Hot Fix for Grave Hag

+
Hot Fix for Grave Hag

So, I've been noticing that there's an emerging superstar in the recent meta, and she is packing a consistent 20-25 value (or more) in the popular net versions of Monster Consume. It's fine, the strength doesn't bother me, even though she is vastly superior than gold cards of like abilities (I'm looking at you, Bloody Baron), and superior in Round 3 than virtually every other silver. She's almost an auto-win if the player has card advantage.

Therefore, rather than nerf her to the ground by capping her consumption, or increasing her timer, I'm making a simple proposition. Take away her agility. Give people without card advantage a chance. You would still need to be terribly lucky, even if you did know where she was going to be placed, and time a weather spell or a cow carcass at just the right moment, but at least you would have a swing at the pitch, rather than not being able to take the bat off your shoulder.

I don't think it's an unreasonable change, to be honest.

Just for idea, what about give her 2 turns to trigger, and 3 strength.
So this make it so you can't just play her on the last card, but 2nd to last card, which gives about 2 turns to counter.

Yeah I think that is reasonable change considering how big swing it can generate in r3. Also I think game could use less agile units now when weather is changed.

Swarm Monsters is better then Consume Monsters right now so I honestly don't even use that card atm, tried it with swarm not good enough for me. 25 power is not that great when you consider how easily that card can be destroyed almost anything can 1 shot that before it's ability procs and if it's destroyed then it is worth zero points. Seems to be that you are pretty much required to run a Frightener to even have a chance of playing this card last, so that they can't kill it, and by doing so your pretty much throwing a round to them. I think the biggest problem is that people can use Marching Orders pretty much guaranteeing that they will be able to use the Grave Hag as a finisher, also preventing 3 damage attacks from killing it.

Being a monster player.. consume for months now..Grave Hag is not as powerful as you think.
I made a post here right before the hotfix at how much of a disadvantage this card really is.

I know this may come off as bias ..because this is my deck of choice... but i assure you... the card needs a small buff if anything.
Yup.. a buff.

Its consumes only chance at winning a game. Take that away and the entire archetype is GONE.

First of all you have be be lucky enough to get her in hand. That in its self can prove to be a challenge. you do all this work round 1 and 2 HOPING that you get her in the 3rd if you dont..everything you have done is for absolutely NOTHING! and thats fact.

On top of that.. i would say 95% of my opponents see it coming a mile away. Its very predictable
By the chance i do manage to get her in hand .. i have MULTIPLE things working against me. Locks.A simple decoy for a lock or machine. Alzurs Thunder.... Just about anything that can remove 2 points the card is gone and youve lost and let me tell you.. she loses every single time against a player with card advantage, because they know its coming and wait for her to rear her ugly face. And 9 times out of 10... they do know shes coming ... i loose a shit ton of matches because of a lock, decoy ,machine something... its kind of ridiculous really
And i have seen many times when i do get her in hand right off the bat.. my other cards NEVER seem to be dealt right or the player stops me from building the grave yard and she is a very small number come third round.Hell there is a lot of times i just have to discard her come third hoping for something else to turn the round around..

Again.. Might be a little defensive on this subject ..
but i assure you...shes not that good as you might think she is

TheShift;n9137120 said:
First of all you have be be lucky enough to get her in hand.

While I agree with have you have said, I do want to point out that this one thing isn't actually an issue when you use Ge'els and/or Marching Orders.

4RM3D;n9137180 said:
While I agree with have you have said, I do want to point out that this one thing isn't actually an issue when you use Ge'els and/or Marching Orders.

True.. but i dont use those cards.. so it didnt occur to me :facepalm:

I use the Grave Hag in my deck. It is a strong card, but most cards in game, have its own pros and cons and counters.

Still, I feel since its mostly played at end of R3, its 1 turn trigger leave it little for counter, and might as well be a deployed ability (assume cards in hand are even, of course)
Making it 2 turn trigger won't nerf it too much (since if opponent don't have anything counterable i in hand, it doesn't matter how long it triggers), butI think it would still add some extra palm sweats to the playing player.

Well i have said all i want to say on the subject.
Im not saying an extra timer would be a bad thing but only "IF" the devs look at the raw data and think its even necessary
I think the data would show,just out of my own experience...
(since consume came about in closed beta)
< that like you said has pros and cons just like every card in this game >
Its fine as is

ofcourse being somewhat bias.. id like a buff please lol

TheShift;n9137370 said:
Well i have said all i want to say on the subject.
Im not saying an extra timer would be a bad thing but only "IF" the devs look at the raw data and think its even necessary
I think the data would show,just out of my own experience...
(since consume came about in closed beta)
< that like you said has pros and cons just like every card in this game >
Its fine as is

ofcourse being somewhat bias.. id like a buff please lol

Bro, a buff would be ridiculous. That card is too good if anything. It's value rivals gold cards for crying out loud. People who use it work hard for card advantage and if they get it then it's impossible to keep it from going off. Either the value it generates needs a cap or it needs a longer timer. Whatever the devs want to do to balance it is fine with me.

I disagree completely. Gravehag is fine as it stands. At two base power virtually any control unit can stop the ability from going off at all. Even if it's pulled with Marching Orders or buffed by a stolen unit via Caretaker many control units can stop it, whether it be from killing or locking it. With all of the locks, resets and removals floating around Consume has few alternatives for taking R3. Knowing most Consume decks run GH is your first clue losing CA heading to R3, or even during R3, is probably going to cost you the game. The solution to the card is simple. Do not lose CA vs Consume going to R3 unless you have a sizeable tempo option in your back pocket. Even then it's questionable. Don't let it happen.

I used to run this card just after public beta dropped. Usually marching orders to it as last to second last card. It was alright. No one gave a shit then. Did they change something about it? Bet it still sucks using griffin to steal more cookies for it from opponents graveyard.

Give grave hag a 2 turn timer so the player can't use her as last card, but make her strengthen instead of buff. This way she'll still be vulnerable to just about anything before she consumes, and she can't be used as last card, but when she does consume, at least she's safe from reset effects and vulnerable only to scorch effects.

Currently, I don't use Grave Hag because I feel she's far too vulnerable to anything, and I really don't want to be playing for CA with consume.

On a side note, TheShift , I definitely disagree that she's needed for consume to work and that the archetype can't win without her. Strongly disagree, actually ^^ on the other hand, I actually agree the card needs a buff, but I also agree she needs a nerf, so yeah. I feel she's far too volatile and can give far too much value as a last turn card.

StrykerxS77x;n9137750 said:
My bad. Are you not a guy?

Ok..I'll leave gender jokes out of here.I had a couple but let's say ...I don't feel like getting strong Armed 8)

I was a guy last time I checked

Skryba86 I guess that was also the wrong phrasing

The way I like to play consume...would kill it.
and anyone else using the hag. She should be unscathed and left as is. If players can't see her coming a mile away..then I guess they deserve to get hagged.

I still say from my experience ... she's not an auto win like some 3rd round cards...
how bout those double or tripple dull blathanas?
or double or triple pirates?
or letho can also wreck you real good
bloody baron anyone?
Wheres the nerf cry for them?
oh yeah..those must be the decks you guys play ..lol

TheShift

I don't particularly want to see it nerfed. That's not what this is about. Unless you consider removing the Agility to be a nerf. She's not a gold card. She doesn't need THAT MUCH versatility.

TheShift;n9137900 said:
I still say from my experience ... she's not an auto win like some 3rd round cards...
how bout those double or tripple dull blathanas?
or double or triple pirates?
or letho can also wreck you real good
bloody baron anyone?
Wheres the nerf cry for them?
oh yeah..those must be the decks you guys play ..lol

You can't play more than one DBP in the last turn so you have much more of a chance to counter them even if you don't have the last play. Same goes for pirates.

Comparing this silver card to gold cards is a great example of how it's over powered and what's funny is hag generally gets more value than golds.

I realize what you were getting at.

I was inserting an opinion before the topic turned into a nerf hunt.

And that I think it's fine as is..with an explanation

I wanted out of this thread 3 posts ago 8)

Top Bottom