hope there's gonna be something done about skillige discard deck

+
Yeah, if it's a big post with attachments and whatnot, it will take a long time to work. Next time, do a "open link in new tab" on the general discussion and you'll see if your post is there. Worked for me that one time anyway.

Laveley;n7125540 said:
Go all in first round against them. They will eventually loose the round and waste precious resources on the meantime. If you give up first around and pass early against them than its pretty much gg.

Other way is correct. As longer a round is played the better it is for skellig player. Skellig prepares in round 1 the later rounds, so you more time you give him to do that, the stronger is round 2 and round 3. Skellig waste less ressources then you in round 1, because his ressources are stronger when they are in graveyard. When you go with skellig player in Round 3 and both player has only 1 card then i say that skellig player wins to 90% the match.

Lexandre;n7125680 said:
however continuing to play cards on round 1 while skellige player has 2 card advantage and im 20-30 unit strength ahead feels stupid and even then i cant risk to pass before the skellige player because he can win the round playing 1-2 cards and then i wont get the value of auto-include ciri and instead the skellige player will get the full value from their ciri further increasing the card advantage gap between us
I've done well against Skellige Gravediggers going in all wild during rd1 and pushing for victory in rd2.
I've done well against them holding back in rd1 and giving them that round.

And I've also lost in both scenarios. There is no golden rule that wins it all.

Currently, I give them rd1 or rd2 (depending on my hand, on initial coinflip and on random impulses), and numbers are favorable.

Last edited:
Thats why i think 25 cards is too few. Should be a higher base so people dont have their entire deck in their hand in a few turns. Makes no sense for us to draw so many cards at the beginning then 2 and 1 in the second and third round respectively, plus cards that let players draw more cards.

Yeah, Skellige does feel like pretty brainless dumb stuff if you don't have both card advantage and the counter for the inevitable last turn Restoration -> Sig -> Priestess -> Skirmisher. Well, actually, I just thought of one way to counter it that doesn't need card advantage with a certain Scoia cad no one runs, but I actually do in mine. But itself is easily countered.

Last edited:
shdcs1975;n7128060 said:
Other way is correct. As longer a round is played the better it is for skellig player. Skellig prepares in round 1 the later rounds, so you more time you give him to do that, the stronger is round 2 and round 3. Skellig waste less ressources then you in round 1, because his ressources are stronger when they are in graveyard. When you go with skellig player in Round 3 and both player has only 1 card then i say that skellig player wins to 90% the match.

I strongly disagree with this.

If skellige wins first round without spending resources, they can cook you on second and than prepare on round 2, on round 3 them they are unbeatable. If you force them to spend a lot of resources on round 1 and they still loose it, they will be forced to spend their game winning bombs on round 2 that should be used on the final round.

Serotonergic;n7129540 said:
Yeah, Skellige does feel like pretty brainless dumb stuff if you don't have both card advantage and the counter for the inevitable last turn Restoration -> Sig -> Priestess -> Skirmisher. Well, actually, I just thought of one way to counter it that doesn't need card advantage with a certain Scoia cad no one runs, but I actually do in mine. But itself is easily countered.

I usually pick a queensguard instead of the skirmisher

"It's beatable" - "It's not beatable" - "It's too strong" - It's not that OP" - "It deserves a nerf" - "It doesn't deserve a nerf" - etc

Some said that they could easily beat this deck with a specific deck and/or a specific faction. Don't you see a problem here?

In my opinion, a deck should be beatable with every factions if you have the appropriate deck because if it's just beatable with only ONE deck or ONE faction, where's the fun to have different factions and a lot of build possibilities? You'll be forced to play that deck/faction instead of playing what you'd like by fear of encountering the Skellige discard deck which is, let's face it, one of the most played deck nowadays. (I mean, it's the one I faced the most this week with the weather monster deck which is more easily beatable)

Maybe the problem doesn't come from the strenght of the Skellige deck but from the fact that the other decks have nothing to counter it. What I suggest is, instead of nerfing the deck which is strong but doesn't deserve a nerf, CD Projekt could impliment a functionality to counter a single element of the deck like the discarding or the resurrecting. They could create a Neutral card which allow you to affect your opponent's discard (just like the Grave Hag but with your opponent's graveyard and not yours) It could :
- neutralise the graveyard so that everything he Discards is destroyed instead of discarded and this for one round ;
-destroy every units in your opponent's graveyard (maybe too strong but that's just an idea) ;
- delete the ability to resurrect for one round.
It could be a Silver card or, better, a Gold card with a drawback (like Philippa Eilhart but who would affect the graveyard) or a Gold card with only 4 strenght (like Shani).

