Hotfix for .NET 4-related errors, 0xc0000005, 0xc0000142 etc.

+

Vinthir

CD PROJEKT RED
Hotfix for .NET 4-related errors, 0xc0000005, 0xc0000142 etc.

We created a hotfix for those experiencing problems with .NET Framework 4, notably errors like "application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)", 0xc0000005, and problems with the game not starting with no error (getting stuck on the wolf medallion splash) etc.

PLEASE NOTE! This hotfix SHOULD NOT be used with the Steam version of the game. Since 2012 the Steam version of The Witcher 2 does not use .NET Framework 4, so the hotfix is completely unneeded. Furthermore, using the hotfix on Steam will make thewitcher2.exe incompatible with Steam features like achievements, Steam overlay, cloud saving.

Download the hotfix from this page.

Additionally, on that page I gathered all the most important info we have on the problems with .NET Framework 4 and workarounds/fixes for them. I would like to thank moderator *Tommy* and all the users who helped with the research on this issue :).

Last edited:
Sorry to go OT but you are working on the "Vergen's wheel bug" too right? Please answer me. :(
The one with the oil trap you have to activate during the assault, to do so you have to turn a wheel, but that wheel is turned 90° into the wall, so you can't finish the game... :(

Vinthir

CD PROJEKT RED
slimgrin said:
So was 2.1 only implemented for uploading Arena scores?

It fixed several problems with uploading Arena scores and the security of it.

slimgrin said:
Is the 10 MB patch on Steam today related to this?

Nope, it was related to cloud saving.

this means it might work again in Linux with WINE, I never got it working after patch 2.1 :( stupid useless .Net4

Thanks, I was curious as to why it was added in the first place. And thanks for continuing to chase down bugs.

craziplaya21 said:
When will we get a patch to make the new cutscenes work for 16:10? I still haven't played yet just because of that...

Give em some time . The EE has only been out for little over a week .

Yes, it's for the GoG version, and any other version EXCEPT for Steam.
However, my understanding is that it's optional. If you don't have the specific .Net problems as listed, you don't need to install.

Thank you for the official hot fix. Greatly appreciated - the unoffical fan made one was fine but this is genuine support.

Not able to use the leaderboard feature? Well, if that sacrifice is all that's being made, then that's fine by me. I wasn't using that feature anyway and if it means the difference between playing the game and not playing it at all, it's no hard decision, really.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next patch. Thanks again for the great support on this terrific game. Keep up the great work.

More 'The Witcher 2', please. MOAR!

I also express my appreciation for an official hotfix. I understand that there is only so much a company the size of CDP can accomplish in a certain amount of time and many others are being patient as well. Thanks for showing that you guys are still doing everything you can to make the experience great for everyone instead of just cashing in like some developers did, like Crytek not fixing Crysis 2's bugs in four patches and then just giving up. Hopefully, this is why you guys will be around for a long time after other companies have closed up shop.

simplyadalin said:
Any notes on what to do? Do I need the hot fix for the GOG version?

Assuming you mean Linux then after install (of EE) patch it with this hotfix. Install vcrun2010 and d3dx9 via winetricks. Set /HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D/UseGLSL=Disabled in the registry (for performance reasons). Run the Configurator and apply whatever settings your system is likely to handle (word of advice: Never enable Ubersampling, always disable Vsync, and turn off Cinematic DOF).

Tada! Everything should work fairly swimmingly.

Top Bottom