How does Cerys: Fearless work?

+

Easha

Forum regular
How does Cerys: Fearless work?

To collect some of her interactions and avoid misplays.

Some interactions I found so far:
  • Cerys has to be present on the field unlocked when you discard a unit for her effect to trigger(Duh!)
  • she does NOT work with manual discard (manual discard is treated differently than standard diascard)
  • Ciri: Dash is resurrected AT ONCE without entering the graveyard, so Ciris effect is not triggerd, she remains at 11. --> the target does not enter the graveyard first
  • If you discard an auto ressurrect unit like Morkvarg or Raider, Cerys' effect still triggers and is therefore wasted (Morkvarg keeps the 9 points, though)
  • Cerys' target does NOT count as played from hand (Duh again!)
  • when using with bran, she resurrects the FIRST target you marked

A possible bug: When using Iris' Companions as last card while Cerys is on the board the card you serached your deck for will nogt be resurrected and remains discarded in your graveyard without triggering Cerys' effect.

If you find some other interactions (especially cross faction ones in arena mode), post them here please.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.

:hatsoff:

Cerys has to be present on the field unlocked when you discard a unit for her effect to trigger"
While it's understandable, I kinda had hoped it would be a trigger effect. Yeah, you do want to have a possible counter, but Yennefer: Enchantress also works that way, except you play her at the end instead of the start.

Easha;n10570062 said:
Ciri: Dash is resurrected AT ONCE without entering the graveyard, so Ciris effect is not triggerd, she remains at 11. --> the target does not enter the graveyard first
It could be the same with Tuirseach Skirmisher. So, Cerys works properly with Bran (which of three cards will be resurrected?) Ermion, Svanrige, Udalryk, Lugos, Cat and Dog, Drummond Warmonger and Johhny. Not bad.
Among all new cards, I think Cerys is the less "arenable".

Easha

Forum regular
I already tested Bran. She resurrects the first card you have chosen, I edited the first post accordingly.

masttt23;n10570912 said:
It could be the same with Tuirseach Skirmisher. So, Cerys works properly with Bran (which of three cards will be resurrected?) Ermion, Svanrige, Udalryk, Lugos, Cat and Dog, Drummond Warmonger and Johhny. Not bad.
Among all new cards, I think Cerys is the less "arenable".

Erm, you don't want to risk playing 6 str gold to resurrect a card (which would most likely be bronze) later.

The only possibly good interaction (discarding Ciri: Dash) is ruined by the fact Ciri doesn't strenghen.

Easha

Forum regular
Skirmisher works as intended. He does not have to be in the graveyard, the strengthening condition is "when resurrected" unlike Ciri's "whenever enters graveyard".

Easha

Forum regular
Exactly. Morkvarg does not weaken, because he is resurrected by Cery before his own effect triggers.

Easha;n10570062 said:
[...]
  • she does NOT work with manual discard (manual discard is treated differently than standard diascard)
  • Ciri: Dash is resurrected AT ONCE without entering the graveyard, so Ciris effect is not triggerd, she remains at 11. --> the target does not enter the graveyard first

[...]

The fact that she does not work properly with Ciri: Dash is disappointing. Manual discard would be a good fallback and I don't know why this is not a thing. For example acquiring the 2 more points one need with a manual discard on the an Craite Marauder with a pretty dead hand in R3.

Does she work with Queensguard?
E.g. Cerys:Fearless into Bran - discarding all 3 Queensguard. That 23 point play in 2 turns would be pretty embarassing not to mention.

Edit: I assume it won't work. The first unstrengthened Queensguard (4) would ressurect without the second and third (5) being in the graveyard already.

Last edited:
I guess with C:Fearless you don't have to worry about Iris Companions or Udalryk discarding a gold card or some other card you actually need.
But it seems too easy to counter this gold card. And often it probably won't get you enough value to justify the high risk.

At the same time, for Arena it probably requires too much setup to be viable. We'll see...

DRK3

Forum veteran
Well, im trying her already, on a deck with Cerys, Cerys Fearless, Ciri Dash and Ermion. Olgierd and Morkvarg for maximum discard / ressurects.

Im also using Johnny, but found out he has terrible synergy with Cerys Fearless, unlike what i had expected. This is because you want to use Johnny on Ciri Dash or Cerys, you WANT those to go to the graveyard, if you're ressurecting them with Cerys Fearless you're not getting much out of it.

Will explore further, but as of now, its one of the worst new Golds, and most are really bad!

Mineraldo;n10577262 said:
One question I have...
Does 'deploy' hability trigger when the unit is ressurrected by Cerys: Fearless?

Yes! You're basically playing it from your graveyard. You choose where you place the unit too.

I got her in my third keg today. I think she's a great card but it's so hard to use. I've been using her as a finisher with Dimun Pirates for a 22 point drop. I'm sure there's some combos I haven't found yet. I think it's one of those high risk/high reward cards. Her ability is really interesting in my opinion, probably one of the best designed cards this patch. I wouldn't pick her in Arena though.

DRK3;n10575822 said:
[...]Will explore further, but as of now, its one of the worst new Golds, and most are really bad!

OG.laloquaint;n10577692 said:
[...]Her ability is really interesting in my opinion, probably one of the best designed cards this patch. [...]

Great design, but she got the Triss:Butterflies issue. A bronze clears the gold your whole deck relies on. She needs atleast some armor, given the current removal state having her in Alzurs Thunder Range is fine but a 6 strength removal is too easy. 3 Armor to start things of.
An idea I think is a lot better:
Give her a deathwish that locks itself when she uses her ability, could be worded as "Effort: If a card was ressurected lock own deathwish." Her deatwish could be: "Spawn a Queensguard." I think that would be flavourful and would even out the point discrepancy you got if a silver mage or Vaedermakar clears her with Alzurs Thunder. Most importantly Queensguard synergy. Clearing her could mean to ressurect all your opponents Queensguard, which would be fine because it occurs only with that archetype and there are still locks.

With Iris' Companions as the last card in hand you can play any card from your deck without the random discarding :)

DRK3

Forum veteran
TV_JayArr I disagree. First of all, when you play Triss Butt, her effect takes place at least once before the opponent is able to do anything, so you always get something out of her.

Second, if Triss Butt isnt dealt with - i know its rare in this control- heavy meta - she is incredibly powerful, specially on Swarm decks, while this Cerys Fearless, even if you're able to have her effect, i cant see how it provides enough value for a Gold.

DRK3 To clarify this. You described what I meant. I was talking about the artlessness of clearing this gold unit which you rely on heavily the moment you play it. Because not only do you lose the ability of Cerys but on top of that it becomes a negative point play because it is not locked - which would be fine and healthy - it is destroyed. Triss: Butterflies is more than just an overkill if it stays unanswered I know that, I didn't intent to refer to the strength gain cap of those two cards. It's simply the missing gold immunity that hurts Cerys: Fearless strongly.

Ghinko;n10578502 said:
With Iris' Companions as the last card in hand you can play any card from your deck without the random discarding :)

Hi, actually I just experimented with this interaction. I am experimenting with various finishers and combos, and having Iris' Companions (Lesser Demons) as your last card, will forcibly discard the Card you choose, and Cerys Fearless will NOT trigger. I think this is a bug and opened a new post about it on the forums. For now, what you can do, and still get the same effect, is use Lesser Demons as next to last card. Lesser Demons will discard one of the 2 cards remaining, which means you play it immediately on the field and the remaining card is placed on the subsequent turn.

So the order of play is with 3 cards in Hand:

1. Cerys Fearless
2. Lesser Demons (Iris' Companions) --> Select the card you want. A card will discard and be immediately played whether the card you selected or the one remaining in Hand.
3. Last card is played

Its a fun interaction. I think Cerys Fearless is very powerful with SK discard mechanics. And unfortunately I think a lot of people are going to realize this, and Cerys is going to be #1 disruption priority when played sorta like Succubus is for Monsters.

Other things you can do is combo her with Johnny, but I find that too random, and hard to control. Lesser demons has shown the best results so far.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. You can combo her with Uldaryk for a poor man's version of Djkstra. Though this is really meme, you can combo her with Bran in a QG deck to summon out all your QG (selecting a QG as your first target) with some raiders, for Morvan reveal type tempo. Less meme, you can combo with Bran to bring out Olgierd, Morkvaarg + whatever.

Easha

Forum regular
Iris' Companions is especially great with Ciri: Dash and Royal Decree as last two cards. I prefer usuing Cerys with other discards like Svanrige to get both cards. I am currently running this list but discard itself seems to be not that competetive in the current meta.

I added the possible bug with our two black cuties in the first post.

Such a shame, the card was so cool on paper but yeah, in her current form I don't see how she can be realistically playable.
Not only she has to stay on board but her effect doesn't make the cut either.

They should have made her being a Gold preistess that resurrects the last card you discarded, at least her value would have been guaranteed.

I'm still gonna try to build a deck around her but I don't keep my hope very high, it's probably one of, if not the worst Gold in SK (in the game?).
Don't quote me on that, maybe we will find something awesome that we all missed at some point, but I doubt it.

DRK3;n10578912 said:
TV_JayArr I disagree. First of all, when you play Triss Butt, her effect takes place at least once before the opponent is able to do anything, so you always get something out of her.

Second, if Triss Butt isnt dealt with - i know its rare in this control- heavy meta - she is incredibly powerful, specially on Swarm decks, while this Cerys Fearless, even if you're able to have her effect, i cant see how it provides enough value for a Gold.

Agreed, Triss butt is actually fairly good now, a very very underhestimated card.
In the right deck/setup, she guarantees a pretty decent amount of value and if she stays alive, she's is an auto win most of the time.

Top Bottom