Hotfix 3.0.1 is live!

+
Not impressed with the fixes. Philippa Eilhart is still too strong, immediate seize is just not balanced.
Vattier is 11 provision and Philippa is 10.
Vattier has to wait a round before using the ability and Philippa doesn't.

It is nearly impossible to counter Philippa's ability, with Vattier, you can take him out before he activates the ability. Instead with Philippa, with Tax collector and other methods that generate coins steadily, it is almost always guaranteed to seize a unit with 7 power.

I don't really know what developers think about this card, it has become an auto include in all Syndicate deck.

Here is my suggestion: make Philippa 11 provision cost, unit power 5, instead of seizing on deploy, Philippa will use order+payment to activate the ability.

I would be glad to hear what other people think.

Not impressed with the fixes. Philippa Eilhart is still too strong, immediate seize is just not balanced.
Vattier is 11 provision and Philippa is 10.
Vattier has to wait a round before using the ability and Philippa doesn't.

It is nearly impossible to counter Philippa's ability, with Vattier, you can take him out before he activates the ability. Instead with Philippa, with Tax collector and other methods that generate coins steadily, it is almost always guaranteed to seize a unit with 7 power.

I don't really know what developers think about this card, it has become an auto include in all Syndicate deck.

Here is my suggestion: make Philippa 11 provision cost, unit power 5, instead of seizing on deploy, Philippa will use order+payment to activate the ability.

I would be glad to hear what other people think.
Totally agree. Another solution is make her power "half of coins"

I still haven't played enough games post patch to judge but my feeling is that she is a bit too strong.

People defending her tend to think of her as a pile of stats, which is not true. She can steal engines, order units and wreak your game, even though the cost benefit analysis show she did not "break even".

On that simplistic view, my buddy Sweers never breaks even and is a horrible card.

I think these endless nerfs without full refunds are very bad for the game. All the gamers who started before homecoming have enough scraps and don't care about the nerfs, but for beginners it must be a nightmare. They buy some kegs and craft one or two legendary cards to have a change to cope with others and then one week later the cards are nerfed and they will not get a full refund. Do you think they will repeat this process?
I really would like to know how many new people are joining Gwent and staying.

This patch does very, very little. That's probably why it was mentioned last in the latest TWIG, like some unimportant thing. Is there even a small excuse for releasing such an unbalanced, apparently badly tested expansion, with premium cards that are not premium? Patching or nerfing cards will not fix the main problem of the coin mechanic. Hoarding loads of untouchable points is a bad concept which is the cause of making these cards OP. If hoarding coins was not possible, most of these cards would be fine. On top of that, hoarding loads of untouchable points is unfun for the opponent. It's time to properly recognize that mistakes were made and do some major changing and fixing.

This patch does very, very little. That's probably why it was mentioned last in the latest TWIG, like some unimportant thing. Is there even a small excuse for releasing such an unbalanced, apparently badly tested expansion, with premium cards that are not premium? Patching or nerfing cards will not fix the main problem of the coin mechanic. Hoarding loads of untouchable points is a bad concept which is the cause of making these cards OP. If hoarding coins was not possible, most of these cards would be fine. On top of that, hoarding loads of untouchable points is unfun for the opponent. It's time to properly recognize that mistakes were made and do some major changing and fixing.
I see it similar. The core of the issues is the coin mechanic. The opponent can only watch what is coming but can't do anything against it. I was sceptical when I heard that the new pack will be SY only cards (amateurishly thinking "they have new mechanics, but other factions don't get cards to counter them?"), and now we are exactly at the point I feared. A totally broken mechanic that won't be taken down, but instead it's seriously considered to somehow strengthen the other factions, who weren't balanced as well. The fiasco arising from that will probably break Gwent's neck.

I would rather want them to remove SY completely (all our transactions are in the databse so no worries about the cards owned), and re-work that faction without ruffle or excitement, while the cards are not live.

This was balancing patch ?!
Sorry I didn't noticed it hah.....

SY still can put in their deck all cards + Renew and Decree.....
SY still can wait half game without putting units, gather coins and then clear opponent cards.....
SY still have their bronze and gold ''machine guns'' for 15+ points per turn without any problem....
SY still have so much thinning + they have option to place card on the bottom of the deck and even get coins for that.....
SY is still so broken and you guys thought that adding 1 provision to few cards will solve problem ?
:facepalm:

DRK3

Forum veteran
True, now after playing quite a bit after the hotfix, its easy to notice Syndicate is still very overpowered. I see Freakshow less often now, but bounties and Borsodi bros are still in over half of SY decks, Philippa and Sigi are also in way too many decks.

CDPR didnt take this 'SY is OP and needs a nerf' seriously. Making some rough estimates here, but if the average power of other factions is 100%, SY was 150%, now after hotfix it's 140%, still unnaceptable...

I see Freakshow less often now, but bounties and Borsodi bros are still in over half of SY decks, Philippa and Sigi are also in way too many decks.

Sorry but what kind of argument is that? I can see Botchling or Ves in all NR decks, I can see Sweers in all NG decks, I can see Milaen in all ST decks and so on....

CDPR didnt take this 'SY is OP and needs a nerf' seriously. Making some rough estimates here, but if the average power of other factions is 100%, SY was 150%, now after hotfix it's 140%, still unnaceptable...

CDPR clearly stated there will be other adjustments at the end of the month. There is only so much one hotfix can do without causing more harm than fixing.
Post automatically merged:

SY still can put in their deck all cards + Renew and Decree.....

Exaggeration and false one on the top of that. You can use Decree or Renew + key card in all faction. SK do it a lot.

SY still can wait half game without putting units, gather coins and then clear opponent cards.....

There is only so much you can do with 9 coins. You cannot do one-turn bounty machine gun any more.

SY still have their bronze and gold ''machine guns'' for 15+ points per turn without any problem....

So you´re saying other factions haven´t 15+ point swings?!

SY still have so much thinning + they have option to place card on the bottom of the deck and even get coins for that.....

So zero tempo bronze card is the problem now? NG do this better if you didn´t noticed. And regarding thinning, Novigradians still have to visit Skellige to learn how to do it properly. :)

SY is still so broken and you guys thought that adding 1 provision to few cards will solve problem ?

Judging by the apparent reduction of KoB decks appearances, I think it at least mitigated the problem if not directly solved it. SY deck are quite beatable now with other factions.

And yes, adjusting power or provision cost is exactly how the balancing should work. But I suppose you´re having problem with the core mechanic (coins), aren´t you? Why? It´s just another kind of point distribution. You need a setup for coins having any value.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion: Honestly i think a lot of people are delusional when it comes to SY. It's not op at all imo. Freakshow was op and got nerved hard. Other ''autoinclude'' cards like the borsody brothers and sigi reuven have been nerved as well. You already had to make deck building sacrifices to include sigi reuven in the first place. If you can't do something about the potential coin engines then of course you will have a hard time winning but thats the same case with every other faction. Destroying engines is always key.
Now people are saying the coin mechanic is op because your opponent can't interact with them. Well what about scoia'tael who can buff cards on their hands even immune ones? Always fun when your opponent plays 2 buffed immune engines in the last round. How is that so differant from the coins? (Btw yesterday i played like 15-20 games in ranked and at least 80% of them were against scoia'tael. Weird considering SY is so unbeatable….) ST also has great finisher cards (like that great oak card). Also francesca spamming both your rows with ragnarok wich is basically a safe win if you don't have a way to clear it. Always fun and so balanced...And lets not even start talking about SK. I do believe NR and NG have a very hard time against SY just like they have against ST and SK who are just fine if not better then SY imo.
I'm a Nilfgaard main and always will be but i'm also having a lot of fun with SY right now which could be the first faction that really interests me outside of NG and like i said i feel like poeple are overexaggerating how strong SY is especially compared to ST and SK.

Unpopular opinion: Honestly i think a lot of people are delusional when it comes to SY. It's not op at all imo. Freakshow was op and got nerved hard. Other ''autoinclude'' cards like the borsody brothers and sigi reuven have been nerved as well. You already had to make deck building sacrifices to include sigi reuven in the first place. If you can't do something about the potential coin engines then of course you will have a hard time winning but thats the same case with every other faction. Destroying engines is always key.
Now people are saying the coin mechanic is op because your opponent can't interact with them. Well what about scoia'tael who can buff cards on their hands even immune ones? Always fun when your opponent plays 2 buffed immune engines in the last round. How is that so differant from the coins? (Btw yesterday i played like 15-20 games in ranked and at least 80% of them were against scoia'tael. Weird considering SY is so unbeatable….) ST also has great finisher cards (like that great oak card). Also francesca spamming both your rows with ragnarok wich is basically a safe win if you don't have a way to clear it. Always fun and so balanced...And lets not even start talking about SK. I do believe NR and NG have a very hard time against SY just like they have against ST and SK who are just fine if not better then SY imo.
I'm a Nilfgaard main and always will be but i'm also having a lot of fun with SY right now which could be the first faction that really interests me outside of NG and like i said i feel like poeple are overexaggerating how strong SY is especially compared to ST and SK.
Cards buffed in hand have to be put on the board. Coins can be used on whatever card you wish, thus reacting directly to your opponent without any worries. 2 buffed immune engines in the last round? Never seen it yet. But it's funny that you think, immunity (which can be outplayed with indirect damage) would be somehow equal to coins.

Ask your self one simple question. Would you have as much fun with SY without coin mechanic and struggling to keep a 50% win rate? If the answer is yes, you're lying. If the answer is no, you see the issue.

Cards buffed in hand have to be put on the board. Coins can be used on whatever card you wish, thus reacting directly to your opponent without any worries. 2 buffed immune engines in the last round? Never seen it yet. But it's funny that you think, immunity (which can be outplayed with indirect damage) would be somehow equal to coins.

Ask your self one simple question. Would you have as much fun with SY without coin mechanic and struggling to keep a 50% win rate? If the answer is yes, you're lying. If the answer is no, you see the issue.

But you can choose when to play the buffed cards and since you can only hold 9 coins at the same time you are forced to spent them at some point if you don't want to lose coins so your argument is not that good at all. And having 2 buffed immune engines is not rare. It happens a lot and is easy to do and just because you havn't seen it (hard to belive) doesn't take anything away from my argument. Yes you can interact with immune cards in some ways but being able to buff them on your hand is still really strong and no other faction can do that. Most decks actually don't have any means to damage immune cards so that argument is weak as well. Being able to buff cards on your hand and playing them whenever you want or generating coints and using them whenever you want is not that different imo. You also didn't address some of my other points like fransesca and raganarok. All i hear from you is the same hating for the sake of hating

These are a good start but I don't think will be enough. Freakshow needs a complete rework as early game can still remove whatever I play, even an immune unit now. Phillipa needed changed as well, remove all coins steal and lock a 5 pt unit. This card should be playing for Northern realms not destroying its engines.

But you can choose when to play the buffed cards and since you can only hold 9 coins at the same time you are forced to spent them at some point if you don't want to lose coins so your argument is not that good at all. And having 2 buffed immune engines is not rare. It happens a lot and is easy to do and just because you havn't seen it (hard to belive) doesn't take anything away from my argument. Yes you can interact with immune cards in some ways but being able to buff them on your hand is still really strong and no other faction can do that. Most decks actually don't have any means to damage immune cards so that argument is weak as well. Being able to buff cards on your hand and playing them whenever you want or generating coints and using them whenever you want is not that different imo. You also didn't address some of my other points like fransesca and raganarok. All i hear from you is the same hating for the sake of hating
Please don't interpret. I was about to answer this quote until I read the last line. So you're obviously biased and don't really want to discuss anything. You're just waiting for affirmation, which you won't get much of for a broken faction. It starts with you not being able to see that it's broken, which even CDPR sees. However, as interesting as this could have been, this is my last answer to you. Sadly.

Please don't interpret. I was about to answer this quote until I read the last line. So you're obviously biased and don't really want to discuss anything. You're just waiting for affirmation, which you won't get much of for a broken faction. It starts with you not being able to see that it's broken, which even CDPR sees. However, as interesting as this could have been, this is my last answer to you. Sadly.

Dude pls read your own comment. You didn't bring up any valid Arguments and didn't explain anything. All you said was basically ''you are wrong, i am right and if you disagree you are lying''. Yet i'm the one that doesn't want to discuss? Now thats funny. No GG from me. Bye

These are a good start but I don't think will be enough. Freakshow needs a complete rework as early game can still remove whatever I play, even an immune unit now. Phillipa needed changed as well, remove all coins steal and lock a 5 pt unit. This card should be playing for Northern realms not destroying its engines.

So how exactly is freakshow still a problem? It's a 5 for 6. Yes it can destroy a 4 Point engine if it is the only card on the field but that is very easy to avoid. Just play something else before your engine. And even then whats the big deal? There are many ways to get rid of a 4 point engine. It's not like freakshow is the only card that can do that. Of course freakshow is still a strong combo with the healing card but there are many other strong combos in the game. He is not immune so you can lock him or destroy him or steal him….i really don't understand the issue. Philippa i can kinda agree. I think she should lock the unit she steals. That would still be good enough. Otherwise her provisions should be a lot higher like maybe 12 or 13. Then again Sweers exists who can steal a 3 Point engine with 0 setup while with philippa you have to get the coins first. But i'm 100% sure that she will get nerved very soon. What i'm trying to say is that SY as a whole is not op. A few cards like Philippa might be op but thats not surprising. Out of over 90 new cards a few of them had to be op. On the other hand a lot of the crimson curse SK cards are op and still didn 't get nerved. SK has so many good autoinclude cards...

