How do you make the open world more interesting?

+
They are admittedly rather noticeable cracks in the game-world's illusion of realism. However, they're not particularly more illogical than other such strangely-placed loot we've seen in RPGs over the years. It's almost an expectation of the genre that treasure will make no sense.

There needs to be less loot and more valuable/relevant loot. I've got my own vision of a classic mode for TW3, that blends the best of TW2 and TW1. It is glorious, but I'm no designer.

I'm just teasing of course. TW3 is definitely one of the better examples, although video game logic still applies in certain areas.

Bethesda is the worst at this though. "This cave has been uninhabited for 100 years, there are cobwebs everywhere. Here's an apple." It's fresh, we promise.
There needs to be less loot and more valuable/relevant loot. I've got my own vision of a classic mode for TW3, that blends the best of TW2 and TW1. It is glorious, but I'm no designer.
Quite so. I would personally welcome more relevant rewards for dedicated adventurers. Powdered pearl, sapphire dust, hunters' boots, and rune-stones can only go just so far. . .

I'm just teasing of course. TW3 is definitely one of the better examples, although video game logic still applies in certain areas.

Bethesda is the worst at this though. "This cave has been uninhabited for 100 years, there are cobwebs everywhere. Here's an apple." It's fresh, we promise.

Whereas in Witcher games we get mugs of beer, with a head on them. At least the beer was still in the bottle in TW1 :)

@Dragonbird , what can we expect? It's magical, immersion-breaking, evervescent beer. We can't expect them to drink flat beer -- that would be rather cruel and unusual.

Last edited:
These questions, they keep me up at night. :wondering:

Someone put chest in this pleace and dot get it back, next come there bear and now this pleace is his terytory... Bear is guardian becouse he live there and to get this treasure first we need kill him.

Someone put chest in this place and dot get it back, next come there bear and now this place is his territory... Bear is guardian because he live there and to get this treasure first we need kill him.

I can understand this thinking, and it's what the devs want us to think, but it still doesn't make sense. I went to a small island of the coast of Faroe that had a bear guarding a treasure. Why would the sailors have landed there, when they could have seen the bear. The island was small, there wasn't a cave and bears aren't exactly quiet. It's not as if the bear left Faroe, and then swam in the ocean to get to this small island off the coast where he then attacked these sailors. :p

Repositioning of enemies!

After more than 100 hours of playtime, I know what kind of monster hide behind every cornern of the game...I think, a cool idea CDPR could implement in the next expansion or in future patches/ Goty edition is to change the original position of some enemies.

I think it would be cool for example entering a forest and find a fiend or a cyclops where once there was endregas... Or finding a werewolf/ vampire in the night time in a place that originally was safe.

I think this idea could give freshness to the game even for who is playing it from day 1

Even more cooler should be that enemies change their position automatically after some times. So in the forest where you found endregas you can find once a fiend, next time a leshen, next time a basilisk, next time a bunch of wolves.... And so on!...... Well, anyway I would be happy even if they implement just the first idea. :)

Who is with me ?

The best way to make a world more interesting is to start with the people that inhabit that world. I'm finding the world in this game to be very boring, simply because the NPCs everywhere are boring and lifeless. Settlements and towns are lifeless and hollow, void of proper NPC activity. They just stand around making the same comments day after day. NPCs' lives and purpose in the scene should be accounted for by their actions, with them living out daily routines and stuff rather than a hundred people dropped into a city street just for the sake of having a 'crowded city street'. Never once in this game have I felt that an NPC was a part of a town, that they had a home nearby, perhaps with a young family, had a job, or that he/she was even truly part of the very world they were in.

By the way, a huge minus is that neither torches nor Cat potion are required to search dungeons any longer, as was the case in the previous games.

1. Random encounters that are varied and randomly generated.
2. World quests like they are done in WoW: Legion

Radiant witcher contracts would be nice.
I'm not even memeing
It's good for combat training, feeling like a witcher on the hunt, getting random rewards, or some poor payment of 52 and a half Orens.
Also bring back Geral't friends!

I want animals, birds and plants to respond to changes in the weather and time of day:

Before it rains the frogs are starting to croak very loudly, the swifts are flying beneath the sky and water lilies are closing and diving under the water.
At sunset, cicadas chirp loudly.
Wolves and dogs begin to howl loudly before the storm.

Make it possible to romance literally every NPC in the game. Most characters already have a line they say when you press X, but if a dialogue line could be added where you could "convince" them to go to a restaurant with you or get a room with you, and then each character would just have their own skin put into the love scenes (like with all the prostitutes you can sleep with already in the game) then that would make the entire open world seem a lot more fun and "(s)explorable." Obviously a few extra sex scenes would have to be added to make it interesting, and the ones that appear for each "encounter" would likely be random, but otherwise I think it would be a pretty small addition with a big payout.

Maybe it should be possible to kill anyone and everyone too... It's not in Geralt's nature, sure, but throughout the story one does get to make other choices that go against what Geralt's nature apparently is, and those choices even influence the endings.

Make it possible to loot the guards you kill, or anybody you kill that you're not really supposed to kill. They're difficult to deal with when you accidentally use a sign and you don't feel like running! and then when you're done and it turns out they have nothing on them, it's super sad. It's just another thing that takes away from the realism of the open world, because realistically every NPC should be carrying something on them unless you kill them when they're completely naked. ...And even then.....

Lastly, it should be possible to open every door and look around. I guess this a difficult one for the developers because there are so many buildings and it takes time to design the interiors, but I know it was really frustrating when a door would actually be lit up when using Witcher senses and then it turned out to be a dud. This became especially annoying in places like Kaer Morhen, which was kind of supposed to be Geralt's home. Why wouldn't he be able to open the doors there? So yeah, it always wrecks the open world feel when you see someplace interesting but you can't access it. Ahem, kind of like huge army camp in the corner of the Velen map.

If there is anythign in this game, that needs better open world content, then its Skellige islands.

The games absolutely most rushed content of all, aside from the games cobmat and character development system that didnt got looked enough at.
Made for that already plenty of suggestions, how the open world coudl get improved, especialyl skellige and the basics for that are very simple_:

1) Reduce the Siren Orgies there by half and add alot more enemy diversity to SKellige, add Sharks as beasts, add Ghosts Ships as some kind of "water monster nests", replace them illions of smuggle nests with more ship wrecks, with underwater caves/ruins because not all parts of the sea must have been always a sea in the past maybe... add reavers/pirats and also huge usea monsters like sea snakes and a kraken as enemies there

2) add there also more druid enemies and so, not all druids must be friendly towards geralt, especially not after two specific events there that ruined the nature... to have also more mage like enemies in this game, which it has sadly way too less, instead only 99% of the tiem soldiers and archers..the very first and only mage enemy that you fight agaisnt is in HoS that one Ophiri..really rediculous to have in the whoel game just one single mage enemy .....
Make also Dryads return (Morenn)..Skellige woudl be a good place for them

3 Let the Vodyanoi also return as another option to make the enemies around and in Skellige Sea territory more diverse (also i nToussaint) because thats the region whey they live and where we met on them also as well in W1)..but more of them could live naturally in other regions liek Skellige in some kind of atlantis similar town or so under water

The plans for this game surely weren#t overly ambitious. WEhen you played through the game ect. and see that they dropped the support for this game after 2 expansions basically and the game has still tons of wasted potential for more content, then you must actually say that CDPR either massively lacks in the interest of making this game better, or they lacked from begin on the vision for this game,, because they planned already for this game ahead to be supported only for the 2 years of development time ect until B&W is released, and had for the rest of this game no vision.

Good games have vision,s how you imprive them and add content to them for more than just 2 years, you plan ahead for at least 10 years when you have created such a good vanilal game, that offers easily the foundation thats needed to add more content for it for the years to come...
But instead CDPR decided to throw witcher 3 now for a whiel firts into the dust ,so that they can work on their new IP Cyberpunk 2077... a game, which has a great risk, that it can eventually flop, while they have with the witcher series already a strong and dave powerhorse IP, that is incomplete and could offer alot more great content still for many more years (thats how I do see it)

Its really sad too see, how extremely underdeveloped and not very well and completelythought out the design of Skellige is, compared to Toussaint, which looks like a sparkling diamond compared to Skellig that is full of life and diversive life....

its not just only brilliant, its simply logical for a region like Skellige, that such a huge sea that is full of all kinds of pirats and reavers that do evil things, that there should be also several ghost ships to find on the sea, which are either cursed and full of Draugrs, or which are full of spirits like pestas and penitents ect. or other forms of undeads like cursed skelletons (curse of caribique!!!! anyone!!!?? Captain Sparrow and Balterossa's cursed gold, would have been such a perfect trivia as homage there for a bigger on sea quest line....)

If this game would have made much more usage of its tons of wasted potential, i personally could have easily waited 1-2 years more for the release of Witcher 3, if the game would have been then the iltimate 3 in 1 trilogy with much better and diversive bestiary, a much better designed and balanced combat and character development system with more quality of life features, like giving Geralt a pet and alot of QoL improvements around the merchants in this game, with a story system, that does't let all characters disappear practically from the game the moment you complete the mainstory, a NG+ feature, that can be used infinitely and with improved quest design so that there aren't two forced fail marks in the game andy many many other improvements worth it basicalyl to completely rework the whole game like bringign the vanilla game to the optical same level as liek toussaint from begin on

All that are thigns that woudl it have been worth it for to wait longer for the release of the game and by the time we would have waited longer, they could have integrated the two expansions directly as part of the game and its main story to connect everythign together, so that they could have worked instead on different regions like Kovir and Aedirn as expansions instead to include also back Saskia and Iorveth

that would be for me the perfect witcher 3 game then for that I absolutely would have waited for longer

Yes - Ghost ships.
Ghost ships with skeletons on Skellige this idea is just BRILLIANT!
Awesome idea.

What I always respected CD Projekt for is that they did not have ordinary spiders and skeletons for the genre. The spiders (arachnomorphs) have already been added; so maybe we will do without the skeletons? Please.

Top Bottom