Homecoming Feedback

+
I hope to see the return of some of these well loved and hated archetypes from Gwent Beta and some opinionated feedback on the side

Socia'Tael
-Spell a Tael Archetype (And being the masters of it). Please bring it back.
-Pure Handbuff needs more supporting cards.
-Current Ethne ruins peoples day. Card counters might help (redirect damage?).
-Absolutely loving traps if under-powered but likely a skill issue on my part.

Skellige
-Queens Guard Graveyard Interaction. Please give it more support.
-Strengthening Graveyard Interaction (Northern Realms are now the bronze graveyard master outside of SK Beasts with their Blue-Stripe Commando's)
-General Graveyard Interaction - Whats the point in using Freya's Blessing to bring back bronze cards that are less value than Freya's Blessing?
-Graveyard love has almost gone except for Beasts
-Veteran/Jutta Archetype could be interesting with more support
-Self Hurting Archetype needs more card support

Nilfgaard
-Spy Gameplay was the pinnacle of Gwent fun. Please return it.
-Didn't like Nilf Handbuff but the option was there
-I really enjoyed the old Reveal even though it was difficult to master. New reveal is dull.
-Soldier Swarm. Needs more card support
-Witcher Alchemy interaction in Gwent Beta was better than they way Viper Witchers work now.

Northern Realms
-Hensalt is a bit lacklustre, needs more options than Blue-Stripe Commando's and Kaedweni Knight. Maybe a being able to copy machines into the deck with some other supporting mechanic
-Armour was a nifty quirk, I understand its coming back later?
-Soldier Swarming mechanic was previously interesting and now resigned to revolve around Blue-Stripe Commando's and more Graveyard love than Skellige
-Charge decks look very promising but removal really shuts down this archetype making it an unreliable deck option. Card support options might help with this.

Monsters
Glad to see Nekker's of old gone :)
The archetypes here are very interesting maybe leaning towards being a little too self indulgent
Monsters graveyard love is arguable more dependent on the graveyard than Skellige
Eredin's leader ability is going to make every new card introduced to the game more difficult to balance

Xavier - I think is a little over the top and needs changing

Last edited:
-General Graveyard Interaction - Whats the point in using Freya's Blessing to bring back bronze cards that are less value than Freya's Blessing?
Being able to replay core units and ignoring removal. Also there are cards like An Craite Warrior, which get boni from being played from the graveyard. Nonetheless, there could be more of them.
Soldier Swarm. Needs more card support
I doubt that Soldier swarm is still supposed to be part of NG.
Armour was a nifty quirk, I understand its coming back later?
I expect it to return with Redania.

All in all, I expect a lot of archetypes to be further improved by the next bunch of cards.

Dalinski, your post is like a letter to Santa. A very unrealistic wishlist. I mean I get it. Some archetypes we loved are now gone. However, we have new ones and the fact is that some of the old archetypes couldn't possible fit into HC right now since the mechanics are so different.

However, since we are in the Beta now (sigh), I think you can expect that at least some of your wishes will come true. I'm especially with you when it comes to this new abomination they call Reveal.

I have been a Skellige player since the closed beta so I'm going to give you my 2 cents about the Faction

Skellige

I don't mind Queensguard being gone in particular but rather the whole strengthening mechanic being gone

Like you said, Freyas Blessing is useless when there aren't strengthened units in the graveyard. The only thing worth reviving is a greatsword in an enemy wounding deck and even then I would just look for ways to buff the GS when played and keep it away from dying in the first place.

Where are the Tuirseach Skrimishers gaining +X base power for each revive, where is my Armorsmith giving allies base power buffs. Where is my champion gaining base power for being the only unit on a row. Where is all the strengthening in general?

I also don't understand why Beast Skellige is the graveyard deck now... Beasts are propably the last archetype to have interactions with the graveyard

Discard is also wonky because there is exactly 2 guys worth discarding (Tuirseach Skirmisher + Morkvarg). You got your Bear for a 2 point value discard I guess?