Last edited:
Dude pls read your own comment. You didn't bring up any valid Arguments and didn't explain anything. All you said was basically ''you are wrong, i am right and if you disagree you are lying''. Yet i'm the one that doesn't want to discuss? Now thats funny. No GG from me. Bye

So how exactly is freakshow still a problem? It's a 5 for 6. Yes it can destroy a 4 Point engine if it is the only card on the field but that is very easy to avoid. Just play something else before your engine. And even then whats the big deal? There are many ways to get rid of a 4 point engine. It's not like freakshow is the only card that can do that. Of course freakshow is still a strong combo with the healing card but there are many other strong combos in the game. He is not immune so you can lock him or destroy him or steal him….i really don't understand the issue. Philippa i can kinda agree. I think she should lock the unit she steals. That would still be good enough. Otherwise her provisions should be a lot higher like maybe 12 or 13. Then again Sweers exists who can steal a 3 Point engine with 0 setup while with philippa you have to get the coins first. But i'm 100% sure that she will get nerved very soon. What i'm trying to say is that SY as a whole is not op. A few cards like Philippa might be op but thats not surprising. Out of over 90 new cards a few of them had to be op. On the other hand a lot of the crimson curse SK cards are op and still didn 't get nerved. SK has so many good autoinclude cards...
Remove insanity from it

Still think one of the best fix would just be to remove the implied "zeal" on "fee" abilities. Give them one turn to be activable, like orders, and the automatic instant value that most SY cards can get after piling up coins can be countered.

With that in mind, 1 turn to activate, here's my humble opinion on fee cards and a couple others (and I apologize for writing a wall)

Igor: Leave him like that or give him zeal with a cooldown so he can either be removed, or not able to produce 3 copies in a single turn. I know, we don't see him that much but I think it's just because he's not been given the attention yet. Hard to compare it to other cards, like Adalia, since he only summons but still...

Sausage maker: he's fair, give him zeal

Helveed: zeal + reduce his profit to 2 or don't give him zeal. Again, a difficult comparison but Water of Brokylon is 11p for 8 points. Helveld is 10 provisions for 8 points. Ok, the dryads have harmony but Helveed synergizes with all the spawn engines and always gives more value.

Philippa could just detroy a card with power equal to coins. Like that she wouldn't be an instant win against decks relying on a couple key cards (and I know, that's the risk, but when seized you can use renew on it, and contrary to muzzle or the NG cards, you can't play around and can't steal it back. She's too strong). She'd be a mix of Cleaver and Geralt but as a faction specific card, still more polyvalent (not affected by shield, usable any time in a round)

Moreelse should be 10 provisions. 4 power, 4 damage, like Ifrit and Regis, but with tribute as add-up to faction specific. Why 9 here?

Doadrick: I love him but he should have a cooldown of 2. Being able to switch a card/turn is incredibly strong and has somehow gone under-exploited until now

The Borsodis: without zeal, they'd be ok. Just imagine Johnny and Sarah with zeal. They would be strong... Other comparison with unicorn/chironex. U/C give you 7 point with the first, then 10 with the second IF the first is still in play. Borsodis bros: 6 and 8 points, but you don't need to have one alive to have the other's benefit AND they are both 1 provision less AND they also give added value over time as engines.

Kalkstein is an amazing card and I don't think it needs to be nerved, but compare it to Ceallach. 2 more power and you can use him anytime later on. Ceallach purifies more than one, yes, but how often is it used? He's a spring equinox with 3 power that can't purify ennemies! Either remove Kalkstein's zeal (which I don't think is needed) or buff Ceallach somehow

The 6 provisions cards are really good and imo pretty balanced. Love the tunnel drill which would need zeal.

Endrega, blacksmith naturalist, executionner, sea jackal, seductress, eternal fire disciple: I'm not gonna re-compare them to other faction's bronzes but they are better. No zeal. They'll still be better.

Special mention to renegade mage, who for some reason does the same as the 3 damages for 1 easy condition 3 point cards in every other faction (wild hunt hound, nauzicaa brigade, lyrian landsknecht, wardancer... with 1 less provision :shrug:

And thanks for reading

@ AmiboshiMK

You failed on so much levels and even in reading what I wrote so I wonder what game you playing, but lets do this step by step.....

1-I said both Renew and Decree, SK never used BOTH of them in decks and rarely even one (facepalm)
2-Of course you can do one turn machine gun with SY, try to calculate better (facepalm)
3-Yes no other faction can do 15+ points PER TURN (facepalm)
4-SK have better thinning then SY ?! (facepalm)
5-Indeed SY not dominating in wins and ladder, other factions does (facepalm)
6-Indeed, to get and setup coins for SY faction you need huge luck and IQ 300 at least, really guys you suffer more then NR players (facepalm)
7-No, balancing should not work with -/+ provision only (facepalm)

All in all I love when netdeckers who care only about easy wins try to explain me how wrong I am, they don't know even basic things in Gwent but that is fine, I am just a noob with only 3000+ hours in game....
:facepalm:

Top Bottom