How deep are the ROLE-PLAYING elements in The Witcher 3?

+
How deep are the ROLE-PLAYING elements in The Witcher 3?

Hi fellow Witchers, I sincerely apologise if this has been discussed in another post, I did a few searches and found nothing of the like.

To the point... How deep are The Witcher 3's Role-Playing elements? In Skyrim for example... I REALLY appreciated that I could go into a pub buy a few drinks, find a seat- sit and enjoy my drink with a few bits of food that I found along the way. Then after my meal, I'd get a room and sleep for the night in a comfy warm bed pondering how to tackle the tasks for the next day while attempting to fall asleep. I don't exactly say that Skyrim is the BEST RPG ever, but those little details were very VERY MUCH appreciated to make me feel like I was living in the world. I feel its those kinds of small details that captivate you and take you into the game. It may seem like a waste of time for some, but I'm sure theres ALOT of you who love to RP while enjoying the game. I am one of them.

Will The Witcher 3 have ANY kind of small Role-Playing elements like these? If not, WHY not? Can it be added as a DLC at some point if it isn't already in the game?

I reiterate, I personally believe that those little details are what make Skyrim fun even when the game is SEVERELY lacking. I'd also go as far as to say if you can't really RP with the environment, you can't really compete with Skyrim as far as making you feel like you live in the game world. It would turn out to be something like a Final Fantasy game- definitely not a bad game but not in the same boat as a good RP game like Skyrim or even its predecessors for that matter.

Hard to say but really you can look at the Role playing elements in the previous two games and assume it will be more or less the same. If you never played the previous two games then let me assure you that roleplaying opportunities were not only possible but pretty much encouraged.

I love playing RP in games and I guess it could be technically possible in TW3. Since the game is going to be open world with an important day/night cycle and a food/water system... You should be able to pass the night in a tavern doing RP things, but with a much more immersive feeling.
In any case I found that playing very RP in Skyrim was quite difficult despites all these role-playing elements. In a tavern for example, everybody around you is repeating endlessly the same dialogue lines, with total lack of personnality. Very Dull experience. But that's another topic.

Last edited:
I'm currently playing The Witcher 2 (not too far in the storyline barely in Flotsam) but I don't remember the option to say sit in any "sittable" suface, or sleep at an inn or anything like that.

well there is that cutscene where Geralt shows up at a bar and is threatened.

What one has to realize is that this game is not the same as Skyrim in that you are playing a defined character. Technically you should never have the opportunity of sitting at a bar enjoying a good meal unless Geralt himself gets it (it's rare, people don't like him).

A better question is if you will be able to roleplay as Geralt, which I'm sure there will be ample opportunity.

Well, the Witcher 3 isn't Skyrim for starters. If you must draw a comparison, then look towards its predecessor, the Witcher 2.

I'm currently playing The Witcher 2 (not too far in the storyline barely in Flotsam) but I don't remember the option to say sit in any "sittable" suface, or sleep at an inn or anything like that.

yep. to be honest I don't think witcher 3 will have sitting down outside cutscenes either.
in witcher 1 you could "buy a room" (which would sit you in front of the fireplace) to meditate, but not sleep. in 2 and 3 you can meditate anywhere, so that's not needed.

Going by the previous two games and in general the kind of RPG Witcher is - Nope, not that kind of RPG you'll have to look someplace else. You roleplay as a Witcher, a mutant freak hated by just about everyone. So you want to rest, you rest by a fireplace outside, or under a tree, be creative you're an outcast nomad not a welcome member of society so a warm comfy bed is not an option. You don't get to dictate what's possible for a Witcher, the world has made those decisions for you long ago.

You're not the nameless one set to create your own fate, you're a part of the world and the world just happens to hate you and your kind. You will have to roleplay in those constrains. Besides, roleplaying is more of a mind game than a mechanical one.

"Why not" is because the game isn't TES or Skyrim or Nameless One template, it's a different kind of RPG - one where Story/Characters are the focus and your primary means of roleplaying are choices and consequences.

The Witcher games are about story, C&C and characters. If this isn't what you're interested in then don't play these games.