Esclive;n7131190 said:
because if it's just beatable with only ONE deck or ONE faction,

It definitely aint beatable with just ONE deck or ONE faction. To my knowledge, there are 4 somewhat competitive builds right now; skellige discard, nr rez chain, nr promote and scoia spell control. You could include more but i think these 4 builds are in the top of the food chain right now and every one of these builds can beat one another depending on player skill and, obviously, luck. Some builds are better than others to counter specific ones, yes, but thats pretty much it, it doesnt mean that you can only beat skellige discard with scoia control, although its definitely easier.

Also, the incoming patch should change this metagame.

Laveley;n7130160 said:
I strongly disagree with this.

If skellige wins first round without spending resources, they can cook you on second and than prepare on round 2, on round 3 them they are unbeatable. If you force them to spend a lot of resources on round 1 and they still loose it, they will be forced to spend their game winning bombs on round 2 that should be used on the final round.

You are right. You should win round 1, but u must do it without playing so much ressources. Then Pass round 2 and beat him in round 3.
About about the Meta. I think you should change to HR promote with HR control.

Last edited:
I wasn't realizing at first that this deck was getting to cycle through nearly the entirety of the deck between all the discards and drawing. But now I've been seeing the deck a lot more and more. Move over weather monsters, the new cancer is here it looks like. I think I'm done with this game and the entire genre. I will swear off ever touching another TCG again.

The entire problem currently is the bomb (I made a rant about that card.) Right now, this deck is bad because it can't beat the card advantage deck. But that deck is getting nerfed into the ground, so after that I think you may have a point. Bomb stops literally every possible counter to this deck, and it's main bad matchup is getting butchered.

gametheoryguy;n7135000 said:
The entire problem currently is the bomb (I made a rant about that card.) Right now, this deck is bad because it can't beat the card advantage deck. But that deck is getting nerfed into the ground, so after that I think you may have a point. Bomb stops literally every possible counter to this deck, and it's main bad matchup is getting butchered.

And so the other competitive NR builds.

Already saved the scraps for those skelliege legendaries today?

I think there is a reason the lead game designer mains Skellige, they are very consistent. I’ve also been noticing nothing but buffs for them in the coming patch. They got base STR increases on pirate captain, and the Dimeritium Shackles can be seen as nothing but a buff for Skellige. Either play it on your huge base strength unit, or use it to “demote” your opponent’s strongest card. Plus I don’t see how giving Golden Madman Lugos a countdown allows for any counter play as they stated. Maybe if you are NR and you can demote him, where as they completely neutered Isengrim to allow for counter play. I guess at least now we can see Lugos coming at us with his pants down two rounds in advance.

Lugos is a big nerf and we will see if he is playable. Because with the delay you need to play 2 cards after him, so you need now 3 cards in round 3 and must play ludow first.
If there is any summary from the stream available or must we wait for the patchnotes.

Laveley;n7131290 said:
every one of these builds can beat one another depending on player skill and, obviously, luck.

Another problem I found from your sentence, there's pretty much no luck needed in the Skellige discard deck since he can have 95% of his deck available at some point so that's one of the main element of a Card Game that doesn't apply to him.

Esclive;n7139600 said:
Another problem I found from your sentence, there's pretty much no luck needed in the Skellige discard deck since he can have 95% of his deck available at some point so that's one of the main element of a Card Game that doesn't apply to him.

It applies to their opponent. If their opponent gets a godlike hand will probably beat him. Also, it does matter the order that you draw your cards.

Seriously man, i dont remember the last time i lost to a skellige discard with my scoiatael spell control build. Like someone said earlier, its gets totally countered by that build and the other NR can still beat it too depending, like i said, on player skill and obviously luck.

Probably the patch after this one, when the meta has shifted away from discard skellige, it will get nerfed
Oh I know I'm being cruel now but my soul is black at the moment

Top Bottom