How do you fight higher level monsters? Here's a video I recorded during my gameplay. :)

+
How do you fight higher level monsters? Here's a video I recorded during my gameplay. :)

I happen to wander into a grave hag. Here, Geralt is level 18 vs level 28 Grave Hag. Happy viewing! I am now level 20 btw. :D

I would be happy to see other gameplay captures! :)

Below is a video showing Igni doesn't burn her as a demonstration in response to other comments regarding why I did not use Igni.

Last edited:
You doing it WAY to complicated, you just need igni, let him burn, igni, let him burn - DONE
I tried that the first time. Igni only does 50s to 100s damage and it doesn't burn her with my level and I died trying. lol.

I better rely on the sword runes which burns her at a higher rate. The huge burn damage was coming from the sword runes not from Igni.

How?

WITH BALLS. That's how.

Nice work.
thanks. it took me sometime to finally beat this creature with my level.

Last edited:

I have to say coming from Dark Souls/Demon Souls this game is not really difficult. I am playing on the second highest difficulty and I was level 11 when I beat this Royal Wyvern. Maybe it is just me, but when a developer uses the scaling displaying a skull and crossbones to mean you have no chance then I should have no chance. I used this same tactics when i was level 5 or 6 against another Wyvern to the north of Crow's Perch guarding some witcher diagrams for the cat school, he was level 12, then again against a forktail that was +10 of my level.

I have thought about playing it on Death March, but see no value given how wonky the combat really is given the hitboxes, iframes and such are in game. It just seems better to just play for the story at this point than for the challenge.

Nice video varonecl. So much fun in their. Rofl.

I will say each monster has different behavior. Draconids are not the hardest and quite predictable. I noticed all draconids tend to runaway or retreat when they are hurt. Other monsters has special skills and don't want to go too far from what they are guarding but is pretty aggressive like the grave hag.

I finish contracts higher than my level to for the challenge and I am still wearing the very first armor in the game at level 20. So most monsters will 2 hit kill me. lol.

I just battled a vampire in the Oxenfurt Drunk contract required level 26. I am just 20. It took me several tries to kill the vampire where you will be trapped in a small house. I have been playing in blood and broken bones as well.

Signs don't wwork well on higher levels. At all. Tested, died.

If the combat is not to difficult, Death March. The enemy hits much harder. Actually being swiped in the back by a sword can now kill you.

Signs don't wwork well on higher levels. At all. Tested, died.

If the combat is not to difficult, Death March. The enemy hits much harder. Actually being swiped in the back by a sword can now kill you.

I agree. I tested and died as well. For aesthetic and more challenge in fights, I only wear the Kaer Morhen armor until I find a better looking one. I sold my stronger armors. :))

I'm level 13 and facing a level 25 I think fiend that looks like a giant moose. It hit me once and I died from full power. Wtf???

Nice man.

Just recently went up against the "Jenny 'o the Woods" which is recommended level 10 but my Geralt was only Lvl 5. That might not sound like a big difference, but on Death March difficulty and with still having low level gear that is not as easy as it looks.

You deal quite the damage with your sword.
I think the higher you are in level the easier it becomes beating monsters even if they are 5 - 10 levels above you.
It just comes with the added skills, more powerful potions and better gear.

The potential, variety of skills you have, sign intensity, damage dealt, all of that increases based on your gear. And then the skills take that amount you have and add a multiplier (+20% sign intensity i.e.) to it making you even more powerful.

Just use Igni man. Here is a level 20 Hag with a level 11 Geralt on Death March.

Nice video and effective! We have different hags there.

Water hags are vulnerable to Igni unlike Grave hags which is level 28. You can check that on the bestiary.

That is why I used the burning chance I added to the Silver sword I am using not from Igni.
I have tried one fight with the grave hag from the op and I kept using Igni it didn't even burn her once. I even used firestream and I just got whacked to death although it works on lower level hags.

PS. I can record a video for you and prove you that she will not burn from Igni. lol

Last edited:
Nice video and effective! We have different hags there.

Water hags are vulnerable to Igni unlike Grave hags which is level 28. You can check that on the bestiary.

That is why I used the burning chance I added to the Silver sword I am using not from Igni.
I have tried one fight with the grave hag from the op and I kept using Igni it didn't even burn her once. I even used firestream and I just got whacked to death although it works on lower level hags.

Even so, at level 20, I'll be able to burn everything in the game with Igni. Even level 70+ enemies. I'll make a video and show you. I'm currently only 13, so will take some time lol. Also, I feel adding burn runes to the sword is a waste, considering the Igni spell.

I was about to head there. I am still only level 13. I am having the most fun trying to fight the monsters that out level me. I think the thing that breaks the combat with them the most is their area barriers, where they literally will do nothing while they attempt to get back to the area they are tied to. I fought a Wyvern in the video before that one where it followed me all the way down the hill and began summoning rotfiends once i got its health down to 1/4. That was hard.

It took me a couple of tries as well during the Jenny O' the Woods contract. I am now continuing the game on death march. :)

Its not a smart idea to try to kill way higher level mobs than you since the item level of the drops will scale to your level not the mobs, so you are getting screwed in the gear that will drop

Even so, at level 20, I'll be able to burn everything in the game with Igni. Even level 70+ enemies. I'll make a video and show you. I'm currently only 13, so will take some time lol. Also, I feel adding burn runes to the sword is a waste, considering the Igni spell.

The rune is very effective than Igni in this situatioin. I put 3 great runes with 15% chance to cause burning.

I have loaded the level 18 geralt where I fight the grave hag in the video. I'll record a 5 minute video of the grave hag just using Igni. hehe. Watch how she will not burn at all.

Top Bottom