Self-driving vehicles?

+
So this may be an extremely obtuse or insignificant thing to be bothered by, but as somebody who's very interested in this idea that's already starting to happen...Is there really no form of player-triggerable vehicle autopilot? Your vehicles can drive TO you a certain distance after being called, you spend a decent chunk of time in passenger seats getting driven around, but as far as I can tell there's no way to just let your vehicle navigate towards a marker on its own. I can't blame anyone who thinks I'm silly but honestly it really hurts my immersion not to be able to do any sort of "Auto-navigate towards map marker" deal. Ubisoft games do it pretty reliably, roach could be set to pretty well automatically follow roads as you ran, and there are literal self driving cars in the game. I even got ahold of my own Delamain car with my own version of Delamain in it! His exact words were "You need a driver" then I just get in, start driving and that's it, it's a regular car. Delamain never even spoke to me again. CD Projekt, please give some clarity on this topic. Even just knowing if it's something you want to or plan to add in later will be alright.

This has kind of bugged me more and more as I play this but why can't any vehicle be set for self driving? Sometimes I just want to chill in the car and listen to the music while the city flys past me. Not to mention there is a literal Taxi AI. Did they seriously not include the ability to have Delamain drive you from point A to B or am I being dumb and missing a feature that is already in the game?

They could have worked around the fact they have no driving AI or proper pathfinding...by having a flying taxi service.

It could work congruently with the already existing fast travel system. You simply choose whether or not you want to fast travel directly or take an AV.

Kinda killing two birds with one stone that way in my opinion...

They could have worked around the fact they have no driving AI or proper pathfinding...by having a flying taxi service.

It could work congruently with the already existing fast travel system. You simply choose whether or not you want to fast travel directly or take an AV.

Kinda killing two birds with one stone that way in my opinion...
This would be such a massive improvement and could provide beautiful aerial views of night city.

People do not trust AI, with good reason. Delamain is the only "legal" AI allowed to operate on its own. Any other AI are considered un-licenced and cannot be used by the public.

Uhm if you call a car to your position its of course spawning nearby and drives the last meters but I am pretty sure i readed something about auto navigation AI for cars in the game, to explain how the cars arrive at their owners on request.

And in many quests you sit on the passanger seat while npcs drive the car.. wich is pretty much the same in terms of game mechanic as if the Ai is driving itself.

So there is pretty much no real excuse left but lazyness why there are no self driving cars to use while inside them.

Uhm if you call a car to your position its of course spawning nearby and drives the last meters but I am pretty sure i readed something about auto navigation AI for cars in the game, to explain how the cars arrive at their owners on request.

And in many quests you sit on the passanger seat while npcs drive the car.. wich is pretty much the same in terms of game mechanic as if the Ai is driving itself.

So there is pretty much no real excuse left but lazyness why there are no self driving cars to use while inside them.
Why do you need to be a jerk by attacking the devs and calling them lazy? Maybe look up the lore before spouting ignorance

Guest 4375874

This has kind of bugged me more and more as I play this but why can't any vehicle be set for self driving? Sometimes I just want to chill in the car and listen to the music while the city flys past me. Not to mention there is a literal Taxi AI. Did they seriously not include the ability to have Delamain drive you from point A to B or am I being dumb and missing a feature that is already in the game?
What for? This is right up there with the short sighted ppl asking for animation for cyberware. It's a gimmick that ppl will get bored of after 5 minutes so the devs likely realized that.

1. There's fast travel in the game, most players don't spend time driving from point A to B. I do most of the time, but I don't assume my experience represents the vast majority.
2. You'd have no control meaning you'll get stuck in traffic somewhere, get bored when it takes too long and decide to drive yourself or just fast travel.
3. Think about these suggestions from the point of player experience before making these posts based on something you saw someone say somewhere. Does it really add anything of value to the player experience? Is it worth investing time and resources? This is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you need to be a jerk by attacking the devs and calling them lazy? Maybe look up the lore before spouting ignorance

I am lazy myself, nothing wrong with being lazy but there is no need to come up with wannabe excuses for their different way of investing their precious worktime.. if that sounds better for you, your highness. But you called me jerk and unless you think you are a jerk yourself i am attacked by this.

What for? This is right up there with the short sighted ppl asking for animation for cyberware. It's a gimmick that ppl will get bored of after 5 minutes so the devs likely realized that.