What make *me* feel as if I'm living in a world is if the other characters "play along", which means that their behaviour and their perception of me are consistent with who I am and the choices I have made. That is why I play TW games, and not so I can have an eating and sleeping simulator. Those things are fine, but that's not the idea of a narrative based game.

Depends on what you are looking for. For example Pillars of Eternity doesn't offer you that sitting functionality either, but I consider it a deep enough roleplaying game. Witcher games blend roleplaying with adventure and action, so they differ from let's say Skyrim and the like in that aspect.

B-but your beard grows in real time! You can get drunk off your whiny white arse! Your horse is always named Roach? How much more RPG can you get?! SURE, you can't sit down, you don't lie down when you sleep, but who needs to do those things anyway? You're Jerry the Riverman Geralt of Rivia! Man of action! Horizontal and furniture induced recuperative positions are for the weak! I'm sure a few hours in the boots of such an inspiring figure, you'll forget to eat and sleep anyway. Fear not, you'll be so immersed into Geralt's beard, you'll become his beard, and these worries will wither yonder.

Last edited:
Hi fellow Witchers, I sincerely apologise if this has been discussed in another post, I did a few searches and found nothing of the like.

To the point... How deep are The Witcher 3's Role-Playing elements? In Skyrim for example... I REALLY appreciated that I could go into a pub buy a few drinks, find a seat- sit and enjoy my drink with a few bits of food that I found along the way. Then after my meal, I'd get a room and sleep for the night in a comfy warm bed pondering how to tackle the tasks for the next day while attempting to fall asleep. I don't exactly say that Skyrim is the BEST RPG ever, but those little details were very VERY MUCH appreciated to make me feel like I was living in the world. I feel its those kinds of small details that captivate you and take you into the game. It may seem like a waste of time for some, but I'm sure theres ALOT of you who love to RP while enjoying the game. I am one of them.

Will The Witcher 3 have ANY kind of small Role-Playing elements like these? If not, WHY not? Can it be added as a DLC at some point if it isn't already in the game?

I reiterate, I personally believe that those little details are what make Skyrim fun even when the game is SEVERELY lacking. I'd also go as far as to say if you can't really RP with the environment, you can't really compete with Skyrim as far as making you feel like you live in the game world. It would turn out to be something like a Final Fantasy game- definitely not a bad game but not in the same boat as a good RP game like Skyrim or even its predecessors for that matter.

The role playing elements are quest design, C&C system and dialogues tree.
So...Skyrim is not a good example, I'm afraid.

---------- Updated at 09:18 AM ----------

it's a different kind of RPG

A bad one? asd

If memory serves me right, during one of the Q&A's around PAX in a question about the difficulty settings there was stated that on the harder difficulties health does not regenerate during meditation, but only when "properly resting".
I'm not saying there is a sleeping mechanic, but it at least indicates something similar is implemented.

And when talking about the weather, it was said that Geralt can freeze in a snow storm.
I'll try to find the Q&A I'm referring to and link it here.

Last edited:
What OP describes are mostly Sandbox elements, rather than Role Playing elements. TW3 is a combination of all 3 major branches of the Action RPG label.
-Narrative
-Sandbox
-Hack 'n Slash(not Diablo hack n slash, but modern day hack n slash, in the style of games like Dark Souls)

and it seems to include even tactical elements, with the rearanging of the skill tree. So this is overly ambitious overall, but if it delivers(and i think it will), it will be very hard to dissapoint anyone. Very few games have tried to do everything like TW3 does. King's of Amalur comes to mind, which was a failure, but i have much more faith in CDPR.

What OP describes are mostly Sandbox elements, rather than Role Playing elements. TW3 is a combination of all 3 major branches of the Action RPG label.
-Narrative
-Sandbox
-Hack 'n Slash(not Diablo hack n slash, but modern day hack n slash, in the style of games like Dark Souls)

and it seems to include even tactical elements, with the rearanging of the skill tree. So this is overly ambitious overall, but if it delivers(and i think it will), it will be very hard to dissapoint anyone. Very few games have tried to do everything like TW3 does. King's of Amalur comes to mind, which was a failure, but i have much more faith in CDPR.

