How are the PC controls?

+
How are the PC controls?

I play on the PS4 and I am not completely satisfied with the controller. Is the PC any better?

The keyboard and mouse is even worse than a controller, on the plus side you can remap everything with the latest patch or with a third party tool.

The Kb/M controls need some fixing/tweaking.

The character movement is clunky, some key-binds are kinda weird (Right-click for both Parry AND Witcher Senses)... /sigh

Hopefully we will get some fixes from CDPR.

Got no significant problems with M+K. I guess it's more a question of how much you're used to play with M+K. If you're doing it for years you kind of learn to cope with the disadvantages, if you could call them that. Couldn't imagine to play the game without mouse and keyboard to be honest.

I'm totally fine with the K+B. There's a weird issue though, when you start running it's a bit laggy, so Geralt takes one or two steps walking then starts running. It makes a bit hard to navigate, but I got used to it. That said, the controls do need patching, and I expect CDPR to fix the issues.

The only problem is the crappy targeting system, which makes it downright impossible to pick your target from a tight group of enemies and to keep attacking the target you want without Geralt suddenly going after someone else instead. Also, a part of the targeting system is the Lock On Target functionality, which is crearly designed for controllers and worse than useless with M+K.

Other than that, M+K suits this kind of game extremely well, as long as you customize the setup to suit your tastes.

I have an XBOX360 controller as well, and at no point have I felt the slightest urge to use it instead.

oddly ive found the pc controls perfectly fine!
I would recommend a multi button mouse so you can rebind a key or two..but in general ive had no issues at all with it!
think ive rebound "dodge" and that's about it! LOL

I second what you said, word for word.
Been playing games on the M+KB since 1997, so you can imagine how anal I can be about bad MKB controls, and I love criticizing games, yet I'm clocking tens of hours into The Witcher 3 without a single moment where I was anything but satisfied with the controls. Oh, except for having to mouse over every inventory item to see its name and details in a cursor pop-up, but using a controller to look at the different inventory items solved this problem for me.

For those curious, here are the fantastic benefits of playing with MKB (I tried both MKB and controller):

- Instant control over Geralt's walking, running and sprinting. Tap "left control" with your pinky and you instantly toggle run/walk. No need to fine-tune your thumb on the analogue stick.
- Fighting from horseback is easier with MKB because you're simultaneously holding the canter button (left Shift) and the attack button (Mouse 1). You're using two separate hands. On a gamepad those two buttons are both face-buttons, so it's difficult to press and un-press them separately with one thumb.
- Quick-switching signs with numbers 3-7
-Instant opening/closing of the various menus using I, O, G, J, K, L, B, N and M.
-Instantly dragging inventory items with the mouse, and going down menus quickly with two strokes of the mouse wheel.
- I don't need to tell you about the instant 180 or 360 degree turning of the camera using a fast mouse. I basically spin Roach in his tracks when I turn around to attack bandits a second time, I don't go in wide circles. (fast mouse camera + WASD for this, of course).

Keyword here is instant.

when you start running it's a bit laggy, so Geralt takes one or two steps walking then starts running.
I wouldn't credit this to lag it's just part of the animation. Looks much more natural to me the way it is. Geralt is not Usain Bolt who actually can go into sprint instantly without taking one or two steps to wind up.

I wouldn't credit this to lag it's just part of the animation. Looks much more natural to me the way it is. Geralt is not Usain Bolt who actually can go into sprint instantly without taking one or two steps to wind up.

I don't know, to me the transition doesn't even look natural, he starts running suddenly after that two steps. So it just feels delayed. And you're right, Geralt is not Bolt, he's faster. ;)

I'm totally fine with the K+B. There's a weird issue though, when you start running it's a bit laggy, so Geralt takes one or two steps walking then starts running. It makes a bit hard to navigate, but I got used to it.

The keyboard's settings at the operative system allows you to configure the delay of the first repetition when you keep pressed a key.
May be that is getting in your way?

PS: In win7 that configuration can be found at:
control panel > keyboard > speed

The keyboard's settings at the operative system allows you to configure the delay of the first repetition when you keep pressed a key.
May be that is getting in your way?

PS: In win7 that configuration can be found at:
control panel > keyboard > speed

No, this stuff is intended in the game, it's meant to be more lifelike compared to an insta-run, but in the end, it just makes the controls a little frustrating instead.

No, this stuff is intended in the game, it's meant to be more lifelike compared to an insta-run, but in the end, it just makes the controls a little frustrating instead.

I never noticed.
Combat seems smooth to me. And it seems extra smooth if I compare it with TW2's combat.

I never noticed.
Combat seems smooth to me. And it seems extra smooth if I compare it with TW2's combat.

Combat is fine, the regular movement is what's a bit clunky right now. I hit the sprint button and it takes a second for Geralt to actually start sprinting (this is from walk to sprint, not from run to sprint). Same for galloping on horseback.

Last edited:
not a fan of the controls.. at least with a controller. Geralt feels like he is on roller skates. honestly movement is really the ONLY issue i see with the game so far. i feel movement in the Witcher 2 was better.

otherwise im having a TON of fun in the game.

Yeah. Movement is surprisingly bad, IMO. Picking up loot is often more difficult than big monster fights. The wide turn radius combined with the multiple step movement is frustrating, and I expected better from CDPR, but it's the only thing that really bothers me in the game.

In terms of the running (and riding), I think they're following the animation principle of acceleration being a curve rather than linear function. Usually this results in more natural looking and feeling results, but I think, as implemented, it's overly exaggerated when starting any kind of movement.

Need a much tighter turn radius, and A/D should actually make you run left and right without dragging the camera with you tank control style. Its a symptom of consolitis. PC gamers don't need "help" moving the camera around, that's what we have a mouse for.

Top Bottom