Hogwarts Legacy

+
I love HL, I've played it through twice since it came out, as a Slytherin then Hufflepuff. Did absolutely everything both times, both characters reached the lvl 40 cap. I've almost reached 100% for achievements, but one seems to have glitched at 91%. The only problems I've had (apart from that) are with fps and stuttering, mostly inside Hogwarts Castle. Currently on a third playthru with a Ravenclaw.

I keep finding new, fun ways to dispose of enemies, and it's awesome.

1. Using Accio on enemies from a ledge above them, and letting go so that they fall to their deaths.
2. Using Levioso on an enemy standing near a ledge, then using Depulso to blast them into their demise.

Gravity is an excellent ally.

Rescuing beasts is one of my favourite things now that I've unlocked it. They're so cute! Have yet to even discover two species, and I've only rescued members of four species so far.

Have yet to even discover two species, and I've only rescued members of four species so far.
If I guess correctly, you will really love one of them.

Not sure though if you have found it already, but there is only one spot for it to spawn, so probably not.

I am pretty sure I've found that one. And yes, I do really love it.

Not one I've rescued yet. Need to head back there at some point.
I make frequent trips back to the home base just to visit my pets. The really cool ones unlock mostly through story missions or friendship missions. Interestingly, after you unlock the final story beast, you'll have three mountable beasts for four mount slots. I assume that means there are plans for another one. If it's what I hope it is, I think I'm going to need a bigger bag.

Great game, Truly. After spending time, so much it’s still amazing.
Now, I’m back to my Night City.
I don’t buy many games, I’m real finicky when picking games, so far, I’m ❤️🎮💃🏻

I see a lot of people here playing this, but it does not have its own thread yet. So, here is one.

My username is literally a spell from a Harry Potter game, and I have been a huge fan of the series since I was 9 or 10 -- so, naturally, I ended up failing to resist the temptation to grab this shiny, new game.

Go Sorted into Ravenclaw, which did not surprise me.

So far, I am absolutely loving the game. I will definitely take my time with it.

I bought the game, not because I was a HP fan, but because I was moderately interested and desperate for some kind of new RPG game that didn't disappoint me. Last few years have been disappointment after disappointment.

My computer doesn't run the game very well, but its playable. It lags inside Hogwarts halls and particularly Hogsmeade. There were also technicaly difficulties in the beginning. I remember having to soldier through the Troll fight in the beginning at a solid 3 fps (no, Im not joking). Most of the game runs fine though.

I finished the main story around 75 hour mark. Chose the evil ending. I delayed the end a bit to do puzzles. As a whole, the game is... solid effort. Best HP universe game by far. Probably more than a little overhyped though. This is a really great effort from a studio who has done a total of 1 game earlier that nobody has heard about. I likened this to Batman: Arkham Asylum, which similarly came out of the left field to take home game of the year. However, Hogwarts is likely not winning any game of the years. Its great at parts but most what it offers is pretty standard fare in the world of AAA action RPGs.

The world is magnificent. The combat is excellent. I like the all the spells although the UI could be better. The puzzles are numerous and pretty nice. Theres a whole lot of effort put into making the world feel truly "magical" as fans of HP universe would understand. The attention to detail is huge. Even your own customizable "base" aka the Room of requirement, has received huge amount of attention and customization.

The characters and stories however... receive way less attention. Particularly most of the teachers are "meet them once for a mission and thats it" type.

The story is somewhat meh. Particularly the main story feels kind of like an afterthought to make you run through a series of hoops at certain intervals. "Go to this dungeon. Find this item. Talk to this guy".

In comparison by far the best thing this game has to offer is the Sebastian Sallow storyline which could be the main story instead. Now it runs parallel to the main story. Seb and Ominis are the few NPCs that you meet more than once and who feel like actual people.

This game has absolutely humongous potential for DLC content though. I hope the developers decide to go that route instead of a new game. The world is there, the game systems are there, its the characters and stories that are lacking.

