Homecoming Suggestion: Add Weight to the Cards

+

After watching Yennefer's entrance animation in the new Homecoming video I was disappointed but hopeful this is still WIP.
If this is not I suggest adding weight when placing down a card especially a legendary, right now cards look like feathers carefully falling down on the board. Also Legendaries should PoP when played when you look at Yennefer's card art you can see rocks shattering from her exploding spell but the animation is completely different. Legendaries should really have a special voice line when played, a short epic music played and a special effect to match the card art as much as possible.

Another gwent video from a long time ago (April 16 2017) I watched explaining the Weight of the cards and why it's important. Starts at 4:07

Last edited:
Absolutely agreed. I love the direction the team has headed into making Gwent feel like a battlefield. In my honest opinion a card game isn't just about metas and graphics it's also about immersion. For instances, the reason I even started playing HS even tough i detest the childish art and to some level the gameplay, is the fact that I am a warcraft fan and I just wanted to be able to play some of them juicy legendary cards of my favorite characters with big animations bc they were/are so amazingly cool. If Gwent adopted this and gave at least legendary cards some punch when entering the board i would call Gwent the most amazing visual CCG ever, beating even artifact imo. I know many people might not like the leaders but i love what they do for immersion, unfortunately the cards themselves lack that. Just imagine a world where the following happens:

Ciri: Dash - she gets on the board like she just came from one of her dimensional rifts,
Geralt: Igni - the igni rune appears and Geralt pops out in a fiery explosion
Caranthir - a huge blizzard covers the board and you hear the horn of the Naglfar

So many cool concepts to be implemented. I honestly wouldn't even mind they cost more scraps or only premium versions did the effect to encourage meteorite powder purchases. They do this last implementation into Gwent I am convinced everyone watching on twitch or seeing the game for the first time will HAVE to check it out.

If Gwent adopted this and gave at least legendary cards some punch when entering the board i would call Gwent the most amazing visual CCG ever

I Agree 1000% Having this high level art but with a lower level entrance animation is a real shame. (Realistically speaking at least the legendaries should have one at minimum, would be nice for all cards but I understand pragmatically it might not be possible for all cards and also it would not make the legendaries PoP as much so it's fine with only the legendaries) But all card should have weight when played *the way you drag it from your hand and the way it falls down and the sound effect should feel like your somewhat slamming it on the board*

I started playing gwent because I saw the premium animation of Vilgefortz I thought it was the most amazing card ever and downloaded the game right away. I can already picture a LOT of new players watching their favorite witcher character or even if they dont know the witcher (like I did at first) see the animation of a Homecoming card played be amazed and download the game after.

I have to disagree.

Each and every animation might looks amazing at first, but after the billion time you hear "we're gonna be rich" and see the flashy light, it just feels like a waste of time. I prefer to have a minimalistic entrance for cards and resources focused on more meaningful aspects of the game.

Plus adding weight to the cards, well, it fits HS cartoonish style. It's cheesy and preposterous, very "Pokemon style". I really, don't see how it would benefit a mature game.

I have to disagree as well, for the reasons stated above.

GWENT doesn't need flashiness like that; it's a card game from the Witcher universe (especially after Homecoming), and such things wouldn't fit that gritty, mature world.

I'll add that some of the current Legendary cards have awesome effects as it is. Judging by Yennefer's deploy animation in that Homecoming video they are definitely not getting any worse with the update.

Last edited:
I wouldn‘t mind effects like that, but it‘s true that it quickly gets less interesting after a couple of times.

Having cards light like a feather feels much more natural than having cards that fall down like a stone as shown in the video.

weightlifting.jpg

Well, okay...

but after the billion time you hear "we're gonna be rich" and see the flashy light, it just feels like a waste of time. I prefer to have a minimalistic entrance for cards and resources focused on more meaningful aspects of the game.

I've played Hearthstone for 2 years and you've literally taken the most annoying card (ability wise) as an example and I never thought Reno Jackson voice line or the flashy light a waste of time. I don't think you will be hearing the same card a ``billion time`` because new cards get added and you don't use the same cards in every deck and just so were clear we can both agree there isn't a dozen Legendaries in a deck and they would be the only ones with special entrances so you don't hear them that often. Im pretty sure the ressources for the special effects and the game balancing is 2 different departments and also you seem to think the special effects are ``not meaningful`` and that is completely wrong otherwise why even bother with premium cards (watch the second video starts: at 4:07 why Weight is important he explains perfectly my sentiment on ``special effects`` and why it's important in an online card game). I really think there is a way to make the weight of the cards and special effects look Mature with the Witcher style without making it look ``cheesy and preposterous`` and it's really important for overall aesthetic of the game and player enjoyment.

. Im pretty sure the ressources for the special effects and the game balancing is 2 different departments and also you seem to think the special effects are ``not meaningful`` and that is completely wrong otherwise why even bother with premium cards

I think that both standard and premium cards look stunning and that Gwent has the best art on the Market. In that sense, I feel that they have everything nicely under control in that department.

However, I would not like them to add a lot of cosmetic features. To me the new Monster board looks overdone, with an overcrowded design. That's the risk with cosmetic effects. Sometimes "less is more" as architect van der Rohe used to say. I like Gwent simple and clean approach more than having the board crack under the weight of a card, which would fit a superhero movie or HS cartoonish style.

I'd rather have the art team work on a new expansion, than trying to fix something that to me is fine the way it is.

In that sense, I feel that they have everything nicely under control in that department.

The incredible art / premiums gwent has doesn't reflect the special effects and it is a shame, it would be a huge missed opportunity not to capitalize on this. Homecoming could be the best damn looking card game released and achieve the same level of greatness visually as The Witcher 3 has and your fine with only ``average``. The Homecoming monster board is miles better and I don't understand how you think it is overcrowded, the board has a dark and sinister look perfect for monsters and feels like the witcher without interfering gameplay. The ``Less is more`` quote I understand too well and Hearthstone does this extremely well in it's UI it's clear precise and the information is easy to grasp for players and there is no shame in drawing inspiration from it. I will repeat myself again I Really think it's possible to make special effects and the weight of the cards feel like the Witcher it's just you haven't seen it yet.
I'd rather the art team make a kick ass good looking foundation of the game that will draw countless players and earn critics praise for years to come than settle with ``average``

I wouldnt want an effect-party like the visuals above shown in HS, but i would like to put ühysical pressure in how i play my card. Like the dwarfs in the books, just smashing the cards at the ground. So a bit more impact would be nice but not overload it with effects like rockets before you see the card at the table.

Top Bottom