hope there's gonna be something done about skillige discard deck

+
TheShift;n7125850 said:
I think I played 10 games today.. I only won 4 I think..
Most were against skellige ..
What I found was..
A. If they don't counter my monsters deck in the first hand..
I build up on them... they rage quit...

B. If they kind of counter the first hand and I win it.. it's seemed to be a 50/50 chance I could win

C.if the countered the first hand... I stood no chance it seemed

Also... to the Rage quiters ...
Look deep...deep into my signature ...
Your eyes are getting heavy...so heavy...
Repeat after me...
I will not rage quit...I will stay and finish the game..
I will not rage quit ..I will stay and finish the game..

Thank you for that reasonable, sportsmanly sentiment that I do wholeheartedly agree with...

But I also think you may be highlighting a game imbalance. Can you provide any specifics of the various card-layouts of your 50/50 scenarios? That certainly sounds like a situation that occurs far too often, either win or lose.

SigilFey;n7141280 said:
Thank you for that reasonable, sportsmanly sentiment that I do wholeheartedly agree with...

But I also think you may be highlighting a game imbalance. Can you provide any specifics of the various card-layouts of your 50/50 scenarios? That certainly sounds like a situation that occurs far too often, either win or lose.

I'm not sure i can give a valid explanation ... i have had the beta since the first wave of invites,yet i have just now {last week or so} started playing everyday.. and i can tell most of the players i have come up against are on a higher level of game play.. so i loose a lot right now because i don't have a good deck to compete just yet..and i have not played much of the other factions to understand all of the counter mechanics {yet}

With that said,when i posted that, i had played 2 games against 2 skellige players... both of them i had a decent hand dealt,with a breeder type deck.. when i came full on with in the first round and a high score..those players both just quit.. maybe they did not know how to counter it and just raged quit{ i guess}

then with that same deck i played another skellige player..he countered my breeders and wiped me out by the second hand{but then of course i am not the best player yet,and dont have the best strategies or cards} to take on some of these higher level players..

Basically you are hearing from a n00b stand point... the rage quiters...i think i just got lucky .

As far as the 50/50 scenarios ..... using the same breeder type deck ... it seemed if i could get the first round..let them have the second round by passing,,i seemed to be able to take the 3rd round 50 percent of the time...

Again.. this all falls by on me being a n00b..and the luck of the Gods

:comeatmebro:

DEERCG;n7143410 said:
You're wrong, Skellige has 4 spy units.
my bad, forgot udalryk on the moment i was posting this since i rarely saw him but wouldnt call kambi a spy since he doesnt create card advantage which was a common trait of spies in witcher 3 gwent since we dont really have "spy" category in this game and instead any units played on enemy field are disloyal which is something different

I_Axii_your_Mother;n7136110 said:
I think there is a reason the lead game designer mains Skellige, they are very consistent. I’ve also been noticing nothing but buffs for them in the coming patch. They got base STR increases on pirate captain, and the Dimeritium Shackles can be seen as nothing but a buff for Skellige. Either play it on your huge base strength unit, or use it to “demote” your opponent’s strongest card. Plus I don’t see how giving Golden Madman Lugos a countdown allows for any counter play as they stated. Maybe if you are NR and you can demote him, where as they completely neutered Isengrim to allow for counter play. I guess at least now we can see Lugos coming at us with his pants down two rounds in advance.
Your points are biased. The buffs are pretty much only on cards that you almost never see in any Skellige decks right now, because they're nowhere near competitive, and in some case, their viability itself is seriously questionable. Meanwhile, stronger cards that gets picked all the time mostly got nerfed instead. King bran was a leader that was almost not picked, he got a small buff. Pirate captains and war longship, same (pirate captains actually also got a nerf in compensation for the buff in survivability btw). Kambi, same. Young bear had a bug corrected. Skjal was in no deck at all (I think I saw him ONCE in hundred of games). Morkvarg was hit very very hard by the shieldsmith's nerf, it's only fair he's getting a +1 str buff. The shieldsmith's buff in str is simply restoring the initial value of that card, since as I pointed out, the nerf didn't simply nerf the impact of that card on following round, but it's impact during the played round, and THAT was bad for skellige with already so few cards above 6 str during first round.

Ermion and Birna Bran got nerfed, savage bear got nerfed. Hjalmar got nerfed (but I don't understand why for this one). Lugos got nerfed. Harald got change, some peoples will call that a buff, I'm not convinced. He lost a lot of the "fear factor" that the -4 to all wounded was giving by only being there, and with the savage bear being removed more easily and the tremors hitting both side, it's an indirect nerf to the possibility of keeping your opponent wounded regularly. Sigrdrifa got nerfed too.