And in the end I get to be a prodigy wizard/witch powerful enough to make Lord Voldemort whimper in the corner.
Screenshot: my character, evil ending. "Absolute power attained".
I_am.jpg

ps. I am a Slytherin.

pps. And I STILL don't know why on earth the character starts as a fifth year??!! Its handwaved entirely throughout the game, with only a few vague teasers dropped in the middle of the game (when you go to Headmasters office you can find some correspondence).

I guess its a testament to what kind of prodigy our character is when they slam dunk the O.W.L. exams during what the George Weasley called "A nightmare of a year, the fifth". All the while gallivanting all over the map, facing dark wizards and monsters and dungeons and ancient magic. And they still can finish the hardest part of wizard studies with ease.

Last edited:
This game has absolutely humongous potential for DLC content though. I hope the developers decide to go that route instead of a new game. The world is there, the game systems are there, its the characters and stories that are lacking.
Regarding expanding the existing world, I admit that I'm making a big leap here, however:

Unlocking maximum broom flying height with a mod allows you to fly over the top of the hard boundaries that are in place. In other words, into the shadowed areas of the map that never get unlocked. I did that. All of that area renders just fine in the game engine, and looks really nice. If you go far enough over the boundaries, they disappear and you can occasionally land and walk around in those areas. I don't know if this means that they will expand the game world to the full extent of the huge map, but at least it's all there and rendered, so they could do so.

I bought the game, not because I was a HP fan, but because I was moderately interested and desperate for some kind of new RPG game that didn't disappoint me. Last few years have been disappointment after disappointment.

My computer doesn't run the game very well, but its playable. It lags inside Hogwarts halls and particularly Hogsmeade. There were also technicaly difficulties in the beginning. I remember having to soldier through the Troll fight in the beginning at a solid 3 fps (no, Im not joking). Most of the game runs fine though.

I finished the main story around 75 hour mark. Chose the evil ending. I delayed the end a bit to do puzzles. As a whole, the game is... solid effort. Best HP universe game by far. Probably more than a little overhyped though. This is a really great effort from a studio who has done a total of 1 game earlier that nobody has heard about. I likened this to Batman: Arkham Asylum, which similarly came out of the left field to take home game of the year. However, Hogwarts is likely not winning any game of the years. Its great at parts but most what it offers is pretty standard fare in the world of AAA action RPGs.

The world is magnificent. The combat is excellent. I like the all the spells although the UI could be better. The puzzles are numerous and pretty nice. Theres a whole lot of effort put into making the world feel truly "magical" as fans of HP universe would understand. The attention to detail is huge. Even your own customizable "base" aka the Room of requirement, has received huge amount of attention and customization.

The characters and stories however... receive way less attention. Particularly most of the teachers are "meet them once for a mission and thats it" type.

The story is somewhat meh. Particularly the main story feels kind of like an afterthought to make you run through a series of hoops at certain intervals. "Go to this dungeon. Find this item. Talk to this guy".

In comparison by far the best thing this game has to offer is the Sebastian Sallow storyline which could be the main story instead. Now it runs parallel to the main story. Seb and Ominis are the few NPCs that you meet more than once and who feel like actual people.

And in the end I get to be a prodigy wizard/witch powerful enough to make Lord Voldemort whimper in the corner.
Screenshot: my character, evil ending. "Absolute power attained".

ps. I am a Slytherin.

pps. And I STILL don't know why on earth the character starts as a fifth year??!! Its handwaved entirely throughout the game, with only a few vague teasers dropped in the middle of the game (when you go to Headmasters office you can find some correspondence).

I guess its a testament to what kind of prodigy our character is when they slam dunk the O.W.L. exams during what the George Weasley called "A nightmare of a year, the fifth". All the while gallivanting all over the map, facing dark wizards and monsters and dungeons and ancient magic. And they still can finish the hardest part of wizard studies with ease.
They should add Dementors and Quiddich. If it took place in year 7 and before it was banned (don't remember when it was exactly, I think it was in the 1800s), a Triwizard Tournament DLC would be nice IMO

One of the biggest reasons why I love the game as much as I do is the fact that it is so clearly a magical world, wherever you look. Watering cans watering on their own, brooms sweeping on their own, all kinds of magical beasts inhabiting the world, literal Leaping Toadstools and Honking Daffodils (the latter are still my favourite thing in the game), those dragon-shaped bush sculptures, etc. etc.

