Hotfix 7.0.2 is now available!

+

Guest 4368268

Haven't been playing ranked since day 2/3 of the patch, but any streamer I watched ofc faced SK at a silly rate with equally silly results. It's a good thing second wind in particular has got nerfed like this. Just look at the point-swings it provides in a GS list. There'll always be a deck significantly more powerful than most other ones, but you don't want that to be a 'pilot-in-your-sleep' midrange one that cannot be efficiently disrupted with any orthodox deck.

The Ethereal change could and should have been 8>10 provisions. He'll still be slotted in most competitive Monsters decks cause why not? He's not committal enough in your provision slots. So that's how they'd solve that. Oh well, at the end of the month, maybe. From what I can tell Blood Eagle was also a big offender here and looking at the 8p Skellige warriors it's no surprise. SK still has good options in the 7, 6 and even 5 provision slots anyway. So this change just changes the cards' status from busted to great.

That's not a nerf, that's a murder, instead of killing factions because of the meta what about being able to blacklist a faction ? like for the opens, that would be interesting and balance the game, not doing patch like thisofc SK was verry powerfull against NR or ST but NG and MO were verry able to defeat them before this hotfix... I play this game since the beta and like many others I quit when HC cames out, just trying a game or 2 like twice a month, that was the first expansion that made me glad to be back once again and now... well.... I just wanna leave, once again.... disgusting

Yea some of the new warrior cards needed attention but I think some of you are missing the point.
Second wind as a leader is problematic. Not just for warrior decks but overall. The ability to rez any unit you want provides more value and utility than other leaders. That's why they felt it was necessary to adjust it's provisions.

Last edited:
It is a good start^^. I can't understand why they don't involve the pro players more. A nerf to SW was well deserfed but 11p is a real killer for every nonmeta aproach. Adjusting keycards would be the option. Take a closer look at the conditions of Veteran (should not trigger in graveyard) and the big swingers like Boar, Morkwark. Opressive engines and damage dealing warriors aswell as Waters oB. It's not grate to kill a keycard but allways better then a leader or a whole archetype.

edit: condition for Veteran

Last edited:
I would like to think that they the are trying, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like it when reading these hotfix notes. Just wanting to point out that the "nerf" makes no difference. All problems that existed before still remain: 1. Second wind, 2. leader+Harald and 3. Greatswords ability as it is.

1. Second wind can still play any high end card a second time, letting the player take two separate rounds with the same card.
2. Harald can still be ressed if killed, effectively making him the only engine in the game that you "cannot" kill unless leader has been used.
3. Greatswords are poorly designed and should not be able to be comboed with second wind with the current state of the leader ability, so using things like morkvarg, wild boar or hemdall.

These powerful cards are designed to be used once, for a good reason.

Just a note: I've been a Skellige main since closed beta and I still do think the above issues needs fixing.

Harald giving the ressed unit doomed is okay, but makes no difference. Tyrggvis power change is okay, but makes no difference. Blood eagles provision change is meh AND makes no difference. Reducing the leaders provision however effectively limits it's usage with other decks while not fixing the issue at hand.

I have always been positive towards the developers decisions but unless this hotfix is something very temporary, this is the laziest "nerf" I've seen in ages. Changing power and provisions is not the answer, so please dig a bit deeper.

Guest 4404014

Balancing SK: 15% complete

Blood eagles provision change is meh AND makes no difference.

It kinda makes a little difference. You can't eagle up a Skjordal for 7p engine removal in the beginning of R3. But I agree. Outside the provision nerf none of these changes don't make much of a difference. SK is still broken af. In comparison, they destroyed a whole concept of harmony in one sweep and no scruples. Harmony was op, yes, but it was never even close to SK brokenness. And here they are taking these tip-toe little steps... But hopefully they will keep going.

Last edited by a moderator:
It kinda makes a little difference. You can't eagle up a Skjordal for 7p engine removal in the beginning of R3.

Aye, you are correct in this.
Also the "change" to Ethereal didn't matter. Currently there is no other decks on the Pro rank. The problem here, again, was NOT the provisions but the fact that the card cannot be interacted with since the effect is immediate. Unless you play ST and Pitfall Trap :p

So yeah, a hotfix that didn't make sense not to mention that it would have fixed anything.

We’ve just launched Hotfix 7.0.2 on all platforms! With this quick fix we’re addressing the overall dominance of Skellige after update 7.0.

List of changes:
  • Second Wind provision bonus has been changed from 14 to 11.
  • Harald an Craite will now give Doomed to a resurrected unit (this change will not be reflected in the tooltip until update 7.1).
  • Tyrggvi power has been changed from 5 to 4.
  • Blood Eagle now lets you play a Warrior with provision cost 7 or less instead of 8 or less.
  • Ethereal provision has been changed from 8 to 9.
I can't even think of a worse nerf than this. The nerf doesn't hit the point at all. The craziest thing for SK is the crazy quality of the bronze cards and the new key words, not the provision bonus of Second Wind.
1. The first is tyrggvi, the rupture is a really hard to counter. It is almost equal to spend 5p distroying a unit (because everyone use this card in r3). It is much stronger than Vincent.
2. Tuirseach invader, 4p 7power with veil! How could you even do this? Comapare with Ard feainn tortoise, 5p 7 power with even with a side-effect? All the veteran card needs to be nerfed.
Drummond berserker, 5p 9 power without any combo? I think this card really break the balance.

I think without nerf on the new cards, all SK players could still use Patricidal Fury or even the Second Wind to dominate the ladder. The ladder will still be filled with SK decks and anti-SK decks.

My suggestions:
1. Veteran only triggers in hand. Not in deck.
2. Drummond berserker increase to 6p.
3. Increase the Second wind bonus to 13 (preserve the druid SK players).
4. Make An Craite Greatsword a purple card. (this may be optional, but the nerf on the new bronze cards, especially the veterans, is emergent)
5. Change tyrggvi's Deploy ability into a melee order.

I can't even think of a worse nerf than this. The nerf doesn't hit the point at all. The craziest thing for SK is the crazy quality of the bronze cards and the new key words, not the provision bonus of Second Wind.
1. The first is tyrggvi, the rupture is a really hard to counter. It is almost equal to spend 5p distroying a unit (because everyone use this card in r3). It is much stronger than Vincent.
2. Tuirseach invader, 4p 7power with veil! How could you even do this? Comapare with Ard feainn tortoise, 5p 7 power with even with a side-effect? All the veteran card needs to be nerfed.
Drummond berserker, 5p 9 power without any combo? I think this card really break the balance.

I think without nerf on the new cards, all SK players could still use Patricidal Fury or even the Second Wind to dominate the ladder. The ladder will still be filled with SK decks and anti-SK decks.

My suggestions:
1. Veteran only triggers in hand. Not in deck.
2. Drummond berserker increase to 6p.
3. Increase the Second wind bonus to 13 (preserve the druid SK players).
4. Make An Craite Greatsword a purple card. (this may be optional, but the nerf on the new bronze cards, especially the veterans, is emergent)
5. Change tyrggvi's Deploy ability into a melee order.

I have to strongly disagree on some of this. The Veteran tag is not a problem nor even part of the problem. Tuirseach invader is not alone on that power level; MO have Aen Elle Conqueror, SY have Mutants maker (a stretch maybe but the value can be equal), NR has Kerack Marine, NG has Angry Mob and ST has Oakcritters. Sure the other cards have requirements such as Devotion, Conspiracy or demands the usage of coins, but on the upside all other factions equivalent cards can be played in R1 and/or R2 for full value, whereas Invader cannot.

A possible problem is when interacting with cards like invader with say, Drummond Villager, which in that case is a 8 power for 4 provisions. Maybe dropping one of those bleeding charges to make it more in line with the rest.

