How do you actually win at dice poker?

+
How do you actually win at dice poker?

i am having trouble actually winning at dice poker, it just seems like pure luck to me, i just save before i play and reload if i lose but it is getting reaslly annoying as i keep losing everytime i play somebody,im at the part where you have to beat the professionals,iv beaten Munro now stuck on Thaler, he has beaten me everytime!, i have maybe won a round about 3-4 times...is there any real way to win or be good at dice poker?Oh and another thing i was wondering is, when it ask's you how much you would like to raise, what are the symbols above the middle and last raise button? the middle has 1 orange symbol the last has 2 red one's.also money is not an issuse as i have a little over 4k, but i dont seem to really spend it on anything, still wearing the leather armor that you start with, is money good for anything, besides strong beer for potions?Thanks for your time.

Hmm. Maybe you already know what I'm gonna write here but I'll give it a try. My strategy in dice: Not mentioning saving before game. 1. Always place the highest bet. Even if you know you'll certainly lose on that round because if you do a comeback the sum you'll earn will be greater.2. If you have a pair try throwing other ones always. Don't break your even your pair for something higher. I mostly get a three of a kind by doing that besides the pair. Maybe four of a kind if I'm lucky. I think the symbols represent the orens' quantity. I also saved my money like you. I never played dice for fun, not that I didn't have fun, but I only played it for the quest. I sold my unneded ingredients and the other stuff in inventory in every chance I get. I didn't buy an armor but if you want an advice on what you can really spend your money on I can tell you it's a "spoiler". Uhhm..Is it ok to share spoilers in this section even in spoiler tags? Maybe if you want to know I can tell you by private message. Good luck with the game.

sure you can send me a private message, any tips would be great!, as long as they are not major spoilers that relate to the story, as i dont wanna ruin it in my first playthrough :)oh btw i finally beat Thaler, FINALLY!, but i think ill fistfight for extra cash :p

Yea, I roll only for pairs personally, and I win 3/4 out of the time. It used to be much easier before witcher got it's weight in patches. But it's still fun and addicting! As a side note, I love how when you are looking down at the dice board, you can sort of still feel you're actually sitting right there because the setting changes to reflect where you are.

chaosapiant said:
I love how when you are looking down at the dice board, you can sort of still feel you're actually sitting right there because the setting changes to reflect where you are.
Oh God, I love that too. :) I also love the music. If I'm in an eerie place with solumn music, I'll often play for a break.

personal observation, may be incorrect: 3 and 5 appear more than other numbers.I never broke these pairs.

Yep, I concur with everyone else here - pairs and threes is the way to go. If you've got a pair or a three, keep them and only throw whatever's left on your second go. You'll win about 80% of the time that way. Those odds drop a bit once you get to Act III, but that's to be expected - after all, you're playing with the real big-shots by then!

rule number 1:save b4 gambling hard earned orens.rule number 2:bet the maximumrule number 3: if you lose, re-load and try again.

The dice game in The Witcher is totally obnoxious. Considering what a phenomenal game The Witcher is, and further considering how engrossing the graphics and sound of the dice game are, it comes as a huge disappointment that the game is rigged.In my latest playthrough I've won 5 out of over thirty dice matches. I do not save prior to gambling. I find it completely obnoxious whenever a game encourages compulsive saving.It would be really nice if any of the superb patching of The Witcher had addressed the rigged nature of dice poker in any way. Dialog mentioning that certain players have rigged dice, quest based options to defeat cheating (perhaps holding a public match to expose the cheater) or to acquire rigged dice of one's own would be welcome additions to dice poker.That, or they could just make the game play fair.

Iam now in the beginning of chapter 2 in the witcher and have 3500 orens and thats after forging my sword in chapter one.I have no interest what so ever in doing dice poker games, when I could be doing quests and looking for herbs. And going forward with the story,, of this truly excellent game. Can I just miss out the poker games?

Guest 2081505

hypo666 said:
Can I just miss out the poker games?
Sure. The armour that you can buy for 5000 orens is frequently overestimated. You can buy it later on.And if you should worry about the XPs: Some grinding could balance it. But it's not really necessary.

You do get some experience for finishing a level of poker playing, such as moving from Novice to Professional or Professional to Sharper. It's not a huge amount, though, so if you'd rather skip it, you won't be missing much.

secondchildren said:
Well...uhmm... actually there are some dice playing that you cannot miss because of the plot....they're just a couple....
You have to talk to the elven convict at the beginning of Chapter 2, and of course one doesn't say no to the king. :) But if the question is, "Will I miss something really important by not doing the optional dice games," the answer to that question is no.

Guest 2091327

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic.I'm just at chapter one, the outskirts inn. There is a gambler there, but I don't see a way to gamble with him. No icon in the dialogue options, and none of the options led to any gambling. Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Guest 2081505

Pangaea said:
I'm just at chapter one, the outskirts inn. There is a gambler there, but I don't see a way to gamble with him. No icon in the dialogue options, and none of the options led to any gambling. Is there anything obvious I'm missing?
Have you met Zoltan already? After this encounter you will be able to play dice poker.

Guest 2091327

Hmm, not sure to be honest. But if he unlocks it I guess I haven't. Will I bump into him naturally or will I have to locate him somewhere, do a particular quest?

Guest 2081505

Pangaea said:
Hmm, not sure to be honest. But if he unlocks it I guess I haven't. Will I bump into him naturally or will I have to locate him somewhere, do a particular quest?
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/File:Map_Outskirts.pngDo you see the 4 houses in the north, on the south side of the river? There you'll find Zoltan and a handful of villains. Perhaps you have met the reverend already. Beginning at the church it's only a few steps.

Guest 2091327

Ah thanks. I've been very close then. Met the Reverand and lit 4 fires, then met that broad from the bar and started to walk her home. She got killed and I turned off the game last night at 4 am. Figured that was enough for one day :DOne problem is I autosave a lot, but unlike some other games this one doesn't overwrite a autosave 'slot' so I have a TON of saves. Need to find one from the start where that broad isn't half-dead already. She had just a tiny marked part in the circle under her, which I suppose is the healthbar?Will get this done when I fire up the game and then go and locate Zoltan. Would like to try out the dice mini-game.

Guest 2091327

Just wanted to say I coincidentally came across that Zoltan guy while searching for the Mill for some "romance". It was a fun game actually, so I kept at it for a while. Was pretty exciting to bet max when we both had a set of three-alike, and I won with four alike, having had a worse three-alike than Zoltan. Good times :)As for tips, I tend to win more than I lose if I try to go for three-alike. You usually get a pair, so with three spare dice you have decent chance to get another one for three-alike. Even when I have two pairs I often ditch the lowest and go for three-alike as you only have 1/3 chance for a full house.Apart from the first time, when I threw away the dice I wanted to keep, I haven't reloaded. Won 4 or 5 and lost one match, so with Lady Luck smiling Mona Lisa-esque to you, this method should be fine.It worked okay against Zoltan at least. If people get better results later in the game it might not.

Top Bottom