[HoS] Boss Fights

+
[HoS] Boss Fights

I'm sorry CDProjecktRed, but despite the generally outstanding level of quality in the core game as well as the expansion, the boss fights in HoS stand out as some of the most poorly designed, boring, tedious, uncreative fights Ive seen in many, many years. As a player who has no trouble playing on Death march, I had to lower the difficulty down to Story and Sword for both the Toad and the Caretaker, and the latter of these still took almost 35 minutes of continuous fighting to beat. And before you idiots tell me that "oh don't get hit, it's easy" - stop. You will eventually get hit, and each hit puts you back several minutes of fighting in progress.

It's good to know that all the mechanical skills that I've developed in the many hours of playing the game are just spat upon by the developers who think that 30+ minute grindfest pieces of shit fights are good. If I could get a refund, I would. I'm not going to recommend the expansion to my friends.

Last edited:
didn't find either of those bosses particularly hard on death march, toad you just use igni when he starts spewing the green stuff and it explodes and takes off big chunks of his health... caretaker you just whack when he gets stuck....

Yep those are the obvious strategies. Except when you say "big chunks" of the toads health, you mean "imperceptibly tiny" amounts of health? As for the caretaker, yup, you hit him when he's stuck, for 100-150 dmg per swing, and he heals for 1400+ each cleave.

How long did you need to defeat Imlerith?, Tbh I found this one on deathmarch way more difficult than any of HOS fights.

Imlerith was only tricky for certain skills builds. If you were sword specced, it was relatively easy (2-3 minutes) to beat him by spinning behind him as his swing animation executed.

Imlerith was only tricky for certain skills builds. If you were sword specced, it was relatively easy (2-3 minutes) to beat him by spinning behind him as his swing animation executed.
Yeah I know that, until one third of his health I mainly didn´t lose any of my health, but once he started teleporting he hit me four times and I´m down.
Maybe it´s beacuse I´m only playing Alchemy with a little bit of Magic.

After defeating him I felt quite good, as I did after I took down the caretaker. Don´t we play on Death March to actually get challenged? :)

Damn the bosses are hard!

I always play on normal because i suck at the game and I'm level 34 so I thought the bosses would be a piece of cake like in the main game (Eredin was easy as f*** on death march) but hell I was wrong!

I fought the Ophieri mage bare-chested and he was f***ing hard. He kept teleporting and I kept having to roll do dodge his sand explosion attack so I couldn't use quen. When I finally beat him it felt so good! Then after that came Olgierd, who was a sword-fighter like I enjoy fighting and he kept me on edge during the whole fight. I didn't know I could parry his charge attack so the fight was even more challenging. I had to take down the last third of his health at 500 hp, wich wasn't easy as I had to back away waiting for my stamina to regen so I could use quen yet dodging all of his attacks during that. I wonder if the next boss will be as hard as him!

Last edited:
What's your level? If you're doing the fights some level lower than recommended, it's pretty obvious why you've got so much trouble. You should have reached Level 32 or even higher at least.

Plus, the boss fights in HoS are supposed to be tough. That's one reason why a lot of people (including me) love them. The other reason is because the boss fights are "fresh", interesting and everything but boring. In fact they're all the opposite of your critics.

Really don't get what bothers you so much apart from the difficulty ...? Please try to explain, espacially because you highlighted the boss fights of the main game and I mean ... Eredin ... lol?

I fought the Ophieri mage bare-chested and he was f***ing hard.

Why didn't you just re-equip your armour? :D

But yes, the boss fights of HoS are pretty tough. The other bosses are hard as well and I like it! Still, all bosses are defeatable. ;)

Why didn't you just re-equip your armour? :D

But yes, the boss fights of HoS are pretty tough. The other bosses are hard as well and I like it! Still, all bosses are defeatable. ;)
I thought I had to get it back afterwards only to realise after beating the mage that it was in my inventory all along :smiling:

No one mentioned it here but myself, i have horrible problems with Olgeirs wife's ghost. She is dissapearing into pictures and reapering fully healed in few seconds, no idea how to beat her.

