How do you feel community modding of cards will go?

+
I'm in two minds over this. On the one had it could be better than the current situation. On the other hand, I'm guessing that the reason that I hate the current situation is because the game devs have pandered to the fans and nerfed where they shouldn't have been nerfing and delivered crazy buffs to factions.

I used to almost exclusively play a Nil poison deck but that was nerfed, no doubt because there were a lot of complaint about this meta. You could say that that was fair enough but then why buff Syn with a meta which exponentially increased the damage that a good Nil poison deck could do? It's just a crazy way of 'balancing' factions.

Having an unnerfed Nil poison deck would barely be competitive with all these crazy decks for other factions where their units on the board just grow exponentially. Honestly, you'd need to have a couple of Geralt: Igni cards and a couple of (unnerfed) Geralt: Yrden cards in your deck just to have a fighting chance of not losing too badly. An alternative to that would be to have a lot of very cheap cards available to combat these crazy, exponential growth decks be they units or effects...e.g. a unit with a particular deploy ability, like, say "Purify" and an order ability like, say, "Reset a unit's power". You could then mix and match these all rounders depending on whatever meta was dominant at the time, in order to counteract them.

On top of that, who is basically calling for a deck that not only has exponential growth which is very hard to control but also for their cards to have immunity? Is that the devs or vocal fans?

The game is just badly balanced. It's hard to imagine things getting worse if the community modded cards. It can only be equally as bad, at worst.

Anyone know if Pro Rank will still be a thing when the community takes over?

Last edited:
I think the success of this will very much depend upon implementation: what modding options are available, how card sets are selected, etc.

Unless users can significantly change cards, the game will quickly become boring and die.

And I don't trust general players to objectively balance cards across all playing levels and factions. In particular, many are perfectly happy to play broken cards as long as opponents don't have broken counters. Many only consider tactical (and not strategic) options when weighing the value of a card. Many like to whine about cards they've never played (and hence fail to observe the weaknesses of cards). Many (including, to some degree, the developers) don't realize problems with high variability cards (a card that auto wins based upon luck, no matter how rare that good luck is, is always bad). And many are so biased towards their favorite faction that they are incapable of recognizing true balance.

But the alternative to a single, community-determined set of cards is to base each game upon an individual card pool that the players agree upon -- but this would make finding matches very difficult, and would likely also kill the game.

I honestly think that a community maintained CCG is virtually impossible to create -- but I hope to be surprised.

Last edited:
I think the success of this will very much depend upon implementation: what modding options are available, how card sets are selected, etc.

Unless users can significantly change cards, the game will quickly become boring and die.

And I don't trust general players to objectively balance cards across all playing levels and factions. In particular, many are perfectly happy to play broken cards as long as opponents don't have broken counters. Many only consider tactical (and not strategic) options when weighing the value of a card. Many like to whine about cards they've never played (and hence fail to observe the weaknesses of cards). Many (including, to some degree, the developers) don't realize problems with high variability cards (a card that auto wins based upon luck, no matter how rare that good luck is, is always bad). And many are so biased towards their favorite faction that they are incapable of recognizing true balance.

But the alternative to a single, community-determined set of cards is to base each game upon an individual card pool that the players agree upon -- but this would make finding matches very difficult, and would likely also kill the game.

I honestly think that a community maintained CCG is virtually impossible to create -- but I hope to be surprised.

I wasn't here for the beta and however many years after that until I got this game. Personally, I'd be interested in having a game mode which replicated the beta and other stages of the game, including having three rows.

What's going to happen to Pro Rank when the community takes over? I feel ripped off by this game in that I fulfilled the gameplay elements of Pro Rank but didn't get that acknowledged.

Going on what you said, do you have a view on the Nil poison decks? If that was unnerfed, do you think that it would be competitive with the latest metas?

Top Bottom