As for those suggestions:
1. Veteran cannot be changed, it can only be left as is or removed. Balancing the cards is more important and Invader is absolutely fine.
2. Maybe, but a better change would be to have it trigger berserk 1 turn earlier so at 3 power instead of 2, dropping its possible max value to 8. Remeber that this card only plays for 5 if removed and other factions also have cards at 5 provisions that demand answers. Most comparable examples being NR Kerack City Guard that also requires no set up. Unfortunately the other factions did not get so lucky and require some sort of combo for their cards like Hamadryad.
3. Scond Wind should stay as it is since the problem is not the leader nor the provisions. I'm not sure what my personal opinion on this is, but the change that has been suggested alot and makes the most sense at least as a short term fast fix is to have it cap out at 9 provisions for the ressed card.

I do like the ideas on 4 and 5 though :)

DRK3

Forum veteran
So i decided to create a new SK deck. Used Ursine Ritual, because it gives so many provisions (167 vs Second Wind's 161).
And just to be different, didnt use GS, Dagur, Morkvarg HoS, Wild Boar of the Sea or Hemdall.

And guess what? It still did surprisingly well. These new SK cards are amazing overall, so much i can have the luxury of half of the deck being memey/counterable (a back row of berserkers and light longships being healed by Flaminica, protected by Defender), because if that fails i still have Harald's Evolving card or the veteran that hits for his base power.

Also, the nerf to Blood eagle is laughable, the limit from 8pr to 7pr doesnt mean much when you still have 2 relatively easy conditions (deathblow 2 or bloodthirst 3) to remove that limit, with a deck that has no problem causing damage.

TL;DR: the new SK cards are still amazing, the only actual nerf was to Second Wind

Hi there guys !
I'm a new player (started with The journey's release) i'm not playing ranked atm and untill I craft specific cards/decks to do so since it's pretty hard to win against well prepared seasoned players.
I see people complaining bout "Ethereal this and Ethereal that", i've played some games using the card and I can't complain but against well prepared NG opponents and SK especially the GS build with that card that boosts it self every time you get DMGed...
... it's not even in the same league.
Them NG throwing spy tags every where snatching your cards...lol, it's not even funny...
I welcome Ethereal's nerf but please, dont exaggerate bout it's value.
MO's are not even close to other factions playing ranked it terms of tutoring and insane "upside-downs" compared to other factions.
That's my humble opinion at least.
Cheers ! :beer:

So i decided to create a new SK deck. Used Ursine Ritual, because it gives so many provisions (167 vs Second Wind's 161).
And just to be different, didnt use GS, Dagur, Morkvarg HoS, Wild Boar of the Sea or Hemdall.

And guess what? It still did surprisingly well. These new SK cards are amazing overall, so much i can have the luxury of half of the deck being memey/counterable (a back row of berserkers and light longships being healed by Flaminica, protected by Defender), because if that fails i still have Harald's Evolving card or the veteran that hits for his base power.

Also, the nerf to Blood eagle is laughable, the limit from 8pr to 7pr doesnt mean much when you still have 2 relatively easy conditions (deathblow 2 or bloodthirst 3) to remove that limit, with a deck that has no problem causing damage.

TL;DR: the new SK cards are still amazing, the only actual nerf was to Second Wind
If you play with blood eagle you'll realise the conditions are not that easy, most of the time you want to instantly use blood eagle, mainly to pull Skjordal for a quick kill on a Engine or something, which is going to be more difficult.
Anyway I'm surprised by the quick Nerf, Can't tell how hard it's going to hit SK, but it's a little annoying that most factions get hotfixed, apparently the ones that are mostly weak throughout the year, but when it comes to certain factions we have to wait seasons for a nerf.
I believe like the others prov limit is a good way to balance these Leaders, Nothing equals to playing These high prov cards twice basically.

Ethereal nerf is nothing, it should be changed to at the start if turn, giving us the ability to deal with it.
How you can deal with 2 cards with 4 power on the same turn !

I wonder if they've considered making Greatsword a gold card. One is obviously bad news, but can be managed. Two of them is just a silly amount of points. These guys keep getting stronger with every expansion.

Top Bottom