I also keep finding more and more references, characters, and items that wouldn't be familiar if I hadn't read all seven books and the three "side" ones (Quidditch Through the Ages, Magical Creatures and Where to Find Them, and The Tales of Beedle the Bard).
There are even some references from the movies, such as the frog choir (appears early on in the third movie), the owlery being a separate building (the books gave me the impression it is in the castle itself), and some other areas of Hogwarts that appear the exact same in the game as in the movies.

I wish at least the House ghosts could be interacted with. I keep seeing the Bloody Baron and the Grey Lady, and I've spotted Nearly Headless Nick a few times, too. The Fat Friar I don't recall seeing, except in a painting.
I do enjoy the ghosts that do interact with each other around the castle, though. Especially the fencing ones.

As a slytherin you do interact with one ghost (in the one mission which is unique to each house). And I think there is some missions involving Peeves as well.
The game does a phenomenal job with Peeves. He's insufferable. I'm looking forward to a mod that allows ancient magic to turn him into an ethereal teacup that can't do anything other than sit on a shelf and shake.

As a slytherin you do interact with one ghost (in the one mission which is unique to each house). And I think there is some missions involving Peeves as well.
I know, but I meant outside of quests.
The game does a phenomenal job with Peeves. He's insufferable. I'm looking forward to a mod that allows ancient magic to turn him into an ethereal teacup that can't do anything other than sit on a shelf and shake.
Agreed. He is exactly what one would expect based on the books and the fact he's a poltergeist.

Hmm... something strange happened. I wanted to start a new character and play on Hard, and when I got to the
Sorting ceremony, the Hat did not ask me which of the four traits it detected. Instead, it said I had recently learned about power that I possess, that I have ambition, and that perhaps I belong in Slytherin.

I wonder why that is. Apparently, this would happen if I had linked a Wizarding World account, but I don't even have such an account.

Slytherin is what I was going for, anyway, so I'm merely puzzled.

I wonder why that is. Apparently, this would happen if I had linked a Wizarding World account, but I don't even have such an account.
Yep, that's what I saw in some stream, but weird if you don't have account :(
(the wand also should be linked to the account)

Hmm... something strange happened. I wanted to start a new character and play on Hard, and when I got to the
Sorting ceremony, the Hat did not ask me which of the four traits it detected. Instead, it said I had recently learned about power that I possess, that I have ambition, and that perhaps I belong in Slytherin.

Slytherin is what I was going for, anyway, so I'm merely puzzled.
Yup if you've done the sorting survey and the wand survey on the old Pottermore now wizarding world then it links to the game (I'm a hufflepuff) there is also a patronus survey and you can create an avatar.... Harmless fun.. You can still choose in game though and there are a couple of cosmetic bonuses for linking

Doesn't explain why it did it for you though?

I did not expect this level of realism: Rainbow by a waterfall, just like one can see in real life (except not while flying a broom, of course). I even saw a double rainbow for half a second.

I was also surprised that when I happened to have a broom skin that has a lantern on it, that lantern actually lights up at night and illuminates its surroundings. Its not just a simple skin.

This game is not quite RDR2 in terms of attention to detail, but devs really have done some painstakingly amazing work on the world.

In some areas, the detail is omitted though. For example, I cannot sleep in my bed. Nor does anyone care that I sleep. The dormitories are always empty. The curfew has an effect only in a single mission, otherwise you can just wander wherever at night.

I was also very confused why the teacher whose job is to teach spells (the charms teacher) only teaches a total of two spells out of the 30 or so there are in the game. The other teachers inexplicably teach spells that are not part of their curriculum.

All of this is why Im hopeful that Avalance chooses to continue building upon this game with DLC and updates rather than starting a new game from scratch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom