[Hot Take Feedback] Main story way too short

+
Been having a ball despite the game feeling kinda half done. The one thing I can't really get over is how short the campaign is. It's too damn short. In my 50ish hours I've spent maybe 15? (I'm almost certain it's less) of those on the main quest.

There's so much to do in Night City when it comes to random crimes/hideouts/sidemissions/gigs. In *casually* focusing on these and not the main campaign I've grown to a level where even on very hard the main campaign poses very little challenge. I thought I was a third of the way through the game and the campaign would be longer/get more difficult, but apparently I'm on the last mission. There's like effing 12 story missions, wtf?

Whoever looked at the witcher 3's data and said "Hmm people aren't finishing the game, must be too long. Let's make cyberpunk shorter cuz its what people want" was flat out wrong and shouldn't be making such decisions.

I wont get my hopes up, but it would be great if the DLC/expansions full on expanded the main story. Maybe turn the acts into chapters and add like ten more (I'm exaggerating, but you catch my drift).

PS: please no spoilers, I'm holding off on the final mission until I've squeezed more juice out of the city. Just wish I could turn off my quest tracker now.

Yes I wish I could turn the Quest Tracker off...

I pretty much just got to Act 2 and for 76 hours I have done nothing else expect explore, side quests and just leveling up... having a ton of fun without doing the main quests

when I get bored I will do some more story missions, I am just glad that we are not forced into main story progression

Good to know there are 12 main quests lol.... I have been worried about going to far to a point of no return....

I wish the Main story was the final story DLC as it doesnt not mesh with the game at all or they could make a suttle change and have Vik say you got a year to live, but for him to say a couple weeks ruins it for me.

Good to know there are 12 main quests lol.... I have been worried about going to far to a point of no return....

Oh to be clear it *felt* like 12 missions, I honestly didn't keep track. Top of my head I recall maybe half a dozen major main events, maybe a few missions apiece?

I agree, the main story is just too short, I was really sad about that. I first completed all of the side quests and then the main story and noticed just one more option was added in the last mission. And also so much of the city was just unused... I like the game anyway, I am playing it again but... I expected more... probably because it was overhyped and I expected something as good as the Witcher but it just did not have the same effect for me.

but for him to say a couple weeks ruins it for me.

Vik says "a few weeks".
I thought during my first run it could mean 3 to 5/6 weeks but, in the meantime, he can't really know how much time is left to V, so maybe he wanted V not to expect to grow old and die of age...

yea its a bit short but I believe that side missions are important in this game, i don't like the fact that you will only complete this mission with Johnny in your mind

Been having a ball despite the game feeling kinda half done. The one thing I can't really get over is how short the campaign is. It's too damn short. In my 50ish hours I've spent maybe 15? (I'm almost certain it's less) of those on the main quest.

There's so much to do in Night City when it comes to random crimes/hideouts/sidemissions/gigs. In *casually* focusing on these and not the main campaign I've grown to a level where even on very hard the main campaign poses very little challenge. I thought I was a third of the way through the game and the campaign would be longer/get more difficult, but apparently I'm on the last mission. There's like effing 12 story missions, wtf?

Whoever looked at the witcher 3's data and said "Hmm people aren't finishing the game, must be too long. Let's make cyberpunk shorter cuz its what people want" was flat out wrong and shouldn't be making such decisions.

I wont get my hopes up, but it would be great if the DLC/expansions full on expanded the main story. Maybe turn the acts into chapters and add like ten more (I'm exaggerating, but you catch my drift).

PS: please no spoilers, I'm holding off on the final mission until I've squeezed more juice out of the city. Just wish I could turn off my quest tracker now.

So true.

While the main story on it's own is quite short, I feel the side character job chains supplement it super well. The progression of all the substories feels really natural piggybacking off the character arcs from the main plot. For example, when your finish Tapeworm, you access an entire Johnny subplot. Then, from there, you get Kerry's story. To take it even further, you unlock an additional side job with Blue Moon.

In addition, doing a couple of these is the only way to obtain certain endings.

Like somebody said earlier, my biggest problem is that Vik gives you only two weeks to live. There's no way a single person could do all that in the given amount of time, especially when most of the missions can only be started at a specific time of day lol. It would be more reasonable if he said six months to a year. Or have a one off line where Johnny says he can actively suppress himself a bit to give you more time.

On the other end of the isle, you got game urinealists complaining when a game is too long or too hard, because their job requires them to finish a game and post an "article" before they can get back to political activism on Twitter..
So in a compromise, we got a "short" main story that can be burned through relatively quickly, with a lot of optional side/gig/random quest padding.
Personally, I too would prefer a longer, and more focused main mission.

I feel the same as the OP. I almost finished the main so quickly that I had to stop doing it right before Embers just to fill out the character more. Sort of broke the immersion a bit. Seems like the Main story could be drawn out longer until you're closer to fifty or have completed a set number of quests etc. Maybe start the main slightly later?

Top Bottom