Horse Trot (walk) Frame stutter

+
Horse Trot (walk) Frame stutter

(Apologies if a thread already exists regarding this matter, but it failed to be found by the search function)

Issue: Whilst trotting on horse back, game stutters.

Every time I trot (walk) whilst riding a horse any where in the world, the game stutters. Its not a frame stutter as my FPS never changes, its rather like a frame is missing in the animation loop. It happens at the exact same point in the animation every time and makes it look like the screen gets caught on something for a fraction of a second.

The repetitive motion of this stutter makes it unbearable to trot for more than a couple of seconds. This does not happen whilst on foot or whilst cantering or galloping, so it definitely seems to be a problem with the animation its self.

Has this been noted by CDPR previously or raised in a significant way?

Are you sure about it? Because I really have a problem believing they are working on fixing something that isn't broken.

As I said in another thread, that "problem" has nothing to do with "stuttering". It is just the animation of the horse that does a "skip" to simulate what it happens when trotting (or do you expect mounting an horse to be a smooth process?). If you ever mounted an horse you would know that the animation is quite similar to what really happens (in fact I was pretty impressed when I first saw that particular animation since it is a good simulation of the sensation trotting an horse gives).

If they are really "working" on it then it means they will make the animation remove that sort of skipping, making it smooth (as if an horse was a car) and hence removing the fidelity with the real thing it now has and, as it is always the case, this will happen because of people not knowing what they are asking asking anyway, just because everything they don't understand must obviously be wrong.

It would be like me pretending devs of a F1 simulation game to "fix" the impression of heaviness on the wheel while driving, just because I find it "annoying". The difference is that in that case probably 90% of the people on forums etc. would call me a fool for suggesting something as that, but in this case since I am sure not many of those who play the Witcher have ever mounted an horse in real life, sadly there are not many people that can do the same here.

Last edited:
This is not a Horse riding simulation game, so even if your point was correct, it would still be totally invalid.

Intended or not, the skip in the animation is jarring, painful to watch and immersion breaking for many people.

I am extremely OCD about many things including games. yet.....

.....I have no issue walking throughout the world on horseback as it's such an incredibly minor thing. This is coming from someone who desires perfection in life and notices all the details. It is not even remotely a problem for me and yes I do notice it. It's just so small I'm not bothered.

It's kind of odd seeing people get more OCD crazy than myself for a change.

When it comes to smoothness of gameplay, Im as OCD as it gets. 60fps at all times or Im not happy!

But surely something that happens every 2 seconds without failure whilst doing a certain action can't be considered minor?

Weird, I've never had this issue at all. I wonder if it could be related to CPU usage. Witcher 3 is best played on a hyperthreaded CPU rather than a straight quadcore. This game can take up a lot of CPU cycles, which can cause micro stutters in non hyperthreaded CPUs. It's possible that the horse animations being CPU intensive could trigger this..

Weird, I've never had this issue at all. I wonder if it could be related to CPU usage. Witcher 3 is best played on a hyperthreaded CPU rather than a straight quadcore. This game can take up a lot of CPU cycles, which can cause micro stutters in non hyperthreaded CPUs. It's possible that the horse animations being CPU intensive could trigger this..

Its all over the forums and youtube;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5I5EZB9aA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFH7gufhI0o

and it seems to be happening for everyone regardless of spec or platform (its on the consoles too).

This tells me its not a hardware issue, but its in the game for everyone and some just dont notice.

Aye. It's quite annoying. I rarely ride Roach due to it. In no way is it representing how a horse trots. The whole scene seems to skip a frame.

Its all over the forums and youtube;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5I5EZB9aA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFH7gufhI0o

and it seems to be happening for everyone regardless of spec or platform (its on the consoles too).

This tells me its not a hardware issue, but its in the game for everyone and some just dont notice.

I don't know man. I'm very sensitive to stutter, so if it was there I'd notice it I think. But I concede it's possible I may have been missing it the entire time. I'll take a good look the next time I boot up the game.

I don't know man. I'm very sensitive to stutter, so if it was there I'd notice it I think. But I concede it's possible I may have been missing it the entire time. I'll take a good look the next time I boot up the game.

No dont! When you see it you can't unsee it! haha

I fully understand if you've missed it, my house mate plays too and he didn't notice. However, I pointed it out to him and now it annoys him just as much!

---------- Updated at 01:44 PM ----------

I've contacted tech support about it; I'll post the conversation on here when they reply.

When it comes to smoothness of gameplay, Im as OCD as it gets. 60fps at all times or Im not happy!

But surely something that happens every 2 seconds without failure whilst doing a certain action can't be considered minor?

It's just minor for me. I can clearly notice it but it never stops me from going on long walks with Roach. Stuttering drives me mental but this just doesn't phase me.

My email chain with tech support after I explained the issue:

Grzegorz: 'We are sorry to hear about that. Could you provide us with a video footage showing this issue?'

Me: - (replied with links to various videos and forum threads)

Grzegorz: 'Thank you for providing us with those videos. I have passed them to development team for further investigation'

Me: Will I be notified it the team decides to work on the issue?

Marcin (development team member): 'Should we add any changes to the given feature, we will list them in the upcoming patches' changelogs :)'

vladgiurgiubv

My email chain with tech support after I explained the issue:

Grzegorz: 'We are sorry to hear about that. Could you provide us with a video footage showing this issue?'

Me: - (replied with links to various videos and forum threads)

Grzegorz: 'Thank you for providing us with those videos. I have passed them to development team for further investigation'

Me: Will I be notified it the team decides to work on the issue?

Marcin (development team member): 'Should we add any changes to the given feature, we will list them in the upcoming patches' changelogs :)'

that means that they are only now aware of the problem?

I can see the same suttering when running and sprinting

That's exactly my same problem...riding, sprinting and running but also even if i'm just doing nothing and watching beautiful views...even if fps never drops below 25 i can clearly notice this annoying microstuttering...

I doubt its the same type of stutter, as the horse trot stutter happens like clockwork at a set specific moment in the animation cycle.

For general frame stutter issues; see the (currently) last post on this thread: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/836519/pc-games/witcher-3-stuttering-despite-80-fps/2/

as for whether they are aware of the issue only now, or were already so; I'd wager they were already aware. I am definitely not the first person to send in a ticket, and if you look at this thread which CDPR are replying on, you can see that the issue is in many peoples wish lists for the next patch: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/49491-Patch-1-07-Expectations/page5

Top Bottom