1. There's fast travel in the game, most players don't spend time driving from point A to B. I do, but I don't assume my experience represents the vast majority.
2. You'd have no control meaning you'll get stuck in traffic somewhere, get bored when it takes too long and decide to drive yourself or just fast travel.
3. Think about these suggestions from the point of player experience before making these posts based on something you saw someone say somewhere. Does it really add anything? Is it worth investing time and resources? This is not.
I totally disagree. It is a feature I would use all the time. I like watching night city, the art design is a huge appeal of the game and I never use fast travel. Fast travel is fantastic to have in the game but as an RPG element it breaks the immersion. I always prefer traveling in game and seeing the sights go past. I do however prefer being able to do something else like sip a cup of tea while that takes place. Have you ever played red dead redemption 2? They let your horse take you one the path. The witcher? Very similar and I often let roach take the lead. GTA V allows. Your points are terrible and yes it would add to the game and is totally worth adding and investing in. Your last point is especially terrible. I have been playing the game, I am telling you about my play experience and I know I would use it because I have used it in previous game consistently. Also it doesn't make sense for it to not be in the game given the world it exists in, it should be there, it adds value by enhancing immersions, improving player experience, and adds to the world building. There are even benefits in making the game run better. Any moment a player would use a taxi service and let the game drive, just like the many times it gives you the option to have someone drop you off somewhere, the game is put on rails and can start to preload assets that it knows will be needed given the path a vehicle will take to get from point A to point B. All in all man none of your points make any sense.

Last edited:

Guest 4375874

I totally disagree. It is a feature I would use all the time. I like watching night city, the art design is a huge appeal of the game and I never use fast travel. Fast travel is fantastic to have in the game but as an RPG element it breaks the immersion. I always prefer traveling in game and seeing the sights go past. I do however prefer being able to do something else like sip a cup of tea while that takes place. Have you ever played red dead redemption 2? They let your horse take you one the path. The witcher? Very similar and I often let roach take the lead. GTA V allows. Your points are terrible and yes it would add to the game and is totally worth adding and investing in.
Yes I've played both Witcher 3 and RDR2 and I've never used that feature. I don't even recall that being a feature in Witcher 3, that's how notable the feature was. Played GTA V but got bored after a few hours so never finished it, I can't speak too much on that. Again, your experience does not represent the majority and the devs can't design a game mechanic for a niche group of ppl that will likely get bored of it before long. I'm sure they considered all of that from the Witcher 3, what mechanics ppl actually utilized vs what they did not and used that knowledge in their process for this game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I've played both Witcher 3 and RDR2 and I've never used that feature. I don't even recall that being a feature in Witcher 3. Played GTA V but got bored after a few hours so never finished it, I can't speak too much on that. Again, your experience does not represent the majority and the devs can't design a game mechanic for a niche group of ppl that will likely get bored of it before long. I'm sure they considered all of that from the Witcher 3, what mechanics ppl actually utilized vs what they did not and used that knowledge in their process for this game.
You're making the mistake of using your personal experience as the argument, not me. Your core argument is that since you don't use the feature most people probably don't either therefore it would be a waste of the developers time based on what you assume everyone elses experiences will be like. Then immediately after that you are trying to tell me that just because I use it, it doesn't mean everyone else would.

1. There's fast travel in the game, most players don't spend time driving from point A to B. I do most of the time, but I don't assume my experience represents the vast majority.
3. Think about these suggestions from the point of player experience before making these posts based on something you saw someone say somewhere. Does it really add anything of value to the player experience? Is it worth investing time and resources? This is not.

The pretentiousness of your response matches its foolishness.

1. I, as I'm sure most players, sometimes fast travel and sometimes drive. Having a taxi as an option would not be a rarely used feature. I'm sure many would enjoy this alternative at times, even if you personally would not.

2. As for getting stuck in traffic or bored, it would be all too easy to "Hold F to skip to destination" option if one gets bored of the ride. This feature already exists in the game so your #2 is a non-issue.

3. Regarding player experience, try taking your own medicine on this one. This feature would definitely add value for player experience when I've just wrapped up a quest and need to travel somewhere, but I want to get up in real life and grab a drink/stretch, check my phone, tidy my room, whatever. The game also delivers information frequently via radio and has a kickass soundtrack. It would often be desirable to just sit and let the game drive you to your destination while you soak up information/ambience. Just because you personally don't like an idea doesn't mean it objectively detracts from player experience as you claim. This feature would undeniably enhance the game.

