Homecoming Reveal

+
"I am sadness." - Iris

Sad to see this great unique game go. As much as we've seen promises a completely new Gwent, perhaps not a bad one, but not a very likable one (for me) from what was shown. The leaders and the board look quite childish... There was talk of less RNG, but many cards had "deal damage to a random unit" written on them. And no sign of engine cards... Order ability seems too much like Hearthstone to feel like Gwent. When I look at the board now, it seems like I am playing a strategic game like chess, what we saw in the video looks like playing a mobile flashy 3rd class gamey-wamey. Why play cards (any cards) anywhere but on the board on a table?
Will have to wait and see to judge, but I feel anxious. At least we have one more month of the tavern-feel.

And I also do not understand how this will influence the Gwent Masters series - they started in this game but will finish in a totally different one?

To point out also what I liked:
- cards look awesome, I like the new minimal border
- row identity seems great (the game had to be reworked for that alone, so it may be worth it), reach looks promising
- mulligan seems to finally work like it should
- lower base strengths - current gwent goes too high with the points (I know it's irrelevant in truth, as long as it is balanced, but I somehow prefer lower power)
- the UI of the cards info looks great and more informative

Last edited:
I like the look and i'm happy some of the glaring problems with the game may be sorted out, but the lack of enthusiasm and acceptance from the community worries me. Last thing i want is for the que to become 2 minutes plus for one game.

I don't really think so. First of all there is the Rotfiend, who is clearly an engine.
Also, it seems more like the order keyword now works in a quite different way. For example Imlerith Sabbath has no deploy ability, only an Order, but it got triggered nonetheless. So I'd guess, Order is just an effect that can trigger multiple times.

There was talk of less RNG, but many cards had "deal damage to a random unit" written on them. And no sign of engine cards... Order ability seems too much like Hearthstone to feel like Gwent.
We don't know exactly what Order does yet, but it definetly seems to be some kind of engine. If we include Order for engines, over all shown cards the number of engines went up by 1 in fact.
And the random damage isn't any different from the current version. Except the Imperas all damage dealing engines which trigger when X happens are already random. Both of Archespores effects are already random, and the Deathwish the Drowner got is also just the Deathwish from the Archespores. Also I wouldn't call any of this randomness bad randomness.

Last edited:
I'm sad. I honestly wish Gwent all the success and I'm sure the team has put a lot of effort into this and I will not try to be overtly negative. But, except for some minor details, how the heck is this a "Homecoming"!?

First of all, the "immersion" of Gwent is supposed to be playing in taverns and inns. On a board on some table or something. The visual effects are simply the flair of representation of the effects cards have. You don't place cards upon a 3D battlefield or graveyard or whatever that was, as if they were 3D units of a strategy game. It just doesn't make sense. At least to me. Also looking at the models of the leaders just standing there makes them more comical, instead of the artwork leaving the imagination run wild. What's more impressive, immersive and atmospheric? That Woodland spirit standing there like a tree the card being played in the current state of the game? Is it just me?

The last patch giving a bit of flair to the wooden board depending on the factions, was far better even if it required less work I imagine. On the positive, I really like the backside of the cards and the mulligan UI, this could have gone so much better... Again, I'm just saddened. Maybe if I try to play it for a while it will grow on me and it will still be fun game but this certainly not Gwent anymore and this certainly isn't a Homecoming... this is more like emigrating to foreign lands....

As for the gameplay itself I'm not sure yet, we would have to see more of it to make up my mind. Some changes should be really good, others, I'm skeptical about. In any case... we shall see how this goes. :-/

Its a card game all you have to do is balance it and make minor adjustments in an already pretty great game. Your artwork was already fantastic this complete revamp is a bit to much and unnecessary imo especially the graphics just dont fit in a card game. Way to many things on screen that we dont need and are just a distraction like the 3d leaders and board. Its so heavy atm that just looks tiresome to my eyes at least. Gameplay wise i am sure it will be great as usual from you guys but the visual experience might not be for everyone.

Last edited:
Playing Gwent I wanted to feel like a character from the witcher or the medieval era. Where I would go into a tavern and see people, dancing, singing, fighting, getting drunk like in the game. And I playing and drinking a beer in the middle of that world. With the new 3D graphics, especially the leaders, I feel like I'm going into a damn McDonalds to eat a Happy Meal surrounded by kids.

