Homecoming Reveal

+
Great work guys, while something may need a fix (leader's models) the rest looks amazing. Really can't wait to see more.

I hope you give me back all the money , because this is garbage ... And tell me, when you listen to the community ,who the hell wanted something like that?

Gwent was nice and unique and you make another Hearthstone and other boring games ... Who want this 3D cartoon board
which just distracts you , we want good cards and good gameplay - no this stuff for children ...

GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK, BECAUSE THIS LOOKS UNPLAYABLE
The entlement. Who wanted this? According to reddit and the likes on the youtube video, quite a lot of people loved what they saw. Myself included.
I always disliked the cartoonish style we had now.
So don't feel the need to speak for everyone, you do not.
You talk about good cards and good gameplay? Then how about you wait to play the PTR before crying?

GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK, BECAUSE THIS LOOKS UNPLAYABLE
I DID NOT invest in what homecoming will become. This is false advertising and completely unethical for a company to do.

The game is still in beta and subject to change. I can understand if you do not like Homecoming, but CDPR did not cheat you out of your money or anything. When you signed up for the beta, you knew in advance that anything was possible, including shutting down the game altogether.

2) Why? In particular with really diverse gold cards (strength wise), there isn't a gameplay reason to know what is a gold and what not during a game. As long as the difference is visible during deckbuilding that is enough.
The only reason would be if there are abilities that only work on golds, but it isn't given that this restriction will stay in the game and more importantly there are other ways to include that information too.

4) The crafting costs were never dependant if a card was gold or silver, but wether they were epic and legandary. And those two categories will remain. So there isn't any change. We just have now 2 different prize categories for bronzes and 2 different prize categories for golds.

At everyone complaining about the game looking to much like a battlefield and too less like an inn table:
Do you dislike card animations and deploy visual effects too? Because those don't fit into an inn either.
Isn't that exactly the core of Gwent, that each player is a leader who sends his units into battle? While that battle is fought with cards, at least in my head it is a real battlefield. And just imagine a bard in a tavern who is commenting the game creating the whole environment in the head of the spectators.
If immersion weren't important none of the names and images were needed after all.

Furthermore, if I think of playing Gwent as a card game, I'm not thinking of a tavern at all, but instead of the campside, where Zoltan and the other dwarves played Gwent in the books. Sitting outside in the dirt surrounded by darkness. Just imagine how they have too feel, when they playing some of the firghtful monster cards, which might lurk outside the cam at the edge of the darkness. And for that situation the Monster board fits perfectly in my opinion.

I'm guessing everyone imagined it and immersed themselves differently. When I first saw Gwent, the game and cards were supposed to represent the clash of two armies yes, but you were Geralt playing the card game in The Witcher universe and the standalone game allowed the "fantasy" of being someone there playing that game on a board. Whether at an inn, camp or even upon a freaking ship for all it matters, the idea was you found a table, took a board out, place the cards in front of you and play the game. And instead of simply seeing the numerical results as it would be in real life, the cards are almost "magical" and you can see and hear their effects once you play them. Just like the premium cards as well where the paintings and the artwork could "take life" by becoming animated. There was a nice balance to it. It was also nice when it seemed like the wood of the board had scratches on it etc.

Now this is a bit out of place for me. It looks like I'm rather some giant placing my cards (that I'm holding?) upon the dirt of a mini graveyard with the miniature leaders of the clashing armies awkwardly standing next to each other. It almost looks the setting is from a mini RTS game akin to Warcraft III but with cards instead of units.

As I've said in an earlier comment, maybe this will get a bit more refining and in the will be better. Maybe the change is too extreme for some of us to get used to. Still, I'll give it a chance and maybe it's still going to be awesome and wish Gwentmuch success, but please don't tell me it has anything close to the feel on the original Gwent card game. This is no Homecoming, this is quite a different game.

I hope I get used to it and enjoy the final product but as of now I'm rather saddened by that aspect.

A little more polish (the ground looks is a bit cluttered with objects imo, also landing flat cards on rough debris would look a bit odd. I'm okay with the quality of the 3d leaders) and finally we'll have something that visually resembles a card game from 2018, not another indie title with plastic-esque visual. Have to say, with this visual change now I'm excited for thronebreaker more than ever.

Also huge props to the team for taking such a big risk. I hope new gameplay mechanics will reflect the visual quality well, saw very very little to judge. Also, hoping for a longer visual representation for the next presentation.

Good luck to the team! You are doing great.

A little more polish (the ground looks is a bit cluttered with objects imo, also landing flat cards on rough debris would look a bit odd. I'm okay with the quality of the 3d leaders) and finally we'll have something that visually resembles a card game from 2018, not another indie title with plastic-esque visual. Have to say, with this visual change now I'm excited for thronebreaker more than ever.

Also huge props to the team for taking such a big risk. I hope new gameplay mechanics will reflect the visual quality well, saw very very little to judge. Also, hoping for a longer visual representation for the next presentation.

Good luck to the team! You are doing great.

I admit the plastic-esque feel was a bit too much there.