The biggest factor however, as you point out, is the time an effort that would need to be invested. Obviously the benefit of this feature is relatively slight and if it would take a ton of coding then I agree it wouldn't be worth it. However, it is obvious from the mechanics already in the game that they could practically enable such a taxi feature with the push of a button. Since the overall time investment would be minimal, this would be a great feature to add as OP suggests.

I like to travel with some cars, which are not complete dogshit, but yeah, even today there are self-driving cars.
The reason this feature is missing because just like most mechanics in this game, the AI is half-done and/or half-assed as well.

I think this is an good point because they describe some of the cars in cyberpunk 2077 as self driving such as the Rayfeild caliburn and Delemains combat cabs not to forget the Mahir buses. Because i find it challenging to navigate some of the more complex roads in Night city not to forget the impatient traffic which sometimes just barge past you. In the story i also obtained Delemains cab depending on what you choose he will talk to you a little more but i find that bland the fact you can not sit in the passenger seat or even in the back and let the onboard AI be it the Rayfeild of Delemains drive you to your destination. In Delemains cab it be cool if you can use hes services be it your on cab or another it would also be nice if you could use the screen in the back of the car dels cab to set the destination. Id also like to see the combat mode they talked about where you can shoot out of the window whilst the car drives at least that is what i heard. Your not crazy at all i think it would really be immersive being driven throughout Nigihtcity be it in the rain or at night even due in a sandstorm it would be just nice if cdpr took this into account in a future update or the next DLC. Also kind of unrelated but they need to fix the Car call system it works most of the time but sometimes it goes through other cars gets stuck or just goes off course but besides that driverless cars would be a good thing to add into the game. I write this as i drive my delemain cab in disappointment that there is no auto drive

I think the rayfeild caliburn the mahir bus and delemains cab service and your own delemain cab should at least have auto drive because they are 3 cars depicted in the game as having an auto drive computer. It would be nice to sit in back of delemains cab use the screen built into the seat and set my destination to anywhere on the map. Because as much as i can navigate around mostly okay some of the roads come up rather quickly or they have a rather weird layout ever that or its the fact im British one of the two but it would still be nice to have auto driven cars also with the combat mode they talked about which i think is when you point your gun out the window and the car drives away from the enemy. Also i agree the car call thing can be half assed sometimes going through walls or other cars and occasionally going off road over rocks destroying my car. Be nice if CDPR could add auto drive in the game and fix the car call thing.

I think this is an good point because they describe some of the cars in cyberpunk 2077 as self driving such as the Rayfeild caliburn and Delemains combat cabs not to forget the Mahir buses. Because i find it challenging to navigate some of the more complex roads in Night city not to forget the impatient traffic which sometimes just barge past you. In the story i also obtained Delemains cab depending on what you choose he will talk to you a little more but i find that bland the fact you can not sit in the passenger seat or even in the back and let the onboard AI be it the Rayfeild of Delemains drive you to your destination. In Delemains cab it be cool if you can use hes services be it your on cab or another it would also be nice if you could use the screen in the back of the car dels cab to set the destination. Id also like to see the combat mode they talked about where you can shoot out of the window whilst the car drives at least that is what i heard. Your not crazy at all i think it would really be immersive being driven throughout Nigihtcity be it in the rain or at night even due in a sandstorm it would be just nice if cdpr took this into account in a future update or the next DLC. Also kind of unrelated but they need to fix the Car call system it works most of the time but sometimes it goes through other cars gets stuck or just goes off course but besides that driverless cars would be a good thing to add into the game. I write this as i drive my delemain cab in disappointment that there is no auto drive
You can use the AMM to let yourself be driven by your own vehicles, provided you placed a companion in the driver's seat. Until it gets implemented, that's the closest you can get to auto-drive for now.

You can use the AMM to let yourself be driven by your own vehicles, provided you placed a companion in the driver's seat. Until it gets implemented, that's the closest you can get to auto-drive for now.

WAIT wait wait...

So you are saying that NPC actor told to "drive to so and so" will drive the car thru NC to the destination and NOT "get stuck in traffic"?
That has been proven now?

Wow, you would not believe how many people on this forum said that was impossible.

I knew it was not. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom