Horizontal Resolutions >4096 are missing parts of UI beyond 4096 pixels. (Nvidia Surround, Ultrawide, 8K has broken UI)

+
Since launch and until, and including, the time of this update (1.1), UI content beyond 4096 pixels horizontal has issues with rendering.

Additionally, at a certain point for aspect ratios, horizontal movement during cutscenes is disabled a lot of the time. This makes the only way to complete some quests being lower the resolution to a warped aspect ratio, do the action, then return the resolution to normal.
The first time this becomes an issue is with Victor getting the optical cyberwear, where he asks you to scan him. When the camera is centered horizontally, he is too far to the side of the center to scan without horizontal movement
There are additional times this is game breaking, but I don't remember them off-hand.

Just to note, some of these issues are only present and obvious if the game is launched at full resolution (being 7680x1440 [triple QHD] or 11520x2160 [triple UHD] for nvidia surround at least). Launching it at a lesser resolution and then changing to a higher resolution seems to cause the game to change/recalculate some settings that it does not do at start-up, causing some content that previously was not rendering to be visible. Some content is always missing though. More details are provided below as to what content falls into which case, as well as details into the work-around hoops I jump through to at least get by enough to finish the game with moderate inconveniences.

The issues aren't nearly as noticeable at 5760x1080, as 4096 pixels is well into the right-most monitor, and most of the rendered UI content is in the center monitor.

(Also, it is really annoying to have the HUD spread out across all 3 monitors instead of only on the center 16:9 of the screen, but that's not game breaking and a different issue altogether. Just who wants to have to turn your head 45 degrees to the right to see the minimap? To follow directions driving through night city having to constantly turn your head back and forth to not crash into anything but not miss a turn? To check ammo or health?)

If the game is launched at a higher resolution than ???x4096, at a bare minimum all menu content beyond 4096 pixels is cut off, as well as most UI.
Examples at 11520x2160:
Main Menu (also applies for map, inventory, etc.):

Loading screen:

Character Creation:

Conversation Choices (only shadow for text for first option is present, others missing):

Quest Marker (Quest marker gets cut off at 4096 pixels) & Corpo HUD (Arasaka and graph at bottom cut off at 4096 pixels):

There is, however, a work around that manages to get most UI content to render. If the game is started at 1024x768, and then the resolution is changed, most UI will render properly. There are, however, some exceptions:

Chapter Titles (I.e. prologue, etc.):

Cyberwear Vendor (item icons don't render):

Upgrades (upgrade details missing in right pane):

Crafting (item icons don't render):

Phone/Popup Text Messages (no text):

Popup Shards (no text):

Some settings menus, but not all:

And shards/text messages in full menu are inconsistent. Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't. For example:

The workaround I've finished playthrough with was to lower the resolution to 5760x1080 temporarily whenever I needed to read or reply to some content that was not visible at full resolution. This is far from ideal.

Also, it's hit or miss, but almost all of Johnny's UI renders like without the workaround, even after the workaround.

EDIT: Completely redid the first post to more concisely describe the problem and provide examples.

Last edited:
Can confirm that I am also having this bug. No option for 2560x1440 exists in the game or in Geforce Experience so if I want to play the game, I have to play at 1920x1080 windowed. Fullscreen doesn't work at all when set to any resolution.

Cyberpunk Broken UI.png

Here's lots more screenshots on 11520x2160 (16:3/48:9)
1. Main Menu (completely broken)
2. For some reason action hints sortof show up despite being right of the cutoff point for almost everything else?
3. Screen as a whole showing no UI elements past the cutoff point (i.e. minimap)
4. Single conversation option displays (missing all others) and after using arrow keys to select the invisible option, or from invisible to visible I can't tell, the conversation option is still there, but shadowed black and hard to read.
5. Conversation option default after pressing F on the person, not sure if it's selected or deselected, but it's yellow and easy to read.
6. Close up of cut off point, showing UI just cutting off, and quest marker on the edge of the cutoff point partially cut off.
Post automatically merged:

Ok, so I've found a workaround that sortof works, it doesn't fix all the UI, but at least a significant portion. Only has to be repeated every single time the game is restarted.
Open the config file C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077\UserSettings.json
find the resolution and change the value to anything except the proper resolution
{
"name": "Resolution",
"type": "string_list",
"is_dynamic": true,
"value": "11520x2160",
"index": 24
},

This will force the game to start up in 1024x768 (or something like that), super stretched and awful looking, but at least able to access the menus.
After that, go in to settings, and change the resolution to the proper resolution. The video tab will stop rendering it's options after this, but most of settings will work. And most of the UI in game appears to work from a quick test too!
After restarting the game again the behaviour reverts to completely broken, but it's still progress and might make it playable.

I'll test more tonight after my kids go to bed.

Attachments

• IMG_6659.jpg
    IMG_6659.jpg
    855.7 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_6671.jpg
    IMG_6671.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_6662.jpg
    IMG_6662.jpg
    943.5 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_6676.jpg
    IMG_6676.jpg
    612.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_6675.jpg
    IMG_6675.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_6673.jpg
    IMG_6673.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Kakodaimonon, I have the same problem with my RTX 3090 and Three 55 in TVs. I was able to do what you did. After setting the video to Triple 4K, I lost the front end menu. However, memorized the order. At least for now, I can load and save my game and play in triple 4K. Thank you so much! I will update you with any changes. During gameplay, the only issue I have so far is responding to the people with the response that I want. I am having trouble seeing which option is highlighted. I hope this gets fixes soon. So far, the graphics are incredible.

