How Cyberpunk 2077 melds Morgan Blackhand into Johnny Silverhand

+
I'm wondering now if Morgan Blackhand will be the focus of Cyberpunk 2078 just as Johnny was Cyberpunk 2077.

I'm wondering now if Morgan Blackhand will be the focus of Cyberpunk 2078 just as Johnny was Cyberpunk 2077.
If I have to guess, yes :)
(or at least, they keep him for "use" him later).
Post automatically merged:

I guess that this isn't coincidence if his name appear in the game here and there. And maybe even in the expansion, knowing he was one of the leader of the team (with Johnny) who assaulted the Arasaka tower for Militech in 2023 :)
Blackhand_Smasher.jpg

Last edited:
The only merging of the two characters that takes place is a product of Silverhand's narcissism. How he 'remembers' the events of the raid on Arasaka tower differs from the reality, but it's his memory that you, as V, experience. He hasn't been left out of the story by CDPR. He's been left out of it by Silverhand.

The only merging of the two characters that takes place is a product of Silverhand's narcissism. How he 'remembers' the events of the raid on Arasaka tower differs from the reality, but it's his memory that you, as V, experience. He hasn't been left out of the story by CDPR. He's been left out of it by Silverhand.

Mind you, you'd think Johnny would remember being bisected in half by Adam Smasher.

Still, I think we can just chalk it up to some dramatic license.

Mind you, you'd think Johnny would remember being bisected in half by Adam Smasher.

Still, I think we can just chalk it up to some dramatic license.
It's probably worth noting that Johnny was still alive enough for Soulkiller, which kills you and stores a digitised engram of your mind. What this actually does to a mind, especially a narcissistic one, is quite unknown. There's a good chance that Johnny's engram remembers a version of events that he prefers vs what actually happened. Getting cut in half by a shotgun and surviving would, I expect, be pretty traumatic. Additionally, in the version of events that Johnny 'remembers', he paints himself as Smasher's nemesis, and something of an heroic martyr, which he can't really do if Morgan is in it, because Morgan was the one fighting Smasher on the roof of the tower before the nuke went off.

It's true that Silverhand lead a team of Militech specops and nomads as well. But in Silverhand's remembered version of events, none of those are there. On one hand, he'd have to admit to working for a megacorp (Militech), which is something he always found distasteful. Likewise, nomads. He didn't dislike them as much as corps, and sometimes even respected them, but generally looked down on them a bit more than he looked down on everyone else. In the version he remembers, only the heroes he respected and didn't make him 'look lesser' were involved, which include Thompson, the media, Spider Murphy, the very best netrunner to ever live even compared to Bartmoss (and my personal favourite character), Rogue, and of course, Shaitan.

But don't you guys find it a little disappointing that in the last stance against Smasher in the game he kind of recognizes Johnny as a bit of a nemesis of his? If he would disregard him it would make it more clear, these Johnny's memory dissonances.

But don't you guys find it a little disappointing that in the last stance against Smasher in the game he kind of recognizes Johnny as a bit of a nemesis of his? If he would disregard him it would make it more clear, these Johnny's memory dissonances.

I mean, part of the humor is up until the last section of the game, Adam has NO IDEA that Johnny is back and is mostly confused.

It's worth noting that all these characters were part of the RPG, and Mike Pondsmith wasn't willing to give them all away to CDPR. (You can find interviews where Mike discusses this).

Morgan Blackhand was one of the characters Mike kept.

Does he recognise Johnny as a 'nemesis', or does he just recognise him? I assure you, it is not a difference without a distinction.

Does he recognise Johnny as a 'nemesis', or does he just recognise him? I assure you, it is not a difference without a distinction.

Adam Smasher undoubtedly knew Johnny Silverhand as a Edgerunner Rockerboy. Notably one that he killed or almost killed before Morgan Blackhand saved him.

It'd be like the Batman and Joker....and Robin.

Note that Johnny doesn't choose to remember Morgan saving his life.

Adam Smasher undoubtedly knew Johnny Silverhand as a Edgerunner Rockerboy. Notably one that he killed or almost killed before Morgan Blackhand saved him.

It'd be like the Batman and Joker....and Robin.

Note that Johnny doesn't choose to remember Morgan saving his life.
Morgan didn't save his life. Morgan was last seen engaging Smasher in battle just as the bomb was going off. His fate was unclear after that. Can you point me to the source that says that Morgan saved Johnny because it might be something I have not remembered.

Morgan didn't save his life. Morgan was last seen engaging Smasher in battle just as the bomb was going off. His fate was unclear after that. Can you point me to the source that says that Morgan saved Johnny because it might be something I have not remembered.

It's when Johnny Silverhand confronts Adam Smasher in the middle of Arasaka Tower then there's a cut before Johnny is on the roof.

It's kind of hilarious that Johnny just flat out blocks Morgan saving him.

Because Adam Smasher in the RPG took him down there before Morgan fought Smasher.

It's when Johnny Silverhand confronts Adam Smasher in the middle of Arasaka Tower then there's a cut before Johnny is on the roof.

It's kind of hilarious that Johnny just flat out blocks Morgan saving him.

Because Adam Smasher in the RPG took him down there before Morgan fought Smasher.
Except that Morgan doesn't save him. Johnny gets cut in half by Adam Smasher with a shotgun, and is left to die. Even if Morgan wanted to save Johnny, they weren't even in remotely the same place, they were on different teams doing different tasks in the assault on Arasaka tower.

Arasaka recovers what's left of his body and submits it to Soulkiller so that his mind can be preserved for interrogation. His 'body' (what's left of it) is then encased in concrete and dumped in the oil fields outside of NID. There is an 'alternative' version of events presented in Black Dog but it's generally considered non-canonical.

Except that Morgan doesn't save him. Johnny gets cut in half by Adam Smasher with a shotgun, and is left to die. Even if Morgan wanted to save Johnny, they weren't even in remotely the same place, they were on different teams doing different tasks in the assault on Arasaka tower.

Arasaka recovers what's left of his body and submits it to Soulkiller so that his mind can be preserved for interrogation. His 'body' (what's left of it) is then encased in concrete and dumped in the oil fields outside of NID. There is an 'alternative' version of events presented in Black Dog but it's generally considered non-canonical.

Well in the CDPR continuity, Johnny is clearly alive long enough to be interrogated by Saburo unless you think that was a hallucination.

Well in the CDPR continuity, Johnny is clearly alive long enough to be interrogated by Saburo unless you think that was a hallucination.
As it was presented in Johnny's memories, no. That is just 'Johnny's memories' which, as has been established, cannot be relied upon as accurate. It's true that he is interrogated by Arasaka, but it's likely this happened after he had already been Soulkiller'd. What we saw happen in the game wasn't even an interrogation. It was Saburo monologuing while Johnny got Soulkiller'd. And for the record, the 'CDPR continuity' is still Pondsmith's continuity, and is directly tied to Pondsmith's prior narratives. The most likely scenario is that a nearly dead Johnny, what was left of him after being cut in half by Smasher's shotgun, was dragged into a room to be emergency Soulkiller'd for interrogation, and the process of copying his engram combined with Johnny's self-serving narcissism resulted in his mind being fragmented and remembering things wrong.

Top Bottom