House of the Dragon Discussion/Appreciation Thread

+
Just leaving this here for future reference, and to not derail the TV Shows thread too much. This is the show of the year for me, has surpassed peak GOT in just one season already. Even though they have been criticized, I do like the time jumps, make the show feel like the story keeps moving, and we can see the characters in different stages of their lives without having to wait for further seasons (I do think this show is gonna be shorter than GOT, but I'm a firm supporter of quality over quantity). This story and characters are even more interesting than GOT's IMHO.

The first couple of episodes were a bit weak, but it found its stride about mid season. Ended on a very strong note. I agree about the comparison to GOT. I've read a lot of comments comparing it unfavorably to GOT, so I guess it's a matter of personal taste. For me, GOT felt like a slow slog, and I never found it all that interesting. HOD is moving along at a good clip, keeping the story fresh. Not sure how much of that is writing, and how much of it is superb acting. It's a bit jarring seeing The Doctor play a psychopathic anti-hero, but Matt Smith is phenomenal. And the biggest plus is that I don't have to wait until 2/3 the way through the series to get dragons.

The first couple of episodes were a bit weak, but it found its stride about mid season. Ended on a very strong note. I agree about the comparison to GOT. I've read a lot of comments comparing it unfavorably to GOT, so I guess it's a matter of personal taste. For me, GOT felt like a slow slog, and I never found it all that interesting. HOD is moving along at a good clip, keeping the story fresh. Not sure how much of that is writing, and how much of it is superb acting. It's a bit jarring seeing The Doctor play a psychopathic anti-hero, but Matt Smith is phenomenal. And the biggest plus is that I don't have to wait until 2/3 the way through the series to get dragons.
The show has been incredibly wholesome in just a few chapters, we've seen the dragons since the very beginning and we've seen them well. All the actors have been phenomenal indeed, my favourites are both Rhaenyras and Daemon. The funny thing is that "psychopathic" anti-hero is a better person than any of the Greens (looking atcha Ser Crispin, Alicient, Otto, Larys, Aegon and Aemond)

Last edited:
Just leaving this here for future reference, and to not derail the TV Shows thread too much. This is the show of the year for me, has surpassed peak GOT in just one season already. Even though they have been criticized, I do like the time jumps, make the show feel like the story keeps moving, and we can see the characters in different stages of their lives without having to wait for further seasons (I do think this show is gonna be shorter than GOT, but I'm a firm supporter of quality over quantity). This story and characters are even more interesting than GOT's IMHO.

It really seems to be about taste, because how this show is supposed to be better than peak GOT is beyond me. I enjoy it, especially the first 5 Episodes, but it does really lack the grandeur and meta-plot of GOT. It's all about succession and most of the show seems to be in hallroom talking about it. The scheemy characters aren't that scheemy, Hightower lacks charisma compared to Varys or Littlefinger and their is also no character I love to hate, like Ramsey, Joffrey, Jamie... (gods, there were plenty) and also no character to really emphatise with like Jon, Tyrion or Arya.

Most actors are suberb in HOD, yet the chemestry between younger Rhanerya and Daemon was much better.
Also, I cared about Arya and Bran within the first 2 Episodes of GOT, I don't even remeber the name of Rhaneryas Kid that died in the last episode. Lastly, we had three gruesome birthing scenes, two did very little for the plot or the characters and seemed somewhat there only for shock value and a certain agenda.

HOD is a great show, but GOT is a masterpiece, in my humble Opinion, Season 1-6. So Maybe HOD can actually write a good ending and beat it then. ^^

As someone who enjoyed Game of Thrones...

I got through about 45 minutes of the first episode and couldn't be bothered to keep watching. I thought it was really, really... really, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad.

It really seems to be about taste, because how this show is supposed to be better than peak GOT is beyond me. I enjoy it, especially the first 5 Episodes, but it does really lack the grandeur and meta-plot of GOT. It's all about succession and most of the show seems to be in hallroom talking about it. The scheemy characters aren't that scheemy, Hightower lacks charisma compared to Varys or Littlefinger and their is also no character I love to hate, like Ramsey, Joffrey, Jamie... (gods, there were plenty) and also no character to really emphatise with like Jon, Tyrion or Arya.

Most actors are suberb in HOD, yet the chemestry between younger Rhanerya and Daemon was much better.
Also, I cared about Arya and Bran within the first 2 Episodes of GOT, I don't even remeber the name of Rhaneryas Kid that died in the last episode. Lastly, we had three gruesome birthing scenes, two did very little for the plot or the characters and seemed somewhat there only for shock value and a certain agenda.

HOD is a great show, but GOT is a masterpiece, in my humble Opinion, Season 1-6. So Maybe HOD can actually write a good ending and beat it then. ^^
Personally, I really love to hate Ser Crispin, he's on Joffrey Baratheon's level. Also Alicient, Otto and f*cking Larys are really hateful if you ask me. The characters I care about are Rhaenyra and Daemon mostly (the Sea Snake and Rhaenyra's children are honorable mentions), it's a matter of taste indeed, as I find Jon, Tyrion, Arya, Daenerys, etc less interesting (but then again, the fact I've known them for much longer time has definitely something to do with that). I find the characters here even more flawed and humane than in GOT (no conventional heroes like Lord Snow here). I also appreciate the fact that the sex scenes were tasteful unlike in GOT.

HOTD can DEFINITELY write a worthy ending, I'm convinced of it. Reason: the story is fully written and published, unlike ASOIAF.
Post automatically merged:

As someone who enjoyed Game of Thrones...

I got through about 45 minutes of the first episode and couldn't be bothered to keep watching. I thought it was really, really... really, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad.
Nah, it's the very best thing of 2022 alongside the second (and unfortunately last) season of Raised By Wolves and That Dirty Black Bag :howdy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom