Hotfix for .NET 4-related errors, 0xc0000005, 0xc0000142 etc.

+
Reohh said:
I have the steam version of the game and I updated to 3.4. Now I can't launch the game because of the 0xc0000142 error. Since this hotfix is not for steam users what can I do to fix it?

When trying to fix the problem I noticed I have .NET Framework 4.5 instead of 4. Would uninstalling 4.5 and installing 4 solve my problem? Thanks.
Did you update to the 3.4 manually or automatically from Steam ? I think if you`re running Windows 8 it comes with .NET 4.5 ....so it would or should contain the 4.0 already .

Reohh said:
I updated to 3.4 manually.
Have you checked the link for some problems that can cause the 142 error
http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/26411-fixes-for-21-and-tw2ee-issues-and-142-error-or-w2-stopped-working-update-121112/

Yes, nothing works. The only thing I can do is uninstall completely and reinstall without updating the game. The game ran fine before I updated.

Reohh said:
Yes, nothing works. The only thing I can do is uninstall completely and reinstall without updating the game. The game ran fine before I updated.

What you can do if you want is to take picture of your installed programs and email them to me . Maybe I will be able to spot something that is interfering with witcher 2 .

I want to tell Tommy thanks for his help. My problem was a program named "safe saevoee" which came with another program " SafeSaver 1.74." These are programs that convert PS2 save games from a memory card on your computer to be used with a PS2 emulator.

I uninstalled those two programs and now TW2 works perfectly.

Ponggoh said in 2012:

Hi all,

I got the retail version. I also have the 142 error after updated to 2.1 and rename the acaptuser32.dll does the trick. Will this going to happen forever? Rename and name it back to original?

In 2013
Updates:
I was fed-up having to do the rename and I stop playing for a while hoping CDProjectRed will solve all these bugs in 2012 and I just came in 2013 to see if these could be solved, there were updates till 3.4 surprisingly I thought ok, hope that would solve these nonsense, after update to 3.4 lo and behold the 142 code still up. I am really disappointed with CDProjectRed, why and why all other games out there don't have this tons of problems/issues??? I tried rename the Acaptuser32.dll and this time it didn't work. Why oh, why? This problem is even worst than just renaming the Acaptuser32.dll. Now I have to solve the issue on Net Framework 4 if this is the problem, I am just at the point of giving up.

This "nonsense" can't be solved directly by CDPR because it is a fundamental defect in .NET 4.0.

Other games aren't using this miserable misfeature. You can patch it out of TW2, but you lose Arena score uploads if you do.

THE DOTNET HOTFIX

We created a hotfix especially for the people who experience the problems mentioned above. The hotfix makes .NET Framework 4 unnecessary to run the game. The hotfix will work correctly ONLY when applied on the game updated to 3.4.

looks like you need 3.4 installed before the hotfix

The link in the first post is not working as in it takes you to a blank page is there an alternative link Thanks

I have been playing TW2 for 3 days, it was all ok. After downloading patch 3.1, there occured the problem: "application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)". ı uninstalled and installed the game again, it is ok if ı don't download patch 3.1. All my saves are deleted. I do not know what to do know?

What to do if receive a message error code 0xc000007b and your game is version 3.4.0.25 and all Visual Basic C++ are installed (since 2005 to 2015), and .NETframe is 4.5 ?
Also, this error message appear in Steam installation, Gog backup and Gallaxy installation. I also uninstalled and reinstalled all VB versions and all Netframes and still persisting same issue when launching TW2. By the way, is the only game that return this error massage, no other. There must be something related with register folders or something.

PLEASE HELP !!!!

What to do if receive a message error code 0xc000007b and your game is version 3.4.0.25 and all Visual Basic C++ are installed (since 2005 to 2015), and .NETframe is 4.5 ?
Also, this error message appear in Steam installation, Gog backup and Gallaxy installation. I also uninstalled and reinstalled all VB versions and all Netframes and still persisting same issue when launching TW2. By the way, is the only game that return this error massage, no other. There must be something related with register folders or something.

PLEASE HELP !!!!

This is the same exact problem I've been having. It affects a few different games, not just The Witcher 2. None of the solutions I found on any other website helped. I put in a support request but didn't get a response. The hotfix didn't work, and it occured with both the disc version and the Steam version.

I could really use some help...

Last edited:
If you are using Windows 10, please go to (...)\steamapps\common\<game>\_CommonRedist and:
1. Install (...)\steamapps\common\The Witcher 3\_CommonRedist\June2010\DXSETUP.exe
2. Repair (...)\steamapps\common\The Witcher 3\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2012\vcredist_x64.exe
3. Repair (...)\steamapps\common\The Witcher 3\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2012\vcredist_x86.exe

Top Bottom