How CP2077 should handle ammo?

+

How CP2077 should handle ammo?

• Unlimited ammo - like Overwatch

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Single ammo for all weapons - like Mass Effect thermal clips

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Different cartridges (e.g. 5.56×45mm NATO) - Cyberpunk 2020 rulebook?

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Different cartridges (e.g. 5.56×45mm NATO) + different variants (e.g. armor piercing) - like Deus Ex

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • Simplified - e.g. assault rifle ammo, smartgun ammo

Votes: 15 22.4%

• Total voters
Gameplay demos did not show any ammo mechanics so far. Enemies did not drop it and we never saw this being in inventory. It might even be unlimited at the moment?

While this makes gameplay more streamlined it reduces RPG system complexity and crafting options. Having money sink would make being mercenary more believable as you have expenses and have a reason to carry alternate weapons.

However Cyberpunk 2020 has way too many different kinds of ammo so that is probably too much.

”Cyberpunk 2020 rulebook option for different catridges.”

It’s not too complex.

Perhaps they could also add AP&HP versions where applicable. It’d be nice, but that’s not something whose absence I’d cry about.

The simpler the better; I don't care about realism or being true to source material in this aspect. One, universal ammo for everything that uses bullets, but no unlimited ammo. Only something like a... I don't know, rocket launcher, should need special ammo.

Simplified is fine for me, though having actual calibers and such like the PnP would be fine too. No real preference between those two, so K.I.S.S. takes over and I voted for simplified.

Thinking about it...

I don’t think it’d necessarily change the game - as it’s been shown - much at all if it had one universal and unlimited ammunition that went for each and every gun.

I don’t endorse that, it sounds stupid to me, but I don’t think it’d make much of a difference with the gameplay at large, so... *shrug*

Last edited:
Caliber and variant would be nice.
I loved raiding corporate ammo storages in Deus Ex. They usually kept 2 revolver bullets and one smg magazine for the entire security division :) "One guard takes the rifle and shoots, when the guard with a rifle is killed by Adam Jensen, the next guard in line takes the rifle and shoots. But remember. There are only two rounds per rifle. And we need them back."

How CP2077 "should" handle ammo is sorta irrelevant, how it does handle it appears to be:

Magazines hold a set amount of rounds, but you apparently have an unlimited number of magazines. Each weapon apparently uses it's own own inherent magazine type thus the caliber is irrelevant. Damage type (or armor piercing ability) is based on the weapons stats, thus the ammo type is again irrelevant.

Magazines hold a set amount of rounds, but you apparently have an unlimited number of magazines. Each weapon apparently uses it's own own inherent magazine type thus the caliber is irrelevant. Damage type (or armor piercing ability) is based on the weapons stats, thus the ammo type is again irrelevant.

This mechanic does not need much dev time to change, so it can still not be final. As with much of already revealed gameplay. If it is we are looking at a game with bad gun mechanics + terrible AI + bullet sponges + boring bonus %dmg skills... That won't end well.

This mechanic does not need much dev time to change, so it can still not be final.
Actually you're incorrect.
These mechanics are fundamental to a games design ... weapons, skills, character/NPC stats, the economy (what costs how much, how readily available is it), how many enemies can the player be expected to be able to kill how fast, etc. So, no, it's not something that can be changed easily, or at this point probably at all, tweaked, definitely, changed, no.

If it is we are looking at a game with bad gun mechanics + terrible AI + bullet sponges + boring bonus %dmg skills... That won't end well.
If you're looking at CP2077 as an RPG ... well ... the gun mechanics have little if anything to with traditional character skills mechanics.
As an FPS it's not a combat centered game, so don't expect it's mechanics to be as refined as games that are.

We have NO CLUE how good/bad the AI is at this point. All we've seen is some VERY set piece demos, zero actual gameplay.

A certain amount of bullet sponginess is necessary in an FPS, we can't have your character being killed from a single hit, thus to be "fair" neither can NPCs. The REAL question is "How spongy should they be?" Two hits? Three? Five? Currently (from the demos) it seems to be one with a shotgun (not including "bosses" ... of course) and five+ with a handgun.

