How balanced are Arena matchups?

+
Recently I've been using gold to play Arena matches. Think that I've had about 3 goes at it, in order to complete a stupid daily challenge. I've been getting beaten. Every match. It's like my opponents have custom picked their cards to beat my deck. Even when I think that I've chosen a good deck for what was on offer, or that I look good in round 3 with a few cards left to play, I just haven't been able to win. The only games that I've won have been the 2nd game, when my opponent passed to gain card advantage.

Just wondering how many people 'just happen' to walk into other players who have a deck superior to yours and seemingly designed to make your deck uncompetitive against them. I wish that it was ME who got given the card options that my opponents were!

Such a lack of success would encourage people, I think, to spend 'gold' or real money to try and chase their losses. This might be the last time that I chase a Daily challenge involving Arena matches!

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
There is no balance in arena. That is to say that any deck archetype with any card combo can be made possible when you draft the right cards. However, there isn't any matchmaking algorithm based which cards you have drafted. Everyone can be matched with anyone, regardless of their decks (and number of wins).

That's the nature of the Arena; you never know what you're gonna get, in terms of both cards and opponents. Never really bothered me, even when I played a lot of Arena.

It's annoying when you get a deck with only a few Golds, especially when opponents seem to have nothing but Golds, but there will also be times you get a deck that seems too good to be true for Arena. Which still doesn't guarantee success, of course, but it improves your chances by a lot.

Everyone can be matched with anyone, regardless of their decks (and number of wins).
Are you sure about that last part (number of wins)? I really doubt that's the case as it always takes longer to find opponents the further you go.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Are you sure about that last part (number of wins)? I really doubt that's the case as it always takes longer to find opponents the further you go.

Last time I played arena, I noticed I was matched against beginners, even after six wins. It might have changed in the meantime, though.

Recently I've been using gold to play Arena matches.

I personally think the Arena depends very much on a players experience levels, and their knowledge of all cards in the game. If you are newer to the game, you will be disadvantaged to a more experienced player, because they will make better pick of cards and they will play their cards in a better way too.

I was trying a bit of Arena the other day, and I was wondering why I was winning so many matches. It was down to experience, I'm sure. I remember say a year ago if I played in the Arena I would pick cards way more randomly and bad than I do now.

I'm not super experienced, but quite experienced, which makes it way more obvious what kind of cards to choose in the Arena. I don't know all the cards by heart, but I have a pretty good knowledge on all the cards in the game. This makes a ton of difference when picking cards.

Inexperienced players also tend to pick cards they think are good (based on non-arena play), but which are not good in the Arena.
Post automatically merged:

That's the nature of the Arena; you never know what you're gonna get, in terms of both cards and opponents. Never really bothered me, even when I played a lot of Arena.

After matches, you can see player stats and I've both smashed pro-players and lost (and had trouble) to total newbies.

As some1 who is constantly crushing arena, I'd say that many arena players do like me and break the contract if they think it can't win 9 games. So if you just play the deck you get on 1st attempt of building deck, more often than not you will lose.

Again you're quoting me to say something that is not a response to what I'd written...

Well, I'm just kind of confirming/extending on what you say..
Post automatically merged:

As some1 who is constantly crushing arena, I'd say that many arena players do like me and break the contract if they think it can't win 9 games. So if you just play the deck you get on 1st attempt of building deck, more often than not you will lose.

As long as you don't lose early on and can make it past a certain point, I think it's generally worth the resources you get from your final placement, also when you don't win 9 matches. Arena kind of generate a steady revenue for a player who plays it..

It's just different from normal matches.

I personally think the Arena depends very much on a players experience levels, and their knowledge of all cards in the game. If you are newer to the game, you will be disadvantaged to a more experienced player, because they will make better pick of cards and they will play their cards in a better way too.

I'm not super experienced, but quite experienced, which makes it way more obvious what kind of cards to choose in the Arena. I don't know all the cards by heart, but I have a pretty good knowledge on all the cards in the game. This makes a ton of difference when picking cards.

I'm not sure what my level of knowledge for the cards would be. Maybe average or below average, but in any case, I don't think that that is what is making me do badly in the game. There's no time pressure to pick your cards in Arena, so you can explore what each card does. It might be a factor for inexperienced players though, I'll concede.

For me, I think that the factors are the cards which were on offer for my opponents and for me. Then there's the luck of the draw during matches. It just seems to me that I get the low ground of the bell curve when it comes to match ups. I'll walk into people who can throw two defenders into the same row in the same game or finish the 3rd game with a string of big ticket units.

Top Bottom