Kakodaimonon, I have the same problem with my RTX 3090 and Three 55 in TVs. I was able to do what you did. After setting the video to Triple 4K, I lost the front end menu. However, memorized the order. At least for now, I can load and save my game and play in triple 4K. Thank you so much! I will update you with any changes. During gameplay, the only issue I have so far is responding to the people with the response that I want. I am having trouble seeing which option is highlighted. I hope this gets fixes soon. So far, the graphics are incredible.

You're losing the menu and part of the HUD after setting to 11520x2160 before even restarting the game? (because it always breaks if the game actually starts at 11520x2160). I wonder why it's different for you than it is for me? You're on the latest nvidia drivers?

Take a look at my video of changing the settings and what I see for comparison

Just to keep track of issues present after the workaround to get most stuff working, attaching more screenshots of issues present. Will update with more as I capture them.

0. Ripperdoc store icons missing (can't upload videos) 1. Phone is missing all text (contact info, etc.)
2. Datashards are missing all text
3. Video settings missing all text
4. Messages missing all text
5. Item pickup missing text in centered red box
6. Shards list missing all text

[to screenshot and upload]
Some (very few) store icons are missing
Unable to move camera horizontally on fixed cutscenes
Text headers get cut off (i.e. Prologue [I assume that's what it says] at the very start only shows Pro before being cut off)
Bezel correction does not work

Attachments

• IMG_6691.jpg
    IMG_6691.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_6688.jpg
    IMG_6688.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_6694.jpg
    IMG_6694.jpg
    684.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_6698.jpg
    IMG_6698.jpg
    704.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6700.jpg
    IMG_6700.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6699.jpg
    IMG_6699.jpg
    742.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
In the same boat as everyone else above (3x 27" Monitors - 7680x1440) . 1.04 didn't fix it. Not feeling playing this at 2560x1440

I disabled surround for this game and am parking all my Sim racing for a while for CP2077. I am right at my 1080ti limit even at 1080p single so 5760x1080 would be ridiculous :ROFLMAO:

kakodaimonon after I set my resolution to Triple 4k and exit the game, if I restart the game, it loads fine in Triple 4K. I cannot see the main menu items (all I see is the cursor). However, I do not have to modify the UserSettings.json file each time. I am NOT using the latest drivers (460.79). I am using the 456.38 drivers. For whatever reason, any driver above 456.38 kills my surround in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Update. When trying to use the breach option during the game, I cannot manipulate the interface to put in the right code. So frustrating. I play al of my game in surround and I was looking forward to playing this one. I really hope they fix this. I don't want to play with one monitor. When the game does not require me to use any interface similar to the front end menu, it looks amazing on three monitors and runs very smoothly on my rtx 3090.

Last edited:
Update: I've completely uninstalled the game and given up. I'll pick it back up after they release Multiplayer for it, maybe by then they'll actually get with the times and realize that there are lots of us in the triple monitor gaming world and set up a test rig for that.

kakodaimonon after I set my resolution to Triple 4k and exit the game, if I restart the game, it loads fine in Triple 4K. I cannot see the main menu items (all I see is the cursor). However, I do not have to modify the UserSettings.json file each time.
It's playable without doing the resolution every time for me, but things like the all in game menus, the minimap, quest objectives, quest markers, dialog choices, etc. all only appear more or less in a proper way if I do the resolution every time unfortunately. (of course some things are broken no matter what unless I drop the resolution down 1 step from 11520x2160 just for the purpose of doing them)

Has CDPR even acknowledged this issue yet? If it's not fixed soon I'll be asking for a refund.

Has CDPR acknowledged any issues yet? All I've seen is in the patch notes what they've fixed so far, never what they're aware of or going to fix. Also they don't look at the forums for bug reports, you have to submit bugs through https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/cyberpunk/pc

Last edited:
It's playable without doing the resolution every time for me, but things like the all in game menus, the minimap, quest objectives, quest markers, dialog choices, etc. all only appear more or less in a proper way if I do the resolution every time unfortunately. (of course some things are broken no matter what unless I drop the resolution down 1 step from 11520x2160 just for the purpose of doing them)

Has CDPR acknowledged any issues yet? All I've seen is in the patch notes what they've fixed so far, never what they're aware of or going to fix. Also they don't look at the forums for bug reports, you have to submit bugs through https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/cyberpunk/pc

All I got from my bug report was a canned response that they'd respond within 12-24 hours. Haven't heard anything since.

definitely am watching this space. multi monitor resolutions and widescreen resolutions are all broken to an extent:
5760x1200 is the only one that renders everything properly - but the the res is so low - you dont get the feel of night city proper.

I was really hopeful that multi monitor scenarios were getting more love with how newer titles like AC:Valhalla and Watchdogs:Legion treated multi monitor concerns as first class concerns at launch - with ui constraint settings and all. ubi is usually awful about such things - so i thought maybe an industry shift. hope this gets some love - because it seems like something that can be addressed without a ton of dev cycles.

And 1.05 patch notes have no mention of anything to do with these issues...
I wonder if they even got my bug reports since I never even got a confirmation email

EDIT: 1.05 fixes nothing, and actually make my game more broken with fps drops every time the mouse moves, even in the menu

Last edited:
I've updated the first post to include a lot more details and screenshots, as well as describe the issue more accurately based on information I've discovered playing. The cut off is at exactly 4096 pixels.

I have 3 lg 38GN950-B ultrawides that do 11520x1600 @144hz on my 3090. I just finished Horizon Zero Dawn at this setting using NVIDIA Surround and it was a fantastic experience. Loading Cyberpunk has been abysmal in comparison. I have even less of the menu showing than OP because of the reduced vertical (1600 vs 2160). I'm on patch 1.22,so problem still not fixed yet. I won't be playing this unless on triple screen, too much other content out there I have yet to play that does work with triple screen.

Top Bottom