Discard is more of a supporting mechanic now than a mechanic to build a deck around I feel.

Self-Wounding is just bad right now... straight up bad. It needs its Berserkers back and Bloodthirst not needing enemies wounded but just units wounded in general.

Also there are so few units that benefit from being hurt. Old longship buffed himself for hurting an ally at least. The Berserker transformed himself to a huge body and "healed" himself from the damage he took.

The only thing that truly works right now is

- A mix of Discard and Enemy wounding with a few neutral win-conditions

- The beast Graveyard Deck

Everytime against SK when I see that Sigrdrifa's Rite + Jutta combo I die a little inside.

I'm more talking about the healing damaged cards mechanic. The summoning attribute of Sigdrifa's Rite is a little wonky. Its the only thing that is keeping that deck Eist remotely competitive though.

Amaroc

Forum regular
I hope to see the return of some of these well loved and hated archetypes from Gwent Beta and some opinionated feedback on the side

Socia'Tael
-Spell a Tael Archetype (And being the masters of it). Please bring it back.
-Pure Handbuff needs more supporting cards.
-Current Ethne ruins peoples day. Card counters might help (redirect damage?).
-Absolutely loving traps if under-powered but likely a skill issue on my part.

Skellige
-Queens Guard Graveyard Interaction. Please give it more support.
-Strengthening Graveyard Interaction (Northern Realms are now the bronze graveyard master outside of SK Beasts with their Blue-Stripe Commando's)
-Graveyard love has almost gone except for Beasts
-Veteran/Jutta Archetype could be interesting with more support
-Self Hurting Archetype needs more card support

Nilfguard
-Spy Gameplay was the pinnacle of Gwent fun. Please return it.
-Didn't like Nilf Handbuff but the option was there
-I really enjoyed the old Reveal even though it was difficult to master. New reveal is dull.
-Soldier Swarm. Needs more card support
-Witcher Alchemy interaction in Gwent Beta was better than they way Viper Witchers work now.

Northern Realms
-Hensalt is a bit lacklustre, needs more options than Blue-Stripe Commando's and Kaedweni Knight. Maybe a being able to copy machines into the deck with some other supporting mechanic
-Armour was a nifty quirk, I understand its coming back later?
-Soldier Swarming mechanic was previously interesting and now resigned to revolve around Blue-Stripe Commando's and more Graveyard love than Skellige
-Charge decks look very promising but removal really shuts down this archetype making it an unreliable deck option. Card support options might help with this.

Monsters
Glad to see Nekker's old gone :)
The archetypes here are very interesting maybe leaning towards being a little too self indulgent
Monsters graveyard love is arguable more dependent on the graveyard than Skellige
Eredin's leader ability is going to make every new card introduced to the game more difficult to balance

Xavier - I think is a little over the top and needs changing

You wrote a lot about all the other factions expect monsters ( I agree with the others) so I just add as a monster player: Its nice we still have consume, THE monster archetype. We also still have Monster Swarm and a different Wild Hunt. I do miss MOONLIGHT though and the weather Arch. like Frost and Fog (cough Woodland spirit Nekkers cough)

_Kili_

Forum regular
Homecomings worst mistak is without a doubt removing a lot of cards/archetypes that were already in the game, which lead to
completely destroying faction identity and diversity and with that a lot of immersion.
There's too many cards missing to mention them, but just take a look at the Archetypes that are gone:
NR: Armor, Muster
NG: Spies, Alchemy
ST: Spells, Dwarfs
MO: Weather, (Moonlight), Nekkers
SK: Cursed
(might've forgotten some)

To make matters worse a lot of the "new" Archetypes are not viable at all or are simply missing cards to build a complete deck around.
A few examples would be NG Tactics, SK Alchemy or NG Locks

Last edited:
I'd nerf Ethne as a leader. Too many mulligans for what she provides as skill. 3 damage points to be used whenever you want, every round, wtf, whoever came up with this must have been drunk and high at the same time.
I'd keep her at 3 for round one and give her 2 additional points every round with a cap of 3. this way if you use all 3 on round one, round 2 you will have only 2, etc. It's barely a nerf but it's something. Removing a couple of mulligans is also an option.

Hello :eek:)

1) UX
1.1) When you are using a unit with specific action per melee / ranged row then the row should be highlighted somehow.
1.2) When you use card incorrectly you cannot take it back! This is bad practice to punish player for bad UX. When you use different cards with has eg. attack (deploy) then you can place the card on board and before you choose a target then you can cancel it and choose different card. But you cannot do the same in case of bad placement.
1.3) Leaders actions takes too long > You must wait for finishing their animation.
1.4) (nice to have) Leaders might be highlighted somehow if their ability is available.
2) Graphic - Leader's model looks super out dated. It is less painful after this time but still...
3) Board - Why there are those squares beside of each row? They highlight when i point on them.

I like:
- Achievements feels good + the reward book.
- Interactive game play / mechanic (but it might need some balance).
- RNG (positive) - It make sense in a way where you can build your deck in a way it is no longer RNG or when you can set up it.

Concerns:
- RNG (negative) - You have new interactive mechanic. Some RNG could be replaced by this. Eg: Pyrotechnician and Reinforced Trebuchet. Is it because the RNG is only way how to hit immune cards (except weather and scorch and so on)?
- Artifacts based decks - Probably OK but you must play around it. But you cannot attack them.
A) It should be possible to lock it!
B) Artifact is just an item. It should not be possible to use it when board (or row) does not have any unit! Item cannot defeat army without user and gwent is about army on battlefield.

Nice to have / Missing features:
- Card tracker would be nice (at least to know what cards left in your deck). It would really help.
- I would like to see provision cost and base card power in card description (even during match).
- Board might be interactive (so you can play with it).

Bug:
- When you lock both copies of Daerlan Soldier by Auckes and you reveal locked Daerlan Soldier then the unit is put on the board.

Conclusion:
- Over all... really great job. Keep going ;)

The more I play HC the more I realize the concept of rigid, defined archetypes went poof. So the idea here is fine and all. I just don't know if it fits with HC. HC feels more about building for synergies between 2-3 cards (3 if you can reliably draw them every game, and only if) and broader synergies, where one card just fits with the entirety of the deck concepts. In other words, you're not building for one concept but multiple concepts, each of which has it's own purpose. The trick is to find a way to make all of those concepts play off of each other. The other trick is to find the overpowered cards and abuse them (Wolfsbane, Artifacts+removal spells+high tempo units, "big MS", Wild Boar+Spears+damage units+thinning your entire deck, everything Nilfgaard does, etc.).

Short version... If you're looking for structured, rigid archetypes you're looking at the deck builder wrong. It's not about that anymore. It's about running a large variety of different concepts in a way where each and every one either has some synergy with the rest or provides redundancy for one of those concept goals.

Short version... If you're looking for structured, rigid archetypes you're looking at the deck builder wrong. It's not about that anymore. It's about running a large variety of different concepts in a way where each and every one either has some synergy with the rest or provides redundancy for one of those concept goals.

On the one hand, archetypes is what give factions their identity. On the other hand, the archetypes we had in Gwent were mostly too obvious and constricting. Gwent is like playing a RPG with predefined party members, where you can only select which members you want, while in Homecoming you have to fine-tune each party member in order to have them work together more efficiently. I suspect that with the coming expansions, faction identity is slowly coming back. Because having more cards means having more options available to create a themed deck.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

DRK3

Forum veteran
Instead of creating another thread, i'll use this one to share feedback in another giant post (sorry for that):

- number of archetypes drastically reduced. (you can see more of this on my thread: ___)

- lacking variety in bronze units. less different bronze units.. or maybe its just because they all feel too similar. also doesnt help that all factions have at least 3 or 4 bronzes that are totally useless and redundant compared to other options.