Guest 4322057

Despite what everyone is saying, I think the 3D effects are cool. I just think the cards should have a 3D model as well to really simulate a battlefield feel. Instead of some 3D effects and then still regular cards on a board. Also it’s verydifficult to tell the difference between Gold and Bronze cards.

Despite what everyone is saying, I think the 3D effects are cool. I just think the cards should have a 3D model as well to really simulate a battlefield feel. Instead of some 3D effects and then still regular cards on a board. Also it’s verydifficult to tell the difference between Gold and Bronze cards.

If you want the cards to be 3D as well why don't we just turn the whole Gwent game into a clone of Minion Masters (or similar) https://store.steampowered.com/app/489520/Minion_Masters/ the end result would be as it is now with 'Homecoming' that it simply is no longer the Gwent game everyone wanted from the Witcher 3. Simple as that.

Maybe it will be a viable game in the end, but its not going to be the Gwent table top card game people playing the Witcher 3 asked for and what got this whole thing started in the first place.
Plus with these visual and 2 row changes its way too much like Heartstone and countless other card games already on the market, and if I wanted that sort of game experience I would not be playing Gwent as it is now.

I have an idea. As a big thanks to all the employees, why not offer the Gwent Game as it was at the end of 2017 for sale as a stand-alone game. Charge $20 a copy, the funds used for future maintenance for the program's most serious errors. No new cards, factions, lessor rows etc. Gwent as it was. Call it 'Geralt's Gwent'. Then after one year when financials are released for this game alone, all net profits are divided up equally and a check is cut to all employees that worked on the deck, as a hearty Thank You. Then let Gweralt's Gwent rise or fall on its own sales and merit, while Homecoming can just become what it will and also rise or fall through it's own merits, gaily changing a few times a year.

As for me, I'll gladly buy Geralt's Gwent. And if you offer hard copy cards and board so regulars can play the game in a bar, in the field, or in the backyard on a picnic table, without a computer... I'll buy a set of that too.
Post automatically merged:

I need to see more to look how the gameplay effects turn out. I saw a unit that had utility on both rows- but what about units that have utility only in one row?

I do not need to see more to tell you that the 3d leader effects are... not so splendid. Actually, they look quite ugly. Please consider scrapping that 3d leader thing, or at least re-designing.
The rest of the graphics changes looks fine, actually.

Oooooooooh. Look at that. I like what I see so far. Excited to give it a go. Few minor nitpicks, but overall it looks like a job well done. We'll see how it plays soon enough!

I gotta say that whoever is in charge of making decisions on this game has no clue what they are doing.
They took a nonissue, board design, and turned it into something which as far as I can tell is alienating at least 30% of the remaining playerbase, maybe more. Do you even focus group, bruh?
Nobody had any complaints about the board design. Sure, some people said they'd like it if the mood of the game felt darker to keep in tone with the witcher setting but nobody had any real issue with how the game looked.
I'm laughing so hard just thinking about the hundreds of hours of work that went into designing this 'board' and how it ended up looking like the background from some 2005 chinese Diablo ripoff, all the way down to the 2D leader models pretending to be 3D.
People had issues with the gameplay, the coin toss, the RNG and the create mechanic. None of these issues have been addressed.
It took you 6 months to show people your art project. No mention of gameplay at all. Not even about the cointoss. The most heated issue of the game. You're not even gonna talk about that in what was supposed to be your hype video? Instead of hyping people up you have turned so many away. Seriously, who is making the decision over there?
If you put 40k on the table I'll take three months out of my life and fix this mess for you. Otherwise, good luck. I think there's another card game entering closed beta at around the same time.

I don't like some cartoonish elements in current Gwent (avatars, for example), but this grimdark style is overdone. Aye, The Witcher world as we see it in the books/games is gritty for the most part, but there's a lot of lighthearted/fun moments there as well. And that applies to Gwent, which was there to take thy mind off all the mess that happens around. This Gwent? I can picture dwarves, who created it, trying to drink themselves to death while playing it.

Here's hoping you can customise the board to look like a tavern table with some warm candle lights around, both sides of the battlefield.

I would also make card border a bit thicker to help identify card color, and add back faction identity banner, even if it's a smaller one.

Guest 4322057

If you want the cards to be 3D as well why don't we just turn the whole Gwent game into a clone of Minion Masters (or similar) https://store.steampowered.com/app/489520/Minion_Masters/ the end result would be as it is now with 'Homecoming' that it simply is no longer the Gwent game everyone wanted from the Witcher 3. Simple as that.

Maybe it will be a viable game in the end, but its not going to be the Gwent table top card game people playing the Witcher 3 asked for and what got this whole thing started in the first place.
Plus with these visual and 2 row changes its way too much like Heartstone and countless other card games already on the market, and if I wanted that sort of game experience I would not be playing Gwent as it is now.
I still think Gwent being unique because it’s from the Witcher universe. But everyone has their own opinion.

