horse control

+
horse control

Near the beginning I need Roach to catch someone.
He never seems to do what I want.
It wants you to hold shift to do everything.
Sometimes it follows the road, somethimes it doesn't.
Is the only difference between gallop and cantor(sp) speed; can you not change directions while running either those ways?
If I accidently go off the road in the wrong direction how do I remedy that?
When does camera angle matter; only when moving slowly, i.e. "wasd"?
If so then what do I do to go in that mode, release shift, press it again?

For me holding down W is the only guarantee Roche will turn on a dime. If I let up on W and try to sharp turn with A or D, Roche will stop up short. So try keeping a finger on W whenever when you sprint, and use your mouse and/or A and D to steer. She actually controls quite well when you do this.

For the next Witcher game. please developers.. Copy the horse controls from Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain. It's so smooth, so natural, so sweet, it feels like actually riding a horse and not a tank like Roach.

For the next Witcher game. please developers.. Copy the horse controls from Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain. It's so smooth, so natural, so sweet, it feels like actually riding a horse and not a tank like Roach.

Honestly D Horse is quite awkward at times too.

yup, use mouse for controling the direction.. must admit, controller is no match for mouse in this... and never will be. i bought Xbox One controller recently just to try it with W3 because many told me its better to play the game with it, but i dont see it... its just way too chaotic for me to control camera view and character movement together at the same time..

Did you know that in Metal Gear Solid - Phantom Pain you can make the horse shit on command? :D I miss this awesome feature in Witcher 3 so badly.
And yes the horse controls are a little bit... hmm.... well let`s say I prefer walking Geralt most of the time because of these "special" horse controls.
I use the horse only when Geralt is overencumbered and therefore cannot run anymore.

And no mod for better handling in sight :(

Last edited:

No, please, no, worst horse after those in Dragon Age Inquisition.

Roach can't turn, roach just steers slowly.

D-Horse is the most realistic and best programmed horse ever created. All hail D.

Yeah Roach and D-horse can be a pain in the ass sometimes.
Red dead redemption had probably the best horse controls that I have seen.

But Roach has some awesome moments from time to time XD

here's another question, does anyone actually bother with horse combat? there's actually a decoction in W3 that enhances horse combat but as far as i'm concerned, it takes amazing reflexes to be able to time an attack on horseback just right...and freaking hard to manuever to the next opponent.

there's a lot of times when Roach is so hard to maneuver i just pop the Werewolf decoction and just run around everywhere instead.

here's another question, does anyone actually bother with horse combat? there's actually a decoction in W3 that enhances horse combat but as far as i'm concerned, it takes amazing reflexes to be able to time an attack on horseback just right...and freaking hard to manuever to the next opponent.

there's a lot of times when Roach is so hard to maneuver i just pop the Werewolf decoction and just run around everywhere instead.

I almost always clear bandit camps on horseback. She's not hard to maneuver if you practice. (PC, K&M). The important thing is to take your time, don't try to do tight turns, and don't run into things. You watch where you're going, rather than who you're going to attack.

Basically, you need to go in circles or figures-of-eight. Attack someone, keep going, turn in a wide circle, go back and do it again. Never ride in straight lines towards anyone with a bow unless you can reach him before he's reloaded.

You can clear camps 10 levels above you without taking damage, it just takes a while.

OTOH i'm level 69 now, so basically nothing past, oh, level 82 townguards are a challenge anymore...haha.

We got consoled here sadly. To prove the point, pretty much all roach controls make sense... if you take you hand away from the mouse when on it. The auto camera, movement etc. Its a really smooth experience.

What i found that made the world of difference is setting up autorun by using a programmable key to toggle 'w' when pressed. The little stab in the face frustration of roach not moving at the start completely goes away if you're not holding the button down. The first thing you realize about actually having this autorun is.. 'why on earth would you get a mount if it doesn't move by itself?!' You can also make up with the mouse and rest of the horse controls with autorun functionality, it turns out not bad at all.

Top Bottom