Homecoming Date Reveal

+
Well structured sentences with clear arguments and proper paragraphs while being critical, yet remaining respectful to the devs. These forums need more kind of posts like this. (y)

I think it's important to balance out the good and the bad, otherwise it feels like we're just here to rain on the devs' parade.

Yeah, the aesthetic of HC is becoming really appealing, I like the new UI and UX for the most part (although the 3D leaders seem more of a gimmick and distraction; I'd personally revert them to the card version). However, it seems like the strategic feeling of the current board is diminished - the new "board" (a dirt yard? sorry, calling it a "battleground" is an overstatement) feels more claustrophobic, which is probably in sync with the general direction (a flashy CCG for the casual smartphone crowd? NB. In contrast to what the Open Letter said: "Re-focusing on core gamers"). The trend that started with the Midwinter fiasco is apparently being continued. (But who knows? Maybe the core gamers are casuals in fact? LOL). The gameplay quality is hard to assess as we haven't been shown too many cards, synergies or archetypes. Yet, it seems Gwent is being dumbed down again as HC focuses more on removal, buffing and randomization... I hope I'm wrong here (yeah, still not optimistic)...We shall see in the near future.

Last edited:
Yet, it seems Gwent is being dumbed down again as HC focuses more on removal, buffing and randomization... I hope I'm wrong here (yeah, still not optimistic)...We shall see in the near future.
Judging by burza's answers on McBeard's podcast it's far from that. Quite the contrary.

Burza should stay a messenger, not someone who has to deffend his employer. We all remember what he said in last December about "most juiciest and awesome update in the history of Gwent" and what we actually got. After 10 months CDPR is again about to launch someting incomparably "juicest and awesome". I am sad with this because I know that this time Gwent is taken away from me for good. And do not be silly, we and CDPR are not partners. Do you remember Roy Batty (Hauer) dying on the roof-top? This is how I feel thinking about Gwent now. We have seen great things... Our words, like those of Shabman, to stay Gwent longer? They mean nothing, they are like tears in the rain.

Here's my take on Homecoming so far.

Visuals
Personally don't care too much for the visual part. I see that there's now a holy war going on between the inn table vs battlefield camps. Personally I favor the battlefield concept more, but you all have to realize that using logic to defend your personal taste is pretty much like dancing about architecture. :)

As for the concrete implementation: in general find the new visuals pretty amazing. Yes, there are also some of details I don't like that's been mentioned before (like 3d models seeming a bit plastic, or the battlefield feeling too confined). Also this is not how I pictured Eithné based on her card art (the model looks more fitting to me for Morenn), but I cannot judge whether it's more or less accurate to the lore.

My other concern is computer resources, as my client already freezes sometimes when too much animated cards are on display causing me some pretty annoying losses. Granted my configuration is 4+ years old, but since I don't play high-end graphics games it fared me well so far, and I would hate to have to upgrade because of a fricking card game. :p:)

Gameplay
I always cautioned against making judgement on Homecoming gameplay too early, because we've known practically nothing of it before these reveals. This has now changed to "we know almost nothing", so my attitude is unchanged. I know some people are hellbent on hating Homecoming, because 2 is a different number than 3, and now they'll go on preaching the "End of all Gwent", but hey they're probably gonna hate it no matter how it turns out in the end, so I'm not trying convince them anymore. Of course I'm not talking about everyone now, who just states some criticism.

As for the little things we know so far, most details are still unknown and a lot of things are subject to change, so I can only speculate. Nevertheless here's my take on first glance:
  • More Mulligan could go a long way to bring back some consistency that will decrease with 30 cards and 2 bronzes (I personally hope it doesn't go too long of a way, so we won't have all matches play out exactly the same, like now). I still don't understand all the details (will we still have blacklisting or is it gone now?), but looks good.
  • Row abilities we still know little about. The "choose row for deploy effect" approach seems way more interesting than the fairly limited and uninspiring fixed-row system. But if we have too many units that can be played wherever, you can use those to "balance them out", and it may just become a more streamlined version of "choose from 2 effects", what we already have now. We'll see and of course it also depends on what mechanics will there be that affects units already placed on the rows.
  • Concrete effects we've seen so far are hard to judge without the full picture, also they're very much WIP. They look bit bland for sure on first glance, but I also see some potential in Scoia'tael: for one have we have units that just do some small damage, but we also have units that need specific board states to trigger like Panther or Commando. So it could easily become a concept of "small skirmish attacks to setup a big kill", that seems very interesting and also fitting lore-wise. This case Milaen wouldn't do just 4 damage "wherever" and Pavko wouldn't be just a 1 point/turn engine, but means to gradually setup an onslaught. Of course it could also go the other way.
    I see somewhat less perspective in random damage, which seems to be Deathwish's thing now, as it's just points, so the Deathwish mechanic itself will have to carry the deck "interest-wise" :). There's also some random element here, but I see it fairly limited assuming we won't have any damage sponge units like Greatswords anymore. Sure we'll have some of those moments where those random pings consistently hit your key engine, or when that random 4 damage hits your only 1-power unit, but I suspect it to be not that common to be too impactful (though they'll be very annoying when tehy happen nonetheless :)).

Personally I'm looking forward to getting more insight into how the game will play, which we only touched so far, so I'm gonna reserve some more on making any judgement.

Last edited:
Do you have a link for it?
Here you go: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/312538645
Burza should stay a messenger, not someone who has to deffend his employer. We all remember what he said in last December about "most juiciest and awesome update in the history of Gwent" and what we actually got. After 10 months CDPR is again about to launch someting incomparably "juicest and awesome". I am sad with this because I know that this time Gwent is taken away from me for good. And do not be silly, we and CDPR are not partners. Do you remember Roy Batty (Hauer) dying on the roof-top? This is how I feel thinking about Gwent now. We have seen great things... Our words, like those of Shabman, to stay Gwent longer? They mean nothing, they are like tears in the rain.
What burza is/should be or do isn't up for us to decide. Second, you really thought we'll have a saying in the game design? Besides, your post looks like a complete overreaction, with no reason so far.

@Dominika Same question here. Will or will NOT, be Homecoming released through the Microsoft Store as an app on PC, apart from the GOG edition? If not, will those Xbox Gwent accounts be merged with the GOG ones? Moreover, based on this video, will the current Avatars and Borders be a part of Homecoming?

Top Bottom