How about...The Witcher: Grand Plan

+
How about...The Witcher: Grand Plan

I have been thinking about this... witcher3 is the last story about our famous white wolf, and considering that we won't see another withcer series (if there is a plan) in decade, so how about we make a gigantic game ( or mod using wither3 modder tool)?

in this game we can conclude the whole story of Geralt :from the book, start at the hunt of strigga , white wolf telling his stories in the temple, then the destiny emerge, looking for Yennifer and Ciri, the Hansa, then Stygga castle.... then the Lyria Revolt, the apple island, meet with Letho, then wild hunt.....then the story line of witcher1,2and3 ( mending then together)....

This will be pretty hard, but if the modding tool for witcher3 is good then it is not impossible...

I am a student studying computer science in PSU, and to be honest this is what I want to do after I graduate..

I believe Skywind is in development for now over 3 years and still not available to the public so imagine doing what you suggest, it would take a monstrous amount of time and resources, not doable IMO but then I am no modder...

Guest 2364765

ITT: I have a dream but don't know how mods, much less game development works.

In your dreams pal. We don't have either the right tools for the job (and at this point it's not said that's ever going to change) or the widely understood resources (time, skills and people) to do such project.

Witcher 3 didn't feel immersive as I wanted it to be, it feels more of a chore than a breathtaking masterpiece. Witcher 1 however was and still is for me at least an excellent game.

Witcher 3 didn't feel immersive as I wanted it to be, it feels more of a chore than a breathtaking masterpiece. Witcher 1 however was and still is for me at least an excellent game.

I'm sure that's interesting, but could you stick to the thread topic please?

I'm sure that's interesting, but could you stick to the thread topic please?

hmmm, yes.. never say never, surely such a feat can be done. Let us do it, forget about the time. We are not in an industry where strict deadlines must be met, we can make an effort like Skywind. Each person is unique, some people have time and others do not, if you have passion, I say we do this, I want a complete overhaul of Witcher 3, remember graphics, music and UI does make a difference in how immersive a game can be.

even if we had the proper tools aka redkit, you cant even start to imagine how much time and effort it take to do anything creative that isnt a copy past from the original game

thats why you rarely see mods that involve creating new regions/quest, and even when its the case, its rarely any good despit all the efforts modders can put into it, you cant match the talents and the quality of a full dev studio

Last edited:
you cant match the talents and the quality of a full dev studio

I would actually adjust that statement by saying you can't match the manpower and resources (where such individuals make a living out of it and are therefore far more reliable than the sporadic volunteer) of a full dev studio. Talent and quality is certainly out there if you look hard enough. However, that talent needs to have a considerable amount of time on their hands.

And if you happen to be lucky enough to find such individuals willing to devote all that time an energy, you're pretty much looking at years of development. By the time you're even remotely finished with implementing half of Witcher 1, technology has changed so much that your game will look outdated as has happened with a wonderful team I worked with on the Baldur's Gate series, which was to be implemented in the Dragon Age: Origins Engine (with a full Toolset and access to resources unlike the tool currently released for Witcher 3). Team members either find a paying job in the industry, or redirect their interest elsewhere leaving you pretty much ....well ;)

But don't let this deter your overall desire to recreate games as a modder. If I were you I would start small. Gain some experience in developing small quests for other games that already provide such modding support. (Perhaps TW2 even) You'll be better able to gain an understanding for what such projects entail, and begin to formulate your dreams and ideas from a more knowledgeable perspective.

hmmm, yes.. never say never, surely such a feat can be done. Let us do it, forget about the time. We are not in an industry where strict deadlines must be met, we can make an effort like Skywind. Each person is unique, some people have time and others do not, if you have passion, I say we do this, I want a complete overhaul of Witcher 3, remember graphics, music and UI does make a difference in how immersive a game can be.

While its absolutely true that Witcher 1 could be improved by being in the new engine, there aren't the tools for building locations with the current mod kit. Sure somebody may figure something out but it would probably so convoluted and time consuming you wouldn't find enough people willing to work on it. I will say this, a remake of Witcher 1 in RedEngine is more likely to come true if the proper tools arise than completely new content from the books.

Why? because you have a reference you have quests, you have dialog, you have a plot that works in a game and the areas are all mapped out and designed. A huge amount of development goes into that aspect of a game and you can shave a bit of that off with at least a reference to the previous works, after that its just world building and implementation, by that I mean it's more time (A HUGE AMOUNT) and knowledge than anything.

But.... we still need the tools, I'd say at this point its probably more likely to get a witcher 1 remake from a future bethseda game than from witcher 3.

Top Bottom