Hogwarts Legacy

+
Whats it about? I havent touched this game in ages.. It just sorta "dropped off" once I finished the main story.

By the way,
what do you think a HP game would look like if developed by CDPR?

The problem I see with HP as a setting is that books and movies move linearly through the world and story; but how would a game work?

I think that making it open world (too much) would make it feel less intense, less immersive, and more prone to do non-atmospheric things, like:
- casting spells without a target or without a point - that's a very big problem, I believe
- doing quests by trial and error (restart on death or on unwanted consequences) - once again, completely kills the atmosphere
- flying all around on a broomstick - it's too cheap to explore the world like that, and the height doesn't add anything
- customization is ok for clothes, but only decently, e.g. based on story events like a ball,... - classical (english) HP clothes, not really some crazy armours, hats, noble vests, cylinders,...

One possible way to make a player "not die" and restart quests, etc...could be to go on with a failure as a valid path to happen.
E.g. If Harry was about to drown in the Black Lake during the tri-wizard tournament, the screen would black out (the same "faint" effect as in the third movie), and he would wake up on the "construction thingy" with Hermione wrapping him in towels.

Any kind of such atmospheric transition.
Another example could be the "Hedwig" summer-winter flight transition,...

For me, Harry Potter is mostly about:
- romanticism (castle, train, lake, forests, Diagon Alley, sceneries & weather, clothes,...) - the rich magical world
- decency - unspoiled, pashionful characters who care for friends and not for magic! (and power)
- personal responsibility and wisdom - e.g. the "there is a three-headed dog behind the doors, please don't go there or you will die", face dementors if you want to, defeating Voldemort is not about Harry, it's about all of the good people coming together,...

So, for me, what Hogwarts Legacy mostly fails in are these aspects - I find it not to be decently, atmospherically romantic, and not to the point (as it is an open world) - I find it to be unevenly oscillating between extremes - sometimes too childish, too heroic, too empty, too non-systematic,...

Anyway, what would your dream HP game would look like?

Last edited:
I made a cowboy of sorts. Only thing missing IMO are some cowboy boots and spurs.

7f993d53-b42a-4451-8524-efc085aff1db.png
8ea7579d-b581-42ee-804d-6a26d67c78c6.png
8d72128b-e200-465c-82b2-4d42c24b04f0.png
a497d0f1-5015-4efd-bd18-94c2c4f25a48.png
0f7d86dd-9789-4e51-ab22-dad3a8ce39ea.png

I really enjoyed the game as a fan of the movies and the books. The world is beautiful but I do admit the enemies and some quests feel repetitive and they could have done more in that area.

I am hoping an Expansion or sequel can fix that and really flesh out the world and missions and enemies more, and characters but definitely a great game and worthy of GOTY nomination.

By the way,
what do you think a HP game would look like if developed by CDPR?

The problem I see with HP as a setting is that books and movies move linearly through the world and story; but how would a game work?

I think that making it open world (too much) would make it feel less intense, less immersive, and more prone to do non-atmospheric things, like:
- casting spells without a target or without a point - that's a very big problem, I believe
- doing quests by trial and error (restart on death or on unwanted consequences) - once again, completely kills the atmosphere
- flying all around on a broomstick - it's too cheap to explore the world like that, and the height doesn't add anything
- customization is ok for clothes, but only decently, e.g. based on story events like a ball,... - classical (english) HP clothes, not really some crazy armours, hats, noble vests, cylinders,...

One possible way to make a player "not die" and restart quests, etc...could be to go on with a failure as a valid path to happen.
E.g. If Harry was about to drown in the Black Lake during the tri-wizard tournament, the screen would black out (the same "faint" effect as in the third movie), and he would wake up on the "construction thingy" with Hermione wrapping him in towels.

Any kind of such atmospheric transition.
Another example could be the "Hedwig" summer-winter flight transition,...

For me, Harry Potter is mostly about:
- romanticism (castle, train, lake, forests, Diagon Alley, sceneries & weather, clothes,...) - the rich magical world
- decency - unspoiled, pashionful characters who care for friends and not for magic! (and power)
- personal responsibility and wisdom - e.g. the "there is a three-headed dog behind the doors, please don't go there or you will die", face dementors if you want to, defeating Voldemort is not about Harry, it's about all of the good people coming together,...

So, for me, what Hogwarts Legacy mostly fails in are these aspects - I find it not to be decently, atmospherically romantic, and not to the point (as it is an open world) - I find it to be unevenly oscillating between extremes - sometimes too childish, too heroic, too empty, too non-systematic,...

Anyway, what would your dream HP game would look like?
I'd like an HP game covering all 7 years of Hogwarts, having that HP feel you mention that HL hasn't quite captured. Maybe set during the times when Gellert Grindlewald was threatening the world (but NOT portrayed in the way the awful FB movies do).

In theory, I'd love to play Harry potter outside Hogwarts. We've seen Hogwarts life many time over, but what about in Ilvermorny? Or a game that let's you travel from various countries as an auror or a curse-breaker.

Though I imagine the best we'll get is a sequel to the first legacy game. Which is fine by me! I'd be down for that too. Penny for thought is all.

This is a game that I still need to play, a very strange thing that left me a little surprised is how Hogwarts Legacy is a game so beloved by the public, but it was not nominated for any category at the game awards

This is a game that I still need to play, a very strange thing that left me a little surprised is how Hogwarts Legacy is a game so beloved by the public, but it was not nominated for any category at the game awards

I don't think it's that surprising personally.

It was definitely well received by the public and a competent game but it was mired in a lot of controversy. Ultimately this controversy lead to more attention and sales for the game but in the context of game awards, it's something the awards themselves want to steer away from for various reasons.

I wanted to try it, but the Switch version seems so stripped down I think I'll have to wait for the next hardware version. :)

Not sure what necro rules are on the main forums, but I will say Hogwarts Legacy looks stunning even now when I load it up after being gone for a while from it.

It's one of my best looking games, and one of the first "next gen" titles I've owned of this current generation.

Definitely worth a look, and speaking on the controversy, it was not deserved in any way. The author is actually very open minded about most things, but some people haven't figured out she knows how to drum up publicity easily.

Anyway if this thread is too old to respond to, I apologize. Take care.

Not sure what necro rules are on the main forums, but I will say Hogwarts Legacy looks stunning even now when I load it up after being gone for a while from it.

It's one of my best looking games, and one of the first "next gen" titles I've owned of this current generation.

Definitely worth a look, and speaking on the controversy, it was not deserved in any way. The author is actually very open minded about most things, but some people haven't figured out she knows how to drum up publicity easily.

Anyway if this thread is too old to respond to, I apologize. Take care.
It's one of my favorite games of the past couple of years. I wish that they had fixed the ray tracing properly, but they're not the only developers who've had trouble getting ray tracing right. But overall, I thought the game was fantastic.

Top Bottom