Homecoming Reveal

+
If you have average points of 10 and make a card with 12 instead, why would i even use the 10? Even if you tierlisted it with supply costs, it would be simple math to find the maximum.

Yes and no. There will be an average based on the provisions and anything below that will be deemed inefficient (or too costly). What remains the same is that there will be "bad" cards no one plays; Pre-Homecoming because you have better cards, in Homecoming because other cards are cheaper.

However, you will have more flexible slots. Sometimes you want to fill those slots with 2 cheap cards and 1 expensive one, the other times you might want 3 average cards. Each provision tier will have its champions, but the tiers on their own do not automatically work in every deck. In theory, this should give much more variation in decks. In practice, netdecks will remain.

Everything does look cool but just a bit too different from the Gwent I am used to I guess I just have to get used to the new look. What I can say from what we saw now is that I love Sabbaths ability, very interesting, actually gives meaning to rows and also makes complete sense.
It also does look darker now and has an actual battlefied look, so that's another plus. They should however think twice about the angle, the fact that we only see the upper half of the cards in our hand and the leaders on the side, not sure if I like those aspects.
I'd also like to see my avatar on screen while playing.

Last edited:
I have to add to the chorus.

The 3D board clashes hard with the style of the rest of the game and more importantly: If you use 3D in resource-light game, you end up with badly looking 3D.
The new board reminds me, like others, of Hearthstone. But what's fine for Hearthstone, because it has comic graphics, doesn't work for Gwint's serious art style in my opinion.
Some fancy 2D version which applies the cards' detailed almost realistic art style to the board would work best for me.

Gameplay changes all seem fine if done well.

The board...omg... it looks bad. Gwent completely lost its atmospehere. Too much 3D, just TOO MUCH. I hope there will be mods available to get another board, something more gwentlore friendly. I cant even understand the developers why they've made something like this. I hoped for a new board, but in the style of the current one, but with improvements.

I like the card designs though.

I'm still sceptical. It wasn't much gameplay, but t seems to be a slow and non-dynamic version of the gwent I love.
So you can push that Olaf to 70 points? Wait for my Margarita i can tutor out, because I thinned correctly knowing your gameplan. Wonder if such huge, and beloved pointswings are still possible? Ok, it's to early to say, but the short revealed gameplay seems little bit lame to me.
Well considering tutors are mostly being removed its hard to say. We don't even know if she ll reset a unit. She could be boost a random unit by 2 upon activation.
Post automatically merged:

Honestly anything is better than current gwent. I can barely play 3 matches a day anymore. I would have preferred a balanced version of closed beta but we ve known that wasn't going to happen. The game looked as good as it could considering all the crazy changes us fans didn't want. I liked everything besides the leaders (which one should get moved to the opposite corner if they must stay) it might be cool to have some background sounds of a tavern if we can't see one. What part has made you so upset. It could have been much worse. I've accepted the fact long ago the gwent I fell in love with was going goodbye.

Last edited:
Well, not sure about the result... Gwent is an escape from a dark world, played in taverns, so I guess the board atmosphere should have captured that. I cannot imagine anyone entering in a tavern and say "Hey, let's go to the cemetery for a round of Gwent".

I do not believe CDPR can not create a great 3D animated tawern fell like board. (if they wish to stuck with this 3D stuff)

I'm seeing much more good than bad from the video. I said some months ago that I was afraid 3 rows with so many factions was impossible to balance, that the game was going to become finding the most exploitative deck, so I'm all for two rows. Locking the number of cards and deck size makes a lot of sense too. And I don't see a reason to have a flat board with the hardware we are using, save it for mobile and maybe port it over so we have the option down the road. Nice little buff to card description font size too, my continued complaint.

I don't envy the devs, having to rebalance everything while also debugging the new interface. Hope you folks have a long weekend coming up before launch, because the feedback is going to get worse before it gets better. Not really telling you anything you don't already know.

Last edited:
Why does Imlerith: Sabbath have zZZ sign, which was not explained in video, like sleepy hearthstone cards? Are you really implementing Blizzard's gameplay mechanics? Again CDPR, why make copy of Hearthstone? Bring back Gwent Closed Beta, this Homecoming apparently lost its way home and it is going in the wrong direction. Overall, I like new mulligan screen, design for cards, which really looks like cards from Witcher 3 Gwent. :D

But...

