Horizon Forbidden West

+
They'll have to step up the voice acting, the quality of writing on the story and side-content and facial animation compared to the first game. I only really enjoyed the gameplay everything else was oof. Voice acting as bad as oblivion if not worse with zero of the charm. Dull characters all around and a story I truly didn't care about.

It's a shame cos the concept and the world its set in is pretty damn interesting and cool but yeah didn't like the first game all that much.

They'll have to step up the voice acting, the quality of writing on the story and side-content and facial animation compared to the first game. I only really enjoyed the gameplay everything else was oof. Voice acting as bad as oblivion if not worse with zero of the charm. Dull characters all around and a story I truly didn't care about.

It's a shame cos the concept and the world its set in is pretty damn interesting and cool but yeah didn't like the first game all that much.
I really liked the lore but yeah, characters and story itself weren't par to the best PS4 games.

I watched some of videos of the first game and none of the lore, story or characters were appealing to me. I still didn't play it and I don't think I will. The sequel looks gorgeous, though.

As per the title, anyone else looking forward to playing as Aloy again, fighting machines and most likely still getting mad at Ted Faro?

As per the title, anyone else looking forward to playing as Aloy again, fighting machines and most likely still getting mad at Ted Faro?

I am, Horizon: ZD remains one of my favorite game from last generation and definitely one of the best games I've played in recent years. From everything I've seen so far, Forbidden West is shaping up to be a worthy successor.

I don't own a PS5 yet though and I'm waiting for confirmation that it actually is a worthy successor to buy one. If it's not, I'll have saved a few hundred bucks lol. For now anyway...

I am, Horizon: ZD remains one of my favorite game from last generation and definitely one of the best games I've played in recent years. From everything I've seen so far, Forbidden West is shaping up to be a worthy successor.

Me too, HZD is one of my all time favourite games. I loved the way Guerrilla Games took what initially seemed to be a personal story; Why is Aloy an outcast, and then expanded it to her being far greater and important that she, or anyone else could ever have imagined. And the story it's self had me absolutely hooked since obviously life never ended ... right?

The music too, so on point, and going by the latest trailer for Forbidden West, it looks like the music has been dialled up to 11!

I don't own a PS5 yet though and I'm waiting for confirmation that it actually is a worthy successor to buy one. If it's not, I'll have saved a few hundred bucks lol. For now anyway...

I don't have one yet either, but I want one for Forbidden West alone. Though where I'm from, its quite tricky to get one at the moment. :cry:

Me too, HZD is one of my all time favourite games. I loved the way Guerrilla Games took what initially seemed to be a personal story; Why is Aloy an outcast, and then expanded it to her being far greater and important that she, or anyone else could ever have imagined. And the story it's self had me absolutely hooked since obviously life never ended ... right?

The music too, so on point, and going by the latest trailer for Forbidden West, it looks like the music has been dialled up to 11!

Frankly I thought everything about it is expertly crafted. From the story and setting to the lore, the world and everything in between but the enemies and the combat revolving around them was especially good. The way they managed to actually make it feel like each type of enemy is a prey and you, as the hunter, need to know them to better fight them was something else. The combat was so approachable but mastering it felt amazing.
I don't have one yet either, but I want one for Forbidden West alone. Though where I'm from, its quite tricky to get one at the moment. :cry:

I feel you, it's kind of complicated here too. It's mostly stock. Very few places get more than 1-2 a week (if even that) and they sell like hotcakes. I got a deal with some family members and friends that whoever finds one buys it for whichever one of us doesn't have one yet and just ship it across country if necessary until we all have one. So far it's worked out great. I'm the only one who doesn't own one yet and it's out of choice but I bought two and shipped them so I expect the favor back lol.

Frankly I thought everything about it is expertly crafted. From the story and setting to the lore, the world and everything in between but the enemies and the combat revolving around them was especially good. The way they managed to actually make it feel like each type of enemy is a prey and you, as the hunter, need to know them to better fight them was something else. The combat was so approachable but mastering it felt amazing.
Couldn't have said it better.

For me the story was the best part, such good writing. What got me thinking, and really feeling for Aloy was that once she understood more about the old world, and technology, the whole belief in spirits, gods, and worship must have felt so redundant to her. She understood more, and became better educated than those who were supposed to be the wisest in her tribe.

Masterful writing.
I feel you, it's kind of complicated here too. It's mostly stock. Very few places get more than 1-2 a week (if even that) and they sell like hotcakes. I got a deal with some family members and friends that whoever finds one buys it for whichever one of us doesn't have one yet and just ship it across country if necessary until we all have one. So far it's worked out great. I'm the only one who doesn't own one yet and it's out of choice but I bought two and shipped them so I expect the favor back lol.

Ah luck you and top family too, Dom would be proud;
1643065749065.png

I am. I quite like the game world. Themes are decent, though I think they should have afforded at least some credit to Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind... Someone let me know if they ever did.

The only thing I really hope for is that Aloy is a more well-rounded and less insecure character this time around. There were several moments I could almost hear 'yaasss, boss bitch!' echo in my mind whenever she would unnecessarily snap at a character of the opposite sex for no apparent reason... "Hey, nice staff. Where'd you get it?" - "Wouldn't you like to know, PIG!?"

Couldn't have said it better.

For me the story was the best part, such good writing. What got me thinking, and really feeling for Aloy was that once she understood more about the old world, and technology, the whole belief in spirits, gods, and worship must have felt so redundant to her. She understood more, and became better educated than those who were supposed to be the wisest in her tribe.

Masterful writing.

Fully agree. The expansion only further expanded that. I'm genuinely excited to see where they're going with the story and world with the sequel.
Ah luck you and top family too, Dom would be proud;
View attachment 11276347

An image, or one of it's many various variants, that has very often come up in our group whenever we found and shipped one. Dom would indeed be proud.

I am. I quite like the game world. Themes are decent, though I think they should have afforded at least some credit to Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind... Someone let me know if they ever did.

I've never thought of that before, but now that you mention it, I'm feeling that vibe. And its a good vibe! :)
The only thing I really hope for is that Aloy is a more well-rounded and less insecure character this time around. There were several moments I could almost hear 'yaasss, boss bitch!' echo in my mind whenever she would unnecessarily snap at a character of the opposite sex for no apparent reason... "Hey, nice staff. Where'd you get it?" - "Wouldn't you like to know, PIG!?"

Yeah lets hope so. To be a little fair to her regarding her insecurities, she did have a lot to be insecure about, and had little exposure to others too. And on top of that, once she learns of her "birth", then that's pressure to live up to her "mother", stop the world from being destroyed, and still have those same insecurities :/

Looking at the story trailer, it does look like she's a bit less snappy, and probably less insecure. But no doubts she'll still want to live up to her "mothers" standards.

I've never thought of that before, but now that you mention it, I'm feeling that vibe. And its a good vibe! :)

Yeah lets hope so. To be a little fair to her regarding her insecurities, she did have a lot to be insecure about, and had little exposure to others too. And on top of that, once she learns of her "birth", then that's pressure to live up to her "mother", stop the world from being destroyed, and still have those same insecurities :/

Looking at the story trailer, it does look like she's a bit less snappy, and probably less insecure. But no doubts she'll still want to live up to her "mothers" standards.
That's a fair point. I shouldn't have said her insecurity was a problem, so much as the passive-aggressive departures that take place on a few occasions in the open-world. The moment(s) sticks out because it was uncalled for and quite different from the curious, yet careful, character traits Aloy bares since the opening sequence. I didn't notice it much in the larger beats, if at all. It happened in only a few open-world interactions from what I remember. This could have only been the projections of a junior writer self-inserting. It simply jolted me out of the game.

EDIT: Narratively speaking it leans into Nausicaa material quite a bit. Mankind's military tech destroyed the world, humanity is sent back in time scientifically(though more extreme in HZD), giant creatures roam the land as mankind has created new religions and societies based around the remnants and humans grapple with their conditions. Even some story beats - red haired protagonist must cultivate a relationship with unruly beats to overcome a militarily superior force that wishes to use taboo ancient tech for power.

Last edited:
Probably in a year or so, I liked it, it was a fun thing to play but linear as hell and combat soon gets very samey. The story premise was good but there was no roleplay in it for me and I really didn't get the point of the different dialogue options

I'll be buying for sure, liked the first one quite a bit (enough to get the platinum trophy) and loved fighting Thunderjaws. The Frozen Wilds DLC was really good too.
Will have to play on PS4 but I'm sure it'll be fine. Decima seems to be a really good engine.

I'm going to play it on day one on PS5, but I'll probably drop it one week later for elden ring.

In the first game the lore (all that led to the end of the civilization and how humans found a solution) was able to hold the whole narrative, while the story per se wasn't anything special. I fear that in the sequel they haven't improved upon it enough to compensate the fact there's no lore to discover anymore. I also hope side quests were significantly improved this time.

I'm going to play it on day one on PS5, but I'll probably drop it one week later for elden ring.

In the first game the lore (all that led to the end of the civilization and how humans found a solution) was able to hold the whole narrative, while the story per se wasn't anything special. I fear that in the sequel they haven't improved upon it enough to compensate the fact there's no lore to discover anymore. I also hope side quests were significantly improved this time.

Let us know what your first impressions are.

I'm not even sure why I'm holding back on buying a PS5 at this point. I'm obviously gonna get one the second I see a positive review of FW.

And I feel you on Elden ring. February is genuinely a shit month. So many great games to play.

I'm waiting for Dying Light 2's reviews to buy it on Feb 4th. Got Total War: Warhammer 3 pre-ordered for Feb 17th and Elden Ring pre-ordered for Feb 24th. If FW gets good reviews, I'll have to throw it in there too. I'm lucky if I get 2 hours of play time each day. My gaming schedule is full for the rest of 2022 because of February alone

Top Bottom