1) That horrible HORRRRRIBLE curved hand needs to go (the problem it causes actually), somehow, on your side at least. Seeing half of the cards is the worst visual choice in the whole thing (followed by seeing it at an angle and with a subjective opinion on 3D leaders quality possibly taking 3rd place). Maybe shifting the whole screen up since you don't need to see so much of the card backs from the opponent hand would fix it (and you can still hover and have revealed enemy cards popup more so you can see those just fine)

2) Gold card borders have to be made much more visible
EDIT: It's being fixed

3) The 3D leaders do not look great atm but it's fine (and it's not a bad idea). What’s the premium version (if there is one) going to look like? Also, what exactly do they do? Just stand there and look weird and give you more or less mulligans and/or other passives? Or do you activate them somehow at some point? If it’s the former, we have a problem
EDIT: leaders are premium by default but still not clear on what (if anything) they do other that emote and stand there (since the card version can only be seen in deck building apparently), also that was not the final version of how they look

4) I take it there are going to be more golds than now (for each faction but also overall) so when we get our silvers force-milled (which is good) are we getting 200 dust or 800 or something else? Beyond some people being unhappy with the changes (and so far in) after they spent money the last thing everyone needs is to get smaller (or less powerful) collections (even with the extra dust from the 3rd copy of brown cards). Inb4 "guaranteed gold card" event in 3 weeks :)
EDIT (in case someone doesn't read the reply that clarifies this): there will be epic quality golds (which cost 200 scraps to craft) so there is not "loss" of scraps, any complaints about cash grabs are hilarious (since it's still the fastest resource gain game as far as I know and craft costs don't change). Any confusion about this only pointed out the lack of visual cue for gold cards (and quality) problem

5) The viewing angle of the board could be a bit higher (not 100% top down, or maybe even have that as an option with another one for a version with less....visual clutter for ppl that want that, seems fine to me but whatever). Also wondering how the board gets decided, I mean, is it monsters all the time for your monster decks and the opponent sees his faction board? That might not be the best idea (maybe more options for random board, or choosing the one you want, or it's decided randomly between the 2 player factions or something)

6) That Fiend preview that shows base powers is the right click preview version? That’s nice but since we’re spamming tooltips all over and have walls of text explaining what things like Iris do (that’s not criticism) how about base power seen through mouse over (especially since Gwentup and similar stuff “support”/compatibility is going down, possibly to zero and it would actually be good to not even be needed somehow).

7) Anywhere where cards can be made bigger they should be (from previews, to mulligan screen, maybe even on board but I think there’s no room for that especially if the half-visible curved hand goes away as it should, even if it means making your cards smaller)

Last edited:
Playing Gwent I wanted to feel like a character from the witcher or the medieval era. Where I would go into a tavern and see people, dancing, singing, fighting, getting drunk like in the game. And I playing and drinking a beer in the middle of that world. With the new 3D graphics, especially the leaders, I feel like I'm going into a damn McDonalds to eat a Happy Meal surrounded by kids.

Very well put, I just don't get the point behind this visual change. Its a card game played on a board/table in a tavern, nobody was asking for some battle nonsense that changes the Gwent Card Game into a 3D witcher world battle.

I do not like the numbers being reduced, tweaking was a lot easier with that and there was more calculating to be done, as well as variation between options.
Beyond that Leaders (especially or rather mostly The Unseen Elder looks silly to sleep in a completely unfitting location) looks somewhat silly, them actually giving passive benefits sounds nice.
I really like the new order mechanic, with it units on the field are more often actually more than just a static number.
I take it weather's numbers get majorly tweaked, given that numbers appear to be generally lower.

Hey Gwent Team.

I like the look of the cards, except that it's too difficult to distinguish between gold and bronze.

The cards look so amazing that you wish the "board" and some other UI elements would have visuals that are consistent with them.

At the moment I think you really need to make every other visual aspect of the game fit in with the cards:

I think the 3D leaders look terrible alongside those cards. It's as if they belong in a different game. The board might work a lot better if you can actually see that it's a board. Perhaps design some sort of platform/terrarium which holds the "living" surface of the board so that it at least feels like you're placing cards onto something - this might make some living 3D elements within that boundary seem unobtrusive and more acceptable in terms of visual consistency.

I don't know what other ideas you have for the leaders but so much of the artistic effort will go to waste if you don't do something about it.

Good luck with development. I'm still interested in the game and hope you can make it work!

Very well put, I just don't get the point behind this visual change. Its a card game played on a board/table in a tavern, nobody was asking for some battle nonsense that changes the Gwent Card Game into a 3D witcher world battle.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, feeling like this. Even in the initial TW3 in-game gwent were people spent hours and inspired the standalone game this was exactly the feeling. Especially when paired with that nice tavern music. Maybe the final version will be a bit more refined and some things will look better in the end, yet still... why? Where people asking for this and I missed it?

EDIT: Also... this is supposed to be a "battlefield" yet the enemy Leaders are just standing there side by side?