Plus damage and additional ways to attack (new permitted weapon types, new attack abilities, etc.) seem to be a staple of FPS games. After all if your avatar could do everything a real person can do at the beginning of the game there's no "sense of improvement", and since it's an FPS the accuracy of your attacks is entirely in the hands of the player thus that can't be improved.

Again ... if you're looking to CP2077 to be the next "Fortnite" or "Call of Duty" you're looking at entirely the wrong game.

Last edited:
We have NO CLUE how good/bad the AI is at this point. All we've seen is some VERY set piece demos, zero actual gameplay.

A set piece implies orchestration of the events. One would think they’d do their best to portray the game, but AI hasn’t seemed very... ”I” there in the clips we’ve seen. And if that’s their idea of a set piece, I’m sort of afraid to see how the AI works when it is not set up. :D

Again ... if you're looking to CP2077 to be the next "Fortnite" or "Call of Duty" you're looking at entirely the wrong game.

There is no reason for every FPS RPG to have their gameplay at Fallout 3/4 level, modern Deux Ex games have better one than what we seen from CP2077, hell even Mass Effect: Andomeda has. While ultimately it won't matter much for single player we need to remember CP2077 development costs alone will be 100+ mil $ aka it will have a budged of your COD, GTA or Halo game but won't sell as many copies nor have MTX to prop it up so every feature matters for sales.

Besides, Cyberpunk will have multiplayer. If its the same as single player gameplay its DoA, but if its different then MP is standalone game and not an expansion.

I expect no less than 3, 4 is optimal
after the Outer Worlds i seriously hope CDPR doesn't simplify this aspect of the game

9mm
.45ACP
5.56 nato
7.62 nato
12ga
.50cal
Rockets
Batteries
Special ammo.

If all these are in the game, id say itd be a decent money sink. Add variants to even further specialize the ammo, and youve got yourself several ways to engage in an encounter.

Imagine if you get into a situation like in the movie Dredd: you're out of ammo for everything except your .50cal high explosive rounds. Its not meant for use on people, but hey, what can you do? Your enemy becomes a fine mist in front of you.

Also, id love to see prices reflect the type of ammo your buying. 9mm fmj are the cheapest, then prices go up as you go up in caliber, and pick specialized variants of a caliber.

I think whatever makes sense for the game or world they are building will suffice, and it's difficult to say what works atm since we know so little of the full range of gameplay systems being intertwined here. For example, how will ammo be acquired in CP2077? Will enemies drop them? Can they only be bought from vendors or given as mission rewards? These questions will affect what type of ammo and how many of them should be in this game.

Limited ammo should definitely be the norm, however, unless the game allows for a specific "running and gunning" build that facilitates an action-oriented pace that requires more ammo at your disposal. I like the fact that I can run out of ammo mid-fight, which forces me to contemplate other options like the Nanowire and melee weapons and get creative.

They have already shown us the following...

9mm
.45acp
.50 action express

9.2mm
6.56mm x 52
50 x 10mm

Hmm, depends.

If the game goes for a multitude of different guns, then having a simplified ammo pool may be better.

On the other hand, if they go for a small number of clearly differentiated guns, then having a smorgarbord of ammo might be better.

Then there is the possibility of splitting the difference. It's easy to imagine that assault rifles would all use NATO standard or similar, while handguns have a broader pool of ammo.

Red should handle ammo very carefully, it's a dangerous tool to be taken seriously..o wait..

One hand, I wanna see rule book ammo but I understand that the rules for ammo might not make the transfer into a video game.

I'd love to see different calibers, AP and HE rounds ect but I'd get over it if they had something more simplified.

I'd prefer broken down ammo groups (5.56, 7.62, etc.) with specialty ammo for different armor types. I like having different layers to the gameplay when it's not tedious (never found ammo to be tedious).

I'll settle for generic "assault rifle", "sniper rifle", "pistol ammo" groupings, but I would definitely not be satisfied with an even more simplistic "ballistic vs. energy" ammo groupings or unlimited ammo.

Top Bottom