How do you make the open world more interesting?

+
How do you make the open world more interesting?

I suggest we discuss what you want to add to the game, to make an open world more lively, deep and interesting. Now, I'm not talking about unique quests, but about a lot of similar tasks and opportunities that the player can discover in the open world. ;)

Why not implement an option to enter the tavern, sit down, eat something, and wash it down with some alcohol?
I am not suggesting making food and alcohol consumption mandatory, but it would create an atmosphere of a comfy get-together around the fire, with a steaming plate of gigot and a full mug of aromatic home-brewed beer.
In this "mode" Geralt will be able to get receive information or small quests from his drinking companions, listen to some stories or legends - in other words he will be able to find out about stuff he wouldn't find out about in a simple conversation.
All game long we are in a hurry, running back and forth but there is neither time nor chance for a meditative gathering with a mug of beer.
I am not talking about the cutscenes, but about a part of the gameplay.

Why not implement an option to enter the tavern, sit down, eat something, and wash it down with some alcohol?
I am not suggesting making food and alcohol consumption mandatory, but it would create an atmosphere of a comfy get-together around the fire, with a steaming plate of gigot and a full mug of aromatic home-brewed beer.
In this "mode" Geralt will be able to get receive information or small quests from his drinking companions, listen to some stories or legends - in other words he will be able to find out about stuff he wouldn't find out about in a simple conversation.
All game long we are in a hurry, running back and forth but there is neither time nor chance for a meditative gathering with a mug of beer.

Similar to RDR?

This sounds great, and is similar to what Geralt does in the books. As a side note, I think a "Hardcore" mode where you have to eat and drink would be nice, and give a use for all the food items. After about an hour of playtime, you have Swallow so all the food Geralt collects kind of goes to waste.

-----------------------------------------

My idea would require them to completely redesign their open world structure (so it's unrealistic), but I would like a more organic open world, with less quest markers everywhere. Similar to how the original version of Divinity Original Sin or Morrowind did it. You would have to listen to NPC's as they give directions, for example. Finding monsters wouldn't just be following the marker, the player would be able to find them logically. There's an over-reliance on Witcher senses in almost every quest.

More diversity of these "mini objectives" on the map would be nice too. There's only three of them, and they're copy pasted all over the map. If I kill a monster guarding treasure, give me loot that is actually worth the effort.

Less smuggler caches in Skellige would be great, perhaps replacing them with new ideas, like a fight against some giant sea monster, as in the Sword of Destiny book. In general, more reasons to go in the water in Skellige would be nice. There's very little to do; hardly any sunken towns, boats or hidden areas.

Last edited:
In one word: CHARACTER.
Even a small amount of effort there, can go a long way to make generic x feel like a memorable experience.

Instead of just wiping out bandits camps, they could add brief, unique scenarios to them...like bandits trying to train wild boars as if they were dogs, only for them to end up turning on them and Geralt ends up being caught in a funny, chaotic fight in between. Assign bandit leaders, give them names and some unique loot that fits them.

Or generic 80+ smuggling caches, replaced by only a few, but each having a personal story behind them or adding more lore concerning Skellige.

Also, while it makes perfect sense for CDPR to focus on Witcher activities, I think they could have put more effort into creating more unique areas to discover, like abandoned elven ruins, reclusive mage tower..that sort of thing. Places with a sense of history behind them.

Add environmental treasure hunts...please without any compass or PoI. Like discovering a note about treasure and you have to use your eyes just as if you were in the game. Find giant white oak tree, take fifty steps to the east, etc...these things keep player's attention "rooted" in the world.
That is why Ubisoft open world games always fail and I think CDPR should have taken more cues from Gothic than AC.

Last edited:
To me this is simple, but since most marketing teams see map size as a dick measuring contest I have my doubts whether CDPR will do it: make the world smaller and focus on more unique content. That would include fewer Ubisoft/Rockstar style side activities and more elaborate side quests. Also, I would add large underground environments. I see this as the key thing TES open world design has over TW3, the variety and pacing that comes with extensive underground levels. When you go underground in a TES game the dynamic changes - things get more tense and deadly, you typically have to use stealth, sound design and atmosphere change dramatically. TW3 mostly lacks this element. Basically, I'm hoping they steer back to open world RPG design instead of open world action game design.

Last edited:
To me this is simple, but since most marketing teams see map size as a dick measuring contest I have my doubts whether CDPR will do it: make the world smaller and focus on more unique content. That would include fewer Ubisoft/Rockstar style side activities and more elaborate side quests. Also, I would add large underground environments. I see this as the key thing TES open world design has over TW3, the variety and pacing that comes with extensive underground levels. When you go underground in a TES game the dynamic changes - things get more tense and deadly, you typically have to use stealth. Sound design and atmosphere change dramatically. TW3 mostly lacks this element. Basically, I'm hoping they steer back to open world RPG design instead of open world action game design.