No one asked for 3D leaders, but I guess this is because this single-player portion of game will have 3D figures and we will play with one such (leader) and when attacked by another 3D figure or cross path with them, will engage in combat (playing cards).

If the cards will go to sleep, it would be funny and sad, 'cause GWENTstone is bad now, but with this, it would be a grand joke... on the folks who played since the beginning, on people who liked Gwent when there was Gwent: The Witcher Card Game. Now I fear it's gonna be just a name...

Why does Imlerith: Sabbath have zZZ sign, which was not explained in video, like sleepy hearthstone cards? Are you really implementing Blizzard's gameplay mechanics? Again CDPR, why make copy of Hearthstone? Bring back Gwent Closed Beta, this Homecoming apparently lost its way home and it is going in the wrong direction. Overall, I like new mulligan screen, design for cards, which really looks like cards from Witcher 3 Gwent. :D

But...

No one asked for 3D leaders, but I guess this is because this single-player portion of game will have 3D figures and we will play with one such (leader) and when attacked by another 3D figure or cross path with them, will engage in combat (playing cards).

If the cards will go to sleep, it would be funny and sad, 'cause GWENTstone is bad now, but with this, it would be a grand joke... on the folks who played since the beginning, on people who liked Gwent when there was Gwent: The Witcher Card Game. Now I fear it's gonna be just a name...

Burza explained this. The zZZ sign indicates a card that has an activate able ability.

If they want gold and bronze cards easily distinguishable by border color, they could do away with the "bronze" designation and change the color to silver or some other greyish, less valuable metal like iron or steel. Maybe the gold cards have gold leaf-like borders and the rest have borders that look painted on in a neutral color, evoking Medieval illumination.

If that doesn't work for colorblind players, the gold borders could have some details kind of like the picture frame look of the card back's border. The gold parts (including the emblems on the backs of cards) could be enhanced with a specular map so they glint as the cards move through light or fireballs come out (imagine Immerlith's border flash, slightly reflecting the fireball on attack!).

If a compromise needs to be made on the setting, the "field" part could be a board fading out into an environment as if representing the imagination creating stories from cards, but that might remind people of Hearthstone.

I'm eager to try out the new gameplay. Having no updates in months has made the game stale.

I'm eager to try out the new gameplay. Having no updates in months has made the game stale.

Amen!

I am itching to do some deck building. I just want to ignore what everyone else is doing and be as creative as possible. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Burza and dev team stated that they hate HS and everything that hold from HS idea. Gwent like I see it about story and mechanic of cards. Board looks decent, not like i like it. But i can see that all the elements from HS are on this board.

Another thing is CDPRD waisted 6 months only for this? :) What it will happen with balance without silvers, 6 silvers from deck will go now in bronze cards (HS common and legendary).

I hope the mechanic of the game will be rewarding not another HS model. Blizzard are masters in marketing and they make it work, CDPRD just a poor European studio.

The more I look at the footage and the more I think about it all, the more I like everything they did. Here are my thoughts.

It's not that they are changing Gwent, like some of us falsely believed just like myself, it's that they are going back to the core of Gwent and I believe that was never about the three rows anyways. There also didn't exist any copies of any card, be it bronze or gold, and neither were there any silvers. Yeah in Witcher 3 there were three rows but looking back the third row was always pretty useless.

And let's be honest, who can deny that the card art shines best in the new format? We all partly if not fully play this game because of its awesome card art and lore and with Homecoming the Game will capture both aspects much better I believe.

I'm actually extremely hyped now, can't wait to dive into deckbuilding on day one.

You clearly have copies of bronzeunits in Witcher gwent. Sure not that much, but you have.
Yeah you are right, there were identical cards or cards with the same name, but different art, but there was no 2 or 3 copy rule in Witcher's Gwent, that's what I meant when I said that. I didn't word that very clearly, my bad.

All the things we know about gameplay changes keep bothering me. I hope they will clarify some thinfs a s soon as possible.

Fewer rows do make the game more stategic but what about fewer copies of bronzeunits or the higher minimum of deck cards?

Do they really push the game towards more interesting archetypes (engine cards? Synergies etc.)? I find it hard to imagine playing engine decks with this kind of changes... just look at this boring monster cards x.x

In the worst case they really plan to transform gwent to a “simpletons app store game“ :/

Top Bottom