How do you deal with multiple losses in a row?

+
I'm curious. Today was another of those days, where I lost match after match. Ranked, seasonal, Arena, nothing worked out for me. It's not that I'm a terrible player. Instead, it's a combination of a strange match-making system (play Usurper and you'll never face Francesca, build a damage deck and face a Monster deck that only plays out 1 str units, etc.), the best cards refusing to come on hand and that tiny bit bad luck, because the opponent has exactly the card needed to counter my play.

I know it's "just a game", but honestly, I feel strange after such a day. It feels like you're playing with half of your deck only, against an opponent that has twice his/her deck to freely choose from. And since losing (until you have every card unlocked) happens more often than winning while trying to improve both, your gameplay and your cards, it begins to be frustrating. At one point (not today, but on my worst losing streak I hopefully never experience again), I even thought "why playing this in the first place?"

What about you? Of course I ask those who know losing streaks. You Supermans and -girls, who always win and smash each opponent since day one, please respect this thread as the one exception, where your awesome successes are not of interest ;)

I run the run the game back through my head and consider what I could have done differently. Did I approach the match-up, based on the MU itself, coin flip, opening draw, etc., correctly? Is there a way I could have approached it better? Is there any way I could have gained more points somewhere? Playing cards in a different sequence, holding removals off on one target so they would be available on another, baiting for one or more additional turns to protect a key card from removal, etc. Is there a way I could have mulliganed differently? If I passed out of a round did I do it at the optimal moment? If I won the opening round should I have pushed into R2? If so, how far should I have pushed? Did I play the right cards when pushing? Is there a card I should have played around but didn't or one I did but shouldn't have?

After that it moves to considering the deck. Is there some way I could improve my deck? Am I seeing a lot of match-up X and, if so, what can I change to be stronger against it?

From there it goes further and shifts into trying to mind fuck people :). Do I swap a card out here or there because it's going to deviate from the typical, expected deck to throw people off? There is no better feeling than having an opponent play around a card you do not have. Or failing to play around one you do have. Just because it's not on a meta snapshot (at higher ranks/pro ladder you might as well bet on people list sniping). Should I swap to a completely different deck or faction for a bit? Changing things up every few games can have some surprisingly, positive results. Especially if you're at a point where running into the same people over and over is common.

If none of that goes anywhere, and it almost always does, it boils down to an unlucky break. Losing streaks happen. Fortunately, so do winning streaks. If a player is always finding themselves in losing streaks the game isn't the problem.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Hello Tulamide, I understand your situation, and worse, I make lives, I get angry and often upset and sad.

But that is part of it, there are days that we win and days that we lose, it depends a lot on our state of mind and if we are well at the moment to see the best plays.

One thing I already noticed, when we start losing we should take a break, if we win and lose everything, this is normal, not only to win, not to lose ...

But when it comes to some defeats in a row, what we do wrong is to keep playing, because our emotional problems are more and more disrupting the plays and choices.

I believe that in the beginning you even made bad choices or the hand was not good, but in general you then without realizing you started to make bad choices because you were already emotionally affected, you understand?

when we start losing we should take a break
Agreed with this.

This probably doesn't apply to everyone as people are different, but in general the more you lose, the less happy you are, and the less happy you are, the more likely you are to make less than optional plays. The circle repeats itself until playing feels more like a chore than something you want to do.
(Yes, speaking from personal experience.)

Last edited:
  • RED Point
How do I deal with it? If I lose more than thrice in a row, I simply close the game, and try again another day. Slow going, perhaps, but more pleasant than growing more and more frustrated, in an attempt to regain lost avatar pieces.

• RED Point
When on a losing streak, start playing the top tier netdeck. If you still lose then, you'd better take a break. There's no way you can beat bad RNG or a brain fart. :smart:

Those are all so valuable informations! I never thought of using a tyical tier 1 netdeck, for example. I'm just not that "copy and forget" type, but of course it will help, when you're down a bit! Or setting a limit, very important!

I believe that in the beginning you even made bad choices or the hand was not good, but in general you then without realizing you started to make bad choices because you were already emotionally affected, you understand?
in general the more you lose, the less happy you are, and the less happy you are, the more likely you are to make less than optional plays. The circle repeats itself until playing feels more like a chore than something you want to do.
Hey you two!
Yes, I understand that very much. And probably that's what happened on my worst losing streak (it seems it was a real trauma, or why do I repeat it so often?). I will make sure that I don't fall into that trap any more.

First step - just bought Thronebreaker (it's on sale currently), and will switch back and forth.

I'm curious. Today was another of those days, where I lost match after match. Ranked, seasonal, Arena, nothing worked out for me. It's not that I'm a terrible player. Instead, it's a combination of a strange match-making system (play Usurper and you'll never face Francesca, build a damage deck and face a Monster deck that only plays out 1 str units, etc.), the best cards refusing to come on hand and that tiny bit bad luck, because the opponent has exactly the card needed to counter my play.

I know it's "just a game", but honestly, I feel strange after such a day. It feels like you're playing with half of your deck only, against an opponent that has twice his/her deck to freely choose from. And since losing (until you have every card unlocked) happens more often than winning while trying to improve both, your gameplay and your cards, it begins to be frustrating. At one point (not today, but on my worst losing streak I hopefully never experience again), I even thought "why playing this in the first place?"

Sounds a bit like my day the last 2 days of playing. After the first I took a break for a couple of days, and then the day today was just as bad. All the wrong cards at the wrong time, and the opponent had all the right cards at the right time. Draws unlucky for me etc. That's the feeling, but it's not really the reality.