- numerous bugs, like decoyed cards staying visible on opponents hand, cards that go to board with only faction logo, ...

- the new provision system creates a new problem i havent seen mentioned ONCE: with a fixed 165 provisions, nobody is using decks with more than 25 cards, obviously. With the removal of tutors, spreading the provisions on more cards would be madness, so might as well make the decks 25 cards fixed. Or...

- SUGGESTION: make decks with more cards have more provisions. ex. 26 cards = 170provisions, 27c=176p, 28c=184p
That way there would be a reason to create bigger, riskier decks.

- having 2 rows of 9 slots is restrictive, which i understand, to force swarm decks to manage more carefully, but not having a choice to destroy or replace a unit on board with one on your hand feels counter intuitive. Maybe this is too specific, would like to think what everyone else thinks about this subject...

- artefacts dont feel right. before, we had 2 card types: units and specials. now that there's a 3rd one, i think it would feel right to have some sort of 'rock-paper-scissors' between the 3 types, which is not the case: artefacts are like specials but with continuous effect (most of them), and there should be a more natural way to counter them.

I think we can sum up all feedback to HC with one picture:
Unbenannt.PNG

Last edited:
Compared to the beta, which became utterly predictable and boring, I do like this new version, however, I'd suggest an expansion on faction or spellcards. I think that 'm not the only one who is using the wolf and the peasant farmer girl as fillers. The only option now is to replace those with even worse cards. Extra spellcards that actally are usefull, would benefit a spelldeck, it feels just so restricted yet with spells if you consider the amount of usefull units available. We also need more leaders like King Foltest!

Also gonna use the thread for my 'balance' feedback and suggestions:

Overall feeling
- cards die way too fast, too easy to build a version of a control deck, almost no build up of units since they are removed too fast.
- there are a number of cards not used at all by any deck. Seriously there are cards that I have never seen in more than 300 matches. On the other hand everyone hugs either epidemic or scorch. This leads to boring repetitive game play.

Factions:
- The reveal deck RNG should be severely reduced. Getting a 10+power unit for 4 provisions solely based on RNG is laughable for a game that takes itself seriously as a competitive game.
- Monsters - they should not be able to buff an immune unit while in the hand. Same goes for any immune unit (ST) but this is mostly abused by woodland spirit.
- ST - traps are still too cheap for what they provide. Same goes for some artifacts overused by this faction.

Leaders:
- remove the mulligan gain on coin toss win for Usurper.
- nerf Ethne - either reduce the mulligans she has, or neft her ability - way too powerful synergy with control decks at the moment

Cards:
- Sweers - this is way too powerful for a reveal deck (8 prov cost), increase the rations cost to 10 or make his ability an order
- Shupe - i don't think this card should be playable more than once in any deck/interaction. It's way too powerful anyway
- Xavier - the graveyard destroyer. How is this card still in the game almost a month in is beyond me. He renders most of SK useless, 3-4 faction leaders useless, monster graveyard deck useless. And it's not even a spell. it's a 5 power card (only 7 provisions!), 5 power is quite significant in any round. Simply remove it from the game, end of story, best balance decision ever made.
- Draug - a bit too powerful. Maybe change him to turn only cards on the row you place him on?

Last edited:
Gameplay is still somewhat really not satisfying. Too much control.

I honestly thought that after all of the control problems in the previous versions of Gwent that they would tone that shit down. I don't understand their development process at all.

How many times do players have to ask for good engine cards that work before the devs get it.

I honestly thought that after all of the control problems in the previous versions of Gwent that they would tone that shit down. I don't understand their development process at all.

How many times do players have to ask for good engine cards that work before the devs get it.
The only control problem old Gwent had was that control was bad

Top Bottom