How do you play Geralt? True to the canon or true to yourself?

+

How do you play Geralt? True to the canon or true to yourself?

• True to the canon: I try to decide like I think the literary Geralt would act.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • True to myself: I make decisions on my own set of rules and principles.

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • I plan to do both in multiple playthroughs.

Votes: 39 41.5%

• Total voters
It depends on the situation really, some moments make me feel like Geralt his choice would clash with mine so I weigh the possible pros and cons.

I normally do both, I normally play such games at least 2 times.
In the case of the Witcher my decisions often correlate with Geralts.

Even on my first playthrough of the Witcher 1 and 2, before i read the books, i tried to stay as close to Geralt as possible. I guess CDPR gave a good impression to me on who Geralt was because i did pretty much every decision like what Geralt would do from the books.

This.
I hadn't read the novels when i played Witcher 2, so i was surprised by how similar my choices were in the game to the original Geralt. I think CDP did a good job portraying Geralt. furthermore like another poster said most of the choices given are within his character..

I tend to choose similarly to Geralt,
Which makes the games and the respective main hero so awesome and interesting to me.
So my first playthrough will normally be just instinctive
my second one will either be completely canon (as far as that's possible) or just for the sake of it a different one with different choices made to see all parts of the game.

THey make a good job of offering a selection of "reasonable enough" choices, that could often fit Geralt. so the player often has freedom while staying within character :)

Always as myself, I dont like playing after a recipe . I do what feels right in the moment for my Geralt.

In ME, the playthrough where I made decisions to fit some predefined archetype (Paragon, Renegade) felt artificial. The playthrough where I wasn't subordinate to a strict profile felt much more organic and enjoyable. It's a bit different with Geralt since there is a canon, prodding me in the back of my mind. So I suppose a mostly canon depiction, but with some variations when my gut tells me to.

The funny thing is how even through several playthroughs of games, there are always some decisions I find hard to make.

True to myself most of the time
for an example I always side with the Scoiatel and never remain neutral
book geralt probably wouldn't approve but hey its a RPG so I can do it
Still I do try to justify it with the lore most of the time

For the people who read all the books:

Do you think that siding with Iorveth in TW2 is really true to the canon? Do you think the literary Geralt would have done that? I'd love to hear your opinions and arguments why or why not you think so. :)

Do you think that siding with Iorveth in TW2 is really true to the canon? Do you think the literary Geralt would have done that? I'd love to hear your opinions and arguments why or why not you think so. :)

Oh man, this is the toughest choice for me. I really do not know what Geralt would do. I mean about the "give him or do not give him the sword" part.
I guess he could just do either. I personally slightly lean on giving him the sword, but every time I am at that point, I have to stop and think it through for 10 mins or so :p

It's a bit of a mixture for me, but most of the time, what I end up choosing naturally lines up nicely with how Geralt was in the books, so I don't have that much of a debate there. I think it's important to note that CDPR has the intention for each player to choose their own Geralt, and they've allowed for this with the magical tool that is memory loss. Geralt still wants to figure out his past, of course, but the development of his actual character and personality is something left open for the players to decide. Most of us who have read the books will however end up gravitating towards the character we know from them when rebuilding his personality, but that's not to say that one way or the other is the 'right way.' The games allow us - and encourages - to mould our own Geralt.

I never sided with Iorveth. Sometimes I accepted his offer of a lift to Vergen, because I was in a hurry to get there and Roche seemed more interested in Loredo than in rescuing Triss. Sometimes I also rescued him from the barge because I felt guilty about causing my old friend Zoltan trouble by helping Roche capture Iorveth after Zoltan had given his word to the Scoiatel. And when I got to Vergen, I supported the dwarves because they were good people about to be invaded.

None of which had anything to do with Iorveth's political views, and all of which was, I thought, consistent with a neutral witcher.

(I also went with Roche for several times, again as a neutral witcher who was definitely NOT siding with Henselt).

It's a bit of a mixture for me, but most of the time, what I end up choosing naturally lines up nicely with how Geralt was in the books, so I don't have that much of a debate there. I think it's important to note that CDPR has the intention for each player to choose their own Geralt, and they've allowed for this with the magical tool that is memory loss. Geralt still wants to figure out his past, of course, but the development of his actual character and personality is something left open for the players to decide. Most of us who have read the books will however end up gravitating towards the character we know from them when rebuilding his personality, but that's not to say that one way or the other is the 'right way.' The games allow us - and encourages - to mould our own Geralt.

There is no right and wrong here. That's why I seperated "true to the canon" from "true to yourself" instead of calling one right and one wrong.

If you want to rebuilt Geralt's character like you wish without staying perfectly true to the book do so. It's not wrong on an objective level.

I just opened this thread because I thought that there might be the wish of many book readers to have the option to rebuilt Geralt's character as exactly as possible as we know it from the books. That's just a personal wish and nothing that should be forced upon someone of course.

It's not even all about the decisions themselves (like option A or B, Iorveth or Roche for example) but also how the dialogue is written and how Geralt answers. It's a hot wire act of course. Two slightly different tones can change the mood of a melody without actually changing the full song if you know what I mean. ;)

TW2 never forces you to support Iorveth, even on Iorveth path. There're a couple of relevant conversations where you have the opportunity to say you agree with his ideals, but you can always give another justification for your actions. They did a pretty good job of NOT forcing you into a viewpoint you may not think correct.

TW2 never forces you to support Iorveth, even on Iorveth path. There're a couple of relevant conversations where you have the opportunity to say you agree with his ideals, but you can always give another justification for your actions. They did a pretty good job of NOT forcing you into a viewpoint you may not think correct.
Yeah, I know. The problem is that imo the literary Geralt would never go down the Iorveth path in the first place. Iorveth's personal motives are only one part of the equation.
The literary Geralt for example would imho never let elves burn down a human village and kill all the inhabitants. He would never support or accompany someone who would support that or did it himself no matter if he shares his political and personal motives or not.

Exactly, that is why the decision is so tough for me. And it is narrowed down to the point when Geralt has to decide, if he is going to give Iorveth his sword, which means he would give the elf a fair chance at survival, while he is chasing Letho, or punch him in the face, which means he will not betray Roche's trust. Since the fighting is inevitable, and people will die, either Iorveth is on the ground or he is standing up fighting, I tend to give him the sword. Also this decision will decide my later decision, of following Iorveth or Roche, since I can't really see how Roche would want to work with Geralt after he gives Iorveth his way out, or the elves to work with Geralt, the man who got their leader captured.

I have to say though, I do enjoy the Iorveth path more, mainly because we get to work with Yarpen and the lot..
There is no canon path to be found though, because it all makes sense. So I guess, good job CDPR, you are making my noggin hurt.

I gave him the sword, at that moment I was pissed at Roche for interfering, though it was not all his fault Loredos men attacked at that moment.

Geralt says its so nicely on the barge when Iorveths said he chose the right side. And Geratl just goes, that he wishes he could be sure.
Geralt is in an impossible situation, I think he would use someone like Iorveths as a short term ally to achive his goals, that doesnt mean he has to support Iorveth.

Top Bottom