how do you get to high levels (over level 45)?

+
how do you get to high levels (over level 45)?

hi guys.

1) i just finished the game and almost all side quests.
i have just a few witcher gear quests and most of the races and all of the gwent mission (i dont like either of those) and i am level 35.
how do i keep leveling up if most of the missions are gone?
are the gwent, gear and races missions really give that much XP that i am missing?

2) also, if i finished almost all quests than is there a point to level up anyways? it seems like no. there is no more game to play so it doesnt matter what level i could reach...

3) and just a general discussion question -
is there a point to leveling up? if i can only use 12 skills, which means i should level up 12 skills and perhaps a few more to switch to if i need, than what use are extra levels?

1) No racing and Gwent quests won't amount to much, maybe a level or so.

2) NG+ will use the level of your last save, so you would start NG+ at a higher level. Other than that it's just more stats and skill points.

3)I'll start with the obvious. You get stat points with each level (health, damage etc), you unlock new equipment, you improve your level vs. monsters making them easier, and it opens up the active skill and mutagen slots(that's just up to lvl 30). What seems to be overlooked by so many people is the limitation on skill slots. As you level up you can put more points towards another tree and have powerful skills from 2 trees making a more versatile build. You can reach further into a secondary tree.

I had a sign heavy build, but end game I also had whirl, acquired tolerance, and another combat skill to boost my red mutagen. If I had stopped once I filled the 12 slots, I would just have sign skills.

In short; versatility, and creativity with active skills.

Last edited:
1) No racing and Gwent quests won't amount to much, maybe a level or so.

2) NG+ will use the level of your last save, so you would start NG+ at a higher level. Other than that it's just more stats and skill points.

3)I'll start with the obvious. You get stat points with each level (health, damage etc), you unlock new equipment, you improve your level vs. monsters making them easier, and it opens up the active skill and mutagen slots(that's just up to lvl 30). What seems to be overlooked by so many people is the limitation on skill slots. As you level up you can put more points towards another tree and have powerful skills from 2 trees making a more versatile build. You can reach further into a secondary tree.

I had a sign heavy build, but end game I also had whirl, acquired tolerance, and another combat skill to boost my red mutagen. If I had stopped once I filled the 12 slots, I would just have sign skills.

In short; versatility, and creativity with active skills.

good info, but i still dont understand HOW to get to high levels. i cant imagine myself even getting to level 40 since i finished all the XP giving quests....

Finish everything and then run around the landscape killing monsters.

I'm level 24 and just got to the Ugly Baby quest. I'm taking it slow (8+ days invested so far) and trying to complete every quest that comes up.

I just watched a YouTube video the other day where the gentleman was discussing his build, he was a level 41. So there has to be a way to continue to level post-credits.

3) and just a general discussion question -
is there a point to leveling up? if i can only use 12 skills, which means i should level up 12 skills and perhaps a few more to switch to if i need, than what use are extra levels?
You and the whole bunch of people who thinks similar are so wrong. The point of leveling up is to eventually unlocking all possible skills, or at least the majority of them and reaching the highest tier in each of them to have a lot of skills to choose from. The point of the skill system with 12 active slots is to make the players to prepare and adapt to the fights depending on who will be the enemy by choosing skills which can be useful in the fight rather than creating one build and sticking to it regardless of enemy type. Of course this will truly shine only with highly increased difficulty and after couple of NG+ playthroughs to accumulate enough skill points.

You and the whole bunch of people who thinks similar are so wrong. The point of leveling up is to eventually unlocking all possible skills, or at least the majority of them and reaching the highest tier in each of them to have a lot of skills to choose from. The point of the skill system with 12 active slots is to make the players to prepare and adapt to the fights depending on who will be the enemy by choosing skills which can be useful in the fight rather than creating one build and sticking to it regardless of enemy type. Of course this will truly shine only with highly increased difficulty and after couple of NG+ playthroughs to accumulate enough skill points.

Yeah I can't wait for the day where either by mods or update the "weaknesses" of monsters have to be exploited to even stand a chance, will make contracts exciting :)

I don't know why they didn't put out NG+ earlier. After finishing the story and most of the side quests the game feels so empty that I thought it was sort of intented for a new game plus. But then I found out there wasn't.

I don't know why they didn't put out NG+ earlier. After finishing the story and most of the side quests the game feels so empty that I thought it was sort of intented for a new game plus. But then I found out there wasn't.

it s a lot bigger then let s say diablo or similar. Besides it s rare for rpg this big to have that feature (dragon age, Skyrim etc).
But yes it s perfect for it^^

But NG+ was not planned as far as we know. So why is there equipment witch such high levels in the "basic" game? Yesterday i got Schemata for Level 42 sword oO. So why had this stuff been integrated, when nobody can reach the level in a "normal" way...?

Or did they always plan to integrate a NG+ and thats why ..?
Only comprehensible reason for me.

But NG+ was not planned as far as we know. So why is there equipment witch such high levels in the "basic" game? Yesterday i got Schemata for Level 42 sword oO. So why had this stuff been integrated, when nobody can reach the level in a "normal" way...?

Future Expansions? ;)

Maybe they thought people might grind out those levels, maybe there's scaling on crafting diagrams and you can find ones that are your lvl+x. Also NG+ files were found as early as June. They've clearly been planning and working on it for a while.

Future Expansions? ;)

Yeah..great. Makes me happy to run around hundreds of hours in basic game, looking at those Schemata's every time i visit the forger with the knowledge, i will not be able to use this gear...within the next half a year or longer. Really great idea ^^

But NG+ was not planned as far as we know.
They never stated it was. But they had to plan it long way before making decisions about skill system with only 12 active slots and skills worth in total 270 skill points and leveling system preventing players to over level too much keeping the max legit level at 35-38 (which gives about 60-65 skill points with places of power). But keeping it in secret and revealing it later surely gave them more gaming media attention.

Yeah..great. Makes me happy to run around hundreds of hours in basic game, looking at those Schemata's every time i visit the forger with the knowledge, i will not be able to use this gear...within the next half a year or longer. Really great idea ^^

Each time you visit the blacksmith you go to the crafting tab, and scroll down through hundreds of items to click on and look at the 1 of like 50 swords you can craft but can't use? I don't buy it :p

Also it should be at most 3 months till the first expansion and probably 6-9 months for the second.

Last edited:
Until level 36 Cyclops lv 30 on Skellige Island gives more exp. After 36, use the level 32 Basilisk which will give good xp until level 38. Above that only 1 xp from every enemy.

Until level 36 Cyclops lv 30 on Skellige Island gives more exp. After 36, use the level 32 Basilisk which will give good xp until level 38. Above that only 1 xp from every enemy.

H-uh... never thought of that. I'm 37, might even try to get 38 then...

Top Bottom