How does Count Caldwell work?

+
The fact that something "can be learned through experience" does not mean that it is a good mechanic.

But it does mean it requires skill. Caldwell is a card where you'll need to think about how and when to play him (unless you sacrifice him with Mo or NR). WHR uses the dominance principle and once you've learned that you can apply it to all cards with the same ability. Whether or not WHR is too strong compared to others is besides the point. As for Caldwell's RNG, it's easier to look at Curse of Corruption. It states: destroy the highest unit. When two units have the same strength, what do you think will happen? This makes you think about the game.

But it does mean it requires skill...
What is the required skill when there are are few 10 STR units on the board and he randomly jumps around the board? What does "thinking" here means? "Thinking" as praying to RNJesus? Is it so hard to make a rule about these mechanics? Will it hurt so much or will it be actually more fair/helpful towards both players, instead of the RNG roulette that we have now?

It is not fun, it is not competitive, what it is is irritating.

I have to agree; if it's not clear, it shouldn't exist. There's no place for random in this game. The numbers are often too low, so a 20 point swing is absolutely massive and incredibly frustrating if you're on the receiving end. All they have to say is "if more than one card is strongest, Caldwell will not move." or "if more than one card is the strongest, Caldwell moves to the side of the board with the highest total" which is more Lore-related.

What is the required skill [...]

Like I've said, the skill comes from knowing when to play Caldwell because he is a double-edged sword. When the situation arises that both sides have the highest unit, only then the RNG kicks in. However, before that, there are many things to consider. Caldwell is a card where you actually need to think. If not, and you just blindly slap him on the board, you are going to lose. Yet everyone is hung up on just the single aspect of RNG, while ignoring everything else.

"if more than one card is the strongest, Caldwell moves to the side of the board with the highest total" which is more Lore-related.

Good suggestion but what happens if both players have the same total ? 50/50 again :shrug:

Like I've said, the skill comes from knowing when to play Caldwell because he is a double-edged sword.

I think that everybody agree on this point, this what makes Caldwell interesting. He would be better with a determinitic rule btw...

(I might be one of the few that find RNG, to some extent, is quite funny to play with, and I had good laughs with this Caldwell-ruining-the-game-at-the-last-moment)

DRK3

Forum veteran
Seriously, CDPR needs to fix this [card]. I didnt play this month until yesterday, returned to help out a friend starting in, but the game already pissed me off - and this time was not repetitive netdecks or lack of balance among factions...

it was just bloody Caldwell costing me two games that i should have won, but he does whatever the hell he wants. Apparently, if Caldwell is played by the opponent on last turn, and at that time he has the highest unit, it doesnt matter that i manage to obtain highest unit with my last card, because he doesnt change sides anymore...

I got 400hours with Homecoming (not to mention time in Beta...), and this stupid card is the only thing i cant seem to figure out.:shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently, if Caldwell is played by the opponent on last turn, and at that time he has the highest unit, it doesnt matter that i manage to obtain highest unit with my last card, because he doesnt change sides anymore...

Yet everything is still mentioned in the card's description, except for the dominance RNG. In your case:

Every allied turn, on turn end, move to the row with the highest unit on the battlefield.

It does say allied (as in the one who played the card), meaning if the turn doesn't go back to the opponent, Caldwell doesn't recheck the dominance.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yet everything is still mentioned in the card's description, except for the dominance RNG. In your case:

Every allied turn, on turn end, move to the row with the highest unit on the battlefield.

It does say allied (as in the one who played the card), meaning if the turn doesn't go back to the opponent, Caldwell doesn't recheck the dominance.

I understand, but its too unfair, apart from a minority of decks, most decks dont have, and in fact, actually avoid putting units bigger to 8, to avoid the threat of Geralts and Bonharts, so playing a Caldwell as last card just seems too safe.

Caldwell is 10 pts and costs 8 provisions - that is the best ratio for big units, which is justified by the risk of playing him and going to the other side. Since he already counts himself, that condition is easier to avoid. If he also doesnt change if played last turn, the risk of playing him becomes minimal, compared to its benefit.

Hi, I want to ask you all about the biggest confusion I had after the Nilfgaard patch that just rolled out, and Caldwell's abilities changed in that his Dominance ability now excludes self. What was strange in one of my game is that I had a 7 strength unit on melee as highest unit, and the opponent had 7 strength unit on melee as highest unit. I put Caldwell on my ranged row and when I ended my turn Caldwell moved to my melee row. Opponent played his turn, and I passed on my turn. Right after I passed my Caldwell moved to the opponent's melee row, giving him the lead; however, my opponent passed as well in which Caldwell moved back to my melee row. This is all so confusing, someone explain please.

Hi, I want to ask you all about the biggest confusion I had after the Nilfgaard patch that just rolled out, and Caldwell's abilities changed in that his Dominance ability now excludes self. What was strange in one of my game is that I had a 7 strength unit on melee as highest unit, and the opponent had 7 strength unit on melee as highest unit. I put Caldwell on my ranged row and when I ended my turn Caldwell moved to my melee row. Opponent played his turn, and I passed on my turn. Right after I passed my Caldwell moved to the opponent's melee row, giving him the lead; however, my opponent passed as well in which Caldwell moved back to my melee row. This is all so confusing, someone explain please.

Both of you having a 7pt unit, Caldwell moved randomly between the 2 rows. Same as before, except that you do not count Caldwell (hehe)

Guest 4344268

Man, Count Caldwell is a menace now. Fun card but so high risk. I used to use him to bait out a juicy target for Imlerith Wrath but you can't play him out safely now without another card to lock him down. You really have to factor that into his provision cost...

DRK3

Forum veteran
I really like how Caldwell excludes self now, but it seems he's still too erratic when both players have the same value on highest unit.

Had a weird match were i was winning R3, and the opponent needed 10pts to win, and he played Uma, and he was taking long... Caldwell is exactly 10pts... but i guess he didnt know this new version of Caldwell because this happened:

Uma into (new) Caldwell - I win (1 CA down even).jpg

Caldwell changed rows, even though it was the very last play!

It is ridiculous that Caldwell moving to the opponent's side is completely random when both players have the highest unit. This is absolutely terrible RNG; it is literally gambling. Surely a 20 point gamble should have no place a strategic game. As suggested above, please let him stay on the same side when both players have the highest unit.

Missed this earlier. But now that I look at the screenshot, @DRK3 , I'm not so sure it is totally random. What I see is that there are three 5 str units on your side, and only two on the opponent's side. The third one will only exist after the turn, which is outside of the match. So it is totally plausible to assume that in case of a tie the number of highest units are taken into account, is it not?
I hope some good guys will test the theory in friend matches.

So it is totally plausible to assume that in case of a tie the number of highest units are taken into account, is it not?

Kinda, but that would lead to inconsistencies with other Dominance-like effects, e.g. Corruption. Instead, every unit gives you extra odds. So, theoretically, if you have 10 highest units and the opponent has 1, then the opponent has a 10% chance of getting Caldwell.

Top Bottom