Honestly, I wouldn't want them to go overboard with it, Skyrim and FO4 have far too many of it. And Witcher world is far more focused on realism, like Gothic which also had only few. Too many dungeons make the world feel like amusement park, in my opinion.
But even a few, with some background story behind them and in sensible places such as abandoned mines, would do a lot here.
Quest like in 13'th warrior where Eban and the crew discover series of caves with cannibals like Wendols. Here translated into a horror experience where you drop through a trap into series of underground tunnels... human skulls, blood on the walls, drums and chanting echoing through the caves... and your only quest goal is to get out alive.

more and different ecosystems , more elaborated monsters habitats not only nests, magic in the environment, like in w2, and to use the medallion to discover it,
animations for meditation and potion drinking, distinctive wild life, more birds,
specially important: elven and dwarven settlements , witcher contracts from them
scoita'tael attacking humans, and some special talking monster
interactions with non humans, for example the lady of the lake or the voidyanoi in tw1,
something i would love to see is a cutscene/cinematic of geralt cutting pieces/parts or a monster and mixing substances and making potions,
carts on the roads
more witches and mages to interact with, to trade and/or doing contracts for them

I suggest we discuss what you want to add to the game, to make an open world more lively, deep and interesting. Now, I'm not talking about unique quests, but about a lot of similar tasks and opportunities that the player can discover in the open world. ;)

Despite its huge open world, The Witcher 3 is still a largely story driven game, so the majority of content (~59% of all dialogues) is in main quests and large side-quests. That leaves its world that has been advertised as being 3.5 times the size of Skyrim's somewhat sparsely populated with unique content - perhaps the initial plans for the game were a bit overly ambitious.

I would like to see the ability to use armor of certain faction in order to infiltrate their bases and have some quest related to this infiltration. More monster NPC interaction as an example when geralt is near a village a gryphon attack pick a villager/animal and fly to its nest, geralt will need to follow. A group wild dogs surround a merchant trying to kill it.

Last edited:
Make the villages and the cities more live,not just by adding quests, but also with simulation of live.So the places will be the ones we remember not by witcher contract or story quest,but with random quests that we can hear by folks rumors (for example we should find the trail of sweets to Crones like that ) and by their behavior and situations the villages. In towns for example should be a lot of beggars that bump into your feets begging for a coins,and also thieves.that can rob you or anyone else. The sea and rivers also must be more live-with fishermans and trade boats on it, fishes and more monsters swimming and other things so your boat travel doesnt bore you.

Last edited:
If In a open world with much wild area,it may should focus on exploration.But in a city open world,it can't be filled with topographical design,dungeons and loots to adventure,so guess it could contains much minor game system.

Open world not complete without traffic

Implementing a traffic system will enhance open world immensely,like random encounters with mounted troops chasing bandits,bandits chasing or attacking merchant carts,mounted bandit attacks Geralt etc.

Implementing a traffic system will enhance open world immensely,like random encounters with mounted troops chasing bandits,bandits chasing or attacking merchant carts,mounted bandit attacks Geralt etc.

It would be great! But I think this is not going to happen

Last edited by a moderator:

1.Look at STALKER's A-Life.
2.Study it closely.
3.Replicate it as much as possible.
4. Learn from GSC's mistakes and victories.
5 ????
6. You just created one of the absolute best open world games ever made. Especially if your guys can program well. Good Job!

This would solve the traffic problem as well ... tenfold...

Last edited by a moderator:
1) I can see more creature, for example mini-boss rigger (on sewers novigrad) and another monster of wither 1 (Yaga and centipedemorph). More monsters in the locations.
2) More action on islands skellige, more monsters and quests and mini-boss maybe kraken. On Skellig most of the territory of the water would be to add more variety of underwater monsters, such as the toothy fish of medium size, and the treasures of which would have to dive deep.
3) Make plenty of quests such as some types of characters leuvaarden (his letter was on the board next to the Novigrad), slightly stronger monsters.
4)About Quest matter of national importance, I would like to be able to persuade Roche to go against the idea of nilfgaard and thus he would remain alive (overpersuasion had a choice).
5) A little more dialogue from the past or memories with the characters Triss, Yenifer and Ciri, or even some fun with them. Get plenty of memories and of Geralt.
6) Plenty of living creatures and monsters in Velenje, near Novigrad and Skellig.
7) Strengthen the main bosses and contract bosses in Witcher 3 Wild Hunt.

Last edited:
In towns for example should be a lot of beggars that bump into your feets begging for a coins,and also thieves.that can rob you or anyone else. The sea and rivers also must be more live-with fishermans and trade boats on it, fishes and more monsters swimming and other things so your boat travel doesnt bore you.

I can add that there is a crowd of people in the streets in Novigrad at night, especially in comparison to Vizima. And I do not like that. In Vizima, it is scary to walk in the streets in the dark, while in Novigrad, there is no difference. The strangest thing is that the street musicians do not leave the square at night and continue playing even if there is nobody on the square.

I guess not having to pay as much attention to the time of day (due to e.g. quest givers only being available at certain times) made the game more "streamlined" for the average player who would have seen it as an annoyance. Being able to meditate anywhere when not in combat may have similar reasons.

Top Bottom