's something ;DAlthough I would like to find original Geralt's swords (from the books) in the game.. His steel sword looked rather like an elven saber and his silver one was also very different from the claymore we have in the game.
Yeah I remember that. I never really played these games, but I watched my friend playing them.I not really such a FF fan - despite their greatness. Not my turf.I liked the elven saber in Witcher a lot. Looked a little like a japanese military-officer's katana. (Currently saving cash for one, want one with animal bone hilt, and real leather wrapping, and a three thousand times folded blade)http://www.wisma.com.au/images/j11.jpg

Rhian said:
snip snip...I liked the elven saber in Witcher a lot. Looked a little like a japanese military-officer's katana. (Currently saving cash for one, want one with animal bone hilt, and real leather wrapping, and a three thousand times folded blade)http://www.wisma.com.au/images/j11.jpg
I've won a similar one in a Kendo competition :p Though maybe it's not as good as that on your link, but still. Katanas are my favourite type of weapon... and maybe scimitars too.

Darth39Mael said:
Darth39Mael said:
snip snip...I liked the elven saber in Witcher a lot. Looked a little like a japanese military-officer's katana. (Currently saving cash for one, want one with animal bone hilt, and real leather wrapping, and a three thousand times folded blade)http://www.wisma.com.au/images/j11.jpg
I've won a similar one in a Kendo competition :p Though maybe it's not as good as that on your link, but still. Katanas are my favourite type of weapon... and maybe scimitars too.
Mine, too.I also love Dai-Katanas over any other two-handed sword.The smooth elegant blade... hmmm nothing goes over a polished, artfully crafted weapon.Oh I have seen a while ago a Damast-Steel Katana - but that one would cost about 35,000 Euro. I even dunno if Damast is good for real fighting.

Rhian said:
Rhian said:
Rhian said:
Mine, too.I also love Dai-Katanas over any other two-handed sword.The smooth elegant blade... hmmm nothing goes over a polished, artfully crafted weapon.Oh I have seen a while ago a Damast-Steel Katana - but that one would cost about 35,000 Euro. I even dunno if Damast is good for real fighting.
Making of Damast steel is a very rare technique, and very expensive - so the price is reasonable. And yes, it can be used in real fighting and rather effectively I must say :)

Rhian said:
Would be quite unrealistic when Geralt swings a sword twice as big as him and a blade to shovel two pizzza with at once. One reason why I don't like all those super-fighter-uber-funky-flamboyant-whatnot asian cartoons and animes where they swing swords with blades as broad that you could use them for a two-row bookshelf.
The only asian cartoon character with a huge sword and a believable musculature to actually use it was Guts from Berserk.And, yeah, thank you devs for giving us a reprieve from the lately allpresent curvy glowsticks that came to represent swords in games lately.

Mittens said:
To the second reply, I actually recognize that picture, it is from a company called "generation 2," and that sword came out long before the creation of The Witcher game (In fact, that sword was brought into production and subsequently discontinued before The Witcher game was released). As for whether or not it was somehow copied from the books of The Witcher, I cannot be sure. I think the design comes from an historical standpoint, not fantasy.
I know, what I ment was, CDRP totally ripped it off from that picture... "joke"

Top Bottom