You also forgot to consider that last patch, most of the "always used" skellige units already got hit by serious nerfs, too.

Also, there's tons of counter to Lugos now.
D bomb, d shackle and demoting aside, the counter also allows for
Radovid
Triss
Iorverth
Roche
So without even going further, 2 NR, 2 ST, and one neutral card can kill him before the countdown reach zero. 2 neutral spells can deal with him afterwards, one is a simple single target bronze card. You can also try something with 2 cards combo as well, but it's a bit more ackward, like yen+harald or Yen+ Imlerith.

Anyway, there's plenty of counter for him, and at least one is available for all faction.
If later patches introduce more ability to wound gold, they're all going to be able to counter him as well, since his 4str makes him pretty much killed by every single single target ability who can damage gold.

Last edited:
Lugos is unplayable now (before his nerfs), so with the nerfs he's scrap fodder and that's it. Also Warship was played way more than savage bear, but they buffed warship and nerfed savage bear. Really odd changes.

gametheoryguy;n7151260 said:
Lugos is unplayable now (before his nerfs), so with the nerfs he's scrap fodder and that's it. Also Warship was played way more than savage bear, but they buffed warship and nerfed savage bear. Really odd changes.

You are wrong. He was very Powerfull for the patch and he dont loose any power. I think that his change is a buff and not a nerf.
Before the patch he was vulnerable to Dbomb, when you dont play last. Now he is immun to Dbomb.
He is now vulnerable to 4 cards. Radovik, Vernon Roches, Ioverth and Triss Merigold. I can live with this vulnerability.

Last edited:
Well if you don't play last as skellige, you messed up somewhere.

people cry at first at monster weather, next NR trebuchet, and then NR buff promote.
why nobody cry at all the advantage skellige got ?

To actually win with a buff promote deck now (before the patch) you need some luck and/or a opponent that doesnt now what kink of deck he is facing.
all this week i was using this cheese deck to make the daily fast and them going back to deck that i love to play and are more fun, at the start of this week, i had an insane winrate with it. at the end of the week i did go back to a monster deck to make the daily, everybody now the NR buff deck and how to counter it. if i get one win with it now it's because of insane luck.

I constantly face Skelllige deck that keep one card for the last round or that get +4/5 card advantage at the start of the second round, or SCO controle deck that pop +30 (or more) point the last turn and kill every non gold you put one the board.

'im not complaining, i still can make my daily and play more fun deck, but the end of this week had been a pain to play always against those kind of deck, and i dont see a lot of people talking about how "OP" or "cheesy" they are.

i'm approching lvl 100 and i'm seeing only skellige deck (discard or bear, or both), some SCO control + isengrim and some NR control (radovic).

i still manage to win some with my fun deck (not the cheesy for the daily) against SCO and NR, but against Skellige i'm close to 0% winrate with non-cheesy deck.

Skellige units are just too powerful. If you compare basic NR units to Skellige units then skellige has really big advantage. Main NR units are getting their peak power by stacking them ( blue stripes commando, reaver hunter for example ) but there is a lot of disadvantages in this tactic. There is much more options to deal with buffed units than with base strenght units which skellige is using a lot.

Fully buffed commando ( 3 of them on board ) has 9 strenght each which seems ok but you need to draw them somehow then u need to avoid weather then u need to avoid Dbomb then u need to avoid scorch then u need to avoid geralt igni. Skellige for example can use light longship which has 7 strenght in 1st round 9 in last round without any kind of buff so its slightly worse or same as buffed commando but weather don't do anything to them u can avoid geralt igni if u don't stack lets say 3 of them, D bomb does nothing against them. Basically there is much less counters and u need much less effort to get same value as NR with their units.

Also non of NR units is immune to weather meanwhile skellige can just spam pirates or ships ( 7 - 9 strenght without any buff immune to weather pretty sick in my opinion ). I think its big problem becasue technicly u can play lets say D bomb or clear skies after weather but that still cancel your buffs so your back to 4 - 5 strenght units which is not great. Scioatael can chose where to play their units which is counter to weather, skellige has 2 strong units immune to weather and monsters has a lot of units immune to weather. NR is kinda forced to play on siege row or melee row.