What are the sandbox elements in The Witcher 3.

And, you know, I don't like the use of the term "narrative". What it is supposed to mean in an RPG? Story writing? Quest progression and design? Dialogues?

I'm not sure if there are any definitive 'sandbox' elements simply because CDPR decided they didn't want to make that kind of game. They have a load of roleplaying specifically as Geralt of Rivia though. I don't think those things are sandbox because they don't emulate what the player wants to emulate.

And, you know, I don't like the use of the term "narrative". What it is supposed to mean in an RPG? Story writing? Quest progression and design? Dialogues?

Narrative: Heavily story driven where your decisions majorly affect the plot.

Sandbox: Big open world with non linear gameplay and for the most part no restrictions on where to go. You can ignore the main quest.

There was a very good article by a video game designer who used these 3 labels to categorise RPGs(action RPGs more accurately) and gave good info about each. I cannot find it right now.

What OP describes are mostly Sandbox elements, rather than Role Playing elements

May I ask how you define Role Playing elements as opposed to Sandobox elements?

I think of role playing elements as mechanics and possibilities to interact with the enviroment in a way that drags me into the game and hleps me to roleplay a certain person - I this case let's say the book-Geralt: In order to do this I would need certain mechanics as the ability to sleep in an inn if I find one to rest and plan the next day as OP said. So I'd consider it a role playing element. Of course paired with the obvious choices as mechanics that are unique to witchers.

Sandbox mechanics on the other hand I would define as the possibility to buy a house, marry, adopt children and become a smith as Skyrim tries to do. Sandbox mechanics in my opinion give the possibility to completely go off track - I the case of TW3 settle down and let the world burn whilst becoming a farmer. Which is very likely not a opportunity the REDs will give us.

Edit: Nevermind the Sandbox part, you were faster with explaining than I with finishing writing.

So the things OP dscribed are Sandbox elements, just to get you right?

Last edited:
If memory serves me right, during one of the Q&A's around PAX in a question about the difficulty settings there was stated that on the harder difficulties health does not regenerate during meditation, but only when "properly resting".
I'm not saying there is a sleeping mechanic, but it at least indicates something similar is implemented.

And when talking about the weather, it was said that Geralt can freeze in a snow storm.
I'll try to find the Q&A I'm referring to and link it here.

I only recall them saying you can only get your health back from consumables like potions, food, and drink.

Narrative: Heavily story driven where your decisions majorly affect the plot.

Ok, so it is the Choices&Consequences system.
The most important element, according to Fargo and Urquhart, which define the genre. But...even if there is an amazing C&C system, if quest design is extremely linear and dialogues tree is not deep enough, all the role-playing system is compromised. Don't you think?

Sandbox: Big open world with non linear gameplay and for the most part no restrictions on where to go. You can ignore the main quest.

But actually, you can't.
It's like Gothic, where the non level scaling system is supposed to add more focus in the main quest.

---------- Updated at 11:31 AM ----------

May I ask how you define Role Playing elements as opposed to Sandobox elements?

I think of role playing elements as mechanics and possibilities to interact with the enviroment in a way that drags me into the game and hleps me to roleplay a certain person - I this case let's say the book-Geralt: In order to do this I would need certain mechanics as the ability to sleep in an inn if I find one to rest and plan the next day as OP said. So I'd consider it a role playing element. Of course paired with the obvious choices as mechanics that are unique to witchers.

Sandbox mechanics on the other hand I would define as the possibility to buy a house, marry, adopt children and become a smith as Skyrim tries to do. Sandbox mechanics in my opinion give the possibility to completely go off track - I the case of TW3 settle down and let the world burn whilst becoming a farmer. Which is very likely not a opportunity the REDs will give us.

Edit: Nevermind the Sandbox part, you were faster with explaining than I with finishing writing.

So the things OP dscribed are Sandbox elements, just to get you right?

Role playing elements are the toolset which allow the player to play a role.
Quest design, C&C system and dialogues tree.
Those you will ever find in an Role playing game.

Top Bottom