Hot Fix for Grave Hag

+
SkippyHole;n9336781 said:
The comparison is that it's a round 3 finisher, pretty much your win con like those other cards can be. And the fact that its silver instead of gold is a big plus, means you can counter. But you are right, they aren't the best comparison. Perhaps a better one is Queensguard. Round 3, last card res can easily be 30+ strength in one turn, from a bronze card. Base strength as well, so much harder to counter. Both are the finishers for their decks, both can fit in multiple decks but require a strategy built around them to work. As such, I'd say 2 turn timer and Grave Hag is fine.

QG is very strong but it does have counters that can happen throughout the match as opposed to the very last play. It also only starts at 12 strength so you have to buff it throughout the match including with your leader.

Adding another turn to the timer might be the right solution.

The biggest irritant with GH is the coinflip. It can be hard to ensure R3 CA if you are forced to go first, particularly if you lose R1, vs Consume. No R3 CA typically ensures a non-counterable GH.

Grave Hag is a combo card, meaning you need to play out a (long) combo before she gets strong. There are two things you need to be able to play this card successfully:
1) Having card advantage in the final round (or the opponent not having a counter card)
2) Having played out your consume archetype with the Arachas successfully.

Meeting those requirements isn't always easy. Grave Hag is not the issue, but rather the archetype that supports it.

The same can be said for Bloody Baron. He works in a similar fashion that he requires an archetype to support him. In this case, trying to destroy as many units as possible. When the Baron is faced against swarm decks, he can become very strong. However, if the opponent only plays a few units, the Baron loses strength quickly.

Both Bloody Baron and Grave Hag are game finishers and both need to have played out their supporting archetype successfully. And when those two opponents do happen to meet, Baron usually wins.

premiumlagerbeer;n9336851 said:
Give her a 2 turn counter and she's fine. But as is it's game over if you go into round 3 against Consume without card advantage.

Skryba86;n9337241 said:
Grave hag with a 2 turn counter needs a bigger base body, so it doesn't just die to everything that touches it, IMO.

If you're going to make her take 2 turns I'd say the fairest thing to do would be to have her eat half the graveyard after one turn and the other half after the second. It's kinda silly to have a finisher be so ridiculously vulnerable. If you make her 2 turns with 2 body she can be taken out by any of the weather effects if she's alone on that rank. And she isn't even agile!

She actually is agile, though. But the point still stands. With a 2 turn timer she'll be worthless. I'd rather her simply get reworked than that. How about 2 turn timer: consume a random unit from the GY and restart the counter? Base body 6. Not a finisher anymore, but pretty strong card if you ask me, and another generator of consume triggers. Maybe that' d be too strong, though, would need proper testing obviously ^^

It's true actually, a 2 turn timer would be too big a nerf without reworking the card. But it's a pretty griefy card right now. You know it's coming, and if you didn't draw the right cards to shut down the Behemoths in round 1 (and sometimes later rounds), you basically need both card advantage and a lock or attacking unit that can handle 2-4 power in one shot. Maybe buff her strength and put a limit on the number of units she can eat? This way, she could be used as a powerful finisher, but also could be used in earlier rounds if need be to swing the round.

There is also another less obvious issue with Grave Hag. While most players want to use her as late as possible because of her strength scaling, they cannot use her earlier even if they wanted to. She'll get sniped instantly, with the only exception being when the opponent has already passed.

It is cool that you can stop this card but remember that even if you have same number of cards, it is only matter of who begin last round. If your enemy start round then you are person who put last card, you can pull GH as your last card > enemy passed > GH devour 20 points > you pass.

Again, as I have said numerous times in this thread, I think removing Agility would be all that is required. Then, you can drop a Frost on the row you know she is going to be on, and if they don't have Harpy Eggs on it, then you negate her play, even if the opponent has CA.

@frbfree

And then everybody will play her via Marching Orders. Though I think it will be fair to "lock" her on the Siege row, perhaps.

But I pretty much think the card is fine as it is. You just have to play with the CA.

partci;n9340271 said:
And then everybody will play her via Marching Orders.

Heh, that reminds me of that one time I was faced against Axemen with my Grave Hag. I didn't have CA and I knew my Hag would get sniped, fortunately the opponent's Lacerate wasn't enough. Lucky! Besides, most players would properly already use Marching Orders regardless to get a better shot at getting their only win condition.

frbfree;n9340171 said:
Again, as I have said numerous times in this thread, I think removing Agility would be all that is required. Then, you can drop a Frost on the row you know she is going to be on, and if they don't have Harpy Eggs on it, then you negate her play, even if the opponent has CA.

Abilities trigger before weather ticks. It would make 0 difference, unless this was changed as well, and she was made an exception to that rule.

StrykerxS77x;n9337541 said:
None of those are comparable.

and i've lost more times to any of them than to grave hags. if you don't know how to properly counter a card, don't blame the card for being OP.

Skryba86;n9340301 said:
Abilities trigger before weather ticks. It would make 0 difference, unless this was changed as well, and she was made an exception to that rule.

Vran Warrior also triggers before weather. Speaking of which...

Fun fact: Grave Hag triggers before Vran Warrior. I had a game where I had a Behemoth out and a Vran Warrior. I played the Hag next to the Warrior and the Hag consumed the graveyard first, then the Warrior consumed the Hag for an extra 2 strength of the Arachas. Not that I needed it, but it could have been the difference between victory and defeat.

Most probably all the spawns will be tokens next patch (according to rumors) so she will not be that big anymore.

RickMelethron;n9340341 said:
and i've lost more times to any of them than to grave hags. if you don't know how to properly counter a card, don't blame the card for being OP.

Who said that I don't know? Of course I know. It's counters just aren't enough especially when it's always played very last and losing the coin flip make it that much harder. I don't think it makes sense how much value that one silver can generate.

TheShift;n9137120 said:
Being a monster player.. consume for months now..Grave Hag is not as powerful as you think.
I made a post here right before the hotfix at how much of a disadvantage this card really is.

I know this may come off as bias ..because this is my deck of choice... but i assure you... the card needs a small buff if anything.
Yup.. a buff.

Its consumes only chance at winning a game. Take that away and the entire archetype is GONE.

First of all you have be be lucky enough to get her in hand. That in its self can prove to be a challenge. you do all this work round 1 and 2 HOPING that you get her in the 3rd if you dont..everything you have done is for absolutely NOTHING! and thats fact.

On top of that.. i would say 95% of my opponents see it coming a mile away. Its very predictable
By the chance i do manage to get her in hand .. i have MULTIPLE things working against me. Locks.A simple decoy for a lock or machine. Alzurs Thunder.... Just about anything that can remove 2 points the card is gone and youve lost and let me tell you.. she loses every single time against a player with card advantage, because they know its coming and wait for her to rear her ugly face. And 9 times out of 10... they do know shes coming ... i loose a shit ton of matches because of a lock, decoy ,machine something... its kind of ridiculous really
And i have seen many times when i do get her in hand right off the bat.. my other cards NEVER seem to be dealt right or the player stops me from building the grave yard and she is a very small number come third round.Hell there is a lot of times i just have to discard her come third hoping for something else to turn the round around..

Again.. Might be a little defensive on this subject ..
but i assure you...shes not that good as you might think she is

Being a consume Monster faction player for the past 4 weeks...i Completely Agree with you

Top Bottom