The biggest problem with NR was that henselt strat with olgierd roach bloody baron and demoting them then resing and so on but that already got nerfed you guys won't see it again ever and its good change. The problem is that NR got nerfed further and they didn't get much back. Philippa still will be unplayable the only unit which might be played now will be trebuchet ( not the 5 strenght one shoting every 3 rounds ) and reinforced ballista but thats it.

Last edited:
Lexandre;n7125450 said:
nope, the word "skellige" isnt misspelt in the title its just that deck is taking so much skill that you might as well always play cards in the same order and you will win anyway
the amount of pressure it creates by simply spamming discards and ending the game by flooding the field with medics and finishing with dimeritium bomb is disgusting
the core problem is of course dimeritium bomb

he strength of units in this game relies a lot on buffing them for all factions except skellige who instead have a bunch of bonuses for base strength of units, the last update that buffed the bomb to work against gold units and turned the attention on it simply flipped the role of that card and now instead of being a special card with specific uses its pretty much a skellige-themed version of ragh nar roog that kills all buffs on enemies while healing any damaged skellige units effectively being an extremely powerful finisher like commander's horn

I really don't thing skellige deck is really that strong which is impossible to counter. About ragh nar roog is tottly waste against monster as well NT once they turn cards into gold & lastly sco. don't have that high strength units & most of sco. players having dbomb. ragh nar roog is one time use only so I don't see any prob here.

Lexandre;n7125450 said:
there is also another problem: skellige has 2 spy units - birna and donar an hindar, while all other factions have only 1 spy unit, each spy unit generates 1 card advantage and that allows skellige to generate the necessary card advantage to get the last word in the match and finish with dimeritium bomb, also both skellige spies synergize extremely well with the discard theme

Yes but both spy together adds total of 17 strength on opp. field as well Birna draws 4 cards & many times there are special & golds cards are coming which you can't resurrect with any medic so there is huge possibility that you going to waste cards like horn, decoy, igni by giving 9 gold strength to opp. And if you plat properly & use that all spy strength for your advantage then I thing this deck is really not that hard to beat.

Lexandre;n7125450 said:
3rd issue is that discard deck rotates through the deck extremely fast, that means you will almost always have the cards you want to play while other decks have limited card draw options and end the game in the very best case with 7 out of 25 cards left in the deck skillige discard deck can easily end the game with only 2-3 cards out 25 remaining in their deck, that effectively reduces the deck size and lowers the RNG factor of card draw that other decks have to deal with

There are so many cards in NR which thins the deck like Reaver scout, Reinforcement, Priscilla, Thaler, Ves, plus card advantage with Stennis
- Monster too can thins the deck with foglet, wildhunt, crones riders plus card advantage with Avallac'h , Caretaker
- Sco. have the ability to play special cards again & again even with new patch sco. can play decoy/horn two times with nature gift plus card advantage with Ciaran, Yaevinn

plus we have neutral cards like last wish, decoy which any faction can use so why skellige is only powerful ?

Lexandre;n7125450 said:
even the graveyard monster deck which used to have a favorable match up against skellige by stealing/eating clan tuirseach skirmishers from graveyard is struggling against the current discard deck simply because skellige has a huge choice of units to use from graveyard in the end of the match: queensguards, clan dimun pirates, clan tuirseach skirmishers - you cant steal/eat them all and finishing with grave hag of frightener just begs for you to get crushed by dimeritium bomb which is ran in basically every skillige deck nowadays

I think it's it time to change your deck only as at least imo every faction is good & haves something good & bad. There are threads available on all factions with title this faction is too op blah blah blah but I think it's just your deck is weak against some strategy which is going to happened with any faction. Like I think this deck is surely not good against Weather monster as
skirmishers are not immune to weather.

Anyways I just posted my view, I never played discard deck... Thanks.

The only thing that bothers me with the discard decks is that it takes fucking ages to play them. Every single move they have to choose which card to play, then which card to keep, which do discard. It's utterly annoying ^^

Agreed. It takes no effort, skill or thought to play Skellige Discard/Revival decks, Clan Tuirseach Skirmishers, Dimitrium Bomb, etc.

I hope the deck gets nerfed hard because it rewards bad players for playing bad right now.

tallgeese88;n7161440 said:
I hope the deck gets nerfed hard because it rewards bad players for playing bad right now.