@ 6:46 of the video I'm trying to imagine how difficult it will be, to keep track of what's going on when all cards are on the board with this new cluttered layout and the new camera perspective. For me, the new board layout although at first look, seems more impressive, it's too busy and it doesn't seem too practical info-wise. Aesthetically, IMO it looks more videogamey (it's more 3D oriented) / cartoonish / childish, rather than witcher "dark". Gwent isn't supposed to be literally dark though, the cards art and the lore behind some of the characters is enough. It's a "medieval" tabletop card game played in taverns, inns and the like for fun or making money, like today's card games. The old board layout compared to other card games, is more original, looks closer to a tabletop game and most importantly, it's practical. It's sad that the 2 rows change, seems to be created more for presentation purposes rather than gameplay ones. Also, gold cards (especially for newbies) should be more recognizable with a golden frame / number or something. I hope leaders will still have abilities and not be decorative animated 3D dolls.

I like the new cards layout, the deletion of silvers and the points slamming reduction though. Sorry, to be mostly negative, but that's my humble opinion.

Last edited:
2) Gold card borders have to be made much more visible

4) I take it there are going to be more golds than now (for each faction but also overall) so when we get our silvers force-milled (which is good) are we getting 200 dust or 800 or something else? Beyond some people being unhappy with the changes (and so far in) after they spent money the last thing everyone needs is to get smaller (or less powerful) collections (even with the extra dust from the 3rd copy of brown cards). Inb4 "guaranteed gold card" event in 3 weeks :)

2) Why? In particular with really diverse gold cards (strength wise), there isn't a gameplay reason to know what is a gold and what not during a game. As long as the difference is visible during deckbuilding that is enough.
The only reason would be if there are abilities that only work on golds, but it isn't given that this restriction will stay in the game and more importantly there are other ways to include that information too.

4) The crafting costs were never dependant if a card was gold or silver, but wether they were epic and legandary. And those two categories will remain. So there isn't any change. We just have now 2 different prize categories for bronzes and 2 different prize categories for golds.

At everyone complaining about the game looking to much like a battlefield and too less like an inn table:
Do you dislike card animations and deploy visual effects too? Because those don't fit into an inn either.
Isn't that exactly the core of Gwent, that each player is a leader who sends his units into battle? While that battle is fought with cards, at least in my head it is a real battlefield. And just imagine a bard in a tavern who is commenting the game creating the whole environment in the head of the spectators.
If immersion weren't important none of the names and images were needed after all.

Furthermore, if I think of playing Gwent as a card game, I'm not thinking of a tavern at all, but instead of the campside, where Zoltan and the other dwarves played Gwent in the books. Sitting outside in the dirt surrounded by darkness. Just imagine how they have too feel, when they playing some of the firghtful monster cards, which might lurk outside the cam at the edge of the darkness. And for that situation the Monster board fits perfectly in my opinion.

Last edited:
The visuals look amazing, there's no doubt about it. But the whole game is starting to look way too similar to HearthStone and I'm honestly not a fan of this. Even the mechanics look similar...I hope I'm wrong.

I am really baffled.

A few days ago CDPR showed a 40 minute gameplay video of Cyperpunk 2077, which blew me away. A game that will not come out until next year, maybe even only in 2020.
Today CDPR showed an 8 minute video of a game that is supposed to come out next month! Half of the time we saw talking people, the rest of it looked more like a visual demo mockup. This should be a finished game and be currently in the quality assurance phase where they fix the last few bugs, before it is finalized for publication. No beta anymore. Instead I am getting the impression that they are way behind their schedule (which would also explain the cancellation of the first teaser during the July event) and critical decisions are still to be made.
I really don't know what to make of it. And with respect to the game mechanics itself, very little was said apart from what was known already. Also no info whatsoever how I as a player will be able to get from the current game to the new game (e.g. how would my Silvers today translate into the new Golds in terms of scraps).
Right now I don't really know why I should bother continue playing the current season, because this presentation has not given me any indication why I should be anxious for the new game. I mean, it will be a different game which needs to work and entice me anew, not just look good (and that's a matter of taste anyway, but one gets used to all that after a while).

Phew.

2) Why? In particular with really diverse gold cards (strength wise), there isn't a gameplay reason to know what is a gold and what not during a game. As long as the difference is visible during deckbuilding that is enough.

4) The crafting costs were never dependant if a card was gold or silver, but wether they were epic and legandary. And those two categories will remain. So there isn't any change. We just have now 2 different prize categories for bronzes and 2 different prize categories for golds.

2) Why would you have a slightly lowered speed of processing available information? Golds are better (even if some are much better), seeing them easier and quicker during mulligan (and even hand) without squinting at borders or knowing all cards right away (also think of arena and new players) would be better. It would also be easier (you can still see it now obviously) to keep track of how many how many the opponent played (and give you some idea of how many left based on rations and/or other things).

4) I'm just now seeing the one (I think there's only one) epic quality golden card from the video and it all makes sense.

Top Bottom