I think when you (me) think that every deck is cheap, cheasy and using "unfair" tactics, it's time to take a deep breath and return another day.

Another thing you can do if you have a bad streak is to build another deck. I failed miserably with this tactic today, building a NR deck for the first time in a long time. Well, non of those decks I met when playing NG, I met when playing with NR, I just kept meeting the worst decks NR could ever face when I played NR, decks that I never face when I play NG.

Everything was unfair!!!!

So yeah, extended break for me.

I’ve broken controllers, remote controls and furniture in fits of rage. By no means the best way to deal with being on losing streaks but, the game can be so frustrating at times. Just know that you’re not the only one it happens to and we all suffer from it. There are similar discussions where people think that the game is fixed against them and paranoia always comes in to a losing streak.

I’ve no real solutions on how to deal with it but sometimes I find if I change my deck every match that I don’t face as many counter decks and I break the losing streak.

One detail I forgot to comment on, often the deck is also not good for playing in your rank or for the current goal, and we insist with it, and that, well, will be more defeats

You have to calmly accept that often this game will simply screw you for no other reason than it's your turn to be screwed.

I've just lost a seasonal game where the opponent played an absolutely baffling 14 different special cards, which I didn't think was even possible considering they had 8 cards still left in their deck and a tonne of units on the board. It looked as 'fixed' as you can imagine, but it's not fixed, so you just have to sigh, shrug and say "that's Gwent for ya". Then you've got two choices - either turn it off if it's happened a lot, or try again if it's just another 'one of those games'.

It's a piss-take that Gwent is like this so often; for every decent strategy match up played, there's two or three of these "oh look, the opponent has got the perfect deal" games that follow.

Edit: Played another disgusting seasonal game - oppo played Uma and somehow, out of EVERY gold, created False Ciri to destroy my artefact, then played Aguara and managed to create Korathi Heatwave twice. The game is SO pathetic sometimes, I can barely fathom why I keep playing it.

Last edited:
nedders mate haha I stopped playing ranked months ago and then Gwent entirely. Too many clever buggers out there plus as you say, baffling bad luck or getting stiched up with matchmaking.

I don't need that sort of negativity in my life.

As I say. 1% of the player population (the tubers) are creating all of the decks people use. Gwent and HC are the only card games I've played. I think HC is great fun, by the way.

What's worse is this kind of matchmaking, dodgy "luck", buggy garbage has seeped into Seasonal, which by many pro-CDPR posters is supposed to be "light relief".

It's not.

It's a relentless matchup against RNG ST Francesca, and it pisses me off because there's ALWAYS Triss/Uma/Aguara True Form and it's ALWAYS producing the goods for the opponent. I lost a seasonal yesterday after boosting two Elf Sage to 23 and 21, because the opponent's last card was Spores. I mean, SPORES!!!! Which just HAPPENED to be the perfect card for the needed 40 point swing.

@Mr_Mugglez is right, it really does create a very negative energy. There's something just not right about the game - opponents are consistently powerful, luck is frequently to "blame".

This also depend on which rank you are at the moment. Sometimes it just says "STOP" and that's it. In those cases I wish there was a more engaging "casual" match situation, where you can just play for fun and not meet so many "toxic" decks.

@nedders Taking a few days off to play Thronebreaker was a good idea. It is a fun game, although the mechanics are so different, that people coming from Thronebreaker will be disappointed by Gwent. However, I played again, after refining my Eist deck (others would say I made it worse). Instead of synergies, I just looked at strength points and put the highest ones in my deck. Imagine that, no combo engines, no "play from graveyard" effort, no difficult installment of synergies. Instead, just card after card, it doesn't really matter, as long as you put points to the board.

And it worked! Played only ranked mode though, so don't know about seasonal. But it was really hilarious. Some opponents forfeited in round two already. It was such fun. It was also a mindless game, just put more points to the board than the opponent can remove, or generate him/herself.

Of couse, there also were these moments, where you doubt reality. When your deck is full of units that have an ability (not necessarily an order), and you play them, and one after another gets locked. For a total of 4 locking cards on the opponent's hand! Four! Not in his deck, on his hand! Plus damaging cards, of course.

But you have to also realise this: When you lose, someone else wins. So, it is technically impossible for us all to lose. Therefore, "rigged" is a stupid claim. It is a bad match-making system, agreed. But it's not tailor made to just tease you and me. And if I see a video from a high pro rank player that says almost 70% win rate is outstanding, amazing, I see the real issue of Gwent. It seems a 50% win rate is already a good one. No wonder that so many people, including me, are so frustrated. It is normal to lose more than you win, in this game. That's bad on the long run. People tend to play games that satisfy them. We want that sweet reward of dopamine running through our venes. We get it from positive experiences.

Guest 4339135

What about you? Of course I ask those who know losing streaks. You Supermans and -girls, who always win and smash each opponent since day one, please respect this thread as the one exception, where your awesome successes are not of interest ;)

The only solution is to unistall this game, cry and [ . . . ]. The reason for losing streaks it the unfair and manipulative system of Gwent, you change cards or decks and you automatically face opponents that counter you. Furhtermore, the way the coin flip works and the way how you draw cards is completly based on luck, it has nothing to do with skill or something else and you can do nothing against this. And all the wise words from the players and moderators here about taking a break or overthink your games is absolute nonsense. When the game works against you, it's over, you have no chance anymore. You are just another good example, that many players in this game are being gypped.

Moderator's note: No, we aren't going to suggest that.

Top Bottom