Keep hoping, because it got actually buffed lol

OwNeDUp;n7152650 said:
Skellige units are just too powerful. If you compare basic NR units to Skellige units then skellige has really big advantage. Main NR units are getting their peak power by stacking them ( blue stripes commando, reaver hunter for example ) but there is a lot of disadvantages in this tactic. There is much more options to deal with buffed units than with base strenght units which skellige is using a lot.

Fully buffed commando ( 3 of them on board ) has 9 strenght each which seems ok but you need to draw them somehow then u need to avoid weather then u need to avoid Dbomb then u need to avoid scorch then u need to avoid geralt igni. Skellige for example can use light longship which has 7 strenght in 1st round 9 in last round without any kind of buff so its slightly worse or same as buffed commando but weather don't do anything to them u can avoid geralt igni if u don't stack lets say 3 of them, D bomb does nothing against them. Basically there is much less counters and u need much less effort to get same value as NR with their units.

Also non of NR units is immune to weather meanwhile skellige can just spam pirates or ships ( 7 - 9 strenght without any buff immune to weather pretty sick in my opinion ). I think its big problem becasue technicly u can play lets say D bomb or clear skies after weather but that still cancel your buffs so your back to 4 - 5 strenght units which is not great. Scioatael can chose where to play their units which is counter to weather, skellige has 2 strong units immune to weather and monsters has a lot of units immune to weather. NR is kinda forced to play on siege row or melee row.

The biggest problem with NR was that henselt strat with olgierd roach bloody baron and demoting them then resing and so on but that already got nerfed you guys won't see it again ever and its good change. The problem is that NR got nerfed further and they didn't get much back. Philippa still will be unplayable the only unit which might be played now will be trebuchet ( not the 5 strenght one shoting every 3 rounds ) and reinforced ballista but thats it.

quality post and I agree, having high strength units that ignore weather is another oddity which skellige is entitled to get for no reason at all

monsters which are balanced around being immune to weather have really low numbers on units that have weather immunity, such as WH warrior or rider, sure they have other pluses - one can remove 1 strength and another swarms the field with copies but those advantages still make them weaker than skellige weather immune units

ancient foglet and frost giant are really the only good weather-immune monster cards but ancient foglet falls perfectly into kill range for alzur's thunder and they're vulnerable to other damaging removals before they gain some strength and frost giant is a silver card and can be included only once into the deck and occupies a silver slot while skellige just gets cheap and strong weather immune cards for free

lol the highest unit immune to weather in SK is 7 str, that's reached after one turn in fog by any ancient foglet. Second highest is 6, that's an unbuffed ancient foglet or three foglets coming out for free whjen playing fog.
That's less than the 9 str provided by the wild hunt muster, and that's less than what is provided by the wild hunt warrior from next patch on as well. Drowner will have 1 str less but will have an anti weather immunity so that's a massive counter to any of those skellige unit except the longship itself. Others are all 6 or less as well.

Some peoples here are having weird ideas about the str of weather immune units in skellige, maybe we're not playing the same game or something.

Last edited:
There's a Monster control deck that deals with Skellige discard. The problem is that people stick to spamming weather. Good luck with that.
As of now, Scoiatael and Skellige are about even, although Skellige is easier to play imo and that shows in the number of people using that deck.
Btw, trying to build a new Skellige deck, don't know the name yet but methinks it should be good and interesting.

HenryGrosmont;n7163310 said:
Btw, trying to build a new Skellige deck, don't know the name yet but methinks it should be good and interesting.

Hey don't copy my deck hahahaha just kidding ;)

I wish Skellige discard was half as strong as some of the people commenting in this thread think it is. You've obviously never tried playing with it against skilled players. It took me well over an hour tonight just to get three wins for my first daily level because I kept running into good players with good Scoia control, Radovid control, and the big monster deck that can be troublesome too. I was also getting terrible draws, like having zero discard cards in the first round in multiple games. Nothing like drawing Birna after losing round 1 and having to play her in rounds you need to win. Honestly, if you can't figure out how to beat Skellige discard the problem is you. Oh well, I lost so many games tonight that maybe tomorrow the ranking will kick me back down for some easy wins against the cannon fodder commenting here.

rvonlin;n7163370 said:
I kept running into good players with good Scoia control

I must have near 90% win rate against skell discard playing scoia control. If you win first round is pretty much gg.

But that discard build will be nasty after the patch.

Laveley;n7163440 said:
I must have near 90% win rate against skell discard playing scoia control. If you win first round is pretty much gg.

But that discard build will be nasty after the patch.

Nope after the patch you going to see skellige control deck more with Herald then discard decks :)

Top Bottom