As for caretaker healing he only heals up if he hits you, and quen is your best bet here not to get hit. i used tawny oil potion and spammed quen each time he hit me, so that he couldn't heal up.

No, because you must destroy them :D
(Or kill her quickly on lower difficulty. Then you don't need to destroy the paintings )

They can be destroyed.

Last edited:
Went into hos yesterday on ng+ deathmarch with insane opponents mod installed (everything one shots geralt - at one point I had over 11k HP and still got one shoted that eldberg ghost quest on skellige was actually really Hard at this setting: pff screw wraith hit boxes).

OK I was at lvl 54 now going into hos. I killed toad prince on first try no igni just sword fast attack dps alchemy build. Just take those elixirs dodge & roll and attack at right time. Was very pretty how geralt circled around that amphibian. Took about 3 minutes. At one point I checked my stats earlier in some fight outside and had over 30k silver dps on this bad boy though (during stormy weather - that's no fluke and I made sure levity does not glitch my game).

The mage afterwards was no joke and I consider him harder or equal to olgierd. His range bs sandstorm attack at this mod level also one shots me if I get caught without quen. Anyways that took 4 tries. Basically retreat while killing his minions a bit, then coming back with axii to disable the mage and carve him up.

Most of the time I can't risk throwing bombs as any hit I take has a chance to outright kill geralt.

Last edited:
Caretaker looks like Dark Souls series boss. Switch yourself to the DS gameplay and he is enjoyable)

I finished the expansion now on ng+ deathmarch with enhanced brutal combat with insane opponents mod installed (anything can one shot Geralt basically or do over 7k damage easy to him in one hit). Did the earlier fights at lvl 54 and the last ones at lvl 66 after finishing the campaign.

The Mage fight and the Wraith were the hardest fights. 5 tries on the mage, something like 9+ on the wraith (yeah on one hit=bye bye quen, 2nd hit = game over). Caretaker, Toad and Greatest Fear? lol first try as they are slow and ai is pretty stupid on greatest fear actually, but you have to be awake as one mistake is near death and two mistakes is death. For Iris greatest fear I took out the 2 oil upgrades and used quen upgrade and fleetfooted.

Killed the wraith with this setup, and had katakan and wraith decoction active as well as oils, full moon, maribor, thunderbolt, and also blizzard, maybe one more I am forgetting, once I got to full adrenaline I could finally do some serious damage to it.

Attachments

• wraith_setup.JPG
    wraith_setup.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
[SPOILERS] Death March NG+ HoS Boss Fights are Unbalanced

Just so you know. The boss fights on Death March difficult in HoS are incredibly unbalanced.

The Toad prince was fine. Tough fight. Took a long time, no problem. And the mage was fine too.

I'm taking about the care taker and the ghost in the paintings specifically. They heal such crazy amounts of health that it took me 25 minutes to beat the caretaker and the lady in the paintings... honestly I couldn't be bothered. I just did the *killall* command. Which I typically NEVER use. But she was so cheap and I just couldn't stomache another 25 minute fight.

They just keep healing and healing and healing and healing.... I mean the caretaker has a spade that heals every time he connects a blow, and he has the ghosts. And you as the player don't do much damage on DM, I had to resort to some very cheap tacticts to beat him (basically just keep my distance and roll around the well and use rend and nothing else). And the lady in the painting... I tried to destroy the paintings but she just heals and heals and heals....

Stop with the healing bosses already, I'm level 65 and have about 3000 DPS swords with griffin armor and so forth. Fights take a long time but all this healing is really killing the fun. If both I the player and the bosses are healing we could just go at it forever it feels like.

And that caretaker spade is just ridiculous, it's pretty much the most powerful "sword" in the game. And it's *spade*.

Last edited:
Top Bottom