Homecoming premium card animations on consoles

+
I'm posting this thread because I'm not sure if this is a placeholder implementation until they improve the performance of the game on consoles, a permanent design by the devs or simply some settings issue.

I'm playing on PS4, and pre-homecoming, all the cards in your hand and in the board would play the premium animation. After the homecoming update on consoles, only the card you're hovering over is playing the animation, and the animation is cut to stop once you switch to an other card, and the cards which are not playing the animation are only showing the old "premium missing" (looking at you, midwinter patch) swiping glow.

I'm simply gutted by this now with full premium collection as I'm not gaining the enjoyment of watching those premium cards roam the board. It might seem like an inessential thing for someone to grizzle about, but it's taking away much from the gameplay experience especially when you are used to enjoying your premiums, and to twist the knife in the wound, no such issues are present in PC. This is actually one factor that is making me consider again my future with the Gwent, as it is bothering me now every time I play.

It is obvious that this is due performance constraints from the new visuals, but I would MUCH rather take downgraded visuals on the board or remove the goofy leader models than let go of my premium animations, which were a huge selling point of the game at least for me in the first place.

EDIT: edited not to ask questions already asked in another thread

Last edited:
I’m with you. I wouldn’t downgrade visuals, but hopefully they’ll implement animations once the performance issues are ironed out.

Took the words outta my mouth, agreed. Current state of the game is unplayable with the performance issues on PS4PRO. When a ranked game starts and my hand pops on screen the framerate drops down to 1 with all the laggy cards. Usually its utter madness to pick the cards to switch since the commands go in with 1-3 sec delay. Not to speak about the constant crashes right after the match ends.

We waited for HomeComing with my wife and this is really sad. So "while they fix the game" we decided to try Thronebreaker. Same performance issues with cards and keeps crashing 2-3 times per hour.

As Hybridizati0nn stated, I'd rather take clean board, no leaders dancing on the side and downgraded visuals, just to get the smooth, lovable Gwent experience we're used to.

Took the words outta my mouth, agreed. Current state of the game is unplayable with the performance issues on PS4PRO. When a ranked game starts and my hand pops on screen the framerate drops down to 1 with all the laggy cards. Usually its utter madness to pick the cards to switch since the commands go in with 1-3 sec delay. Not to speak about the constant crashes right after the match ends.

We waited for HomeComing with my wife and this is really sad. So "while they fix the game" we decided to try Thronebreaker. Same performance issues with cards and keeps crashing 2-3 times per hour.

As Hybridizati0nn stated, I'd rather take clean board, no leaders dancing on the side and downgraded visuals, just to get the smooth, lovable Gwent experience we're used to.
Once you lower the resolution to 1080p and disable supersampling and boost mode, you can play without issues. Try it. I’m on Pro as well. As far as I know, they are working on it, hopefully they’ll fix it soon.

Do Premium Cards not show their animation on the board unless Highlighted?

This is how it functions on PSPro right now -- is this the same on PC? On Xbox?

It seems weird... why have premium cards at all if someone has to be hovering over them to watch their animation?

Currently, on PS4 an animated card ONLY shows the animation when you're hovering over the card.

Will this be fixed in the near future? I want to buy a lot of premium cards, but I just don't see a reason to if this isn't going to be patched.

(While I'm at it -- can someone tell me if they're going to fix card tutoring as well? Currently, on console, when you tutor a card -- you can't hover over it to read its details. So, fore example -- if you don't remember which row it needs to be played on, you can lose out pretty hard).

In regards to the animations CDPR made absolutely no statement on this. They just released it and then pretended like it wasn't there which is really unbelievable to me.

After asking this same question many times Burza finally said that they have no ETA on this yet. Nor an ETA on when private matches will come back. Amazing.

Okay, well....

I just bought an entire premium collection of cards. Why? Because they're beautiful, and worth owning.

Now, here's hoping that CDPR doesn't let me down, and patches the game so myself and others can enjoy them. They haven't yet -- so...

Top Bottom