1) That horrible HORRRRRIBLE curved hand needs to go (the problem it causes actually), somehow, on your side at least. Seeing half of the cards is the worst visual choice in the whole thing (followed by seeing it at an angle and with a subjective opinion on 3D leaders quality possibly taking 3rd place). Maybe shifting the whole screen up since you don't need to see so much of the card backs from the opponent hand would fix it (and you can still hover and have revealed enemy cards popup more so you can see those just fine)

2) Gold card borders have to be made much more visible

3) The 3D leaders do not look great atm but it's fine (and it's not a bad idea). What’s the premium version (if there is one) going to look like? Also, what exactly do they do? Just stand there and look weird and give you more or less mulligans and/or other passives? Or do you activate them somehow at some point? If it’s the former, we have a problem

4) I take it there are going to be more golds than now (for each faction but also overall) so when we get our silvers force-milled (which is good) are we getting 200 dust or 800 or something else? Beyond some people being unhappy with the changes (and so far in) after they spent money the last thing everyone needs is to get smaller (or less powerful) collections (even with the extra dust from the 3rd copy of brown cards). Inb4 "guaranteed gold card" event in 3 weeks :)
EDIT (in case someone doesn't read the reply that clarifies this): there will be epic quality golds (which cost 200 scraps to craft)

5) The viewing angle of the board could be a bit higher (not 100% top down, or maybe even have that as an option with another one for a version with less....visual clutter for ppl that want that, seems fine to me but whatever). Also wondering how the board gets decided, I mean, is it monsters all the time for your monster decks and the opponent sees his faction board? That might not be the best idea (maybe more options for random board, or choosing the one you want, or it's decided randomly between the 2 player factions or something)

6) That Fiend preview that shows base powers is the right click preview version? That’s nice but since we’re spamming tooltips all over and have walls of text explaining what things like Iris do (that’s not criticism) how about base power seen through mouse over (especially since Gwentup and similar stuff “support”/compatibility is going down, possibly to zero and it would actually be good to not even be needed somehow).

7) Anywhere where cards can be made bigger they should be (from previews, to mulligan screen, maybe even on board but I think there’s no room for that especially if the curved hand goes away as it should, even if it means making your cards smaller)

Agreed to almost every point.

My worse fears came to fruition...

I am sorry for the work you guys put in, but this BS 3D board is everything but Gwent.

And this is only the beginning of what I think from what I saw.

I already miss the game we have now.

RIP Gwent.

Mechanic wise I am very excited. The rows and new abilities look really great.
Post automatically merged:

I have no problem with grafics, its obvious they plan to release for phones, looks better for kiddies...
What i think is problematic its because of 2bronzes copy and removal of sinergy arhetypes now the winner in most matches is the one who draws more golds.

I saw plenty of synergies in the video.....

Last edited:
great job CDPR... keep independant... be happy creating big and beatiful games, then us will be too.

hope to know your HQ someday... you have a great team there!

keep it strong!!

If you want the cards to be 3D as well why don't we just turn the whole Gwent game into a clone of Minion Masters (or similar)...
You know, I was thinking of something like HoMM... hm, even closer to Disciples 2, when think about it. :rolleyes:

When they said "the game will feel more like two armies clashing on a battlefield" it didn't CROSSED my mind they were meaning this quite literally. I was thinking of a CARD game MECHANICS for some reason (maybe with a pinch of a graphical help).

Also, I don't care about "needs to look like it's 2018".

It needs to look unique, not like every other duvvelsheyss on the market that I've seen out there. And Gwent had that. It could've used some tweaking (the BOARDS we have now are a decent example), but this 3D board DOES NOT support the look/the art of the CARDS. Maybe if you cut their frames and their backgrounds it will look WAY much better (and I truly believe so), but then it is not a CARD game anymore, but a TBS like Disciples 2 (or HoMM) where armies are clashing on a battlefield. And I am not sure if a better version of any of those, cause I still play these games till today, while this new Gwent I feel is sailing far away from me.

On a side note - I do like the way the cards look now (though baffled why removed the Sun from the NG backs and instead put the Nauzicaa Death head). Really I do, besides the fact we do need a better way to distinguish between Golds and Bronzes. Hell, make them Golds and Silvers - it will be so much easier with the colors than.

I still think Gwent being unique because it’s from the Witcher universe. But everyone has their own opinion.
The setting is the last thing "uniqueness" is referring to here. It was the game itself that was unique looking and feeling. Ask Lifecoach about it.

You know how to kill addiction to certain thing? Change it.. And what you did to Gwent is terrible. And with this will to be patch will be end of my addiction.

My first impression with Hc was like - this is not Gwent. Why did you discard your 2 years of development? Iam really sorry, but Gwent is unique, with its rows, gold, later silver and bronze cards, leaders, etc.. Its not like any other Ccg game. That's why we all wanted to have it as standalone game.
Now you just do completely different game. Destroy the very base of game as we love it.
I guess this did not come from you, but Cdpr management,but still - not my gwent.
Iam afraid this will be the end of Gwent. Core players will might stay, but a lot of your fans will leave.

And other thing - new board, with 3D will be problem for a lot of ppl, since it would have huge impact on graphics performance, and for most ppl it will be unplayable, only just because of their HW. Ppl will just switch to HS or Es:Legends,which will be less demanding.

I hope you concider all this before making this decision..

Top Bottom