How do you feel about death?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest 2091327

Tasir said:
Well, usually I don’t think about death and not afraid of dying either, death is a natural part of life. But I worry about losing people I love, to me it’s even worse than anything else.

I've already lost the person most dear to me, which was very tough, but losing others is certainly a concern as well. Before I used to be afraid of suddenly dying of heart attack in my sleep and things like that, but thankfully this seems to have passed now. It wasn't the death itself that was hard, but the pain associated with it.

It's the cycle of life though. We've been eating stuff our entire lifes. But once we pop our clogs, we'll become food ourselves and give something back. It's kind of nice, in a weird way.

I completely agree with some points people have said.

I,myself am also an agnostic atheist.I don't claim god doesn't exist.I only claim I have no logical reason to believe god does exist just like I have no logical reason to believe santa claus or buggs bunny exist outside of fiction.Yet I am still not 100% sure that buggs bunny is not real.

I am afraid of the emptiness because I love life so much.

Humans are a fascinating type of animals.
We have art,music,culture and a high state of emotion and knowledge.We form a society,we care for one another,we help one another,we love,we dream,we experience this amazing life.It's such a beautiful privillige to live as a human.Living as a human in this time is so wonderful.

The sights,the smells,the sounds of nature and the world are so wonderful.Life is so very wonderful and great.Life is...amazing.

It is wonderful that animal life has advanced so much that we actually have something more than just eat reproduce and die,we have a bigger meaning!

It is frightening to look at the hard fact that...it's all going to end,this glorious life is going to...end...

I think nobody deserves to die and disappear(even the intelligent animals)and yet so many good people in history just disappeared,and so will we :/.

What most people say is that they are afraid of dying and the pain not the death itself.Personally I am not afraid of pain.Because even when I suffer the most I can always say to myself that a better day will come and that life goes on.But that's not the case regarding death...

What can one say about death? We're all in the same situation. We all know it's coming, and I think those of us who say they aren't afraid of it are being dishonest. Thinking about it can drive you mad, and the same goes for thinking about the responsibility we all have to make the most of being here. I'm 34 years old and still haven't realized my dreams, and probably never will. That's not easy to deal with.

A few months ago one of the students at my company was killed in some kind of accident. He was only 21. I didn't know him well, but I felt really sorry for him. I still can't believe that the same grinning vibrant young man I saw last winter is now in a box somewhere. It shocked me. You think of old people as the kind that might die at any moment and not someone closer to half your age who barely experienced anything in his short life.

Thothistox said:
We all know it's coming, and I think those of us who say they aren't afraid of it are being dishonest.
Nope. Sure, we all get scared once we're threatened by death, but I'm not afraid when thinking of it.

CostinMoroianu said:
Speaking of my own beliefs with regards to the afterlife while I do believe quite firmly that God exists, since to me the notion that the entire Universe with all it's laws, galaxies, black holes, starts, solar systems, planets and life all are here by random chance is rather ridiculous, I am not so sure about the afterlife.

I've considered the implications of going to a place where every single person dies goes to, the vast differences there would be between our society and theirs and how radically different it would be to our current world. That to me is rather a terrifying aspect. The idea of nothingness does scare me, but not so much of the idea of stepping into a radically different realm then our own.

EDIT: It's also somewhat exciting.

It's easy to think that nothing exists after this life, it's harder to think of moving from this world to a vastly different one.

I don't believe in a literal interpretation of the Holy Books.

That's what I hate about the christian idea of heaven personally.
People form their own society.We make our own happy "heaven".
We try hard to create a better life for our species.
There is pain and suffering,true,but the reward for it is great.

I don't like the idea that heaven is a place with no suffering and where everything is perfect.
Without sadness there can't be happiness.
There is no good and wrong,people form their good and wrong in their society.
I think that I would much rather live forever in this grand society the humans created during history than a "perfect" heaven where everything is absolute(like morals etc.)

Note: I am not saying that christian people are by any means stupid or bad people.I'm just giving my view about a topic discussed in that religion and would love to get some respectful debate from it ;)/>/>.

IceEpicX: That's precisely why I don't believe in the Heaven as defined in the Holy Books, but then again we can't comprehend a perfect society and so we hate it and fear it.

As someone once said: "Many fear change and will fight it with every fiber of their being."

Personally I'm not very religious, but I acknowledge a belief that may or may not be real. If that afterlife would have have me I'd gladly accept.

The possibility of nothingness is probably the scariest thing about death itself. I can't imagine my memories, accomplishments, my (few) loved ones, just all gone and forgotten just after the brink. Truly scary. But then IF their is an afterlife, would my past life even matter to me anymore, would I care, would I want to care, or would I even remember anyway?

Thothistox said:
and I think those of us who say they aren't afraid of it are being dishonest.

Nope. Personally, I am not afraid of natural death (because that's what I was talking about), but an unnatural death (accident, murder, sickness etc.) is a completely different thing, of course. And yes, like many other people, I do afraid of the latter option.

CostinMoroianu said:
I don't believe in a literal interpretation of the Holy Books.

Well I sure hope so.Every sane person who actually read the Bible shouldn't believe in it.

I have no hatred towards religious people but I do have hatred towards that horror book.

Killing nations for god?Killing babies for god?Killing people who wear clothes with mixed materials?Killing homosexuals?Killing people who get divorced?Cutting off hands of women for touching a man?Cutting off the tounge for speaking in public without man's permission?Slavery is OK?Beating up your daughter and stoning her for pre-marriage sex?Raping is OK?Women are just created to serve men?Genital mutilation?

Oh and a god is a selfish vengeful creature if you ask that book.

GENESIS 6 & 7 Unhappy with the wickedness of man, God killed every living thing on the planet except Noah’s family. M
en, women, infants and animals drowned in unimaginable terror and agony.

EXODUS 21:20-21 According to God’s law, it was wrong to beat a slave to the point of death. But if the slave survived and got back up within a few days, the beating wasn’t punishable, because the slave was the property of the master.

NUMBERS 21:3 The Lord gave the Canaanites over to Israel, who "completely destroyed them and their towns."

NUMBERS 31:17-18 God commanded Moses to kill all of the male Midianite children and "kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man." The virgins were presumably raped. (NOTE: How could the soldiers know which women were virgins?)

NUMBERS 31:31-40 God divided the plunder to the soldiers, the priest, the Israelites and for tribute to the Lord. 675,000 sheep, 72,000 cattle, 61,000 donkeys and 32,000 virgin women.

JOB 1 To prove a point, God gave Satan permission to torment Job and test his righteousness. Job’s children were killed. Job’s possessions were destroyed. Job tore his clothes and shaved his head from grief.

JOB 2 God allows Satan to smite Job’s body with horrible boils "from the soles of his feet to the crown of his head." Job scraped his afflicted skin with a piece of broken pottery. His wife tells Job to "Curse God and die." Job’s friends found him unrecognizable.

Not only is it promoting killing people in public(with stoning) but it is contradictory and should be banned from sale IMO.

Now,I don't want to insult any christian because i truly believe most of you are very kind people.I'm just saying that you are right not following that book literaly,because...really?

Eh,I'm kind of going off topic...

IceEpicX said:
Well I sure hope so.Every sane person who actually read the Bible shouldn't believe in it.
What you're quoting is the Old Testament, the old Jewish book. Christians follow Jesus, who is in the New Testament.

The moderators had allowed the discussion on the grounds that it be and remain a PERSONAL view of death and how YOU might experience it.

It was NOT to become a debate over religious views or an attack on ways in which adherents of a religion may believe.

Closed with instructions not to dispute the closure publicly or start a new thread on the topic without express permission of the moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom